Forums > Model Colloquy > naked male models

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

I can already tell this is gonna be touchy but....

I wanna know everyone's opinion on nude males;

ladies: who would rather look at a playboy rather than a playgirl??

male photographers: do you have to be homo/bi-sexual to appreciate a male's body?

female photographers: would you be interested in shooting nude males and why?

male models who shoot nude: is it empowering to shoot nude, or do you feel vulnerable?

would love some honest thoughts here THANKS~

Jun 07 07 02:33 pm Link

Model

Elle

Posts: 16462

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

i like naked men...:-D
i like looking at naked men...
i think we need a new word for scrotum though...
scrotum just sounds so angry...

Jun 07 07 02:36 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

yeah for sure hmmmm this forum is going to end up being a contest for who can think of the nicest new word for scrotum

Jun 07 07 02:37 pm Link

Model

Tesla Tease

Posts: 17

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

ElleM wrote:
i like naked men...:-D
i like looking at naked men...
i think we need a new word for scrotum though...
scrotum just sounds so angry...

i agree on all those points.....it seems to me that there are considerably less male models in general (not just nude males) and frankly its been that way for centuries....i mean, look at male nude portraits. Their junk looks like two peanuts and a tootsie roll....

now im not sure why that is, but it gives you something to think about doesn't it?

Jun 07 07 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85307

Hayward, California, US

Jun 07 07 02:39 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Posts: 50816

Leawood, Kansas, US

Like I've said, I like looking at my male nude, but I'll pass on the rest.
This includes Playgirl, which is really for gay men these days.

I have no idea if I'm in the minority, but I have no desire to see random guys naked.

I also am not that gung ho about seeing random chicks naked either, but if I had no choice, I'd go with sexy naked chicks over sexy naked guys. wink

Jun 07 07 02:40 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

Meredith Boring wrote:

i agree on all those points.....it seems to me that there are considerably less male models in general (not just nude males) and frankly its been that way for centuries....i mean, look at male nude portraits. Their junk looks like two peanuts and a tootsie roll....

now im not sure why that is, but it gives you something to think about doesn't it?

ooo lordy that was so freakin funny i coulda peed!!!

Jun 07 07 02:41 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

damon wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=146846

thank you Damon this is insightful, but really only pertains to the women....i want everyone's thoughts

Jun 07 07 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix

Posts: 1304

Vallejo, California, US

the male nude is my current art subject. i think i have some interesting images. check em out.

Jun 07 07 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85307

Hayward, California, US

JoHanna W wrote:

thank you Damon this is insightful, but really only pertains to the women....i want everyone's thoughts

Everyone gave their thoughts in that thread.  Do you think that with mr winky involved, males stayed out? 

And ultimately, I think you'll find the responses are the same..

Jun 07 07 02:44 pm Link

Model

FigurativeMale

Posts: 42

Palm Desert, California, US

I'm a nude male model and I enjoy my work.  Most of it is limited to classrooms and private artists.  I'm very comfortable and make a decent living of it.
I usually keep to myself during nude threads believing we all model to suit our needs, preferences, and comfort level.  Mine is working naked.

Jun 07 07 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Posts: 313

Newark, Delaware, US

Well, art nudes traditionally have very little to do with sexuality unless it's a glamour shoot, which by definition is sexual. I'm hetero and I have no problem shooting, viewing and appreciating art male nude photos. Glamour male nudes make me uncomfortable. Especially if they are covered in oil and posing suggestively. I mean, I know there is a target audience for it - and it's not me.

Jun 07 07 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85307

Hayward, California, US

ladies: who would rather look at a playboy rather than a playgirl??   playgirl isn't really marketed to women



male photographers: do you have to be homo/bi-sexual to appreciate a male's body?

Nope




male models who shoot nude: is it empowering to shoot nude, or do you feel vulnerable?

I found it liberating.

Jun 07 07 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

JoHanna W wrote:
yeah for sure hmmmm this forum is going to end up being a contest for who can think of the nicest new word for scrotum

How about 'Jewel Bag'?

