Forums > Model Colloquy > Disabled models, what do you think of this?

Makeup Artist

Julie Mueller

i just want to say GO YOU! it's inspiring and great to see you not letting your disability get you down or keep you from living your dreams!

Oct 12 08 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Bethany Souza

Pensacola, Florida, US

You are going to get faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less work than a plus size model.
I wouldnt hold your breath.

Oct 12 08 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Orson Kent

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

To me, the only question I'd have (bear in mind that this is from a relatively inexperienced photog) is whether we play up the disability and make it a feature of the shoot in some way, or shoot in such a way that it's simply irrelevant.

I'd like to try both ways (and any other way that can be suggested), personally.

Oct 12 08 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Studio-X

Detroit, Michigan, US

Meghan Anne Gerhart wrote:
I signed up here as a "photoshop wizard" but I also do some modeling and photography. I have both mental and physical disabilities and, whenever I got a "real" modeling offer, it would break my heart to say no (I could barely leave the house for a few years). My mental health is starting to improve, and I hope it continues to do so, and my physical health is dubious as always, but I'm hopeful. I love retouching photos but one day I'd like a real photographer to photograph me instead of having to take self-portraits. I think it's wonderful that there are photographers out there that are willing to work with disabled models. It's a little ray of hope. smile (My first post! Nice to meet you all!)

not only are there photogs out there who are willing to work with disabled models, there are those of us who specifically want to work with people who are non-ordinary. so far i have shot a female amputee with a huge and vibrant personality and a lust for hot pink, a girl scarred across her face from a dog attack, a gent born with spinal bifida and no legs (hands down one of the coolest people i have ever met,) and someone born with legs turned inward enough to need surgery/casts/corrective shoes as an infant/child (self portraits!) i find many people to be over-ordinary, and therefore "uniqueness disabled." i find variations in the human form and circumstance fascinating and often beautiful, and find people who have had to work harder in life better company. i take pride in all that's different about me, and enjoy it when people can embrace human variety.

not all modeling has to be for the fashion industry.

Oct 12 08 03:56 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Oct 12 08 05:05 am Link

Model

Missy Fishie

Kirkland, Washington, US

My "disabilities" are invisible, but I haven't let them stop me from trying new things.

There's a niche for everything.  Even models with obvious visible disabilities can and have made excellent photos.

Oct 12 08 05:25 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

I think anyone can have a go at modeling. I think it's great when people realize they can still achieve their dreams with a disability. It's very inspiring smile

I too have 'invisible' disabilities of my own, I find modeling helps.

Oct 12 08 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Scott O Bryan Photo

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Miss Fifi-Alexis wrote:

Exactly... just make your limitations known before the shoot. I can't stand/walk for long periods of time. I make sure the photographer knows what I can and cannot do long before we shoot. And, I also make it known that my disability is a visible one. Luckily, most photographers don't mind it at all, and a few have even wanted to photograph it.

I view my disability like I view my height.... there's not much I can do about it, but I won't let it stop me from doing what I want

I have to agree with Fifi here with the bolded quote  because I have CP or cerebral palsy and  I use a cane to get around & my speech is sometimes hard to understand when I get in hurry but it is what it is I can't change it but I haven't let it stop me from being active in sports photography all day long or shooting weddings. People sometimes act surprised when I'm moving around to get the shots I want but to me I don't think about I just do it I don't know any different from the able  body person's point view. I just move a bit slower smile So to the OP I say go for it follow your desire to model, any good photographer will find a way to get good shots and bring out your best features. Photographers usually like challenges  and love to shoot whenever we have a willing model. Good Luck

Oct 12 08 08:37 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

BLS Imaging wrote:
I wouldnt hold your breath.

Wow.... does it hurt to have your head that far up your ass?

neutral

Oct 12 08 01:26 pm Link

Model

Alicia_NudeModel

MOORESTOWN, New Jersey, US

My disability is invisible to the naked eye, but it still has the potential to hold me back.... but I just don't let it.

Oct 12 08 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Holgart

San Luis Obispo, California, US

Just Cherry wrote:
My disability is invisible to the naked eye, but it still has the potential to hold me back.... but I just don't let it.

You didn't seem too disabled when we walked 10 miles through the city wink

Oct 12 08 01:34 pm Link

Model

Alicia_NudeModel

MOORESTOWN, New Jersey, US

Will Headley wrote:

You didn't seem too disabled when we walked 10 miles through the city wink

Thats because it's my heart thats disabled!!  tongue

Oct 12 08 02:52 pm Link

Model

Miss Marianna

Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands

i'm so happy with all these posts, it's so good to see that people are so strong, etc.

Oct 12 08 05:19 pm Link

Model

CC Marie

Santa Barbara, California, US

Awesome Photos wrote:
The female in the first image on my profile is a quadroplegic model. Isn't this just beautiful? Don't let any disabilities deprive you of your dream. Set your goals high and strive to achieve them.

heyyyy! thats me =] thanks Jon. u guys just wat till u see the photos we took sunday! dont let anything stand between u and your dream!

