Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Doing make-up without a license

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is your 1st post - and no avatar.

Kelly Oswalt wrote:
I am a makeup artist who recently spent about 10 months going to school to get my aesthetics license. I had been doing makeup with Chanel as a freelancer for 8 years prior to that. Well this is a heated debate right now, and I suggest that if you are working as a MUA you check w/ the state board of cosmetology in you particular     state. Yes I agree the schools don't teach much about makeup application, but they do teach sanitation which is a big thing right now w/ all the viruses and diseases floating around . It is not their job to teach advanced makeup techniques that is for continuing education classes.  In my state which is Indiana you can apply makeup if you are selling the makeup(demonstration) purposes only. But I think a lot of people don't ask don't tell. Most likely no one will call you out on this if you are un-licensed, but beware because your competitors who have a cosmetology license may bring it up and cause you grief at some point in your career. That was not worth it to me because I wanted to be a professional and I figured I must make some sacrifices to show that I am a serious MUA is this business. Good luck figuring out this MUA enigma!

Jul 23 09 09:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tai MUA

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:

I'll take a Java Chip iced coffee.

+1

Jul 23 09 10:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I know this thread is old - but if you want someone legit, look for someone with experience and references.  And if you're really nit picky about it - find out if they have a LLC.

In AZ - you don't need a cosmo license unless you work in a salon.  All the top MUAs I've talked to in this state are either in IATSE or have their own LLCs.

Jul 24 09 08:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nicole Woods

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Angela Michelle Perez wrote:
I had a cosmetology license and they don't show you makeup work. Why would a Makeup artist drop $10,000 in school and 1,000 hours that you are required to get the license when all they teach is hair.

get an esthetician license.... it covers the face.... legally in florida you cannot tweeze or groom eyebrows as a make-up artst....but as a make-up artist w/ an esthetician license you can do it up. i went to school specifically for make-up, and now i'm opening a studio so i wanted to be licensed... as for hair styling on the PUBLIC you need to be a cosmotologist or under the supervision of one. on a music video set the rules are different....

Oct 16 09 08:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

CMMakeup

New York, New York, US

oi vey !! again with this.

YOu do NOT need a license to do makeup  working in FLIM, TV, theater, photography etc.

the reason, you are not working with the public, just a fellow "employee"

YOU ONLY NEED A LICENSE when you are working with the public. In a salon environment or out of the home. this is true for MOST states.

to do hair you will always need a license in almost every state, and every state has different requirements. not so much for photography but for Film TV theater, Salon ..most deff. need a license.

Oct 16 09 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Ohio Images-Sara

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Chris Milone wrote:
oi vey !! again with this.

YOu do NOT need a license to do makeup  working in FLIM, TV, theater, photography etc.

the reason, you are not working with the public, just a fellow "employee"

YOU ONLY NEED A LICENSE when you are working with the public. In a salon environment or out of the home. this is true for MOST states.

to do hair you will always need a license in almost every state, and every state has different requirements. not so much for photography but for Film TV theater, Salon ..most deff. need a license.

Thank you that was the first thing I though when I read this. Okay so look at it this way.....
You are a llama you are going to a shoot,your friend does pretty makeup so you ask her to do your makeup for the shoot (what an MUA does) and suppose your a nice friend and give her a couple dollars for coming out and doing it for you...Does she need a license for that? I think not.
Again- Yes,you need a license to work at a salon and whatnot, but freelance no.

Oct 16 09 10:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Roshar wrote:
Well looks like if I move to NYC I will have to quit makeup and work at Starbucks then.

This thread is so old I actually posted way before I moved to NY.

Oct 16 09 01:07 pm Link

Model

Saraya Destiney

Cheyenne, Wyoming, US

Roshar wrote:
Well looks like if I move to NYC I will have to quit makeup and work at Starbucks then.

Starbucks is not exactly easy. I worked there for two months and hated everyday of it lol.

Oct 16 09 01:12 pm Link