Forums > Photography Talk > Penthouse vs. Playboy

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

I have a potential modeling gig later this month for "up to Penthouse style nudes" and I'm just wondering what that entails. I understand that Playboy nudes are considered soft-porn, generally closed legs. What can I expect if I were to take this job?

Thank you! I apologize if this is a repeat subject.

Tina Berry

Aug 07 08 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Central Florida Glamour

Posts: 39

Orlando, Florida, US

Penthouse nudes involve open legs but no toys or pink spreads.

Aug 07 08 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Posts: 4159

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well most of what I have seen Penthouse are open leg and pink shots. 

Even playboy does open leg shots.

So hope this helps. bs

Aug 07 08 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Posts: 4159

Deming, New Mexico, US

Juan E Rivera wrote:
Penthouse nudes involve open legs but no toys or pink spreads.

I have seen all kinds of Pink on Penthouse.  Unless they have changed in the last 10 years since I last saw one. bs

Aug 07 08 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Womack Photo KCMO

Posts: 2348

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Playboy is showing much more lip than they used to...thank God. Penthouse has had a weird last few years; you never know what direction they are heading.

Aug 07 08 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

dave wright phx

Posts: 13509

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tina Berry wrote:
I have a potential modeling gig later this month for "up to Penthouse style nudes" and I'm just wondering what that entails. I understand that Playboy nudes are considered soft-porn, generally closed legs. What can I expect if I were to take this job?

Thank you! I apologize if this is a repeat subject.

Tina Berry

Radical idea: Why don't you ask the photographer?

Aug 07 08 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Posts: 170

Chicago, Illinois, US

Pinks for sure in Penthouse.  They have been known to use toys as well...

Aug 07 08 10:32 pm Link

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

Dave Wright Photo SF wrote:
Radical idea: Why don't you ask the photographer?

Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal... and instead of sounding inexperienced to the person who contacted me about it... I was going to ask the forum so I could have a better understanding of what I was getting myself into... but I think it will end in me asking the person who contacted me because there are a lot of mixed (though still helpful) ideas about Penthouse style nudes.

Aug 07 08 10:36 pm Link

Model

Hella Noella

Posts: 822

Santa Cruz, California, US

Tina Berry wrote:
Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal... and instead of sounding inexperienced to the person who contacted me about it... I was going to ask the forum so I could have a better understanding of what I was getting myself into... but I think it will end in me asking the person who contacted me because there are a lot of mixed (though still helpful) ideas about Penthouse style nudes.

you don't have nudes in your port, maybe you should wait on doing something like this until you've done a nude set. especially since it sounds more like erotic nude than art nude. if you regret it, 15 different photographers will have nudie pics of you.(disregard if you've shot nudes)

Aug 07 08 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Posts: 7771

Lubbock, Texas, US

Tina Berry wrote:

Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal...

They'll want to see your kidneys.

Aug 07 08 10:45 pm Link

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

hella noella wrote:
you don't have nudes in your port, maybe you should wait on doing something like this until you've done a nude set. especially since it sounds more like erotic nude than art nude. if you regret it, 15 different photographers will have nudie pics of you.(disregard if you've shot nudes)

Well, it's not something I've done before, but something I'm preparing myself to do. I have an artistic nude shoot this weekend, and other Playboy style nude shoots the following weeks before this one comes up.

In fact, I could use any sort of advice related to nude modeling at this point!

Aug 07 08 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Image

Posts: 1461

East Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Buy a “Penthouse” magazine and see it by yourself.

Aug 07 08 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Piscis Noctis

Posts: 11014

Santa Clara, California, US

if I recall correctly, penthouse has published (on their online version) penetration shots, so I guess Penthouse = up to penetration + toys + pink for sure?
Or so I heard... I didn't even know about that magazine two secs ago =P

Aug 07 08 10:50 pm Link

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Posts: 1857

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tina Berry wrote:

Well, it's not something I've done before, but something I'm preparing myself to do. I have an artistic nude shoot this weekend, and other Playboy style nude shoots the following weeks before this one comes up.

In fact, I could use any sort of advice related to nude modeling at this point!

smile good luck with your upcoming shoots!

Aug 07 08 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

dave wright phx

Posts: 13509

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Dave Wright Photo SF wrote:
Radical idea: Why don't you ask the photographer?

Tina Berry wrote:
Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal... and instead of sounding inexperienced to the person who contacted me about it... I was going to ask the forum so I could have a better understanding of what I was getting myself into... but I think it will end in me asking the person who contacted me because there are a lot of mixed (though still helpful) ideas about Penthouse style nudes.

I don't think asking for clarification about a job description is a sign of inexperience at all. A clear, written description of the job entails is more "professional" than a 2-word general idea of the sort of thing you'd maybe be asked to do.

