Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > BDSM fetish model check-in...

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Lost Coast Photo wrote:
Except that most of the people who think they can "sell the emotion" can't.  It looks superficial, because it is.

When it's real, there are depths of emotion far beyond what a vanilla model can fake.  Better yet, when both the photographer and the model are real, it's possible to convey things beyond words.  I don't expect anyone who hasn't been there to fully understand; but even a lot of lifestylers, even a lot of pros, haven't learned to push those boundaries.  When that deep connection happens, people look at the images and can almost feel the energy.  Those who have been there know what I mean.

One of my favorite fetish models ever (now retired) was completely uninterested in the lifestyle.  She hated pain, but routinely did bondage work and s/m videos.  She simply understood the role she played and played it well.  If you can really act, acting out a fetish scenario is no greater a stretch than acting out a soccer mom scenario with some obnoxious child model.

Apr 25 07 06:50 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

A Vaughn wrote:
No one said fetish was about being goth. The OP said they could be related, and that is true. It's certainly not always the case, but it seems to be so more often than not on teh intarweb.

There's some cross-over between goth fashion and fetish fashion, but that's about the extent of it. Comparing the two is to compare apples and bookends.  You could have a bookend shaped like an apple, but don't try to eat it.

Apr 25 07 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

TonyKorleonePhotoVideo

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Apr 25 07 07:04 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

and so the 18+ photos begin...

morons.

Apr 25 07 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

TimothyH

Madison, Wisconsin, US

https://a384.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/l_c644b1a169568b67627cba9aa60c8b47.jpg
I'm the guy who is whatever $10 will get me.

Hahaha. I kid, I kid.

Apr 25 07 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

TonyKorleonePhotoVideo

theda wrote:
and so the 18+ photos begin...

morons.

Apr 25 07 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

TonyKorleonePhotoVideo

Tony Korleone wrote:

sorry i thought about the rule after I posted and did not edit it before the "moron" comment ...gone sorry again but sure are fast with the words here

Apr 25 07 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

lol_cause_UrHypocrites

Apr 25 07 07:41 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Lifestyle Images wrote:
We will be at FetishCon in Tampa in August, and I would be happy to shoot with you.

Brad

We will as well....also Shibari con in May

Apr 25 07 08:26 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lost Coast Photo wrote:
Except that most of the people who think they can "sell the emotion" can't.  It looks superficial, because it is.

When it's real, there are depths of emotion far beyond what a vanilla model can fake.  Better yet, when both the photographer and the model are real, it's possible to convey things beyond words.  I don't expect anyone who hasn't been there to fully understand; but even a lot of lifestylers, even a lot of pros, haven't learned to push those boundaries.  When that deep connection happens, people look at the images and can almost feel the energy.  Those who have been there know what I mean.

Been there smile, agree whole-heartedly. Would responded more to this... But damn you just said it so well it can't possibly be added to smile. Thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth, lol

Apr 26 07 12:19 am Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Visions Of Excess Studi wrote:
Lifestyle submissive fetish photographer here. smile I blush and everything!

Apr 26 07 12:21 am Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jeffrey McAlister wrote:

lol.... but hey, you can't see the rope running  from her asshole to her ponytail....
FUCKING EASE UP GUYS.

Alright, as stated before, Sanctus is new to BDSM shoots, so cut her some slack will ya?!! She's going to be fantastic, already has a great start on her port. Love ya girl!!

Apr 26 07 12:25 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

ARGH!
The bloody lot of you line up so I can bang your bleeding heads together.

BDSM and fetish..have a link but not the same thing and some people are into one not the other and so on.
Beings that fetishes can be ANYTHING then any photo could really be interpreted as fetish by a person into that particular thing.]

Same goes for Goth and Fetish, they have a link but can be totally seperate.

Meh, Off in a tangent there..

The other thing, stop with the "twue bdsm/twue fetish" thing please.
When I go to the cinema to see a film I dont actually believe the actors do that kind of shit at home (least not very often big_smile )
They DO (hopefully) convince me of their emotions and what they are doing to make a good film.

Its the same with Models, some are going to be damned good at acting out a part and others are not.
They dont HAVE to be into the scene to be able to convey the right feel.

I will admit to getting a little bit growly when I see a "glammer modowl" (the type that usually go on about Alt models not really being models and aspire nothing more than to be published in a T/A mag even if its unpaid etc) suddenly put up a looking for work post with words along the line of "I have brought a brand new pvc/vinyl skirt and a whip from Anne Summers, who wants to shoot fetish"

Then again thats my pet peeve and therefore my issue, not the other models big_smile

Apr 26 07 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Reading threads like this make me think how often some confuse submissive with bottom smile

Apr 26 07 05:14 am Link

Model

Priscilla Pincushion

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

very submissive, in everything i do. especially behind closed doors.
introduced to bdsm at a young age.
in short...
bdsm = amazing.
i've also got an extremely long list of fetishes tucked up in my head...and i love them all =]
buut bdsm & fetishes = two different topics entirely.
one may love BDSM but have nothing to do with fetish.

i need sleep, so that's about all i'm posting on the subject

Apr 26 07 08:05 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

h i s wrote:
I'm a woman who is owned, and who is often the subject of fetish acts and BDSM activities....... who happens to model, besides. tongue

This is such a beautiful, empowering statement. Thank you.   :-)

Apr 26 07 06:44 pm Link

Model

CagedGypsy

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Here.

