Elaine JamesClothing Designer Female Windsor, Connecticut, US
My Website: Elant Design Connection, LLCMy MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/elantdesign
Mayhem # 1370996
About MeI am a Connecticut Native that joined the fashion world at a more mature age than most. Both my parents were factory workers and money was scarce, so college was never considered. Creativity runs in the family. My mother was a self-taught sewer who made many clothes for her children and herself. Ironically, I had no interest in sewing until the age of 16 when I developed a love for the process of creating clothes from scratch. Over the years I made clothes for friends and family.
In 2002 my husband and I started a custom embroidery business so I could utilize my creative talents. Still, the desire to delve further into fashion remained rooted in my soul. Finally at the age of 45, with the encouragement of my husband, I enrolled in the fashion program at Gibbs College, at last realizing a lifelong dream to pursue a career in fashion design. I am a practical person, but have never been afraid to take on a challenge, even at my age. If I fail, I just pick myself up and keep moving forward.
People ask me what designer inspires me. I never really identified with any one in particular. I find beauty in every design. I love life. I find inspiration in just about everything, even negative experiences. The same way writers or painters draw on their emotions when they create, is how I create. My goal is to design pieces that bring out the best in a person. Not just physically but emotionally. If I do that, I have succeeded.
Credits• WCCC Rocks The Runway Show held November 9th, 2013 at the Hard Rock Cafe Foxwoods benefiting IMAGINE - Imagine Peace campaign.
• Redefine the Runway 2010 Show - New Britain, CT held May 7, 2010 (organized by CCSU students) Benefiting HOPE for Ariang Foundation in Southern Sudan for displaced refugees, an organization dedicated to providing access to education, opportunities, and resources, with a special focus on women and girls.
• Project Red Carpet Runner up at Oscar Party for the Connecticut AIDS Resource Coalition held at DISH in Hartford on March 7, 2010. Designs for the competition were featured on Channel 8's Connecticut Style on March 2, 2010.
• Member of the A Symphony of Fashion Show Committee on the production of a fundraiser event held at the Aqua Turf Club in Plantsville, CT on November 15, 2009 for the benefit of the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.
• Fall 2009 Collection presented at “A Change of Attitude” Fashion Show at the Manchester Historic Society charity event.
• Fashion Designs featured in Spring 2009 Edition of “BRAG” Magazine
• Fashion Designs featured in Spring 2009 “BRAG Showroom Event”