Forums > General Industry > Fine Art Nude vs Artistic Nude vs Glamour Nude

Model

|ris

Posts: 88

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd love to hear some definitions describing the difference between each.  These are different descriptions used to categorize nude images on some modeling sites, and I was never really clear on what excactly establishes the difference between "fine art nude" and "artistic nude".  I'd love to hear some opinions and thoughts on this.  Thanks.

Oct 07 07 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Posts: 25127

Boulder, Colorado, US

Search function

Oct 07 07 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

Posts: 9401

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

I don't consider mine glamour nudes if that helps.

Oct 07 07 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Posts: 25127

Boulder, Colorado, US

Iris Dassault wrote:
I'd love to hear some definitions describing the difference between each.  These are different descriptions used to categorize nude images on some modeling sites, and I was never really clear on what excactly establishes the difference between "fine art nude" and "artistic nude".  I'd love to hear some opinions and thoughts on this.  Thanks.

Great port, by the way

Oct 07 07 07:30 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Posts: 50816

Leawood, Kansas, US

Fine art nudes have to taken in color and be converted to gray scale or no one will take you seriously. tongue

Oct 07 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

Posts: 9401

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

Color is a fad which will go away soon...

Oct 07 07 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Posts: 8239

Mobile, Alabama, US

The difference between artistic nude and fine art nude is who likes the image. If a rich person likes it, it's fine art. If a major gallery likes it, it's fine art. If it's undiscovered or undesirable by the aristocracy then it's just artistic.

In other words, fine art is only a class distinction, not an artistic distinction.

Oct 07 07 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Posts: 25127

Boulder, Colorado, US

EL Perdido wrote:
Color is a fad which will go away soon...

I sure hope not.  The idea of separating "artistic" or not based on color or mono is laughable.

Oct 07 07 07:35 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

Posts: 7738

New York, New York, US

Fine Art Nude
There is more than just a picture.

Artistic Nude
Color shit. Paint shit.

Glamour Nude
Boobs and pussy. Makeup included.

Sorry if I made anyone feel offended. I attempted to humor at least one user. tongue

Oct 07 07 07:36 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Posts: 6688

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I actually dont really understand the difference between artistic and fine art nudes too.
I dont really care anyway but still big_smile

Oct 07 07 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Posts: 7990

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
Fine art nudes have to taken in color and be converted to gray scale or no one will take you seriously. tongue

Sheesh. lol.

Oct 07 07 07:38 pm Link

Model

|ris

Posts: 88

Detroit, Michigan, US

EL Perdido wrote:
I don't consider mine glamour nudes if that helps.

I'm getting that part...  smile
But are yours Fine Art, or Artistic?
Not that I think it really matters, I was just curious since somebody apparently decided the difference was important enough to make them different image categories.

Oct 07 07 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Shinigami Visuals

Posts: 390

Buffalo, South Carolina, US

Dona wrote:
Fine Art Nude
There is more than just a picture.

Artistic Nude
Color shit. Paint shit.

Glamour Nude
Boobs and pussy. Makeup included.

Sorry if I made anyone feel offended. I attempted to humor at least one user. tongue

Down and dirty, good decription

Oct 07 07 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

Posts: 9401

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

Iris Dassault wrote:

I'm getting that part...  smile
But are yours Fine Art, or Artistic?
Not that I think it really matters, I was just curious since somebody apparently decided the difference was important enough to make them different image categories.

Who made that decision?

Oct 07 07 07:40 pm Link

Model

Whitney Necole

Posts: 3

Edwardsville, Illinois, US

Dona wrote:
Fine Art Nude
There is more than just a picture.

Artistic Nude
Color shit. Paint shit.

Glamour Nude
Boobs and pussy. Makeup included.

Sorry if I made anyone feel offended. I attempted to humor at least one user. tongue

Hahaha.

Oct 07 07 07:40 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Posts: 11483

Fine Art Nude
serious artsy stuff going on

Artistic Nude
crazy artsy stuff going on

Glamour Nude
sexy make-up big hair nude stuff going on

Oct 07 07 07:41 pm Link

Model

Candy Poses

Posts: 3380

Seattle, Washington, US

The difference between fine art nudes, artistic nudes, and glamour nudes is, in my eyes, the following: fine art nudes are focused on the composition of the image(it's about shapes), artistic nudes are focused on the nude person(s)(it's about the subject), and glamour nudes are focused on the (usually idealized) sexuality of the nude person(s)(it's about the sex).