Oct 14 08 09:26 pm Link

Model

CC Marie

Gary Blanchette wrote:
Being in a wheelchair myself, I can tell you that even being able to discuss the topic openly with others on MM is liberating for the OP. I know personally if I'm left alone with my thoughts I at times become very discouraged. It's not until I can hear (read) all of the positive support that I climb back on my horse and begin contacting Models again.

Bravo to the OP!

i def agree! i too am in a wheelchair and t times i can be very discouraged. i feel very excited to have stumbled across this thread. thank you.

Oct 14 08 10:03 pm Link

Model

CC Marie

also... has anybody heard of Ellen Stohl? shes a quadraplegic who posed for playboy! im so jealous

Oct 14 08 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Anna Inez

Columbus, Ohio, US

Miss Marianna wrote:
Me as a disabled model is curious about the opinion from the members of Model Mayhem about this... Let's discuss this subject!

a very good friend of mine..has MD..we did a shot..and he kicked ass..nuff said

Oct 14 08 10:20 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

CC Marie wrote:
also... has anybody heard of Ellen Stohl? shes a quadraplegic who posed for playboy! im so jealous

Ooh... I shall have to look her up. big_smile

Oct 14 08 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Wow, there's alot of sugar coated horse shit in here. Being gimpy makes most everything a bazillion times harder. Alot of hopeful models are crushed by rejection and have their self esteem ripped apart by cruel standards and expectations. You'll get this much much more than the average model. You'll experience harshness that would make most women slit their wrists. But if you succeed..... you'll treasure that success forever.

Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

Oct 15 08 12:44 am Link

Model

Mia Mali

Jen Marie Purnell wrote:

Not necessarily true. I'm 5'3 and modeling has been my sole source of income ever since I sucessfully got myself fired from a shit job 4 months ago.

There really are no limits to what you can do if you have realistic expectations, can network and self manage well and are located in an area with a good market for what you do.

To clarify, I mean, don't expect to make it mainstream and make as much money as you would with something else. At the moment and for a while, modeling has also been my main source of income, but I will credit that to being extremely lucky and not on something that can just happen because you want it to.
The whole point, which you touched on, is to be realistic. Supermodels will still be tall, able bodied, and very thin.
Does that make short people not good models? No. Does that make disabled models bad models? No. Does that make chubby girls bad models? Not at all.
Sometimes we make better models than some of the "typical" models, but their chances of having a career are much higher.
(I'm talking probability, of course there's the rarity, like you and I who are shorties that somehow inked out a living modeling.)
It's just realistic to say that I'm never going to make the cover of Victoria's Secret. It would be awesome, but I'll accept the industry is not going to change for me.

Oct 15 08 01:01 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Cspine wrote:
Wow, there's alot of sugar coated horse shit in here. Being gimpy makes most everything a bazillion times harder. Alot of hopeful models are crushed by rejection and have their self esteem ripped apart by cruel standards and expectations. You'll get this much much more than the average model. You'll experience harshness that would make most women slit their wrists. But if you succeed..... you'll treasure that success forever.

Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

Wow.... could you not use the word "gimpy"?

And, no one is saying it's going to be easy. Of course it's going to be hard, but she still has a chance.

Oct 15 08 01:08 am Link

Model

Beccalette Synthetic

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

Miss Fifi-Alexis wrote:

Wow.... could you not use the word "gimpy"?

And, no one is saying it's going to be easy. Of course it's going to be hard, but she still has a chance.

Agreed.

Oct 15 08 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm gimpy... I'm offended by 'disabled' or even worse 'handicapped'.

Oct 15 08 04:40 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

BLS Imaging wrote:

neutral

Exactly what I was thinking - give you odds that she never even looked at the OP's port - DUH!!!

Oct 15 08 04:44 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Miss Fifi-Alexis wrote:

The whole point is that the OP is actually doing something – she’s going out and getting the door-knocking done, which is a hell of an awful lot more than half the damn models on this site do.

The OP has the figurative ‘balls’ to do something. Bravo!

To Marianna (the OP):
Mijn hoed is weg aan u. Met uw bepaling kunt u om het even wat doen. Ik ben zo trots van u!

Oct 15 08 04:54 pm Link

Model

Miss Marianna

JoJo Suicide wrote:

The whole point is that the OP is actually doing something – she’s going out and getting the door-knocking done, which is a hell of an awful lot more than half the damn models on this site do.

To Marianna (the OP):
Mijn hoed is weg aan u. Met uw bepaling kunt u om het even wat doen. Ik ben zo trots van u!

thank you! i'm just trying to get people thinking about this...

the modellingworld is not going to change ofcourse, but they can think about giving other people a chance too. and really, i don't want to be a fashion model, cause you must have a certain lifestyle for that which i can't live.

