Forums > Model Colloquy > Disabled models, what do you think of this?

Photographer

Danny DD

Baarle-Hertog, Antwerp, Belgium

Personally I always try to show a model as beautiful as he/she is.  Don't care if she is not tall enough or too big or whatever.  Nobody is perfect, and that's part of the challenge, showing that precisely that imperfection has innate beauty.  Keep up the good work, girl!  PS: I don't mind traveling wink

Feb 18 11 02:04 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands

ok well that's good!

Feb 18 11 02:05 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

Karl Johnston wrote:

It doesn't make a difference to me if the model is disabled. Client is a client.

I didn't read the other pages, just the first post.

Karl Johnston

www.karljohnston.com

love your profilepic!

Feb 24 11 03:09 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

what about disability and nudity, do you feel comfortable with that?

Apr 13 11 01:46 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Miss Marianna wrote:
what about disability and nudity, do you feel comfortable with that?

depends on the theme, the disability and the beauty of the model...

Apr 13 11 04:54 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

explain ...

Apr 13 11 05:01 am Link

Model

name changed

London, England, United Kingdom

Mia Mali wrote:
I hate to be a debbie downer, but it's got to be said. don't let your disability stop you from modelling, but as I would say to any short, chubby, or any other model asking the same question, don't count on modeling to be a full time career. I've had to face the music since I'm a short model. basically, enjoy modeling, but have a "real" job, it's what I do.

+1

Apr 13 11 05:06 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

well, i do, but that's not the point...

Apr 13 11 05:26 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Miss Marianna wrote:
explain ...

I don't know what to explain. certain models fit certain ideas. disabled models can't do everything. but that's okay, because so can blondes. or brunettes. or people with pubic hair, or people without pubic hair, or big boobs or small boobs...

if it's a good idea, and it's the right model, then it will be a nice image. But you can't do just any random nude shoot with just any random model, disabled or not.

there are plenty of "able" models with terrible nude pics, and I'm sure you can make very nice images with disabled models too. But it depends on the disability, the beauty of the model, and what the shoot is about...

Apr 13 11 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Robert Sawin

Carlsbad, California, US

I am hard of hearing and learning disabled and people and yes even my parents often times said I can't do the work I do.  well I am still doing my work and never had a real complant about the quality or caliber of my work. that said there are certain obvious disabilities that can limate a persons ability to do some things.  like a paraplegic.  obviously they can not walk on there own.  or an amputee.  but non the less there is a market for people with disabilities and it may not be big but it exist.

Apr 13 11 06:29 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

it must get bigger!

Apr 13 11 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Miss Marianna wrote:
so everyone can be a model? ofcourse when you have the looks....

In my opinion, it's not even about looks...it's character.  If intensity/purpose can be delivered, he or she is a great subject.

Apr 13 11 06:34 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

i agree!

Apr 13 11 06:56 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

not any post here while I was away??? my god!

Jun 12 11 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Miss Marianna wrote:
not any post here while I was away??? my god!

What disability did you have in mind?

Jun 12 11 08:23 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

all disabilities.

Jun 13 11 04:46 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

so?

Jun 22 11 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Miss Marianna wrote:
all disabilities.

That's ridiculous.

Being legally blind is a disability.  Being quadriplegic is also a disability.

In the realm of modeling, one is not NEARLY the hurdle as the other.

Jun 22 11 07:59 am Link

Model

Kitana

The underlying job of a 'model' is to 'sell' an item of clothing etc. The designer/photographer picks the 'type' of model he or she sees fit to best represent them, whether male/female, short/tall, fluctuating weight or disabilities.

Your port is great, you're a real inspiration smile

Jun 22 11 08:09 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

Good Egg Productions wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Being legally blind is a disability.  Being quadriplegic is also a disability.

In the realm of modeling, one is not NEARLY the hurdle as the other.

that was not what i ment, sorry!

Jun 22 11 08:25 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

Jewel Alias wrote:
The underlying job of a 'model' is to 'sell' an item of clothing etc. The designer/photographer picks the 'type' of model he or she sees fit to best represent them, whether male/female, short/tall, fluctuating weight or disabilities.

Your port is great, you're a real inspiration smile

thanks!

Jun 22 11 08:26 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

nothing to share here anymore???

Aug 30 11 04:14 am Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Fifi wrote:
I'm not understanding the question. Are you asking if disabled models can model? If so, I will say yes. That's like asking if a short person can model.

Summed up perfectly.

Aug 30 11 05:02 am Link

Photographer

joephotonyc

Phoenix, Arizona, US

One model in my port is disabled.
Tell me which one it is ..

My mother was a paraplegic, never stopped her from being the best mum I ever had.
Her disability became my greatest strength.
She never complained about anything, maybe that's  a real object lesson for all the able bodied folks out there.

People love to use labels, switch the labels from one can of food to another can of food , nothing inside changes, just the perception changes not the ultimate truth of the contents.

Aug 30 11 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Jack Heniford

York, South Carolina, US

JoJo wrote:
I don’t see a disabled model, I see a model in a wheelchair. To me there is a major difference.

A disabled car is one sitting at the side of the road.

You are not sitting at the side of life, you are living it. Go for it!

Amen. My full-time wheelchair usage has  nothing to do with my photographic ability   or the lack thereof.  See me in mine on my port.

Aug 30 11 05:41 am Link

Model

Skye Sabrina Skullface

Wichita Falls, Texas, US

I think that as long as you put your mind to it and bust your tail, it's entirely possible. I'm legally blind and have to do almost off of my work without glasses (or contacts, I can't afford them atm). There have been numerous models with hearing impairments, eye problems, bone diseases, etc. As long as there is a will there is a way.
Just because some of them never make full time careers of it doesn't mean they aren't models.