Whether I have actual experience or not was not what was asked I believe, but instead I thought they were just calling out who did these type of shoots. Plus I expose enough of my personal life as is than to expose all of it.

I like to or would like to express certain aspects of BDSM into some future shoots, actually I'm really looking forward to doing it.

As far as fetish goes, for me it's leg and foot and hopefully I'll have something in my port to share in the near future on that particular fetish.

The list does go on and they really are personal to me.

Apr 26 07 07:10 pm Link

Model

Julie Morris

Gainesville, Alabama, US

Apr 26 07 08:44 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I have been know to be one on occasion.  smile.

Apr 26 07 08:48 pm Link

Model

The Poser

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I do BDSM Shibari shoots and such but I guess you don't need to be a top or bottom for that, just interested in rope.

Apr 26 07 08:49 pm Link

Model

London Andrews

Onalaska, Washington, US

I do all kinds of fetish work - I love how random all the jobs are.
It keeps me entertained.... :  )

Apr 26 07 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Any D/s in Washington/Oregon interested in shooting?

Apr 26 07 08:52 pm Link

Model

- River -

Potsdam, New York, US

Apr 26 07 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Owen Duffy Photography

Killeen, Texas, US

I've delurked twice this week, I must be out of my mind wink

Sub type guy here. Lifestyler and such even.

I'm interested in fetish/bondage photography not because it's cool, or the latest trend, but because it's a a subject I love. Just have the problem of finding people to photograph. smile But that's OK.

There's a lot of ways to label all this stuff, but I think you just have to do what's right for you. And as long as you enjoy it an no one gets hurt.. well OK maybe hurt just a little bit wink

-Owen

Apr 26 07 10:47 pm Link

Model

Nikki Kruex

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Selina Kyle wrote:

Alright, as stated before, Sanctus is new to BDSM shoots, so cut her some slack will ya?!! She's going to be fantastic, already has a great start on her port. Love ya girl!!

Heh.. As it was stated, any actual bondage pic would hae been illegal by way of the Site... but some folks aren't all that brite, no biggie.   Luv you too Selina!!

Apr 27 07 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Kruppaworks

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Well, I'm not a subbie, that's all I'm saying for now.  smile

Apr 27 07 02:04 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

BDSM??

Okay so I am very innocent to all this that you are typing about. So I have no idea what is going on.

Can you all please school me on all this?

I do not want to hijack this thread so let me know if this is a good NEW TOPIC.

Apr 27 07 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

Sara Danielle wrote:
BDSM??

Okay so I am very innocent to all this that you are typing about. So I have no idea what is going on.

Can you all please school me on all this?

I do not want to hijack this thread so let me know if this is a good NEW TOPIC.

BDSM is B&D, D&S, S&M (Bondage & Discipline, Dominance & Submission, Sadism & Masochism)... pretty much all the thoughts that come to my mind when I hear the word kink.

Apr 27 07 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

Cyndiemyst wrote:

We will as well....also Shibari con in May

There's a Shibari Con?  aw geez, there go my savings.

Apr 27 07 02:19 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Art_Wraith wrote:

BDSM is B&D, D&S, S&M (Bondage & Discipline, Dominance & Sumission, Sadism & Masochism)... pretty much all the thoughts that come to my mind when I hear the word kink.

So what is a Sub and a Dom? What does on top and underneath mean? I know I probably sound really silly but I have no idea what this entails.

Apr 27 07 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

Sara Danielle wrote:
So what is a Sub and a Dom? What does on top and underneath mean? I know I probably sound really silly but I have no idea what this entails.

This will be a bit simplistic but...

a sub or submissive is someone who enjoys giving up control to another person, the dom or dominant person.  a bottom is someone who is taking the same role as a submissive but just for the scene or act that they're in at the moment, same with a top being a dominant temporarily.

People will disagree with some of my definitions but it gives you a rough idea.

a top is like a temporary dominant (they take control)

a bottom is like a temporary submissive (they give up control)

What happens is entirely up to the people participating. And it's easy to have one part without the other.  For example, take a look at the image of Wynd in my portfolio, she's bound (bondage) but the look on her face says she's anything but submissive and there's no discipline going on really.  It's kind of like a buffet of kink, pick and choose what you enjoy!

Apr 27 07 02:24 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Got ya. Thank you.

