Forums > Photography Talk > Profoto 7B or Profoto AcuteB 600R

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

Im not sure which one I want to get....The AcuteB 600R is light as hell and the 7B is like holding two bricks.

Which ever one I decide to get I will also get a Ring Flash for it.

I will be doing alot of on location shooting.

Any Suggestions?

Nov 18 08 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Nared Photography wrote:
Im not sure which one I want to get....The AcuteB 600R is light as hell and the 7B is like holding two bricks.

Any Suggestions?

If you are going to do a lot of locations the 7b is the best option, the only con is that the modeling lights on the 7b are weak and they only stay on a lil time -if not the modeling lights would drain the battery- but overall is the best option.

If weight becomes a problem you can always use a cart to move it: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur … rt&x=0&y=0

Nov 18 08 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

Los Angeles, California, US

Eduardo Frances wrote:

If you are going to do a lot of locations the 7b is the best option, the only con is that the modeling lights on the 7b are weak and they only stay on a lil time -if not the modeling lights would drain the battery- but overall is the best option.

If weight becomes a problem you can always use a cart to move it: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur … rt&x=0&y=0

Nov 18 08 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

I don't know about price, but what about getting 2- Acute 600's.

This will give you a lightweight back-up, plus the 1200 w/s,

if & when you need it.

Nov 18 08 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

of the two...7b.

unless you simply must have profoto there are other options though.

Nov 18 08 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Love

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Excellent port, BTW.

I bought 2 AcuteB 600R kits earlier this year, and they are great!  I have ran into situations where 600w/s as not enough--especially if you are trying to over power the sun on location.

One option is to invest in the Acute Twin strobe--it can be ran on both acuteb packs when you want a 1200w/s pop.  If you don't need that much power, you have the option of going light with just one pack.

I like the portability of the AcuteB, so if I had to do it over again, I would still buy them.  The 7B offers much more power, but is ~25lbs--i.e. not as portable.

Both are great!  Can't go wrong with either.  Buy what you need!

Pat

Nov 18 08 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

TheLeicaGuy

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I have both.

The 600B is light. You can throw it in a backpack - and have the wires sticking out - while you are shooting.

The 7B is heavy. Shockingly so. Like 4x the size.

The 600B - only one head... the 7B - two heads...

So if you only need one at 600w/s... save the money. The 7B is much more expensive. Though it could replace your in studio power pack - depending upon your studio needs.

M

Nov 18 08 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

le provocateur wrote:
unless you simply must have profoto there are other options though.

Yea im pretty much married to Profoto....I just got rid of my Profoto Compact 600R Kit....Im now looking to upgrade to portability

Nov 18 08 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

P K A S S O

Nared Photography wrote:

Yea im pretty much married to Profoto....I just got rid of my Profoto Compact 600R Kit....Im now looking to upgrade to portability

Im in the same boat as you. After using a acuteb 600r and 7b with the wireless. I never ever use my compact 600r on location and im ready to sell it!

with that said i love the acutes portability but i rather be safe than sorry and get the 7b. Its not light but a few times i have lugged it around all day from location to location on a shoot. Also it seems more rugged for location work i.e. rubber surrounds on the top and bottom.

I havent tried an acute ringflash but all the colorful shots with the 3 girls on my port and with the girl in the road holding the shoes was all done with the 7b and ring flash at 1pm in direct sunlight. The shot i have as my default was done with a 7b and a standard head. direct sunlight, bright as day.

Nov 18 08 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Berman

Brooklyn, New York, US

The AcuteB600 only supports the acute ring, and only gives you a max of 600WS through that ring. That may be enough of a drawback for you that you want to go with the 7B. I personally rent a generator and bring my studio packs and genny on site.

Important things:
-Pro Heads and Gear are the standard in rental houses. You will always be able to rent gear.
-Pro heads are generally about twice as expensive as the equivalent acute head, pro packs are likewise much more expensive.

The end of the day questions are:

Will the acute b600 provide you enough flexibility or do you need the 7b for full creative freedom?

From a business perspective, will you be able to rapidly recoup the cost?

