Forums > Model Colloquy > :::Liquid Latex Body Paint:::.... ever use it?

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I have not painted a model with it...yet

ANY feedback?

I heard that the model MUST be hairless... or it will hurt like hell when commin' off

Feb 06 07 01:57 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I think that's what was used on me once. Or maybe it was acrylic something or other... I can't remember. In any case, soaking in a bathtub to remove the paint makes it so you don't have to be completely hairless.

Feb 06 07 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Less hair better, using the right stuff it removes easy as moisture collects under. Brush on and doing so takes time to learn the proper way to do this. Also a shine agent that gets sprayed on after help even out the look. Try it out on a few arms before the shoot to get the nack of it.

Good luck

Feb 06 07 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

LL fun to peel big_smile

really the best reason for the stuff

big_smile big_smile big_smile

r

Feb 06 07 02:11 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've used acrylic and liquid latex.  Longer hair like arm hair and CERTAINLY pubic hair will get stuck in the paint and pull when the paint comes off.  It doesn't really hurt, it's like a bandaid...a full body bandaid.

The major problem I found was that the paint sticks to itself when you touch painted surfaces together.  Other than that it'll pull and crack if you move too much or twist.  If you dust the dried paint down with baby powder and then spritz it with oil it might prevent the paint from sticking but will probably dull some of the color.

Feb 06 07 02:14 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

i use liquid latex a lot when im on stage with my sideshow, it is true, body hair is not a plus when it comes to using it.  first off, any body hair is ten times magnified looking when coated and also, i can imagine itd all pull off when the latex is peeled off.  i shave my arms eyebrows and all that every day anyways so ive never had that problem, but shaving is recomended when using liquid latex.  also it gets very hot when coated with it, so if a model is prone to heat rash or anything else, either use low heat intensity lighting or just tell her she's not the one for that particular shoot concept.

Feb 06 07 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

thanks!

Feb 06 07 04:42 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

MAKE SURE neither you nor the model are allergic to latex!!!!!!

In addition to the stuff above, apply it in a WELL-VENTILATED room... the ammonia smell will knock you out until it dries (then it doesn't smell).  Don't use it anywhere near anything you don't want permanently imbued with latex (like carpeting).

Feb 06 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Mayanlee wrote:

You beat me to it smile
I found out late last year that I have a latex allergy. It is one of those allergies that can just start out of nowhere. I am a cook in my normal job and often have to wear gloves. For the last 15 or so years I have always worn latex gloves. But last year had a pretty bad reaction to them and have to use non latex now.
I did research on the allergy and found out some can actually die from it.

Feb 06 07 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

When applying, make sure the model(s) use lotion all over the body to ease the peel off factor - IT WILL STING if the model has body hair.

Feb 06 07 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

....MMmmmm.... I may try it out smile

Feb 06 07 08:59 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

00siris wrote:
When applying, make sure the model(s) use lotion all over the body to ease the peel off factor - IT WILL STING if the model has body hair.

lotion will cause certain brands of the latex to spot and peel though.  Oil based lotion will cause any body paint to peel.  Use water based lotion well ahead of time if you want to be sure the paint stays on.

Feb 06 07 10:20 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

GPS Studio Services

San Francisco, California, US

This was done with Liquid Latex:

http://img2.modelmayhem.com/050906/13/431df3d49b528.jpg

You already got a lot of good tips so I won't repeat them.  I will just emphasize the water based lotion, generously applied, in advance so that it sticks less.

And do shave or wax the privates and get rid of whatever other body hair you can where latex will be applied.

Feb 06 07 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

anyone else?

Feb 07 07 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Use body makeup instead.

Feb 07 07 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Speedline Foto

London, England, United Kingdom

Mayanlee wrote:

In addition to the stuff above, apply it in a WELL-VENTILATED room... the ammonia smell will knock you out until it dries (then it doesn't smell).  Don't use it anywhere near anything you don't want permanently imbued with latex (like carpeting).

Even if the model says they are not allergic to latex, test it on them first before applying fully.
If you can, send a sample over a few days beforehand.
A test patch left for 20-30mins should tell if they are allergic or not.
I would also suggest some kind of barrier cream between the skin and the latex paint.
I took all the necessary precautions, patch tested the model, got a barrier cream for them to apply, told them to apply it all over where the paint would be going.
Unfortunately "all over" wasn't clear enough. The paint soaked through the panties the model was wearing and came into contact with her intimate parts, on which she had not used the barrier cream, and she had an allergic reaction.
We settled out of court.

Feb 10 07 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Rich Drinkard

Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

Baby oil will help removal of the latex.  Especially in the pubic area.

Aloe Vera based lotions work well to help lubricate hair shafts to aid removal.  Apply liberally and let dry before applying the latex.  It will greatly help the removal process.

Using disposable foam brushes from Home Depot will give a smoother finish.  Armor All works great as a sealing agent and gives a great shine as well.

Feb 10 07 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

While I didn't do the painting for my Avatar (a friend did), It was liquid latex.

So far I think the only thing that has been missed is make sure you are using fairly fresh (less then a year old, preferably less then a couple of months) mix of it. It will go on better.

It usually takes a few coats to do it right. And it will go through clothes, as another friend found out the hard way when she said it was okay to paint it over the panties (we found out she wasn't shaved - but she was fairly clean afterwards) smile

Feb 10 07 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

As already mentioned, lotion first, lots of it.

Remember, it sticks to itself, so if keep your arms and legs apart or anything else that will touch the body.  I had two ladders for the model to hold on to while we did her arms.

It takes a while to dry.  A hair dryer on low helps.

It smells bad.

After you get coated and dry, put a latex shine product on it to keep it from sticking. Pay attention to arm pits and inner thighs especially.

Normal body perspiration will work the latex loose after 4 or 5 hours, it'll come off easily by itself.

On our last adventure, we tried to make the model more comfortable by having her wear pantyhose and painting over it.  Don't do it.  It just glues the pantyhose to your skin and makes it really painful to go to the bathroom.

Oh, do the bathroom thing first.

Feb 10 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Used it twice, disastrously.  I won't be using it again.  It was fun to peel off though.

-Don

Feb 10 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

disastrously?

.... 'MMmmmmm  I may try it on someone I know first.

Feb 12 07 12:05 pm Link