Oct 15 08 05:34 pm Link

Model

Miss Marianna

AnnaInez Photography wrote:

a very good friend of mine..has MD..we did a shot..and he kicked ass..nuff said

do you have the picture online? i love to see it!

Oct 15 08 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Your give your height as "0" and your weight as "10," and omit any clue as to your stats or what the physical limitation is. Is it possible some potential photographers are deterred because they perceive lack of professionalism?

Oct 15 08 06:24 pm Link

Model

SouthernWoman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

i am a disabled model...most people don't know, and if they notice and ask i tell them about it. only in the right leg, but that is besides the point.

Oct 15 08 06:30 pm Link

Model

Miss Marianna

glamour pics wrote:
Your give your height as "0" and your weight as "10," and omit any clue as to your stats or what the physical limitation is. Is it possible some potential photographers are deterred because they perceive lack of professionalism?

the reason why i didn't fill that in is because those sizes are different from dutch sizes. my height is 1.70, but how do i fill that in there???? the same with my shoesize...

Oct 18 08 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Gary Blanchette wrote:
Being in a wheelchair myself, I can tell you that even being able to discuss the topic openly with others on MM is liberating for the OP. I know personally if I'm left alone with my thoughts I at times become very discouraged. It's not until I can hear (read) all of the positive support that I climb back on my horse and begin contacting Models again.

Bravo to the OP!

CC Marie wrote:
i def agree! i too am in a wheelchair and t times i can be very discouraged. i feel very excited to have stumbled across this thread. thank you.

We're approximately 200 miles apart. sad

I would really like to work with you someday... smile

Oct 18 08 10:23 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

with who?

Oct 18 08 10:31 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Yes. I have admired this woman for years:

18+ https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=6004297

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080213/15/47b350262cb37_m.jpg

Oct 18 08 10:44 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

San Ramon, California, US

Like anyone else. Certain ways you could not be shot and certains way you could be shot that few others ever could. Hell girl, you let nothing stop you and put people with excuses to shame. I'd find the photographer that could not find a way to capture that strength and beauty the one who is disabled.

Oct 18 08 10:49 am Link

Model

Miss Marianna

yeah! that's a good answer!

Oct 18 08 10:54 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:

To Marianna (the OP):

Miss Marianna wrote:
thank you! i'm just trying to get people thinking about this...

the modellingworld is not going to change ofcourse, but they can think about giving other people a chance too. and really, i don't want to be a fashion model, cause you must have a certain lifestyle for that which i can't live.

The modeling world is changing slowly. Many countries such as Canada have instituted a type of ‘truth in advertising’ laws whereby if a model is to be shown in a wheelchair for something like a Sears, Mark’s & Spencer’s or Benetton advertisement then a model in a wheelchair should be used if at all possible.

I’m not too sure how well enforced these guidelines/laws are but it is at least a step in the right direction.

Oct 18 08 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ability always trumps disability. If somebody has the ability to do a given shoot, who cares about the things the person cannot do?

There are lots of things I can't do, what with the various physical, mental and other limitations I have. (Please note: We all have limitations.) When I was recovering from surgery this year, I needed lots of help to do a shoot with Bobbii, who was coming through from Australia. Similarly, when I shot with Alex, we had her helper so we could move her around.

I'm looking at several "different" models who have contacted me, sort of trying to dream up stuff that would work with them. If/when I do, I'll ask if we can shoot. If I don't, I'd say it's my lack of imagination that limited me.

Of course, the art world is all about reaching out and including/excluding people, things and approaches. Choices create art. So, sometimes I'll need a very fit model, other times I won't.

In the larger world, there are agencies that generate work for models with physical and other challenges. It's a niche, but obviously a significant one.

BTW, some of my favorite folks have some serious physical limitations. Yet, they don't think of themselves as disabled or handicapped. They're not stupid about it, but they understand that getting out and doing what they can is far more liberating than sitting or lying around and waiting to die.

So, for the OP.... Good for you. It's great to see somebody with a will to excel at something. You seem to have a good sense of what you can and cannot do.

Oct 18 08 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Some of my favorite shots that I have ever done have been of a quadriplegic model - both in and out of her chair:

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071227/22/47746f006bd02_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071227/22/47746f52644da_m.jpg

Oct 18 08 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Miss Fifi-Alexis wrote:

neutral

Right on

Oct 18 08 11:19 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

glamour pics wrote:

Miss Marianna wrote:
the reason why i didn't fill that in is because those sizes are different from dutch sizes. my height is 1.70, but how do i fill that in there???? the same with my shoesize...

To help you translate EU measurements into USA measurements
http://www.tyzo.com/tools/metric.html

For shoe sizes:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothin … womens.htm

Oct 18 08 11:20 am Link