Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:
So, there's another tie tonight.

I'm sick & tired of all the bitching about ties & tie breakers.  On top of the abuse I take for simply enforcing the rules, it's no fun anymore.

So I'm thinking that from now on if there's a tie we just won't have a winner on those nights.

How's that sound to everyone???

LoL

I'll go to my grave trying to figure out why you took on the task of breaking ties.

Aug 03 08 12:54 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Chris Keeling wrote:
LoL

I'll go to my grave trying to figure out why you took on the task of breaking ties.

I'm not sure why I took on this damn CONTEST.
But I'm sick of the crap so from now on no winner in the event of a tie.

Aug 03 08 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Fremont, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:

I'm sick & tired of all the bitching about ties & tie breakers.  On top of the abuse I take for simply enforcing the rules, it's no fun anymore.

So I'm thinking that from now on if there's a tie we just won't have a winner on those nights.

Sounds totally fine for me ... if you have a tie then you have 2 winners or even three ... no need to break ... or no need to have a "no winner" either ...  just let the dice roll where they roll

Aug 03 08 04:41 am Link

Model

Janet Mason

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I'm not sure why I took on this damn CONTEST.
But I'm sick of the crap so from now on no winner in the event of a tie.

I personally think you are doing a fine job.

If there is a tie, rather than NO winner, why not just allow both parties to claim first place? A tie is a tie...isn't that's why it's called a tie?

Why capitulate to the whining/bitching lowest denominator by having no winner at all? People like that are a dime a dozen and the only way they learn that they are not "in charge" is when they are ignored.

Again...I think you are doing a fine job. Ignore the whiners.

Aug 03 08 08:06 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Janet Mason wrote:
I personally think you are doing a fine job.

If there is a tie, rather than NO winner, why not just allow both parties to claim first place? A tie is a tie...isn't that's why it's called a tie?

Why capitulate to the whining/bitching lowest denominator by having no winner at all? People like that are a dime a dozen and the only way they learn that they are not "in charge" is when they are ignored.

Again...I think you are doing a fine job. Ignore the whiners.

That's what we USED to do, and it got unworkable due to a) people bitching about there being NO winner and b) the frequent occurrence of 3 or more winners.

*shrug*  My point to this was that no matter what people are going to complain & be unhappy.

The volume of overall complaints has just been particularly loud lately, so the complaints about tie breakers & snarky comments by people unhappy about choices rubbed me particularly the wrong way in the midst of some pretty foul abuse from people who're pissed that I enforce the rules.

Anyway, last night came down to Cherrystone & Amadeus, I'll post the winner lately.
New rule will probably actually be that anyone who bitches about tie breakers or my decisions in them can kiss my ass & piss off from the contest if they don't like it.

Aug 03 08 08:28 am Link

Photographer

BobbyGPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

SLE Photography wrote:
New rule will probably actually be that anyone who bitches about tie breakers or my decisions in them can kiss my ass & piss off from the contest if they don't like it.

THATS how I feel about it...holy crap, its a freekin internet "attaboy" contest for cryin out loud...If it were me, let these folks go in one ear and out the other.  You do a great job and there will ALWAYS be those who disagree...if they bitch, send a scripted standard email and be done with it....you may also consider recruiting 4 or 5 regulars who are fairly flexible time wise...call them the "commitee" if you will...in the event of a tie...shot an email to 2 or 3 of the "commitee" members...the first one to reply is the tie breaking vote...THEN the tiebreaking reply would be "Tonights winner determined by the commitee is yada yada"...NOW you're not the "BAD GUY" every time...also that way NO ONE knows who determined the winner...just a thought.  Or piss on the bitchers and moaners and keep it as is... yikes

Aug 03 08 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Fremont, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Anyway, last night came down to Cherrystone & Amadeus, I'll post the winner lately.