Jun 07 07 02:57 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

FigurativeMale wrote:
I'm a nude male model and I enjoy my work.  Most of it is limited to classrooms and private artists.  I'm very comfortable and make a decent living of it.
I usually keep to myself during nude threads believing we all model to suit our needs, preferences, and comfort level.  Mine is working naked.

that's awesome! I really appreciate your opinion, I really don't know much about this area of modeling, it's great to hear a male's perspective

Jun 07 07 02:57 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

Kiran Patil wrote:
Well, art nudes traditionally have very little to do with sexuality unless it's a glamour shoot, which by definition is sexual. I'm hetero and I have no problem shooting, viewing and appreciating art male nude photos. Glamour male nudes make me uncomfortable. Especially if they are covered in oil and posing suggestively. I mean, I know there is a target audience for it - and it's not me.

ok so there are levels of how comfortable various men are with the nude male body, that's great to know! So most hetero photographers wouldn't have a problem shooting nude males in the right circumstances?

Jun 07 07 02:59 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

lightsandshadow wrote:

How about 'Jewel Bag'?

jewel bag! love it! much sexier word

Jun 07 07 03:00 pm Link

Model

FigurativeMale

Posts: 42

Palm Desert, California, US

I've been photographed by hetero men. 
I did my job,
he did his,
he paid me,
I said thank you

Jun 07 07 03:02 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

damon wrote:
male models who shoot nude: is it empowering to shoot nude, or do you feel vulnerable?

I found it liberating.

So you've gone from being the subject to capturing the subject; why the change? or do you still model...

Jun 07 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85307

Hayward, California, US

JoHanna W wrote:

So you've gone from being the subject to capturing the subject; why the change? or do you still model...

No, I did both at the same time.  I was my first model when I started learning photography.


I'm retired.mostly

Jun 07 07 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

-male photographers: do you have to be homo/bi-sexual to appreciate a male's body?
     No, the human form male and female is just fascinating to me.

-male models who shoot nude: is it empowering to shoot nude, or do you feel vulnerable?
     I actually modeled for a few college friends that needed subjects.  It just felt natural.  The only thing I worried about was having enough sunsceen on so I didn't get sunburn.

Jun 07 07 03:06 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

I've heard it said that women don't enjoy looking at a nude male because they look vulnerable and that isn't sexy to most women;

thoughts?

Jun 07 07 03:07 pm Link

Model

Brandon Cade

Posts: 240

Dallas, Texas, US

Being Naked is fun mk.
I don't think they have to be gay.

Jun 07 07 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

JoHanna W wrote:
I've heard it said that women don't enjoy looking at a nude male because they look vulnerable and that isn't sexy to most women;

thoughts?

Interesting.  I hadn't heard that before.  The few times I've done male nudes I specifically didn't want the 'macho' poses.  I tend to like poses that emphasize the assests of the model.  If he/she is more athletic I like to highlight some muscle tone.  Otherwise I tend to go for interestiing shadows and skin texture detail.

Jun 07 07 03:11 pm Link

Model

Demi

Posts: 333

New York, New York, US

Honestly seeing a naked man doesn't do anything for me because I find flaccid penises uninteresting.  But if the guy is in gonzo mode its a different story lol

Jun 07 07 03:13 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

Demi wrote:
Honestly seeing a naked man doesn't do anything for me because I find flaccid penises uninteresting.  But if the guy is in gonzo mode its a different story lol

So if his "cock" (what are we calling it these days?) is hard that is sexually inviting, but not if it is in shrink mode?

Jun 07 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

Demi wrote:
Honestly seeing a naked man doesn't do anything for me because I find flaccid penises uninteresting.  But if the guy is in gonzo mode its a different story lol

Does it have to be about arousing sexual feelings in the viewer?  I applaud your candid honest answer but can't you just appreciate the beauty of the human form?

Well, I guess some men are the same by saying that they like nude women but only if they can see pink.

Jun 07 07 03:21 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

lightsandshadow wrote:

Does it have to be about arousing sexual feelings in the viewer?  I applaud your candid honest answer but can't you just appreciate the beauty of the human form?

Well, I guess some men are the same by saying that they like nude women but only if they can see pink.

WOW I've never heard that one...I assume you mean pink va-jay-jays and not nipples right?

Jun 07 07 03:24 pm Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Posts: 5543

Dallas, Texas, US

I'd rather look at playboy...I think playgirl type photos are friggin tooooo cheesy to be hot. EW

Jun 07 07 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

lightsandshadow wrote:
Does it have to be about arousing sexual feelings in the viewer?  I applaud your candid honest answer but can't you just appreciate the beauty of the human form?

Well, I guess some men are the same by saying that they like nude women but only if they can see pink.

JoHanna W wrote:
WOW I've never heard that one...I assume you mean pink va-jay-jays and not nipples right?

You've got it right.