Aug 07 08 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Marco Aureliani

Posts: 719

Reggio nell'Emilia, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

hella noella wrote:

you don't have nudes in your port, maybe you should wait on doing something like this until you've done a nude set. especially since it sounds more like erotic nude than art nude. if you regret it, 15 different photographers will have nudie pics of you.(disregard if you've shot nudes)

Wise words...

Aug 07 08 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Perreault

Posts: 90

Socorro, New Mexico, US

While it has been a while since I've looked at either Playboy or Penthouse, I do recall that in one of the last Penthouse magazines that I had there was a couple layout that included full penetration - not the standard "tease" photos that they would normally run.

Aug 07 08 10:58 pm Link

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

Dave Wright Photo SF wrote:
I don't think asking for clarification about a job description is a sign of inexperience at all. A clear, written description of the job entails is more "professional" than a 2-word general idea of the sort of thing you'd maybe be asked to do.

This is very true, and I do intend on finding out exactly what the job will entail... I was just looking for a general idea... because I really don't have any idea at all about this subject.

Aug 07 08 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Posts: 1431

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Dear your not ready. The old Penthouse had penetration, boys, girls, toys, they also were famous for urination.They have since changed their ways but they are still a bit harder than you've shown on your profile.

Aug 07 08 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Posts: 30064

Ocala, Florida, US

Tony Perreault wrote:
While it has been a while since I've looked at either Playboy or Penthouse, I do recall that in one of the last Penthouse magazines that I had there was a couple layout that included full penetration - not the standard "tease" photos that they would normally run.

That used to be......

Last year I had heard about the "new" Penthouse and how great the photography was. Since the last issue I saw had that full penetration I wondered what they did to improve the magazine.

It sucked! A total waste of EIGHT BUCKS!!!!.....the photography was lame, unimaginative and I've seem better here on MM....BTW.more penetration or really wide open shots....not that I consider that a requirement but the whole thing was just so boooorrrringgg!

From what I understand when it was sold the new owners wanted to bring more into the "mainstream"...whatever that means????

Aug 07 08 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Posts: 8841

Delphos, Ohio, US

Tina Berry wrote:
I have a potential modeling gig later this month for "up to Penthouse style nudes" and I'm just wondering what that entails. I understand that Playboy nudes are considered soft-porn, generally closed legs. What can I expect if I were to take this job?

Judging by the images in your port, are you sure you're ready for "Penthouse style" nudes?

Aug 07 08 11:53 pm Link

Model

Rachel Mullins

Posts: 98

Los Angeles, California, US

I have shot penthouse filler and Cover (yesterday) I personaly know Earl Miller (most published PH photog in there history) PENTHOUSE tyle is SPREAD pink (if actuly for the mag someitmes toys are used) Playboy is all closed leg, no clit, ect
Anyother questions let me know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aug 07 08 11:58 pm Link

Model

Rachel Mullins

Posts: 98

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm also friends with Arny Freytag (cheif PlayBoy photog for 25 years) and Josh Ryan (Playboy special editions)  I know what I'm talking about

Aug 08 08 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Posts: 1431

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Name dropping are we? The bottom line is she's not ready. Plus it's not Penthouse she's modeling for. But someone wanting her to do "Penthouse style". And that in their minds could mean anything. If your really interested ask to see examples of their work and go from there.

Aug 08 08 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Posts: 8494

Los Angeles, California, US

Having shot for both magazines for many years, I'd like to point out that there have been some major changes in the last 3 years.

Playboy now shows more pink than Penthouse.

Penthouse has become more tame than most adult magazines while Playboy has become more explicit.

Just go to the magazine stands and compare both . . . you will be surprised.

Penthouse is not what you remember from years ago.

KM

Aug 08 08 12:54 am Link

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

Imageri by Tim Davis wrote:
Name dropping are we? The bottom line is she's not ready. Plus it's not Penthouse she's modeling for. But someone wanting her to do "Penthouse style". And that in their minds could mean anything. If your really interested ask to see examples of their work and go from there.

What makes me so unready?

I have sex.

I have pictures taken of me.

You combine the two. Not necessarily having sex, but being nude.

What would I need to be ready for?

