Johnny MartyrPhotographer Male Frederick, Maryland, US
My Website: MartyrPhotoMy MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/JohnnyMartyr
Mayhem # 834065
Johnny Martyr's photography has been featured in several progressive Baltimore art galleries including St. Paul Pavilion and Balance as well as Gallery 61 in Buffalo, New York. He has photographed autism advocate Sarah Stup for book covers and website art as well as investigative journalist, Sonia Shah to promote her new book. You can find him in local music clubs shooting bands like Hangdog and PromiseLab. He's also active on the political scene, having photographed noteworthy persons such as Ralph Nader and Bill Clinton.
Martyr shoots almost exclusively on 35mm film with classic manual cameras, some hailing from as far back as the 1950's, that he has refurbished himself.
Martyr firmly believes in a photojournalistic approach to the image. Even his posed photos contain elements of improvisation. He finds that shooting on film helps him stay in The Now, looking for the next photo instead of studying an LCD screen of the last shot.
The organic quality of film requires little editing in order to create a compelling atmosphere, which allows him to remain dedicated to the moment, even "in post." Natural light contributes to the sense of sincerity and honesty in Martyr's body of work. He doesn't use a flash or additional lighting.
Please contact him for portraits, concert photos, weddings, production stills or promotional shots of any kind.
• 2014 Featured Photos, Mid Atlantic Analog Photographers | ArtistsAngle Gallery, Frederick, MD
• 2014 Featured Photo, Das Portratobjektiv | PhotoKlassik Magazine
• 2013 Featured Photographer | www.AndBeThere.com
• 2012 Young Masters #09 | Analog Lifestyle www.Lomography.com
• 2012 Featured Photo, Baltimore Cinema | Where Magazine
• 2012 Featured Photo, A 10 Step Guide to Superb Minimalist Photography | www.ShootingFilm.net
• 2009 Promotional Photos for author Sonia Shah | SoniaShah.com
• 2008 Assorted Fine Art Prints for group show | Gallery 61, Buffalo, New York
• 2007-2009 Event Photos for Erikson Way Magazine & Production Stills for Television Commercials | Erickson Living
• 2007 Gallery Show of Rosewood Asylum Series | Balance Salon, Baltimore, MD
• 2006 Art Exhibit Photography for author Sarah Stup | St Paul Pavilion, Stevenson, MD
• 2002-2004 Production Stills for various student films | Villa Julie College