Forums > Model Colloquy > Luxe Modeling Agency...

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Hilarity, really.

First of all, this guy calls me right now, at 7:30pm east coast time. He doesn't identify himself at all, and asks me to come meet him in Shelton, CT, where they have a branch of offices. I ask him what type of agency it is, and he responds that they do a little bit of everything and asks for me to set up a time to meet him. I tell him I am only interested in being signed by a high fashion agency. His response? They've booked for Dolce and Gabbana.

Yeahhhh, okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never heard of Luxe, and I'm sure that some small time agency is not booking models for Dolce.

Jun 28 07 07:30 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

Diana Miranda wrote:
Hilarity, really.

First of all, this guy calls me right now, at 7:30pm east coast time. He doesn't identify himself at all, and asks me to come meet him in Shelton, CT, where they have a branch of offices. I ask him what type of agency it is, and he responds that they do a little bit of everything and asks for me to set up a time to meet him. I tell him I am only interested in being signed by a high fashion agency. His response? They've booked for Dolce and Gabbana.

Yeahhhh, okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never heard of Luxe, and I'm sure that some small time agency is not booking models for Dolce.

yeah, thats stupid.  sounds like a portfolio mill to me.  did they have a website?

Jun 28 07 07:33 pm Link

Model

M Kym

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Diana Miranda wrote:
Hilarity, really.

oh how pathetic.  First of all, any real, professional agency would introduce who they are first.  Secondly, I doubt there is much going on in fashion in Shelton, CT.  Thridly, no.... just no

I applied to an agency online once, and they told me to come see them in NYC.  When my mom and I showed up, the office was smaller than a condo, had 2 rooms, one desk in the front and some creepy GWC looking guy in the back.  We ran out...

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

viktoria wrote:

yeah, thats stupid.  sounds like a portfolio mill to me.  did they have a website?

Nope. The worst scam I've ever heard of. They could try a lot harder.

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

5'7" and you are only interested in signing with a high fashion agency...?  You realize those girls are minimum 5'9" right?

-Major

Jun 28 07 07:34 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Kymmie Smith wrote:

oh how pathetic.  First of all, any real, professional agency would introduce who they are first.  Secondly, I doubt there is much going on in fashion in Shelton, CT.  Thridly, no.... just no

I applied to an agency online once, and they told me to come see them in NYC.  When my mom and I showed up, the office was smaller than a condo, had 2 rooms, one desk in the front and some creepy GWC looking guy in the back.  We ran out...

Word. I love how these guys think they can dupe models. How stupid do they think we are? You book for D&G? Unless you're fucking 1 Model Management, Next, NY Model Management, Red, or a similar agency, I doubt it.

Jun 28 07 07:34 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

215 Studios wrote:
5'7" and you are only interested in signing with a high fashion agency...?  You realize those girls are minimum 5'9" right?

-Major

I'd sign for commercial. I was just busting his butt because I knew he was lying.

And, yes, I do. I've done my research, twice over.

Jun 28 07 07:35 pm Link

Model

RachelA

Detroit, Alabama, US

Um, scam... obviously.

Jun 28 07 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Diana Miranda wrote:

I'd sign for commercial. I was just busting his butt because I knew he was lying.

And, yes, I do. I've done my research, twice over.

Ahhh...  Understood.

Jun 28 07 07:36 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

215 Studios wrote:

Ahhh...  Understood.

smile

Jun 28 07 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Diana Miranda wrote:

Word. I love how these guys think they can dupe models. How stupid do they think we are? You book for D&G? Unless you're fucking 1 Model Management, Next, NY Model Management, Red, or a similar agency, I doubt it.

Big companies DO go to strange places... Armani, for example, has been known to use a Boston agency... Not exactly as small a market as Shelton,CT, but not NYC or Milan either.

Jun 28 07 07:38 pm Link

Model

M Kym

Diana Miranda wrote:

I mean, it wouldn't be so insulting if just a little effort was put into it.  Make me believe you are trying hard to scam me, not that you have no faith in my reasoning skills!

Jun 28 07 07:39 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Madcrow Studios wrote:

Big companies DO go to strange places... Armani, for example, has been known to use a Boston agency... Not exactly as small a market as Shelton,CT, but not NYC or Milan either.

Yes, but this is Shelton, CT we are talking about. Shelton is a small town. It's practically rural.

Jun 28 07 07:39 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Kymmie Smith wrote:

I mean, it wouldn't be so insulting if just a little effort was put into it.  Make me believe you are trying hard to scam me, not that you have no faith in my reasoning skills!

EXACTLY!

Jun 28 07 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Diana Miranda wrote:

Yes, but this is Shelton, CT we are talking about. Shelton is a small town. It's practically rural.

I know... These Luxe dudes are at best a "send girls to mall fashion shows" type place, probably a portfolio mill and maybe even worse.

I was just responding to the assertion that major companies never look outside major markets.

Jun 28 07 07:41 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Madcrow Studios wrote:

I know... These Luxe dudes are at best a "send girls to mall fashion shows" type place, probably a portfolio mill and maybe even worse.

I was just responding to the assertion that major companies never look outside major markets.

Oh, okay. smile

Jun 28 07 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kymmie Smith wrote:

You can't judge an agency by the size of its office.

A good friend of mine has been a respected talent agent in New York for nearly 40 years.  She books everything is sight, and does it from a ten-by-ten office in a 140 year old building.

The major fashion agencies have clients show up at their offices all the time, and feel the need to look successful and trendy.  But lots of perfectly good, working agencies, particularly talent and commercial agencies, work out of very small, unimpressive offices.

Judge an agency by what it books, not by its office.