Aug 30 11 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Silver Image Photograph

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

C s p i n e wrote:

Because your appearance makes most people uncomfortable.

The fact that the appearance of a disabled person makes people uncomfortable is even more reason to photograph them and feature their images anywhere you can and tell their stories!

I believe that so much "uncomfortable" is there because of a lack of knowledge.  I work a great deal photographing children with special needs and have several of these wonderful children in my portfolio that I carry with me (on my iPad).  I will be sharing work with someone and they see these children and make comment about sadness and pity.  I put a stop to that quick and usually point out that you only feel that way because you have not had the chance to get to know they heart of such a child. 

The same is true with the adults that I have worked with that have disabilities, people see them and take pity.  Well, get to know them--maybe they can not walk, maybe they can not talk, maybe they can not see, but inside, they are everything if not more then you could ever imagine.

Sep 05 11 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

OpenMinds

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Periola wrote:
I think it's a great idea!  Modeling is about showcasing the beauty of a person, and it's great you want to do it.  Power to you.

To be fair, and honest...  modeling is about showing the physical beauty of the person, or clothes, or toothpaste, or car, whatever.  Modeling is NOT about "inner beauty" or personality in any way, shape or form.  Its visual, plain and simple.
IF one can meet the visual and physical requirements of the job, fabulous.  If not, thems the apples.

Sep 05 11 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

You're such a pragmatic and realistic dude, you know that?  Sometimes, though, it's just what a thread needs.

Sep 05 11 09:58 pm Link

Model

Miss Marianna

OpenMinds wrote:

To be fair, and honest...  modeling is about showing the physical beauty of the person, or clothes, or toothpaste, or car, whatever.  Modeling is NOT about "inner beauty" or personality in any way, shape or form.  Its visual, plain and simple.
IF one can meet the visual and physical requirements of the job, fabulous.  If not, thems the apples.

now u are saying that people with a disability can't show their physical beauty..., right?

Feb 19 12 08:33 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Miss Marianna wrote:
now u are saying that people with a disability can't show their physical beauty..., right?

If the disabled person is physically beautiful they can: if not - and unfortunately this is judged by the conventions of the day, rather than any other criteria, however much we'd like it to be otherwise - then no...

FYI My last shoot was with a model who can barely walk unaided and has very limited movement in her upper body, but we managed OK...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6903618865_df009aa5b1_z.jpg

Feb 19 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

OpenMinds wrote:

Ironic photographer's name is ironic.

Feb 19 12 10:02 am Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

RKD Photographic wrote:
If the disabled person is physically beautiful they can: if not - and unfortunately this is judged by the conventions of the day, rather than any other criteria, however much we'd like it to be otherwise - then no...

FYI My last shoot was with a model who can barely walk unaided and has very limited movement in her upper body, but we managed OK...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6903618865_df009aa5b1_z.jpg

beautiful, thank you to people like you

Feb 19 12 10:13 am Link

Model

AellaGirl

Austin, Texas, US

Gotta agree with OpenMinds here... My girlfriend is totally hot, but she doesn't have the look to become a model, while her roommate does. I recommended the roommate try modeling, but not my girlfriend.

Modeling has nothing to do with inner beauty - it is 100% how you look on the outside. This is incredibly shallow, but it's true. So if you happen to get stuck with unappealing genes or some sort of bodily imperfection, then you're automatically excluded from high-end modeling that calls for perfection.
Just like how my brain cannot for the life of it handle advanced mathematical concepts... I am never ever going to be able to become a calculus professor. That is just not going to happen. And that would have been /awesome./

Life isn't fair.

Feb 19 12 10:34 am Link

Model

Debbie van der Putten

Helmond, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

OpenMinds wrote:

True! As a disabled model myself represented by agencies in London, New York and Toronto Canada. I'm quite expierenced and know I don't have to go to castings were the ask for minimum 5,8" tall size 0 girls for high end catwalkshow. Because I'm 5,6" and I'll look silly inbetween those beautiful tall girls, but When they need someone any size or height for art projects, commercial work or diversity shows or just to shock in the world of fashion I know I'll book the job!
Unless I have to wear something with sleeves because of my missing arm you can't expect them to change their products because of my disability but the could consider giving me a beautiful strapless dress and I'll rock it! Thank god there is a little change going on and step by step there are more pluzsize, petit and models of colour on the catwalk and YES also for disabled models there are some oppurtunity's ofcourse we are still making babysteps.
I believe the fashionworld should be more openminded for plusize, petit and disabled models but I also believe we should take a look at ourselfs and the products we want to sell to sse if its a good match and we are able to sell the product in the right way

Feb 25 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

I've shot Kelly Knox (the model that went on to win BBCs Britain's Missing Next Top Model) a couple of times for Models of Diversity it London, you should check them out on facebook.

Feb 25 12 06:31 pm Link

Model

Debbie van der Putten

Helmond, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Hi everyone,

For the models of diversity campaign I'm looking for disabled models all over the world that worked proffesionally for designers, high/main street fashion houses or magazines
Please sent me your portfolio and stats at [email protected]

Love to hear from you!

Love xo

May 03 12 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Photo Kyle

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Wow, I am glad that this thread has gone on for so long. All the models that have posted in here rock, and I would love to shoot with any of them!

Jul 30 12 02:49 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I'm a disabled vet as well as a model.  My issues won't hinder my ability to be in front of a camera.

Jul 30 12 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

digitalfrog wrote:
You have to watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/missingmodel/

It's a 7 or so TV serie, and it can be downloaded from the net. Don't ask me how.

I've had the pleasure of shooting Kelly Knox, the winner of Britain's Missing Top model. It was a fun shoot.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100330/04/4bb1dba2c2368_m.jpg

Jul 30 12 06:02 pm Link