Of course, they all overlap, and even with specific definitions such as this, disagreements about what fits where are inevitable.

Here are some examples from my portfolio of the three (all 18+):

A fine art nude.
An artistic nude.
A glamour nude.

That's just my opinion, but keep in mind that I'm always correct.  Always.

Oct 07 07 07:42 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Posts: 11483

EL Perdido wrote:
I don't consider mine glamour nudes if that helps.

I consider your fine art nudes.

Oct 07 07 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

Posts: 9401

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

Iris Dassault wrote:
..."fine art nude" and "artistic nude"...

don't think there is a separation, one in the same. Glamour is blatantly t+a

Oct 07 07 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shinigami Visuals

Posts: 390

Buffalo, South Carolina, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
Fine art nudes have to taken in color and be converted to gray scale or no one will take you seriously. tongue

by this defintion, my avatar is fine art. I really don't care. but I guess that's what it is.

Oct 07 07 07:44 pm Link

Model

|ris

Posts: 88

Detroit, Michigan, US

Candy Poses wrote:
The difference between fine art nudes, artistic nudes, and glamour nudes is, in my eyes, the following: fine art nudes are focused on the composition of the image(it's about shapes), artistic nudes are focused on the nude person(s)(it's about the subject), and glamour nudes are focused on the (usually idealized) sexuality of the nude person(s)(it's about the sex).

Of course, they all overlap, and even with specific definitions such as this, disagreements about what fits where are inevitable.

Here are some examples from my portfolio of the three (all 18+):

A fine art nude.
An artistic nude.
A glamour nude.

That's just my opinion, but keep in mind that I'm always correct.  Always.

Thanks Candy.  I figured you'd come to the rescue here smile
I have been randomly categorizing mine as either artistic or fine art.  I figured nobody really cared anyhow, but I was still curious about it.
And I do very little glamour stuff because that just isn't my bag.

Oct 07 07 07:45 pm Link

Model

|ris

Posts: 88

Detroit, Michigan, US

Miss Ambiguous wrote:
Fine Art Nude
serious artsy stuff going on

Artistic Nude
crazy artsy stuff going on

Glamour Nude
sexy make-up big hair nude stuff going on

This is probably more along the lines of what I was thinking, but there is a fine line between serious artsy and crazy artsy...

Oct 07 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Posts: 457

Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, US

I don't know.

I just shoot.

Oct 07 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posts: 24315

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

glamour nude, higlights the model's sensuality
artisitic nude, highlights the photographers skill
fine art nude...yeah ughhh...its black and white...

Oct 07 07 07:48 pm Link

Model

|ris

Posts: 88

Detroit, Michigan, US

LGL Underground wrote:
I don't know.

I just shoot.

Probably the smartest approach.
Not sure why there have to be boxes to categorize things like this.  I really just care about the image, and which box it fits really shouldn't matter.

Oct 07 07 07:49 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

Posts: 7738

New York, New York, US

Iris Dassault wrote:

Probably the smartest approach.
Not sure why there have to be boxes to categorize things like this.  I really just care about the image, and which box it fits really shouldn't matter.

Me too. That's why I prefer to stay on MM over other sites that corner me to place images in categories. tongue

Oct 07 07 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Posts: 457

Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, US

My head starts to hurt everytime somebody tries to define an image I captured.

I don't know what to call it, sure, I can name it, but categorize it?  Well, I can tell you how it made me feel.

How does it make you feel... is certainly more important to me than what category its called.

Gotta run... got more rules to break.

Oct 07 07 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

Posts: 9401

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
glamour nude, higlights the model's sensuality
artisitic nude, highlights the photographers skill
fine art nude...yeah ughhh...its black and white...

Serious case of Monohromatophobia

Oct 07 07 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

scphoto

Posts: 121

Dudley, North Carolina, US

Iris Dassault wrote:

Probably the smartest approach.
Not sure why there have to be boxes to categorize things like this.  I really just care about the image, and which box it fits really shouldn't matter.

Applause applause applause

Oct 07 07 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Posts: 17229

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Artistic nude - the model is on a plain backdrop with minimal props.  The focus is on the model's body.  may be B&W or color.  If model's cooter is shaved, it's glamour, not artistic.

