Forums > Model Colloquy > Cosplay Models!! ^-^

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Bambi Graves wrote:
Japanese culture is so much than cosplay & anime, and the true traditions are being lost. I think people who just think harajuku fashion/cosplay/anime etc is Japanese culture are the people that are insulting them.

Although I find this fashion really interesting I agree with your point about this.

Jun 04 07 01:24 pm Link

Model

Calypso

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

I'll be going to Comic Con here in San Diego and dressing up for the first time, too.  I originally planned on going as Lust from FMA, but couldn't do to wardrobe difficulties.  I've decided I'll go as a persocom ("Chobits") and ease into cosplay.  I've always dressed up for ren faires, so this shouldn't be much different.

Anyone else going to Con?

Jun 04 07 04:55 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Me = AnimeNext in Seacaucus, NJ (July 5ht-8th) & Dragon*Con (Labor Day Weekend).

And I wouldn't suggest randomly messaging people on either myspace.com or cosplay.com.  While I'm a firm believer that almost any cosplayer (or loli) could be a model, most of them aren't familiar with the modeling industry, and A LOT of them are underage.  I'm hoping to eventually set up a database of cosplayers who do modeling/acting/promos/etc, for right now however, I have

http://groups.myspace.com/costumersforhire

Jun 04 07 05:38 pm Link

Model

Safanova

Fairview, New Jersey, US

I  love costumes and have been dying to get a dead or alive kasumi one or yuna ! smile

Jun 04 07 05:50 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

Sigh. I didnt mean it like that and i was in a wierd sleep dep mood when i posted that. I was just trying to say that there was a difference between real lolitas and cosplay lolitas. That was all.

Jun 04 07 06:14 pm Link

Model

Kat Steel

Los Angeles, California, US

Yay for cosplay!  I'll be going to Comic-Con too ~ I'm dressing up as Death from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman." big_smile

Jun 04 07 06:17 pm Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

i just started getting into cosplay. i shoot a lot of it at anime conventions. anyone going to AX? XD

~soma~

Jun 05 07 02:18 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Bambi Graves wrote:
wow a bit over generalized there.

Are you aware that this is actually a huge problem in Japan. Kid's miss school & steal in order to make their costumes.

Japanese culture is so much than cosplay & anime, and the true traditions are being lost. I think people who just think harajuku fashion/cosplay/anime etc is Japanese culture are the people that are insulting them.

Learn the origins and then you can truly appreciate a culture.

I think I know the root of Neko's problem.  Methinks he's got a bit of the Wapanese disease.

(Excerpted from the above linked article)

The Wapanese (also called Japanophiles or "Weeaboo") much like wiggers, are cultureless white people trying to fill this cultural void by pretending not to be white. In this case, by humping the giant Godzilla leg of the Land of the Rising Sun until they are assimilated into its culture, as if being azn is some kind of acquired communicable disease. So badly do they wish this, in fact, that they are willing to dedicate whole afternoons to memorizing up to five common phrases in Japanese and then misusing them at the mall or furry conventions. They frequent sushi bars, the Panda Express in the food court and Sanrio stores on a weekly basis. Their bathing is inconsistent, as they have no time for this - they're usually too busy watching anime or buying plastic crap from the internets.

Jun 05 07 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Soma Stardust wrote:
i just started getting into cosplay. i shoot a lot of it at anime conventions. anyone going to AX? XD

~soma~

yup, we'll be at AX!

With a studio set up in the hotel room!

Jun 05 07 03:55 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
yup, we'll be at AX!

With a studio set up in the hotel room!

Soma's good shooting  big_smile

Jun 05 07 03:57 am Link

Model

Synthetic Memories

Modesto, California, US

I have done one cosplay shoot. I have a picture from it. It's the one when I am wearing a blue dress and I look thirteen.

Jun 05 07 04:02 am Link

Model

Nicoll

Dallas, Georgia, US

I've cosplayed for anime conventions... I typically end up going with one of the local comic book or video game stores, but I've gone with Funimation once as well. I've never done a formal *photoshoot* with cosplay, but I'd LOVE to do one.

Jun 05 07 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

This is something I have been curious about shooting.
If your a newbie, do you recommend a knowledgeable stylist to get started or are most of the experianced players going to have their "look" nailed so that you just need to come up with an appropriate set or location?