Aug 08 08 12:54 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

Posts: 1196

San Diego, California, US

hustler = XXX (sex with others or inanimate objects)
penthouse = X (nudes with close ups of privates)
playboy = R (nudes with no close up of privates)
maxim = PG13 (no nudity at all)

hope that helps lol

and oh yeah... i read that you are from san diego.

if you ever um... want to do penthouse spreads for tfp, let me know lol

Aug 08 08 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Posts: 8494

Los Angeles, California, US

Rachel Mullins wrote:
I have shot penthouse filler and Cover (yesterday) I personaly know Earl Miller (most published PH photog in there history) PENTHOUSE tyle is SPREAD pink (if actuly for the mag someitmes toys are used) Playboy is all closed leg, no clit, ect
Anyother questions let me know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Earl Miller does not shoot for Penthouse anymore. Since the new ownership took over a few years ago, they do not publish his work. Nothing they publish is as explicit as what he shoots.

KM

P.S. . . . Earl and I have been good friends for many years.

Aug 08 08 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Posts: 3587

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst"

Aug 08 08 01:03 am Link

Photographer

( ANT ) Mgaphoto

Posts: 4980

San Diego, California, US

Alexander Image wrote:
Buy a “Penthouse” magazine and see it by yourself.

lol my thought right away... not hard to do big_smile

Aug 08 08 01:06 am Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Posts: 4989

Wichita, Kansas, US

If models and photographers talked about this stuff with each other half as much as they talk about it with outsiders here in these forums, these threads wouldnt even exist.

Here is a thought...  "Penthouse style,... interesting, what exactly does that mean to you?"

Aug 08 08 01:09 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

Posts: 1196

San Diego, California, US

penthouse magazine did change their style... but they will always be known for what they were.

that's like a pornstar trying to go straight and get a real job... she WILL always be known as THE PORNSTAR.

Aug 08 08 01:09 am Link

Model

Tina Berry

Posts: 326

Lake San Marcos, California, US

CGI Images wrote:
If models and photographers talked about this stuff with each other half as much as they talk about it with outsiders here in these forums, these threads wouldnt even exist.

Here is a thought...  "Penthouse style,... interesting, what exactly does that mean to you?"

As a matter of fact, I have sent them a message asking just that. I was just looking to the forums for a little insight while I wait for a reply.

Aug 08 08 01:36 am Link

Photographer

( ANT ) Mgaphoto

Posts: 4980

San Diego, California, US

afterdarc studios wrote:
penthouse magazine did change their style... but they will always be known for what they were.

that's like a pornstar trying to go straight and get a real job... she WILL always be known as THE PORNSTAR.

dude I like your avi!

Aug 08 08 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Posts: 3251

Los Angeles, California, US

pissing = penthouse.

drink lots of fluids.

Aug 08 08 01:39 am Link

Photographer

ImageGenic

Posts: 928

Conroe, Texas, US

Playboy is your girl next door.
Penthouse is your girl next door -In Heat!

I'm sure they have a website you can check out to get an idea of what sort of stuff they publish.

Aug 08 08 05:30 am Link

Photographer

ImageGenic

Posts: 928

Conroe, Texas, US

afterdarc studios wrote:
penthouse magazine did change their style... but they will always be known for what they were.

that's like a pornstar trying to go straight and get a real job... she WILL always be known as THE PORNSTAR.

WoW! I had NO idea! It's probably been about ten years since I looked at a Penthouse magazine.  I do still subscribe to Playboy...

Aug 08 08 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

Posts: 3505

San Antonio, Texas, US

Nudes are rated, Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler.  Penthouse leans more to the Hustler side, than it does to the Playboy side.

Aug 08 08 05:41 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Tina Berry wrote:
Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal...

Tina Berry wrote:
There are a lot of mixed (though still helpful) ideas about Penthouse style nudes.

Imageri by Tim Davis wrote:
It's not Penthouse she's modeling for. But someone wanting her to do "Penthouse style". And that in their minds could mean anything.

QFT - it sounds like a horrendous GWC-fest to me - 15 "photographers" all hot and sweaty and each with his own idea of what "penthouse style" means... not something to be undertaken by a model inexperienced in that type of modelling IMHO yikes

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

Aug 08 08 05:46 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Posts: 30064

Ocala, Florida, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:

Tina Berry wrote:
Because it's a 3 model, 15 photographer kind of deal...

QFT - it sounds like a horrendous GWC-fest to me - 15 "photographers" all hot and sweaty and each with his own idea of what "penthouse style" means... not something to be undertaken by a model inexperienced in that type of modelling IMHO yikes

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

It is beginning to look that way, isn't it! If you check out ShutterBug Magazine you'll find dozens of listings for "glamour" workshops. Basically someone puts together a group shoot as some fancy house with a pool. Charges 10 to 15 GWCs anywhere up to $200 each to come and shoot three or four "professional" models in various stages of undress.

The promoter makes out like a bandit, the models get barely anything except a few bucks and the promise of some prints for their ports and the GWCs go home thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread with nudie shots to show their non GWC buddies at the local tavern.

Aug 08 08 08:17 am Link