Hmmm ... I didn't enter anything ... lol ... must be a troll ... lol

Aug 03 08 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Bobby G wrote:

THATS how I feel about it...holy crap, its a freekin internet "attaboy" contest for cryin out loud...If it were me, let these folks go in one ear and out the other.  You do a great job and there will ALWAYS be those who disagree...if they bitch, send a scripted standard email and be done with it....you may also consider recruiting 4 or 5 regulars who are fairly flexible time wise...call them the "commitee" if you will...in the event of a tie...shot an email to 2 or 3 of the "commitee" members...the first one to reply is the tie breaking vote...THEN the tiebreaking reply would be "Tonights winner determined by the commitee is yada yada"...NOW you're not the "BAD GUY" every time...also that way NO ONE knows who determined the winner...just a thought.  Or piss on the bitchers and moaners and keep it as is... yikes

Hear hear.....

Aug 03 08 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Amedeus wrote:

Hmmm ... I didn't enter anything ... lol ... must be a troll ... lol

That's what I get for typing before coffee.  It was Tommy & Cherrystone.  Sorry.  smile

Aug 03 08 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Tommy wins.

Cherrystone, reasons for my pick:
I felt like tonality was lacking & the overall grey didn't favor the composition.  Some starker blacks in the shadows & whiter skin tones on the model would've made for a sharper image.
Also, the model's pose with the glasses looked a bit forced, a kind of "Oh hai, I'm naked & I saw whut u did thar."  (as the net kids say)

Tommy, the highlights on yours were a bit distracting but overall I liked the use of color & range of tones and the simplicity of the composition.

Aug 03 08 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

MC 2

New York, New York, US

Why not have two winners when there's a tie and when there are more, make it whoever go the winning number of votes first?

Aug 03 08 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

MC 2 wrote:
Why not have two winners when there's a tie and when there are more, make it whoever go the winning number of votes first?

Nope.  I vote that I continue to break ties, and if people don't like it I will remind them (as Bobby so eloquently put it) that this is an internet attaboy contest so if they're taking it so seriously that they're butthurt over a tie break in something like this they should take their marbles & GTFO.
I spend a couple of hours a day (on average) on the contest as it is, I'm not going to go in to some complicated & arbitrary system that requires me to go back & count up who got which votes when.

Aug 03 08 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Nope.  I vote that I continue to break ties, and if people don't like it I will remind them (as Bobby so eloquently put it) that this is an internet attaboy contest so if they're taking it so seriously that they're butthurt over a tie break in something like this they should take their marbles & GTFO.
I spend a couple of hours a day (on average) on the contest as it is, I'm not going to go in to some complicated & arbitrary system that requires me to go back & count up who got which votes when.

James, while I disagree with the way you are breaking ties, it's your contest and you can do it anyway you want.  I've never gotten pissed or anything because of the tiebreaker system, I've just never understood why you'd want to do it.  You've stated it was because some people complained, but I think it's evidenced just in the thread alone that people are still going to bitch.

The only time I've posted about the subject has been in response to you complaining about having to break ties when they arise.  Inevitably everytime there is a tie, you come into DT and complain about it happening again.  I've merely posted in response that the obvious solution to your problem is to stop doing it.

I apologize if you think I've been bitching about it, the last thing I want to do is take your enjoyment out of running the contest.

Aug 03 08 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Chris Keeling wrote:
James, while I disagree with the way you are breaking ties, it's your contest and you can do it anyway you want.  I've never gotten pissed or anything because of the tiebreaker system, I've just never understood why you'd want to do it.  You've stated it was because some people complained, but I think it's evidenced just in the thread alone that people are still going to bitch.

The only time I've posted about the subject has been in response to you complaining about having to break ties when they arise.  Inevitably everytime there is a tie, you come into DT and complain about it happening again.  I've merely posted in response that the obvious solution to your problem is to stop doing it.

I apologize if you think I've been bitching about it, the last thing I want to do is take your enjoyment out of running the contest.

I'm not talking about you, Chris.  You guys wouldn't believe some of the abuse I get in the form of PMs from people about things regarding the contest.  I shared some of it with Dj yesterday over a matter other than ties where someone who's not a regular player & who'd dropped in to the thread not to play or vote but to say negative things had sent some really abusive responses to me.

The ties are such a minor issue that when people bitch about them it's just like "Why?" and it gets grating.

I don't generally bitch (I mention sometimes the choices are tough) unless it's on one of those days when there've been ties (usually with multiple winners) for several days in a given week, and that's often more to let people know what a tough choice it is & that their work IS being given consideration and not just arbitrarily picked.

