Forums > Model Colloquy > Skinny male models

Photographer

Bad Karma Photo

Houston, Texas, US

I have a question, I see many models are primarily very built, yet there are some I see on runways where they are very tall and thin, not necessarily built at all, but very thin. Is that a niche, or is that the norm? Do high end fashion models have to be built? Or does the industry actually have a place for skinny tall male models as seen on some runways? If so, is that more common or less common? Just looking at the opportunities smile

May 14 08 12:49 am Link

Model

Arielle Aquinas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Skinny male models are apparently the new "trend" for runway.

Learned something about it in college this semester. Professor was a model so he always liked to bring up stuff like that. tongue

May 14 08 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Bad Karma Photo

Houston, Texas, US

Rev  Arielle wrote:

Learned something about it in college this semester. Professor was a model so he always liked to bring up stuff like that. tongue

Very interesting smile I've also seen that more in magazines as well

May 14 08 01:28 am Link

Photographer

xaveir

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Capts. logg Star Date 5/13/08-  We have lift Off.  Skinny Male Models are IN.

May 14 08 01:30 am Link

Model

Kendra em

Orlando, Florida, US

May 14 08 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Bad Karma Photo

Houston, Texas, US

Kendra McCan wrote:

i want a male model as a professor!!

i've only had one hot teacher, and he was a guest lecturer from germany so i just stared at him a lot since i couldn't understand him. lol.

*puts on glasses*

Welcome to Chemistry big_smile

May 14 08 01:41 am Link

Model

Kendra em

Orlando, Florida, US

May 14 08 01:44 am Link

Model

Jay Stone

Definitely a trend, but what can you do. thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

May 14 08 01:48 am Link

Model

Sean Liu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I teach physics

May 14 08 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Rick Rotondo

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, US

I can model again!  I'm 6'4", 165lbs... lol.

May 14 08 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I love the new waif male models...

May 14 08 10:05 am Link

Model

__noir__

Buffalo, New York, US

Shon D Photography wrote:
I love the new waif male models...

Me too. And just men like that in general.

unf.

May 14 08 10:22 am Link

Model

Allen G

Los Angeles, California, US

and that's the way it should be. I loveeee prada.

May 14 08 02:21 pm Link

Model

Ty Pike

New York, New York, US

I actually for one of my classes wrote about this.

When I did some reading, some designers said that the buff models tend to only fit into certain types of modeling.

They said that their clothes looked better on skinnier guys due to the fact that not everyone has muscles everywhere.

May 14 08 02:23 pm Link

Model

Trevor Mark

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

What about us "average" guys who look good with clothing...

May 14 08 02:27 pm Link

Model

Ty Pike

New York, New York, US

Trevor Mark wrote:
What about us "average" guys who look good with clothing...

I'm the same way.
Too skinny makes the models look bad.
I think they should shoot for the average.

May 14 08 02:31 pm Link

Model

Bruno A Gogo

pfft.

next it's gonna be Heroin Chic for Men...

May 15 08 03:46 pm Link

Model

D M M

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rev  Arielle wrote:

Effing-a do I want to attend your college. Eye candy during lectures? I'm down.

May 15 08 03:48 pm Link

Model

Sam_

New York, New York, US

Yes, fashion's all about the skinny tall boys right now.  They make the best clothes hangers.

May 15 08 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kennedy Studios

Toronto, Iowa, US

well there is a market for both and they both work, it depends on the client, the boys being booked for say dolce&gabanna or versace are bigger while the boys being booked for say prada and burberry are skinny. it isnt about ebing in or our, different clients like different guys

May 15 08 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Born Free wrote:
I teach physics

Don't say that. I can't afford college anymore.

May 15 08 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bad Karma Photo wrote:
I have a question, I see many models are primarily very built, yet there are some I see on runways where they are very tall and thin, not necessarily built at all, but very thin. Is that a niche, or is that the norm? Do high end fashion models have to be built? Or does the industry actually have a place for skinny tall male models as seen on some runways? If so, is that more common or less common? Just looking at the opportunities smile

BTW-you're only about 2 years behind....Hedi Slimane? Dior Homme? Kind of important in men's fashion...  Check out RickDayNYC  (sorry, don't know his MM #) for the current standard in male model (HIGH FASHION) in New York

May 15 08 07:51 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Rev  Arielle wrote:

I guess it all depends on what market, cause for me... I have a hard time finding work cause I am naturally very thin.. I am cut... just thin.... most of the guys I meet at castings are pretty stocky... and very ripped... they are about 170lbs i'd guess....

May 15 08 07:58 pm Link

Model

Joseph_Miller

Tyler Pike wrote:

I'm the same way.
Too skinny makes the models look bad.
I think they should shoot for the average.

