Forums > Newbie Forum > CLT's Survival Guide For MM Newbies

Photographer

john vriesema

Posts: 438

Hartwick, New York, US

I chose this one/forum/ because myself new but been around in life.
The what I see out there on Model Mayhem.
If author of this form letter wish it gone or moved inform me with ideas.
I see this as an in site to helping not hurting the members
I reread what I write. I spell check but I’m not perfect trust me.
If you see my stuff/ reviews in poetic form or the like to keep it that way, because Model Mayhem form does not keep poetry in form..>>!!!””,,--- hence those marks.
Remember that is art, talent too!!!! MY WAY
        GLAD you joined, However personally I'm a 6 month or there about-s  member, but I upped from free. I've been searching for a model to shoot (camera) this year. I usually go to CPW.  (org) That’s the NY workshop place to go. Again, however this year they had no body study/body/ or nude model workshops  for MEN. An all female only in this day and age of Discrimination. WOW!
Yet I do shoot both sexes, I know lots of men would not want a all male- body workshop. Yes my preference too.
  Why I'm posting here. I reached out to a few>> two nude models, that been on for a time from what I know. (not a new bee) Okay 3 models, but  also though her face book site I discovered maturity does matter. potty-mouth. C’mon face book --place of polite ladies and children. Is not anything safe and clean. So it does tell the U of you. Unsafe Unique, Unreal, Unhinged etc.>>>U
Let me remind all Face-Book or  My Space show the person too.
In the President's own words
‘To know me look who surrounds me.’ Or in words close to that. It proves true, so in general it shows who you are. In those words he did not lie. I also know this is not a political forum, but MY face book shows>> My beliefs, and thinking.  I don't hide it. Being true to yourself is being the real yourself.
Truth I'm an American, a Veteran with respect for OUR Country.

    I also write a lot of my reviews of model in poetic form.
I also suggest to meet before, {Public  place/ coffee, tea the real me} What I call a, "Meet and Greet" a safe way to exchange info. That to will tell a lot on, who is who. Yes  not a wasted day, because go with the idea you will go forward and shoot. Follow me to my studio, my place. Well if they show up with body parts in their car, you’ll know you can leave more freely.
In writing on a person site  [HERE} I found people don't bother to thank, or acknowledge the other person who commented on U.  This both being poor salesmanship, because that is what we all are doing, or a simple act of being polite. I guess that says it all. I use the TAGs for true feelings of a picture. Besides respect I do take interest in a nude body. If your a naturalist you learn to respect your body. I also been the model so that in it’s self carries respect. 
SO IF YOUR ON HERE let us make it real, and work. If your not serious you should not waste another's time.
These are my beliefs and mine only, but I would guess most would agree.
Find me   JPV8

Aug 21 10 11:04 am Link

Model

toshia Wilson

Posts: 2

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I have had two guys contact me about work. when I ask about the websites and validating for safety they tell me the websites are under construction! I am assuming that this is not common to do if so give me the in and outs on it.

Aug 25 10 09:22 am Link

Model

toshia Wilson

Posts: 2

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I have had 3 scammers try and contact me! Please be aware I am new to this but not that new!

Aug 25 10 09:39 am Link

Model

Miss Melrose

Posts: 13

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Thanks for this guide! i found it really usefull and it has (i hope) stopped me from asking a few dumb things and/or things that there are already posts for smile

Sep 02 10 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

TMP-NY

Posts: 1

New York, New York, US

First of all I am a photographer. I do find the survival guide very helpful and especially the paragraph == ADDRESSING NUDITY == from the stand point of a model. While in this paragraph you are asking models to handle this sensitive issue in a polite respectful way, it, at the same time contains a contradiction by using the term "pervert" for photographers asking.

Well, I agree that there are different kinds of nude photography and unfortunately not all are good. (this is Mayhems screening responsibility) On the other hand, did Helmut Newton or Herb Ritts, whose work is represented in the worlds finest Museums and for example by Sotherby's   disqualify themselves as perverts by making the suggestion of nudity to a model, lets say, like in Herb Ritts case Cindy Crawford?

Respect should go both ways to prohibit escalation, by using the above term you take the steam out of your arguments and justify what you were just arguing against.

Thomas

Oct 02 10 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Posts: 2350

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

the difference is that Herb Ritts never solicited models via the internet.
It would be a face to face casting inside a famous agency's office.
I have no problem asking the strangest of things to a model face to face,
but via the internet I have no idea if I am talking to a professional or an amateur, or whether they are on the same wavelength as me, whether their interest is money, or a passion for imagery, or a passion for photographers and performing etc.

Until recently I worked in London and never used the internet, I have "top" experience, photographed Natalie Imbruglia etc and I have scouted models to/for Storm models professionally (i.e. got paid for it).

You have to ask yourself one thing. Why do model agents not choose via internet???
They always ask you to come in for a face to face meeting and assessment.
That is because you can not truly assess or give good advice to someone based on only seeing their images, you need to meet them and get a good look, however skilled you are, even the best do not dare to guess.