Fine art nude - shot outdoors or indoors with so much junk in the picture that you have to hunt for the naked model.  Must be shot on outdated B&W film that somebody has had in their freezer for 20 years and hand printed on obscure fine art media paper imported from some eastern european country no one has ever heard of.

Glamour nude - Nekkid chick, usually posed in a motel room or up against a brick wall in an alley or old building. At least one shot in the set must have her ass in the air pointed toward the camera and her head down on her arms.  May be looking back over her shoulder at the camera.  Final image has so much photoshop skin smoothing that the model looks like a Barbie doll.

tongue tongue tongue

Oct 07 07 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

RenPho

Posts: 1678

Fine art (artistic) nude - a few people buy it framed and hang on the wall with wire
Artistic nude - not good enough to be fine art, but a step up from glamour nude
Glamour nude - lots of people will pay to see it, but as looseleaf or stapled to a wall

And we love all three.  Fine art is the only one you can legally leave up when Grandma comes over for meatloaf night, though.

Oct 07 07 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

njw

Posts: 2

London, Ontario, Canada

Butch Lexington wrote:
And we love all three.  Fine art is the only one you can legally leave up when Grandma comes over for meatloaf night, though.

AMEN!

Oct 07 07 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

B Ballard Photography

Posts: 1560

Savannah, Georgia, US

I only know mine aren't "Glamour Nude."

Aside from that, I use Artistic Nude and Fine-Art Nude interchangebly, although the term "Art Nude," which I haven't noticed referenced in this thread, is how I refer to my work most of the time...

Oct 07 07 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Posts: 3105

Vacaville, California, US

Iris Dassault wrote:

Probably the smartest approach.
Not sure why there have to be boxes to categorize things like this.  I really just care about the image, and which box it fits really shouldn't matter.

There's a much clearer distinction between Fine art/artistic and glamour than between fine art and artistic.  But the reality is that fine art is often thought of as a B&W image. 

Just continue to create the art... fine distinctions between categories is rarely that important.

Oct 07 07 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Posts: 12588

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Glamour pics get masturbated to with Jergens and then you have a beer.


Art Nudes get masturbated to with glycerin and then you have a tea.


Fine Art Nudes get masturbated to with mineral oils and then you sip an aged chianti.



It's all on a sliding scale of pretentiousness.


lol

Oct 07 07 10:12 pm Link

Model

Irene

Posts: 1836

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ransom-The Cheese-J wrote:
Glamour pics get masturbated to with Jergens and then you have a beer.


Art Nudes get masturbated to with glycerin and then you have a tea.


Fine Art Nudes get masturbated to with mineral oils and then you sip an aged chianti.



It's all on a sliding scale of pretentiousness.


lol

I just pissed in my pants

Oct 07 07 10:24 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Posts: 11176

Oakland, California, US

I don't need to lube if the porn is good enough and i drink cider...

Oct 07 07 10:25 pm Link

Model

JAH CAN

Posts: 238

Campbellville, Ontario, Canada

Fine Art Nude = Artistic Nude shot by talented photographer. Mediocre Art Nude = Black & White Nude shot by GWC.

Oct 07 07 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Phoenix Images

Posts: 433

San Francisco, California, US

Iris Dassault wrote:

Probably the smartest approach.
Not sure why there have to be boxes to categorize things like this.  I really just care about the image, and which box it fits really shouldn't matter.

Reminds me of music bands trying to explain their style of music.

Oct 07 07 10:46 pm Link

Model

nicolla

Posts: 40

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

fine art/artistic: special emphasis taken to layer the image in a VERY subtle way with quality detail: top notch lightitng ... texture, model selection, tons of other things .... (fine art should be the capturing of something beautiful .... beauty is NOT easily defined and it's definition elludes us, buuuuuut I think we'd all agree that beauty can be said to have tremendous layers and great detail .... this is what artistic photos should be ... whether you are shooting womens shoes, a wedding or childrens toys ... should all have those basic qualifications met!

glamour: usually brighter, bolder lighting (not too many layers/dimension to the image ...what you see is what you get ) ... more emphasis on the person/subject 
Kinda in your face and straightforward, sometimes arousing a fantasy (nontangible/non-everyday) element , but not always ....
Example: Many images of celebrities are often glamour shots .... but likewise many images in Playboy magazine are also glamour photos ... two different genre of audiences, but that same basic elements presented in both set of photos.


my two cents
-nic

Oct 07 07 10:58 pm Link