Aug 03 08 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

I'm not talking about you, Chris.  You guys wouldn't believe some of the abuse I get in the form of PMs from people about things regarding the contest.  I shared some of it with Dj yesterday over a matter other than ties where someone who's not a regular player & who'd dropped in to the thread not to play or vote but to say negative things had sent some really abusive responses to me.

The ties are such a minor issue that when people bitch about them it's just like "Why?" and it gets grating.

I don't generally bitch (I mention sometimes the choices are tough) unless it's on one of those days when there've been ties (usually with multiple winners) for several days in a given week, and that's often more to let people know what a tough choice it is & that their work IS being given consideration and not just arbitrarily picked.

smile

It's a shame MM doesn't have something similar to Photoshop Actions.  You could program an action to type and send "Thank you for your input, I'll take it under advisement." and then the action would hit the BLOCK button.

All you'd have to do is hit SHIFT+F12 and your problem's solved.  lol

Aug 03 08 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Chris Keeling wrote:

smile

It's a shame MM doesn't have something similar to Photoshop Actions.  You could program an action to type and send "Thank you for your input, I'll take it under advisement." and then the action would hit the BLOCK button.

All you'd have to do is hit SHIFT+F12 and your problem's solved.  lol

Wouldn't THAT be lovely.  *sigh*

Aug 03 08 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Magicc Imagery

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Back from the bike trip and jeesss I miss all this excitement!  BTW - What a great trip and sooooooo needed.   

Just because I thought of it ..... You could always do this in case of a tie break - You Vote on;y in cases of a tie break (then you can vote any way you feel on the pictires chosen).   I know that would mean that most of the time you might not get to vote though and remember that it would be your choice to do this or not.  also I know that you should be able to choose whatever shot that you like best that day, but it would be just your feeling about what picture that you liked best,  and voting just like anyone else in the competition.   and with a tie break being the only time that your vote comes up - you only ever get to choose between a limited number of shots.   

I might not be illustrating my point fully .... it's just something that popped into my head anyway.

Scott

Aug 03 08 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

nathan a

Santa Maria, California, US

please put my profiles:  nathan a and nathan appel II on the discussion list (if it isn't already)  enjoy your sunday!

Aug 03 08 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Dee

Norwalk, Ohio, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Sorry about the tie ... and that sounds fine to me, whatever you want.

FWIW I came this close to replying to the princess who didn't "appreciate" your suggesting that he follow the rules - and uncharacteristically though better of it ;-)

Keep up the good work, I sure don't want your job.

Aug 03 08 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Magicc Imagery wrote:
Back from the bike trip and jeesss I miss all this excitement!  BTW - What a great trip and sooooooo needed.   

Just because I thought of it ..... You could always do this in case of a tie break - You Vote on;y in cases of a tie break (then you can vote any way you feel on the pictires chosen).   I know that would mean that most of the time you might not get to vote though and remember that it would be your choice to do this or not.  also I know that you should be able to choose whatever shot that you like best that day, but it would be just your feeling about what picture that you liked best,  and voting just like anyone else in the competition.   and with a tie break being the only time that your vote comes up - you only ever get to choose between a limited number of shots.   

I might not be illustrating my point fully .... it's just something that popped into my head anyway.

Scott

That's what I already do.  smile  I hold my vote & only cast it in the event of a tie.

Aug 03 08 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

nathan a wrote:
please put my profiles:  nathan a and nathan appel II on the discussion list (if it isn't already)  enjoy your sunday!

done

Aug 03 08 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Janet is not on the list so I will not be discussing the reasoning behind the tie break.  smile

Aug 04 08 01:58 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

bump for the thread

Dj, list isn't linked on this page, would you like to throw it up?

Aug 04 08 09:31 am Link

Model

Nicole Moser

Baltimore, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Janet is not on the list so I will not be discussing the reasoning behind the tie break.  smile

She posted above......

Aug 04 08 10:41 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Nicole Moser wrote:
She posted above......