Jun 28 07 07:42 pm Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

I have actually heard of Luxe. They are a branch out of White Pearl Entertainment, that does a lot of bookings for acting and (maybe?) commercial print jobs. Sounds more like a talent agency to me, but they do have a website and a friend of mine (who is an actress/ occasional commercial print model) has gotten work from them.

Just sayin'.

Jun 28 07 07:45 pm Link

Model

M Kym

TXPhotog wrote:

A good friend of mine has been a respected talent agent in New York for nearly 40 years.  She books everything is sight, and does it from a ten-by-ten office in a 140 year old building.

The major fashion agencies have clients show up at their offices all the time, and feel the need to look successful and trendy.  But lots of perfectly good, working agencies, particularly talent and commercial agencies, work out of very small, unimpressive offices.

thanks for the advice.  there were other reasons for our leaving though.  She asked for $150 for representation, which I knew was inapporpriate.  And she could not produce a list of clients, just that I, "need not worry, we are legitimate."

No lady, you are not...

Jun 28 07 07:46 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

that is so true.  the commercial agencies are like that, fft is this tiny room with four bookers, people sit very close together.  and its just an average building in new york city with elevators that don't always work. they don't need to impress anybody.

Jun 28 07 07:46 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Malin B wrote:
I have actually heard of Luxe. They are a branch out of White Pearl Entertainment, that does a lot of bookings for acting and (maybe?) commercial print jobs. Sounds more like a talent agency to me, but they do have a website and a friend of mine (who is an actress/ occasional commercial print model) has gotten work from them.

Just sayin'.

Do they have a website?

He sounded so unprofessional to me, I really don't trust it.

Jun 28 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Diana Miranda wrote:

Do they have a website?

He could have always been posing...

Jun 28 07 07:48 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

Diana Miranda wrote:

Do they have a website?

could've been someone pretending to be an agency they've heard of.  go on your instincts, you've been doing this long enough to know when something sounds fishy.

Jun 28 07 07:49 pm Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

Diana Miranda wrote:
Do they have a website?

I know they have a website, I'm sure it's not hard to find. How did they find you in the first place?

EDIT: I know White Pearl has a web page, I'm assuming this Luxe thing should be part of it.

Model

Siss is gone

New York, New York, US

They used one of my pictures on their website...

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Malin B wrote:

I know they have a website, I'm sure it's not hard to find. How did they find you in the first place?

EDIT: I know White Pearl has a web page, I'm assuming this Luxe thing should be part of it.

They posted something somewhere about looking to sign new girls. I figured they were just a small time agency. But, seems like a scam to me.

Jun 28 07 07:52 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Siss wrote:
They used one of my pictures on their website...

Without permission? What is their site?

Jun 28 07 07:52 pm Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

Diana Miranda wrote:

They posted something somewhere about looking to sign new girls. I figured they were just a small time agency. But, seems like a scam to me.

"Somewhere"? Be careful what you submit to!

Anyway, although I said I know someone who booked with them once (on NYCastings), it seems like they don't do much for their signed talent...

http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/t … m/86510932

Jun 28 07 07:54 pm Link

Model

D M M

New York, New York, US

Malin B wrote:

"Somewhere"? Be careful what you submit to!

Anyway, although I said I know someone who booked with them once (on NYCastings), it seems like they don't do much for their signed talent...

http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/t … m/86510932

I know. It was actually Craig's List. Wishful thinking that anything on there would be legit. I wasn't worried about sending an email out. And he emailed me again, we talked a bit, and then we exchanged phone numbers. But, yes, I know.

Jun 28 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

AndyJ

Maidstone, England, United Kingdom

Looks like there is now another company using the Luxe Models name to rip off new models. This one in London charging £2750 for a portfolio if you turn up for "an assessment with a guaranteed 80% success rate". The success rate is them ripping you off not getting signed to an agency as they are not a model agency but a studio

http://blog.models3.com/2013/05/luxe-mo … -scam.html

Jun 13 13 12:49 pm Link

Model

Kelleth

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Total scam.

I used to get the occasional call like this back in the day. No clue how these "agencies" ever even got a hold of my number.

Jun 13 13 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

It being a scam is the best possible scenario.

I advise all models to turn down these offers, and if not at least do NOT GO ALONE to any sort of meeting.

Jun 15 13 07:11 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

PEOPLE!!! this thread is from 2007!!!!!! let it die!!:-))

Jun 15 13 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

It shouldn't die, because the "agency" still exists, and the models to be should get warned.

Jun 17 13 12:11 pm Link

Model

ooooo

Kentaū, Oņtüstik Ķazaķstan, Kazakhstan

I doubt that D&G books models elsewhere then in Milan, Italy?

I would rather believe that if they work as a mother agency, they sent one of their models on stay in Milan, where he/she booked the job. But then still Luxe didn't book the job, but the agency in Milan did.
Although agencies post stuff like that on their Facebook and blog etc, making ignorant people think that the job has been booked through them, while it's just them being proud that their model booked it.
I think this is probably what happened with what someone said that some model at an agency in Boston got booked for D&G.

But then again it's always hard to say, because different companies have different approaches. For example I know that Abercromby&Fitch does castings all over the world, for example in NYC and Miami, but als in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Paris, London, and probably many more cities. The same crew travels all over the world to find their models.

Jun 20 13 12:20 am Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Chicago, Illinois, US

The time is suspicious as well...if it's an East Coast agency, I don't see why they wouldn't just call during business hours hmm

Jun 20 13 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Jakov Markovic wrote:
It shouldn't die, because the "agency" still exists, and the models to be should get warned.

this is actually about two different companies using similar names 6 years apart from the original post, for that reason the thread deserves the kiss of death.

Jun 20 13 04:01 am Link