Forums > General Industry > Nude Shoot with friends wife

Photographer

Sins of a Saint

View Park-Windsor Hills, California, US

A friend of mine just called me and ask if I would take some pics of his wife. I said sure, she is very pretty, great body. I asked what type and he said erotic nude. I said yes, but then I thought is this crossing the line. I am the godfather to there children. The artist in me says do it a shoot is a shoot, but the friend in me says this might be "To Much Info" about his wife. Did I mention he wants erotic nudes, not basic or implied nudes. Your thoughts.

Jun 14 08 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I'd take it as a compliment. They obviously feel comfortable with you, they've discussed it and feel you are the one to trust with those kind of sensitive shots. I'd be honored and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jun 14 08 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:
A friend of mine just called me and ask if I would take some pics of his wife. I said sure, she is very pretty, great body. I asked what type and he said erotic nude. I said yes, but then I thought is this crossing the line. I am the godfather to there children. The artist in me says do it a shoot is a shoot, but the friend in me says this might be "To Much Info" about his wife. Did I mention he wants erotic nudes, not basic or implied nudes. Your thoughts.

I guess my first thought is, how does SHE feel about it?

Jun 14 08 01:56 pm Link

Model

Miss Dion

London, England, United Kingdom

hmmm if you felt uncomfortable, then say something....if not, go ahead? perhaps the wife is exploring  that genre of modeling and felt comfortable being infront of a friend.

Jun 14 08 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sins of a Saint

View Park-Windsor Hills, California, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I'd take it as a compliment. They obviously feel comfortable with you, they've discussed it and feel you are the one to trust with those kind of sensitive shots. I'd be honored and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I do feel honored and I am going to do it, I just don't want any weirdness after the shoot.

Jun 14 08 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

been in this situation before...
My bestfriend wanted some shots of her hubby nude and some of them together doing "grown folk" things

I took it as a compliment...did the shots and they were both satisfied...

When friends are in front of my lens...the "professional" side of me clicks on...same with any other client...when its all done..friend side is back up and running..

but...I was totally comfortable doing this...if you aren't(which it sounds like you're not) then I would say pass it up and refer them to someone you like and trust..

Jun 14 08 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Fortenberry

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Keep it "G" on your part and everything should work out. After all it was their idea.

Jun 14 08 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

AcmeStudios

I wouldnt, unless its a friend you can afford to loose...

Just my opinion.

Jun 14 08 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

I do feel honored and I am going to do it, I just don't want any weirdness after the shoot.

well as long as you dont keep bringing up the shoot by saying something like "your wife's boobs were really perky that day" or something else similar(lol)...then there shouldn't be any wierdness.....

Jun 14 08 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

AHargrove

Alexandria, Virginia, US

As someone else stated, they obviously trust you to take the photos for them.  Go for it!  It's meant to be art, right?

Jun 14 08 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Atris Everson

Mansfield, Ohio, US

Why would there be weirdness. Just use a litttle mind control and refrain from shooting at full mask. It seems as though he asked you as a friend and no one crossed any lines. You should be all good!

Jun 14 08 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Dear Penthouse - I never believed those letters about "swingers" until I got this interesting invitation from some friends of mine. You see, I'm a photographer, and...

Jun 14 08 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Rybansky

Bayonne, New Jersey, US

don't do with friend wife you may lost him later !

Jun 14 08 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I can imagine that it would be just fine - I'd take it as a compliment that they trust you at that kind of level.

But, I can imagine that very clear communication ahead of time about what both of their goals are - would be key to success.

The only concern would be that this is kinda jumping into the (very) deep end of the pool, for a "friends wife - Inexperienced model"

VintageV

Jun 14 08 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

Maybe the weirdness won't come from you or her but from other people who find out you shot her nude in erotic poses....

Jun 14 08 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson Art

Shreveport, Louisiana, US

I've done this before, it wasn't a problem.

If you are SURE that you can produce your best work then they should be back to normal friends after the shoot. If you think you may make a mess of it then pass it on.

Terry

PS. I just checked your portfolio. Do the job big_smile

Jun 14 08 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting your friends wife nude. He trusts you and likely doesn't want to send his wife off to a stranger. I've shot quite a few of my friends' wives and g/f nudes. I've even shot a few of my best friends nude.

It doesn't get weird afterwards... often a good point for a laugh later on :-D

Jun 14 08 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lifetime Photos

Jackson, Mississippi, US

I don't see anything wrong with it if the wife approves and if you are going to give them exclusive rights to the images so that there are no questions about images still being out there in case they decide to destroy them later.

Model

Action Packed

Norwich, Connecticut, US

As long as there's no chance of you or her wanting an affair EVER.....go for it.

Model

Action Packed

Norwich, Connecticut, US

Sophistocles wrote:
Dear Penthouse - I never believed those letters about "swingers" until I got this interesting invitation from some friends of mine. You see, I'm a photographer, and...

HAHAHA big_smile

Jun 14 08 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

DevilsTowerMedia

Douglasville, Georgia, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

There will only be uncomfortableness or weirdness if _YOU_ let or make that happen.  Just be professional before, during, and after, and there won't be any problem.  Fact of the matter is, whether she is naked or dressed, she should feel no different in front of you.  She should be allowed to feel comfortable either way-- and _you_ control that by your demeanor.