Jun 07 07 03:30 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

lightsandshadow wrote:

lightsandshadow wrote:
Does it have to be about arousing sexual feelings in the viewer?  I applaud your candid honest answer but can't you just appreciate the beauty of the human form?

Well, I guess some men are the same by saying that they like nude women but only if they can see pink.

You've got it right.

Do you think it is possible with the easy access of nude women images that eventually the allure and mystery of a woman's body will be completely wiped out?

Jun 07 07 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Posts: 191

Florence, South Carolina, US

From this male photographers POV.

No you do not need to be homosexual to shoot good male nudes.  You do, however, need to have the ability to appreciate what you are shooting.  This applies to all aspects of photography. 

I can appreciate the male figure and believe I could probably produce decent male nude images.  At some point I may try to experiment in that area of photography, but for now, I simply have no interest in shooting male nudes.  It has nothing to do with homophobia or however you want to label it, nor does it have anything to do with my "inability" to appreciate the male figure... I simply just don't want to at this point in my career.  It's the same reason why I don't shoot "glamour" photography.  I can appreciate the style and I respect those who shoot it... it's just not for me.

To me, I shoot not only what I think is beautiful, but also what I enjoy shooting.  At this point, it's maternity photography.  I find the pregnant figure beautiful and make every effort to produce images that will help others appreciate pregnancy.  I also enjoy this type of photography.  I also think that glamour nudes can be quite beautiful, but it's not something I "enjoy" shooting.

In a nutshell, it comes down to personal taste.

ETA:  One reason I concentrate on maternity photography is because there are so many people who feel that pregnancy is a time when a woman is "fat" or "bloated" or "unattractive".  So many people view pregnancy as a necessary step towards procreation and there is not aesthetic appeal whatsoever.  I can say that my wife's pregnancy shattered that belief for me and it's my goal to help bring down those stereotypes.

Photography is not necessarily about "what turns us on" or what is "sexual".  It's about what we(the photographers) find interesting for whatever reason.

Jun 07 07 03:33 pm Link

Model

trish

Posts: 1550

Los Angeles, California, US

JordanDanielle wrote:
I'd rather look at playboy...I think playgirl type photos are friggin tooooo cheesy to be hot. EW

word.

Jun 07 07 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

Posts: 2200

New York, New York, US

JoHanna W wrote:
Do you think it is possible with the easy access of nude women images that eventually the allure and mystery of a woman's body will be completely wiped out?

The allure and mystery of the female nude will continue to eternity.

Jun 07 07 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Prescott Photo

Posts: 1067

Brooklyn, New York, US

I try to supply eye candy for everyone; male and female.
If tastefully done, male nudes can represent power.  It doesn't always have to be homophobic.

Jun 07 07 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

CHDWCK PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 25

Newark, Arkansas, US

as a male, i know you don't have to be homosexual to appreciate the male body.
i look at some male nudes and i'm really impressed.
i personally love looking at any sculpted back - male or female.
threre's beauty in all human form, and while i can appreciate the beauty
of a tasteful male nude - and wouldn't mind shooting one - i find female nudes ATTRACTIVE, not only beautiful.

Jun 07 07 03:39 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

Lee I totally agree, women in pregnancy are absolutley beautiful, and it's refreshing to see a new spin on the female figure, I love your work!

Jun 07 07 03:39 pm Link

Model

JoHanna W

Posts: 93

Bemidji, Minnesota, US

CHAD CARTWRIGHT PHOTO wrote:
as a male, i know you don't have to be homosexual to appreciate the male body.
i look at some male nudes and i'm really impressed.
i personally love looking at any sculpted back - male or female.
threre's beauty in all human form, and while i can appreciate the beauty
of a tasteful male nude - and wouldn't mind shooting one - i find female nudes ATTRACTIVE, not only beautiful.

thank you for wording this in such a comprehendable way; basically it is one thing to appreciate the beauty in something, but it is much different to be attracted to something you find beauty in

Jun 07 07 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Posts: 191

Florence, South Carolina, US

JoHanna W wrote:
Lee I totally agree, women in pregnancy are absolutley beautiful, and it's refreshing to see a new spin on the female figure, I love your work!

Why thank you!  :-)

Jun 07 07 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

CHDWCK PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 25

Newark, Arkansas, US

Do you think it is possible with the easy access of nude women images that eventually the allure and mystery of a woman's body will be completely wiped out?

never!

Jun 07 07 03:41 pm Link