While the internet is a fantastic thing, be aware it is a virtual reality, or virtually real, therefore not quite real and therefore not the real thing.

The fantastic thing about this forum is that a newbie can learn from a pro model and also from a veteran internet/GWC type model, and the advice is all free. If you aren't sure about something, ask someone.

Oct 13 10 11:00 am Link

Artist/Painter

Jamie Berumen BuZn Art

Posts: 11

Campbell, California, US

Bump hehe

Oct 20 10 08:50 pm Link

Model

Amy Ann Yates

Posts: 11

Los Angeles, California, US

thanks! I'm new to the site and this was pretty helpful..especially the acronyms. some of it is common sense, but they are good reminders. :]

Oct 25 10 05:56 pm Link

Model

Myra Nevaliza

Posts: 1

San Antonio, Texas, US

I'm a newbie sort of, been on MM for a year but never been really active enough so I decided that I'll give it a go again.. I've just recently upgraded to VIP and I have no clue as to how to put photos on the front of my page. help?

Oct 26 10 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Posts: 10714

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Myra Nevaliza wrote:
I'm a newbie sort of, been on MM for a year but never been really active enough so I decided that I'll give it a go again.. I've just recently upgraded to VIP and I have no clue as to how to put photos on the front of my page. help?

For being 89 years of age I can see why tongue

Now on a more serious note, to answer your question, you'll need a link from a photo hosting site i.e. flickr, photobucket.  Then use [img]l*[/img]
* insert photohotlink here.

Example http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/4159989839_b4dc53ceac.jpg

Oct 26 10 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Posts: 1845

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Nov 17 10 01:50 pm Link

Model

Natoya Ebony

Posts: 4

Orlando, Florida, US

It's hard being a model and trying to date  http://natoyaebony.blogspot.com/

Nov 28 10 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Bachex

Posts: 1

New York, New York, US

cool

Nov 29 10 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

FIPArt

Posts: 6

Ashton-under-Lyne, England, United Kingdom

Hello all! Newbie (noob) here! My first post at MM just to say thanks to everyone for the great advice and laughter I had whilst reading it!

Thanks big_smile

Dec 03 10 05:03 am Link

Model

LaurenASmith

Posts: 1

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ok, this might have been covered but what does "PM me" mean or stand for?

Thank you!

Dec 22 10 08:51 am Link

Photographer

FIPArt

Posts: 6

Ashton-under-Lyne, England, United Kingdom

what does "PM me" mean or stand for?

= Private Message big_smile

Dec 26 10 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Posts: 17326

Lebanon, New Hampshire, US

john vriesema wrote:
I chose this one/forum/ because myself new but been around in life.
The what I see out there on Model Mayhem.
If author of this form letter wish it gone or moved inform me with ideas.
I see this as an in site to helping not hurting the members
I reread what I write. I spell check but I’m not perfect trust me.
If you see my stuff/ reviews in poetic form or the like to keep it that way, because Model Mayhem form does not keep poetry in form..>>!!!””,,--- hence those marks.
Remember that is art, talent too!!!! MY WAY
        GLAD you joined, However personally I'm a 6 month or there about-s  member, but I upped from free. I've been searching for a model to shoot (camera) this year. I usually go to CPW.  (org) That’s the NY workshop place to go. Again, however this year they had no body study/body/ or nude model workshops  for MEN. An all female only in this day and age of Discrimination. WOW!
Yet I do shoot both sexes, I know lots of men would not want a all male- body workshop. Yes my preference too.
  Why I'm posting here. I reached out to a few>> two nude models, that been on for a time from what I know. (not a new bee) Okay 3 models, but  also though her face book site I discovered maturity does matter. potty-mouth. C’mon face book --place of polite ladies and children. Is not anything safe and clean. So it does tell the U of you. Unsafe Unique, Unreal, Unhinged etc.>>>U
Let me remind all Face-Book or  My Space show the person too.
In the President's own words
‘To know me look who surrounds me.’ Or in words close to that. It proves true, so in general it shows who you are. In those words he did not lie. I also know this is not a political forum, but MY face book shows>> My beliefs, and thinking.  I don't hide it. Being true to yourself is being the real yourself.
Truth I'm an American, a Veteran with respect for OUR Country.

    I also write a lot of my reviews of model in poetic form.
I also suggest to meet before, {Public  place/ coffee, tea the real me} What I call a, "Meet and Greet" a safe way to exchange info. That to will tell a lot on, who is who. Yes  not a wasted day, because go with the idea you will go forward and shoot. Follow me to my studio, my place. Well if they show up with body parts in their car, you’ll know you can leave more freely.
In writing on a person site  [HERE} I found people don't bother to thank, or acknowledge the other person who commented on U.  This both being poor salesmanship, because that is what we all are doing, or a simple act of being polite. I guess that says it all. I use the TAGs for true feelings of a picture. Besides respect I do take interest in a nude body. If your a naturalist you learn to respect your body. I also been the model so that in it’s self carries respect. 
SO IF YOUR ON HERE let us make it real, and work. If your not serious you should not waste another's time.
These are my beliefs and mine only, but I would guess most would agree.
Find me   JPV8

Can anyone translate this into English?