Nov 18 08 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shelby Chan Photography

New York, New York, US

Nared,

I would definitely save the moola and start with the 7B first. Consider the B600 a "luxury" because there will be situations where you two heads, or more than 600 w/s are required. The modeling light shouldn't be too much of an issue as I hardly use mine on location. In the studio though, it can get tiring always turning on the modeling light after every pop.
The B600 is great but if you are going to take location shooting seriously, start with the 7B first then get the acute B as an auxiliary pack. It's more than twice the weight but you will be glad you have it during those half day+ location shoots. Despite acute's 160 full power pops at full charge, I clock in realistically, around 110 (without the use of the modeling light. I take the train a lot and travel with the 7B very frequently. Yes it is a heavy pack, but it is manageable. I store it inside a Pelican 1510 case and it is sized to fit into overhead bins on an airplane. I've done that without any problems every time.

Nov 18 08 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

I guess i'll go with the 7B...but I fell in love with the weight of the AcuteB 600R....I was able to hold it up with my pinky

Nov 18 08 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shelby Chan Photography

New York, New York, US

To me this would be ideal.

7B

and/or

Two acute B 600(R) packs + a bi-tube head.

Nov 18 08 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

If you're not already tied to Profoto, there are other possibilities.

Broncolor, Hensel Porty, Elinchrom Ranger, or my favorite;

Lumedyne & Quantum.  The Quantum's are limited to 400 w/s, but

the Lumedyne's can go up to 2400 w/s.  The most practical is to run the

Quantum on camera and the Lumedyne's at 800 w/s, off camera.

The recycle time of the Lumedyne at 800 w/s is 1.1 sec.

Nov 18 08 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

what's the pricing on these various options?

Nov 18 08 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

Shelby Chan Photography wrote:
To me this would be ideal.

7B

and/or

Two acute B 600(R) packs + a bi-tube head.

Whats a Bi-Tube Head....Its sounds as it is but I rather someone just tell me rather me assume

Nov 18 08 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

You're in NY...  rent 'em and see which you prefer- need.

Bi-tube head is what? Around $1700  earlier this year.

Nov 18 08 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

Patchouli Nyx wrote:
what's the pricing on these various options?

AcuteB 600R w/head $2900

7B 1200 w/Pro Head $4800
7B2 1200 w/Free Pro Head $4699

Nov 18 08 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Nared Photography

New York, New York, US

Nared Photography wrote:

AcuteB 600R w/head $2900

7B 1200 w/Pro Head $4800
7B2 1200 w/Free Pro Head $4699

If I wasn't purchasing the Canon 5D Mark II....I would get the 7B2 With The Free Pro Head Now

Nov 18 08 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stubborn Stain Inc

New York, New York, US

Are you planning on working the battery pack into your system of strobes?  or is it going to be free standing?

I had a bunch of Acute anyway, so the choice was easy for me.  In fact, I even had an adaptor for Hensel Porty to use with Acute heads (no modeling light though).  If plan on investing into more strobes, you have to figure in the cost of either Acute or Pro7-8 into the equation. 

Personally I love the 600b and only use the Porty 1200 as a back up (which I haven't needed).  I rarely shoot it at max power, so the 600ws hasn't really been a limitation, but I tend to use my lights close to models.

Nov 19 08 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Nared Photography wrote:

Any Suggestions?

Rent both configurations as you want, then decide...

I use the Ringflash with a Hensel Porty Pro A/S, works great!  Just need to make an adapter from Profoto to Hensel...

Nov 19 08 04:33 am Link

Photographer

JonasJ

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

We have 4 x 7b2, 1 x 7b and 1 acute kit here in my studio among other things, so I have tried all of them. Of course not looking at price there are no discussion, taking price into consideration I guess it depends what kind of location pictures you are shooting. Most of the stuff I do outside is 1200ws and I would go for 2400 if it was possible.. so for me the 600w is just not enough. As some people say you can buy 2x600 and a twin head but then you can use the ringflash etc for full power.

So as always it depends what you needs are, but I would go for the 7b.

