Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Good makeup artist name...

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

EmElle Makeup and Hair wrote:
People should not be afraid of their names.  Seriously.

the kind of name you market yourself with, will determine the type of client pool for you down the road.

Dec 22 09 11:16 am Link

Model

*LAURA*

Redondo Beach, California, US

Sian Melton wrote:

Well howwwdddy there, Jessica Jean! What was your name when you joined? I don't even remember.

My website is alwaysmadeup.com. I have that on my business cards and use it professionally. Most people recognize that so I haven't gotten rid of it yet. But, I'll probably switch over to just my name soon. I already bought sianmelton.com and have been phasing out the alwaysmadeup part.

I just wish that people could pronounce my name. Sigh. Actually, I really just need to move back to England; they don't have any problems with my name there. I'm going to find me a nice British boy to marry so I can get citizenship, haha.

haha prounounced shaun right? i reponded before reading the english bit too! wink

Dec 22 09 07:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Erin Chaney

Brooklyn, New York, US

I had no idea all this time I could have been going by my old raver name!
"Gummibear Makeup Artistry", yeah, that has a lovely ring to it!

Dec 23 09 08:39 pm Link

Model

Miss-Angel

To begin with, I stopped reading after one page! Soooo many comments! lol

I think deciding a name really depends on what you have... If that doesnt make sense, hopefully this will, lol....

If you want a salon, or an actual business with more than one MUA, then definately go with a catchy name thats not your own. Just because you have a catchy name, it doesnt mean you cant use your own name if you ever get 'big' or whatever.

I mean, in editorials and what not, unless makeup is done by your whole business, you can still use your own name.

Im in the same boat though, trying to think of a name. I want a catchy name thats going to get my business noticed, but Im still going to use my own name when I do things, unless I get more MUAs to work with.

Really hope that makes sense!!

But just remember, its all up to you! If you really want a cutesy name, go for it! Afterall its YOUR business!!!

Hope that helped!! smile

Sep 08 10 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Velvet Paper Photo

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Miss-Angel wrote:
To begin with, I stopped reading after one page! Soooo many comments! lol

I think deciding a name really depends on what you have... If that doesnt make sense, hopefully this will, lol....

If you want a salon, or an actual business with more than one MUA, then definately go with a catchy name thats not your own. Just because you have a catchy name, it doesnt mean you cant use your own name if you ever get 'big' or whatever.

I mean, in editorials and what not, unless makeup is done by your whole business, you can still use your own name.

Im in the same boat though, trying to think of a name. I want a catchy name thats going to get my business noticed, but Im still going to use my own name when I do things, unless I get more MUAs to work with.

Really hope that makes sense!!

But just remember, its all up to you! If you really want a cutesy name, go for it! Afterall its YOUR business!!!

Hope that helped!! smile

lol  This thread is about 2 years old.  How in the world did you find it?

Sep 08 10 02:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kana L Brown

Evansville, Indiana, US

ahhh this has been so much help....google found it for me,, it really is a timeless topic...i am a newbie && i was informed to make a professional website,, and I need to make cards && such....so i now too have the dilemmia of comming up with a name.....but i think after reading the whole thread i will stick with

..Kana L. Brown
or shall i just use my first name....i would use my middle if it wasnt sooo ghetto lol

Sep 20 11 07:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Krystelle Lee

Bakersfield, California, US

I have been racking my brain for a name as well...I went with my first and middle name in the beginning then just spelled it differently...my name is crystal lee and i have been using Krystelle Lee MUA...I have been tossing around Glamorize by Krystelle Lee what do  yall think? or keep it the same

Sep 26 13 10:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Krystelle Lee wrote:
I have been racking my brain for a name as well...I went with my first and middle name in the beginning then just spelled it differently...my name is crystal lee and i have been using Krystelle Lee MUA...I have been tossing around Glamorize by Krystelle Lee what do  yall think? or keep it the same

Wow, this thread began in 2008 (5 years ago) and it just won't die (lol).

SOLID ADVICE: Stay away from gimmicky names.

Your name is Crystal Lee and that's fine. Don't waste energy worrying about names - use that energy to build your reputation and business. People will find you no matter what your name is ...if you're a good artist.