Dec 26 10 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

BGi Photography

Posts: 123

Chicago, Illinois, US

(rubbing hands) Here Goes...
After reading the OP and a few following post (wishingI hand done that first)
I'd like to say this.
Thank You, thank you , thank you.
Its redundant to say Im new so I'll speak on my experience with MM forums for Other newbies and then my questions.
Becareful in Forums. (no wait) BE VERY CAREFUL IN FORUMS
I will suggest to do as the OP suggested and sit ad watch for a while unless you have a very very legitimate question or concern before posting.
1. Because someone has asked that question before.
2. As the Op posted, you may feel you're smart but you'll run into smarter, more clever, quicker typers, etc who will ruin your day.
3.Reread 1 and 2 trust me... you'll go a long way.

But with that being said now that here as in any other society manners, professionalism and plain ole common sense go a long way.
People will help or attempt to help if they can. A lot of people in the forums are just regular folks and can still remember being new. For photographers Graphix designer and the like, trust me, at the rate in which new equipment comes out they will be asking questions. Just be courteous. Goes a long way.

Now I see that the OP is a Photographer and the advice for the most part was good,( flinching) where can FNP(new freaking photographers) go for this?

Dec 29 10 09:00 am Link

Photographer

BGi Photography

Posts: 123

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fusion Images  wrote:
Hello all! Newbie (noob) here! My first post at MM just to say thanks to everyone for the great advice and laughter I had whilst reading it!

Thanks big_smile

Kind of Late but welcome

Dec 29 10 09:01 am Link

Model

Collette Martin

Posts: 1

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Excellent thread, thanks for all the great advice smile

Jan 16 11 12:18 am Link

Model

Natalie Heard

Posts: 4

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

This has been really helpful smile

Jan 27 11 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Intecta Studio

Posts: 14

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Wow... guess there's quite a bit to get up to speed on. Thanks for all the great info!

Feb 04 11 08:52 pm Link

Model

VeryUnique

Posts: 1

Midway, Georgia, US

Hi, Iam new

Feb 09 11 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Posts: 3544

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

IMPORTANT FOR NEWBS:

Every once in a while, a fear-mongering thread is going to pop up about some photographer raping someone, or a model murdering and robbing a photographer, etc...  These are rare occurences and you should give people more credit for being good human beings rather than evil villains.  Of course, if you practice good judgement in every day life, all will be well.

Feb 09 11 01:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

KisStina

Posts: 1

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bumpadee bump : )

Feb 09 11 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

AndyG Studios

Posts: 8

Wakefield, England, United Kingdom

Wow, what a thread !  Just want to stay in here now, don't much fancy the lions den.  *shivers*  Might spend a few more years just reading...

Feb 18 11 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Platinum Snaps

Posts: 13

Flemington, New Jersey, US

Thank you OP for this very informative thread.

Mar 08 11 06:41 pm Link

Model

Synkwan NYC

Posts: 6

New York, New York, US

Thanks CLT for putting this together.  I now know how to be less of a noob.

Mar 12 11 06:00 am Link

Model

Rose6022

Posts: 2

Dadeville, Alabama, US

I am quite thankful to have stumbled upon this information; excellent thread.

Mar 15 11 11:25 am Link

Model

EASTablished

Posts: 2

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Whoever wrote this. Dude. You. Are. Crazy

Mar 21 11 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Michael Buikus

Posts: 8

Columbia, Missouri, US

Thanks! that acronym list was definitely helpful. smile

Mar 29 11 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Revolver X

Posts: 63

LA JOLLA, California, US

Ooops

Mar 31 11 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Revolver X

Posts: 63

LA JOLLA, California, US

test...

Mar 31 11 04:24 pm Link

Artist/Painter

abraxas579

Posts: 1

Stockton, California, US

I'm new here and everyone keeps saying nice port. whats a port?

Apr 01 11 06:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pride Make Up

Posts: 11

Concord, North Carolina, US

New to MM but I have to say wow, a lot of great information, Thank God I sat and read this thread...

Apr 07 11 05:45 pm Link

Model

xxSmiley

Posts: 415

Tampa, Florida, US

Leh bump smile

Apr 18 11 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

Posts: 6468

New York, New York, US

Foxtale Images wrote:
Aw shyt.... n0  /33+??? n0+ K3w/..... sad


I personally am a netspeak junkie so pleas forgive me if it slips sometimes. Srry

+1

Apr 27 11 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Cuemadi Foto and Design

Posts: 69

Brooklyn, New York, US

Most dont accept the newbies...

Apr 27 11 04:15 pm Link

Model

Evan Melaugh

Posts: 1

Los Angeles, California, US

May 27 11 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Wolfie Mueller

Posts: 48

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Really helpful!

May 31 11 10:58 pm Link