HEY!!!...  I acctually think Skinny model's are pretty classy and "Fashion Fit" for the runway's...  At least "we" the skinny are mostlikely not to gain weight after a few year's in the Insdustry...[No offense...]  (:

(At least it's good for my benefit! lol)

May 15 08 08:42 pm Link

Model

Joseph_Miller

Sam_  wrote:
Yes, fashion's all about the skinny tall boys right now.  They make the best clothes hangers.

I love you Sam!  wink

May 15 08 08:43 pm Link

Model

Joseph_Miller

janos gyorke wrote:

I guess it all depends on what market, cause for me... I have a hard time finding work cause I am naturally very thin.. I am cut... just thin.... most of the guys I meet at castings are pretty stocky... and very ripped... they are about 170lbs i'd guess....

I'd put some liquid ex-lax in their "Beauty" water, during the casting/interview... Just to give me more Bubble space!  (lol...j/k)

May 15 08 08:47 pm Link

Model

naim

New York, New York, US

Bad Karma Photo wrote:

I'm one of those skinny male models and darn proud of it.  lol...

I think alot of it has to do wit the fit of the clothes.

I found that being skinny helps me out greatly when it comes to going to fittings.

I have discovered that being skinny helps me fit into clothing perfectly!!!

When I say perfect I mean as if I was standing there when the designer first made it.

I love it!

I can't think of one time where something that I wore had to be altered.  Even when it comes to personally shopping for myself I find that clothes are made to fit me perfectly.

The last time I had that happen I bought a gorgeous blue swade sports jacket with a absolute perfect fit and it needed no alterations what so ever.

One of thing I want to point out.  I've been taught in my career that (especially those who are vertically challenged) anything horizontal other than laying down makes the model seem shorter and in some cases heavier.  It's about showing off the clothes and not the model. 

So I guess it will always be about the clothes or artistic direction and not the model...

May 16 08 12:44 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

I dig the skinny rockstar look wink

May 16 08 12:56 am Link

Model

Lauren Vickers

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Yes, that's the way they come nowadays...I miss the old times, give me a boy with muscles anyday rather than a walking coathanger...

I tend to feel the same way about chicks (in disliking the coathanger look I mean, not the muscles bit) but who am I to argue with high fashion?  sigh...

May 16 08 01:09 am Link

Model

BigC

Kissimmee, Florida, US

I like being skinny, just wish it could gain me the opportunity to do more runway..lol

May 16 08 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bad Karma Photo wrote:

Well , according to my friend Lebrone ( here on MM ) he had to lose 25 lbs of muscle in order to model

May 16 08 01:49 am Link

Model

CLAYMAC

BOISE, Idaho, US

hmm...am I a plus-sized male model? =P

May 16 08 01:50 am Link

Photographer

FOTOFACTUS

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Kendra McCan wrote:
well the german guy was my differential equations professor.

uhm, you took Diff Eq? What major?

May 16 08 01:52 am Link

Model

-loren-

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ummmm this=YUMMY to me.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071225/01/47709f7390588.jpg

Seriously. I think tall skinny male models are so f'n sexy. And pale too. mmmm. My boyfriend looks like that so I guess I'm biased. He refuses to model though, the lame.

May 16 08 01:57 am Link

Model

CLAYMAC

BOISE, Idaho, US

-loren- wrote:
Ummmm this=YUMMY to me.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071225/01/47709f7390588.jpg

Seriously. I think tall skinny male models are so f'n sexy. And pale too. mmmm. My boyfriend looks like that so I guess I'm biased. He refuses to model though, the lame.

Michael Freeby! big_smile

May 16 08 01:58 am Link

Model

-loren-

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rev  Arielle wrote:

Oh MAN. My philosophy teacher my freshman year was HOTT (yes with two t's). But he was like mid 50s. I'm weirdddd

May 16 08 01:59 am Link

Model

-loren-

Chicago, Illinois, US

Corey Lay wrote:
Michael Freeby! big_smile

Hells yes!

Michael Freeby AKA Loren's replacement boyfriend.

Hmmm they are both named Michael. Coincidence? I think not.

May 16 08 02:00 am Link

Model

naim

New York, New York, US

We must remember that none of us designs clothes...

So when it comes to runway they prefer like they do women to have all or as most of their men uniform in shape and height...

I had my good part of my modeling training come from a designer, stylist, and photographer...

I was taught about lines, symmetry, etc., when it comes to body types in relation to posing/posture and how it's applicable within the industry.  I wanted to get a little build and was told that it would be somethin that would work against me than help me.  So I decided not to do bulk and just be toned/slight cut.

Also remember now that you can still be skinny and be cut...

May 16 08 02:05 am Link

Model

-Jean-

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

A lot of male European models and very skinny and not particularly muscular.

Australia and America however are far more outdoorsy/sporty nations and prefer more muscular, built models to reflect our lifestyle.

Perhaps....

May 16 08 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Mister Graves

Portland, Oregon, US

NEW trend? As long as I've been looking at fashion magazines, ALL high fashion male models have been skinny and pale.

Skinny men make fancy clothes look more fancy.

May 16 08 04:05 am Link