Example: One of the most famous editorial/fashion artists working today is named Tom Pecheux ...most people can't even pronounce it, but this man makes a TON of money.
Pat McGrath, Dick Page, Charlotte Tilbury, etc. None of these people have gimmicky names and they are all VERY successful.
Just sayin'

Sep 26 13 12:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LC Makeup and Styling

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Christina Carlsson wrote:

I advise you to listen to Mary.

I second this!

Oct 05 13 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

KJB wrote:
Wow, this thread began in 2008 (5 years ago) and it just won't die (lol).

SOLID ADVICE: Stay away from gimmicky names.

Your name is Crystal Lee and that's fine. Don't waste energy worrying about names - use that energy to build your reputation and business. People will find you no matter what your name is ...if you're a good artist.

Example: One of the most famous editorial/fashion artists working today is named Tom Pecheux ...most people can't even pronounce it, but this man makes a TON of money.
Pat McGrath, Dick Page, Charlotte Tilbury, etc. None of these people have gimmicky names and they are all VERY successful.
Just sayin'

not to beat a dead horse but KJ has a good point...Do you know any super successful artist or photographer with a made up name?  No, I don't think so. Ego plays a big part in the artistic world and most big egos want their own name behind the art they create...great artists want to leave a legacy right? it's a part of the healthy ego that most artists have... think about all the greats with boring names.....  Their names were once  boring but not anymore... who they ARE now made their name great, not the other way around.

Oct 05 13 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

Lacey Stephens  is a perfectly nice name for a makeup artist. You need not look any furthur than your own lovely name.

Oct 06 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Lacey Stephens hair-mua wrote:
I'm playing around with names for my business. I wasnt something that says Vanity and Glam but is very spunky and edgy that people will think is cute and remember... any cute ideas??

I would just use your name..
Picking a wrong name can back fire or may not be taken seriously

Oct 06 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Fred Greissing wrote:
Lacey Stephens  is a perfectly nice name for a makeup artist. You need not look any furthur than your own lovely name.

I agree 100 percent.
Also the name sounds like a day spa or makeup artist...

Oct 06 13 12:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sheika Belle Make-up

New York, New York, US

Since your name is Lacey Love y not call the company LoveLace?

Stephanie May Artistry wrote:
I remember when I was doing this.... Its really hard... I would like something and my husband would hate it.. He was against a "name" completely though.. he just wanted me to use my actual name.. but there are too many Stephanie MUA in my area..

Glamourpuss is kinda cute... I actually have a bottle of wine called that!!

If Lacey Love is your name I would totally use that... its great

Oct 29 13 05:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sheika Belle Make-up

New York, New York, US

How do you change your name. I applied for some pro memberships but they ask for photo i.d. And I'd rather not be called by my full name, how do I work that situation out.... Anybody?

Krystelle Lee wrote:

Oct 29 13 05:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sheika Belle Make-up

New York, New York, US

liz yu wrote:

the kind of name you market yourself with, will determine the type of client pool for you down the road.

But how do u successfully change your name, at least for credits on movies or photo shoots?

Oct 29 13 05:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sheika Belle Make-up

New York, New York, US

Rachel Lisa wrote:

Actually Aeni, I think this would be a really cool name for an FX company...

"Special Effects Makeup by Ugly Stick Productions"....I like it!!!!

That is very cute and catchy.

Oct 29 13 05:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sheika Belle Make-up

New York, New York, US

Krystelle Lee wrote:

Keep it the same

Nov 01 13 05:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Krystelle Lee

sheika belle wrote:
How do you change your name. I applied for some pro memberships but they ask for photo i.d. And I'd rather not be called by my full name, how do I work that situation out.... Anybody?

if you want to apply with another name you have to file a fictitious name so that is a legal name I use my real name to apply and show my credentials as Krystelle Lee

Jul 06 14 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Krystelle Lee

Thanks everyone you know i forgot i posted here and i was googling my name Krystelle Lee and this came up hahaha I did decide to just use Krystelle Lee because I want to be semi famous someday and like it was stated all the greats just used their name so I did also just will lil more flava lol

Jul 06 14 12:29 pm Link