Nov 19 08 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Geyer Studio

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

For battery power I went with the 1200 ws pro b2 because with a universal power adapter it is a studio pack with very short flash duration to freeze motion and has extremely rapid battery charge time.   It is pricey, and heavy, but frankly so is a Mamiya and a whack of lenses and all the other crap that goes on location smile 

At the end of the day, the pro b2 is both a studio pack and a studio on location.

Nov 19 08 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Nared Photography wrote:

If I wasn't purchasing the Canon 5D Mark II....I would get the 7B2 With The Free Pro Head Now

Have you checked out other options?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 … _with.html

Nov 19 08 06:13 am Link

Photographer

JonasJ

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

Lee Geyer wrote:
For battery power I went with the 1200 ws pro b2 because with a universal power adapter it is a studio pack with very short flash duration to freeze motion and has extremely rapid battery charge time.   It is pricey, and heavy, but frankly so is a Mamiya and a whack of lenses and all the other crap that goes on location smile 

At the end of the day, the pro b2 is both a studio pack and a studio on location.

I can't completely agree with you on that. Even with the universal power adapter you will still drain the battery flat and the modeling light of the pro 7b's are not really what you need in the studio. It's useable for sure and fast.. but I rather use my 7a's or even acute packs for studio work.

Nov 19 08 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Love

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Nared Photography wrote:
Whats a Bi-Tube Head....Its sounds as it is but I rather someone just tell me rather me assume

Here is the bi-tube head.  Basically the cord splits at the bottom to access two packs:

http://www.profoto.com/en/products/head … e-d4-twin/

It is expensive (~$1800), and comes with a magnum reflector.

Pat

Nov 19 08 09:27 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I already own the Acute 1200 pack system and a Compact 600ws. If I needed battery power, I would buy or rent a Dynalite XP1100. My local rental house told me I can run the 1200ws pack or two Compact 600's off it and have no problems. I would confirm that before trying it to avoid any issues.

Nov 19 08 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

George A

Walnut, California, US

okay here is a question will the acute heads work on 7b power pack

May 19 09 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

SAG Photography

Valencia, California, US

George  A wrote:
okay here is a question will the acute heads work on 7b power pack

NOPE

May 19 09 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

George A

Walnut, California, US

I guess I am stuck with my honda Generator powers the acute 2400r fine

May 19 09 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Altunis

When comparing the two:
Do you need a lighter system? Acute is definitely the lighter of the two
Do you want the ability to use two heads with one pack? 7b wins here
Do you want a battery that lasts 250+ full power shots? 7b wins here as well
Do you need 1200w/s? If yes, 7b wins here as well
Do you need a cheaper system? Acute is cheaper, BUT, if you want to use two heads you'd have to buy another Acute thus making it more expensive than a 7b system

Both are capable of using a ring flash and the same modifiers.

If you're looking for a workhorse that you'll be using a lot, I'd personally go for the 7b. It's what I use and its great for what it does.

May 19 09 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

John Farrell

Also, check out the Paul Buff Vagabond battery($300).  I have a compact 600 and acute 2R 2400 and have been able to run each separately off the battery.  The 2400 is about 10 seconds to recycle at full power though. But it works and gives a portable option. If I foresee needing faster recycle I rent generators.

May 08 10 11:38 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Get the 7B.  Just in case you want a 2nd light down the line or want to use a variety of modifiers and size, having more WS comes in handy.

May 08 10 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Vibrant Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Id ring around and try and pick up a refurbished / ex rental or ex-college pack.
Locally I can pickup a refurb 7b with prohead for the same cost as an acuteb600r.

I take it you have looked at the new acuteb2 600 AIRS systems?

The 7b will take the new LiFE (lithium iron) batteries that then new B3 takes, so the pack weight should come down from 11kg to more around 8kg and give you more pops and slightly faster recycle.

Im considering selling my ranger RX AS A kit and picking up a new acuteb2.

May 08 10 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

This question was asked 1+ year ago.

May 08 10 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ruijters Fotografie

Sittard-Geleen, Limburg, Netherlands

I have the Profoto B2 1200w (icl. pocket wiz.) /1Prohead. On location the beauty dish. very fast recycling time

It's great to work with Profoto. profile picture with profoto beathy dish.
Soon more work.

greeting pat      www.ruijtersfotografie.eu

May 08 10 04:20 pm Link