Anyone in MI?

Jun 05 07 01:06 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Livingston Photography wrote:
This is something I have been curious about shooting.
If your a newbie, do you recommend a knowledgeable stylist to get started or are most of the experianced players going to have their "look" nailed so that you just need to come up with an appropriate set or location?

Anyone in MI?

Cosplayers are their own stylists.  It kind of goes with the territory.  Some cosplayers however will take commissions for the costumes, but not all.  And the cost of said comissions can sometimes be as much or more than the cost of a studio light/camera body. 

Your best bet is browse your area for people with elaborate costumes (they're probably cosplayers).  I'd avoid posting on cosplay.com looking for cosplayers for reasons previously noted.

Jun 05 07 03:35 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Bambi Graves wrote:
wow a bit over generalized there.

Are you aware that this is actually a huge problem in Japan. Kid's miss school & steal in order to make their costumes.

Learn the origins and then you can truly appreciate a culture.

I think I know the root of Neko's problem.  Methinks he's got a bit of the Wapanese disease.

(Excerpted from the above linked article)

Considering im half japanese by blood, i dont think theres any "wannabe" about me. So go bash on something you actually know something about.

Jun 05 07 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:
Considering im half japanese by blood, i dont think theres any "wannabe" about me. So go bash on something you actually know something about.

Really?
Wow
The blue eyes, skin color, and eye shape all really threw me.
Got a picture of your parents?  big_smile

Jun 05 07 04:52 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

I dont because I dont remember my father,(japanese). He died in a car accident when i was 5. If I went to my mothers house i might be able to find one.

Jun 05 07 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Brown Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

I definitely have a spot for a cosplay model in my fetishes series, for anybody in Dallas or near Dallas or coming to dallas.  Hit me up...

Jun 05 07 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:
I dont because I dont remember my father,(japanese). He died in a car accident when i was 5. If I went to my mothers house i might be able to find one.

Interesting.
I'd like to see it if you can find it.

Jun 05 07 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Roxas

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

My favorite cosplay model on here is probably Melodie Gore

Jun 05 07 07:06 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Interesting.
I'd like to see it if you can find it.

i will. If you look up anna suchya shes a favous half asian half american singer in japan and she looks full on american. Its all about the random genetics lottery man. And like i said earler i was in a wierd mood and didnt really mean what i said about cosplay lolitas. I was just saying that a lot of people refer to being lolita as a lifestyle, not a cosplay. If you want i could use visual aids.

Jun 05 07 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:
i will. If you look up anna suchya shes a favous half asian half american singer in japan and she looks full on american. Its all about the random genetics lottery man. And like i said earler i was in a wierd mood and didnt really mean what i said about cosplay lolitas. I was just saying that a lot of people refer to being lolita as a lifestyle, not a cosplay. If you want i could use visual aids.

This chick right here?
https://image.blog-24.com/411564.jpg
I think you exaggerate.  She looks very Asian in every pic I found of her.
Lottery aside, while it IS possible to have one full Asian parent and have virtually no characteristics INCLUDING recessive Caucasian characteristics like blue eyes, it's EXCEEDINGLY rare.

And some people in Japan and America DO treat Lolita as a lifetsyle.

Jun 05 07 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Soma Non-studios

SLE Photography wrote:

Soma's good shooting  big_smile

XD
i'll be super kawaii, too. lmao.

~soma~

Jun 05 07 09:21 pm Link

Model

soma_stardust

Soma Non-studios wrote:

XD
i'll be super kawaii, too. lmao.

~soma~

ugh, posted with the wrong profile ^^;

Jun 05 07 09:22 pm Link

Model

soma_stardust

SLE Photography wrote:
And some people in Japan and America DO treat Lolita as a lifetsyle.

yes. they do. it's not cosplay.
will be dressing gothic lolita at AX, at least on one day.

~soma~

Jun 05 07 09:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:

On your myspace page it says you are White/Caucasian.

Carry on...

Jun 05 07 10:07 pm Link

Model

Belias

Portland, Oregon, US

Hmm, while I don't have a particular character that I imitate. Im definitely interested in the costume/prop design process, especially sciencefiction/futuristic styles.. I have a few examples of props I've made in my gallery..

Jun 05 07 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:

Roshar wrote:
On your myspace page it says you are White/Caucasian.

Carry on...