She's posted in the thread but I haven't seen her request to be on the list.
I checked the list & she's not there.
If she adds herself I'll post it.  smile

Aug 04 08 10:45 am Link

Photographer

StudioCMC

Bear, Delaware, US

SLE Photography wrote:

I would think that a MM thread contest of this popularity, and time that it has gone on, well before I have ever been apart of it, I think that you should simply count the votes, if its a tie, let them win.

The other variation which of course absorbs more of your time, is to create a TIE images of the 2 or 3 or 7 people who have come to the tie, to go into the next day. This would draw conclusion that the vote was done by the people. Rather than you.

As far as you maintaining the rules, I think you do a great job, and those who dont read the rules, are simply tarts. They know not what they do, or what is proper. (Writing Comments about submitted images, Posting Non 18+ images and such)

It's clear that you are running the show, and your enforcement of the rules is also the clear statement that you care enough to keep this going, when you could simply let it slide off, and not run it anymore. Doing a contest like this day in & day out is a lot of your resources, just to "entertain people" for the fun of it. But the more popular it becomes, the more people will need to learn the rules, and to read.

I could only suggest the obvious, and pick 2 other daily players, to help out with the contest, to support it and to help maintain the thread contest. I know thats not much help.

Dont burn yourself out, and if the "bitching" starts to bother you, thats when you simply give out a "Graphic" for the tie breakers.. Or create a vote challenge the next day to let the Masses settle the score.

On the MM POTD contest, I was proud to win that, but it was 2 first place winners that day. I didnt care, I was happy to win that, as I am just as proud to win the 4 that my StudioCMC II account has won.

I truely enjoy this contest, the people who are regulars just keep setting the bar higher and higher, and I think it pushes "all of us" to deliver better work.. Well, it does for me anyways.

Thats my thinking.
Chris

Aug 04 08 10:52 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Here's the link to list. Please make sure the person whose work you'd like to discuss is on it. Thanks.
I'm PM Janet

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … ost6822297

Good Morning, late

edit- PM sent to Janet.

Aug 04 08 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Magicc Imagery

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:
That's what I already do.  smile  I hold my vote & only cast it in the event of a tie.

I wasn't aware of that but, like I have thought from the beginning, I think that you do a great job and think that it is fine the way that it currently works!

Aug 04 08 11:40 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Janet is on the list. So James you can tell us your thinking - or not.

Aug 04 08 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

North Smithfield, Rhode Island, US

StudioCMC wrote:

I truely enjoy this contest, the people who are regulars just keep setting the bar higher and higher, and I think it pushes "all of us" to deliver better work.. Well, it does for me anyways.

Chris

...well said, Chris , and speaks for me as well.
James, keep on keepin on as you see fit and able...the rest of us are grateful for a chance to spotlight some of our work and the job well done in creating and maintaining the POD 18+
The vote tie-breaker by yourself is not a problem and how you finally decide is your priviledge and perogative for which I am a supporter.

Aug 04 08 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

jandj studios wrote:

From the PM I sent Janet when she asked:

SLE Photography wrote:
SLE Photography
08/04/08 9:24 AM
(Message read)     Hi Janet-

As noted in the rules, I reserve my vote in case of ties & cast it to break them.
Usually if both people in the tie are on the list for discussion I talk about it in the D.T. I mentioned that I couldn't discuss it publicly because you're not on the critique list.

In the case of last night's tie, I recursed myself from my usual tie break vote due to a personal issue. I have a small group of people including the contest founder who I approach in cases like that to help decide the winner.

On comparing your entry to Ken's, the consensus was that the angle was more interesting & pose more dynamic in Ken's image, and that yours suffered from too much noticeable post processing that detracted from the overall effect.

Thanks
James/SLE Photo

Aug 04 08 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

jandj studios wrote:

From the PM I sent Janet when she asked:

James, I'll make your life a little easier.  If either me or my other profile.....Christophers Kamera......is involved in a tie, eliminate my image from consideration and give the win to the other image.  This applies to all future images I enter.

I personally don't need the wins.....I have plenty and I'm here at this point more for the motivating factor that this contest inspires in me to stretch myself...... and I'd much rather concede the win in good faith to someone who may need it more than me instead of having my fate judged by a group of people who don't like photoshop.