IMHO

Jun 14 08 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

VillagerArt

Gallatin, Tennessee, US

I have gotten this offer too and it seemed intriguing at first but then I had second thoughts.  The thought that if others found out about it and how they would react was my biggest fear personally.  If that isn't an issue for you then...

Jun 14 08 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

If it were me in a similar situation, I would be fine with nudity, but I'd want to know what their idea of 'erotic' is. That is the component that could make things uncomfortable in the relationship going forward (not simple nudity).

John

Jun 14 08 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

In my mind, this boils down to business.

I would treat them like any other professional client. Nothing more - nothing less.

If I did that type of work, sure.

If I did not do that type of work, referral.

Done!

Jun 14 08 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

WENSON

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

That's crossing the line? Wait till they invite you in their bedroom when their relationship needs some "spice" wink

Jun 14 08 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

You're a photographer. They trust you. Work hard to give them what they want.

Jun 14 08 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

WENSON wrote:
That's crossing the line? Wait till they invite you in their bedroom when their relationship needs some "spice".

Why would you even think that would happen?

(I know you were being sarcastic - so was I.)

Jun 14 08 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Epic

Austin, Texas, US

Believe me... I am a total artist and don't have much problems with nudes... but.... if you're pausing then it's probably some internal conviction. To which case... you may justify your actions till your blue in the face if you step back and look at what you are doing... down the line ESSPEICALLY since you are a god father... is it really worth it? Probably not.

Jun 14 08 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

WENSON wrote:
That's crossing the line? Wait till they invite you in their bedroom when their relationship needs some "spice" wink

Experience? heehee

Jun 14 08 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Film or Digital Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

As for my personally you do have some amazing work and I feel the husband just wants to have you shoot her so he can have something to remember years later. But at the same time feel safe that the photographer will take pictures of his wife in a safe way where they will not feel sorry for it later. So personally if someone asks me a family member to take pictures of them I will feel ordered to do it. Either nudes, clothes or even pregnant images. I will be more upset if they don’t ask me. But I do get upset when I see my own brother pas for family portraits then to ask for my help.

WAIT how HOT is she?

Jun 14 08 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Edw

Satellite Beach, Florida, US

It sounds like you'll be doing this for free. If that's the case, don't do it. True friends honor your talent and are willing to pay for your services. If you're worried about losing the friendship, don't do it.

Like I say about weddings and the same applies here:

"Friends don't shoot friends. It only kills the relationship.".

Refer him to another pro photographer. Explore the realms of art with someone else and keep your peace.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear but you did ask for it.

Jun 14 08 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

Has it occurred to you to ask HER about it?

Jun 14 08 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Personally I see no problem. Just approach it the way you would any other shoot. I've done the same thing several times without problems eithr during or after the shoot. One important thing thou, even though the husband is a friend, make damned certain the wife wants to do it and is not just going long with what hubby wants.  Second, after the shoot, don't hang a big enlargement in your living room!!!!!!

Jun 14 08 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Film Cameras

Poland, Maine, US

I'm sure your friend wouldn't have asked you to do that if it wasn't cool with his wife.   A lot of people concerned what she thinks....

Anyway, I'd say do a good job, do it respectfully and down the road when the godchildren turn 18, see if you can shoot nudes of them, too.

Jun 14 08 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aberotica

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

Just by asking you they've opened up their trust to you. If you go ahead and do it, you're only agreeing to do what they've asked, but if you turn them down there will always be an awkwardeness there in future. That's what will destroy your friendship - so in my opinion, do it and try to remain as professional as possible.

Jun 14 08 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

OmarImages

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Go for it... and then share the images big_smile

Jun 14 08 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brad Arrowood

Bedford, Texas, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

nicely put... and i agreed.

Jun 14 08 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glam Garage II

Jonesboro, Arkansas, US

I have been in a similar situation and it all worked out fine. Just be a complete professional. They obviously trust you to be one or they would have asked someone else to do the shoot.

With the friends involved in my particular situation, we still are a good of friends now as we were before the shoot. Still socialize and all. They have even asked me to do another one on her next birthday.

Jun 14 08 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey McAlister

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Outlaw Imagery wrote:

Most "friends" fall pretty short of that much faith and trust. If you like these guys and believe their desires for such images to be honest and straightforward then why not. I've been in this situation... and it's a huge compliment to you that they want to trust you this much. A few questions??
1.) Are they releasing shared use of the images to you? No?
If not are you needing to be paid (because honestly, if you can't use the images what's the point of being all professional for your hot friends for free??)
2.) Does the male friend expect to end up in these erotic pictures... beer leads to heroine you know. You just need to go in armed for what could transpire.

If you like making erotic images then I say be open to such adventures when they arise as they don't arise often. have fun and good luck.

Jun 14 08 03:18 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

yeah i agree that you should feel flattered that your friend trusts you, 
but i would confirm the wifes private feelings

then i would do the shoot but not do it as erotic as he probably wants,  but back it down a little bit for everyones potential sanity should there ever be issues in the future. 

so sneak in alot of lingerie  leading to the erotic nudes,  shoot implieds of the very erotic stuff,  and show the semi erotic more playful stuff. 

then ask how he likes them?  if he really wants more then you can do that,  otherwise he will probably be thrilled and if you did shoot again it would be less awkward than the first shoot at least smile

best of luck

Jun 14 08 03:21 pm Link