So what is the deal with this and photography? Why are some people getting upset? I have done a bondage shoot before and am not in the know of this at all. Is that wrong?

They say it is an art so could you tell me the difference between someone doing it right and someone disgracing it.

Apr 27 07 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hint: Try Google! Or Wikipedia!

(eyeroll)

Apr 27 07 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

It's all in the eye of the beholder.  I think some people get possessive and defensive about it.  Then there are others who don't understand and condemn it.

The best answer is long and convoluted and varies by individual.  I don't let others views get me worked up but I love the imagery associated with many aspects of the lifestyle or scene (bdsm) however you choose to identify it.

Apr 27 07 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Photos by Owen wrote:
I've delurked twice this week, I must be out of my mind wink

Sub type guy here. Lifestyler and such even.

I'm interested in fetish/bondage photography not because it's cool, or the latest trend, but because it's a a subject I love. Just have the problem of finding people to photograph. smile But that's OK.

There's a lot of ways to label all this stuff, but I think you just have to do what's right for you. And as long as you enjoy it an no one gets hurt.. well OK maybe hurt just a little bit wink

-Owen

Nice post owen.

Apr 27 07 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

kumi wrote:
it depends on what type of message the image is trying to convey. if the photographer is going for more of a fetish-lifestyle feel, sure an actual practitioner might be better to use as a model. but if you're talking about selling a product, very few of them actually KNOW how to pose in order to sell a product. it's about marketing a look and a style.

Having an alternative model pose in an image that is primarily used as an advert to sell more clothes doesn't always work out. for example, if you're a high-end latex clothing manufacturer, you're not going to buy expensive full page ads featuring an extremely alternative looking model. the people that BUY expensive latex couture usually don't look very alternative. most have normal mainstream jobs and careers and they would more likely relate to seeing something similar in an ad rather than the new make up and piercing trends being featured at the local club.

fetish is a bit different,  but it's still a business. the demand of fetish models (in regards to fetish gear/clothing) could never sustain the industry. it's about those private individuals that have the money and can afford to buy the toys. and being able to have a business thrive as well as survive is a difficult chore when so many believe that images should be done for 'art'  -  ie. for free.

You're also moving at a different level than most of the people here.  Having seen plenty of your work, including large original prints, I think that whatever your personal preferences, however you choose to define yourself, you do understand the psychological and emotional aspects behind the images.  You spend a lot of time around lifestylers, and your writing implies that you're a perceptive person.  That's perhaps true for some other people doing fetish fashion for publication, too; certainly it's true for a few of the well known fetish models I've met.   Then there are some who simply have legitimate acting ability, who really can go into role and project emotion.  But the vast majority of models I've met can't do that on demand.

I do still think there is a depth of emotion that for most people can only be reached when the experience feels real.  It's possible to take an open minded non-lifestyler there, if one knows how, and if that person is willing to take the risk, because it can be pretty scary for them to tap into those feelings.  It's also not entirely predictable.  Some slip into the headspace very easily, some take a while, some just can't let go at all.  Sometimes the reaction is not what is expected, although that's not any less real.

I guess what bothers me is the people, on either end of the camera, who think they can fake projected emotion with very little effort or experience.  There's a reason that not just anybody can do what you do.

Apr 27 07 03:04 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

Art_Wraith wrote:
People will disagree with some of my definitions but it gives you a rough idea.

a top is like a temporary dominant (they take control)

a bottom is like a temporary submissive (they give up control)

i will have to agree with the disagreeing part

wink

Apr 27 07 06:09 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

Lost Coast Photo wrote:

I guess what bothers me is the people, on either end of the camera, who think they can fake projected emotion with very little effort or experience.  There's a reason that not just anybody can do what you do.

well on the other side of the coin, the photographer doesnt necessarily have to project emotion with his image. rather, a good photographer should be able to elicit a response from the viewer in any sort of image - be it fetish, bdsm, or otherwise.

in the case of fetish, whether or not a human model is present, the image of a single shoe should be able trigger a response - ecstasy, elation, thrill, desire, warmth, anything... the memories and ideas of how that shoe smelled, tasted, felt, or could smell, taste, feel, etc. That would be the trick.

--
and thank you, btw.

Apr 27 07 06:20 am Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Art_Wraith wrote:

There's a Shibari Con?  aw geez, there go my savings.

MHM...
Memorial day weekend...
Now go drain that account!
smile

Apr 27 07 09:10 am Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm a lifestyle domme.and once in a blue moon I will switch(very RARE though).but I will not modeling wise do hardcore fetish or bondage.just a personal choice.

and I could care less if those who are doing it in modeling from light to hardcore or even just fetish fashion are really in the lifestyle or not.it's not My business.if the images are hot who gives a s***?modeling is about images not lifestyle.

XXX
MP

Apr 27 07 09:39 am Link