You know my feelings about ignoring the voters and deciding on a winner without the voters wishes in mind, so I feel this way I won't have any reason to get upset if or when I am ever in the situation.   smile

Aug 04 08 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Chris Keeling wrote:
James, I'll make your life a little easier.  If either me or my other profile.....Christophers Kamera......is involved in a tie, eliminate my image from consideration and give the win to the other image.  This applies to all future images I enter.

I personally don't need the wins.....I have plenty and I'm here at this point more for the motivating factor that this contest inspires in me to stretch myself...... and I'd much rather concede the win in good faith to someone who may need it more than me instead of having my fate judged by a group of people who don't like photoshop.

You know my feelings about ignoring the voters and deciding on a winner without the voters wishes in mind, so I feel this way I won't have any reason to get upset if or when I am ever in the situation.   smile

I wouldn't say anyone involved hates PS, Craig certainly spends hours in it on every image.
The comment was that the WAY it was used on that image (specifically the vignetting effect) detracted from the overall image.

Truthfully, I felt exactly the same way and would've voted it without asking but as I noted there's a personal issue at work (nothing to do with Janet) so I asked someone else to make sure I wasn''t being harsh because of it.

Aug 04 08 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

2 notes.
First off, this was the most votes we've had in ages.  Yay!  It's good to see.

Second, on my choice in the tie break. I liked at all 5 images but from first glance to last thought Studio CMC's was simply the one I liked best.
No real technical comments or anything, it just hit me at a visceral level.

Aug 05 08 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Dee

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Susie sez "Hi gang, miss you!!!".

I dropped my planned entry tonight to enter her choice by proxy. Hope you like it!

Aug 05 08 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Dee

Norwalk, Ohio, US

By request moved here:

SLE Photography wrote:
VOTE count for Monday, August 4th
StudioCMC II ~ 4
Tommy Dee ~ 4
Moon Marie Nudes ~ 2
Orixx ~ 4
Beth Caldwell ~ 1
Carly Erin Nudes ~ 4
Moon Marie Nudes ~ 2
popemagnet ~ 1
Le Beck Photography ~ 1
Cherrystone ~ 4
Michael Vasquez Photo ~ 1
Janet Mason ~ 1

Out of curiosity was Ms. Marie considered for the tie breaker or did she really only garner two votes?

I had a few issues with the photo but she's welcome to boot my behind ...

Aug 05 08 01:56 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Tommy Dee wrote:
Out of curiosity was Ms. Marie considered for the tie breaker or did she really only garner two votes?

I had a few issues with the photo but she's welcome to boot my behind ...

Marie was.  If you noticed, the "second place" post said "a 5 way tie."
Somehow when I went to adjust the vote for your right at the wire vote I typoed it to 2 instead of 4.
But I did count/consider her entry & I updated the vote.

Aug 05 08 01:58 am Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

The whole tie thing doesn't bother me at all. I thought you were looking for a way to not have to do it.

The thing I don't get is the attaboy contest being an argument for anything. If it's just an attaboy contest, let there be 15 winners, who cares?

Hell, make a gold emblem for people to add to the port every time they participate.

How about another award for voting for the winning image.

That would actually be interesting to see - who has the most votes for images that end up winners. It would be interesting to see if there were taste patterns between images that won and voter's images. It would surprise me if they were actually pretty opposite rather than similar.

Aug 05 08 06:59 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Here's the link to the list. I have asked Carly to join the fun waiting for response

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … ost6822297

Hope everyone has a great day. Hey let's go for a another 5 way tie. LOL.

Good job James -

Aug 05 08 09:20 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Mike Caffrey wrote:

The whole tie thing doesn't bother me at all. I thought you were looking for a way to not have to do it.

The thing I don't get is the attaboy contest being an argument for anything. If it's just an attaboy contest, let there be 15 winners, who cares?

Hell, make a gold emblem for people to add to the port every time they participate.

How about another award for voting for the winning image.

That would actually be interesting to see - who has the most votes for images that end up winners. It would be interesting to see if there were taste patterns between images that won and voter's images. It would surprise me if they were actually pretty opposite rather than similar.

2 issues with 5 winners.  Number 1, those people are unhappy.
#2, I have actual plans to restart the gallery at some point & the amount of extra coding time becomes ludicrous.

Aug 05 08 09:36 am Link