You noticed that too, huh?

Jun 05 07 11:14 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Loveless_Neko wrote:

You noticed that too, huh?

Im sorry i dont want people adding me because im part asian. I had to change it. What makes you people so driven to try to prove me wrong? What did i do to you people? Im trying to be as polite as possible, id expect to get treated the way i treat others.(And my eyes are green btw.)

Jun 06 07 01:01 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Loveless_Neko wrote:
Im sorry i dont want people adding me because im part asian. I had to change it. What makes you people so driven to try to prove me wrong? What did i do to you people? Im trying to be as polite as possible, id expect to get treated the way i treat others.(And my eyes are green btw.)

Well that would REALLY be odd, since blue eyes are already a recessive Caucasian trait & the odds of a child being born with them of a mixed race couple where one parent is 100% of non-Caucasian ancestry are alreay ENORMOUSLY against, but green eyes are a very specific mutation and the chances of THAT occuring are pehnomenal

Jun 06 07 01:11 am Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Well that would REALLY be odd, since blue eyes are already a recessive Caucasian trait & the odds of a child being born with them of a mixed race couple where one parent is 100% of non-Caucasian ancestry are alreay ENORMOUSLY against, but green eyes are a very specific mutation and the chances of THAT occuring are pehnomenal

Meh, what can i say. They change colors from grey to blue to silver to black during different moods and seasons too. No clue what causes that either.

Jun 06 07 01:30 am Link

Model

VampireKitten

Kansas City, Kansas, US

I have been cosplaying for only about two years now and it seems to be the only thing I find challenging anymore.

Here are links to several of my costumes, all we're made by me.

So far I have:
- BloodRayne
- Impa (Zelda)
- A female Dark Elf
- A white Twilek (Star Wars)

Commissions I have done:
- Darth Maul
- a male Dark Elf
- Shadow Link (Zelda)

Photos:
http://acparadise.com/display.php?a=22575
http://vampirekitten.trueformwithin.org … _itemId=19

You can also see some of my photos in my mm profile. woot! =^.^=

Jun 06 07 02:27 am Link

Model

Revel

Richland, Washington, US

SLE Photography wrote:

This nitpicking really isn't necessary. There was a Eurasian girl in one of my classes this quarter with green eyes, so it obviously can't be that unheard of.

/hijack

Jun 06 07 03:50 am Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

Revel wrote:

This nitpicking really isn't necessary. There was a Eurasian girl in one of my classes this quarter with green eyes, so it obviously can't be that unheard of.

/hijack

Thank you. And i dont recall insult him or anything. Odd how people work on this site.

Jun 06 07 03:58 am Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

Soma Stardust wrote:

yes. they do. it's not cosplay.
will be dressing gothic lolita at AX, at least on one day.

~soma~

Do you know anyone thats going to be doing a lolita panel at AX? It doesnt say anything on the official site. (PS I love the port)

Jun 06 07 04:01 am Link

Model

Nikki Kruex

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I have a publication looking for Cosplay Models if anyone is interested, the temporary collective is at www.myspace.com/dasai_dollz...

The magazine is DA-SAI online Informer, it's entirely anime/manga based...  and we have a good staff behind it, I myself am a 10 year anime/manga veteran and have a combined 25 years with in the staff.  Please be sure to check it out if your interested it's all for a good cause and earns you free promotion!

(Oh yeah, this isn't a formal cast call... I just thought I should give a heads up since this thread exists..)

Jun 06 07 04:11 am Link

Model

soma_stardust

Loveless_Neko wrote:

Do you know anyone thats going to be doing a lolita panel at AX? It doesnt say anything on the official site. (PS I love the port)

i have no idea. i sure hope so though! the one at fanime was awesome.

~soma~

Jun 06 07 02:45 pm Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

i love cosplay smile xx mail me x

Jun 06 07 06:36 pm Link

Model

DJ Loveless

Denver, Colorado, US

Soma Stardust wrote:

i have no idea. i sure hope so though! the one at fanime was awesome.

~soma~

Too bad mana isnt coming back to do it this year. I feel he is the authority on the subject. ^^

Jun 06 07 10:24 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I like the loli meet n' greet done at Animenext.  It's completely friendly and absolutely non-catty.  I went to one in Atlanta last year and didn't like it all.

Jun 06 07 11:17 pm Link