Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

Lauren Sweeney-Fenton wrote:
I had left this first and see your up and running again! Lol

I've had a LOT of critique since then, removed 8 shots from my portfolio, contacted a lot more photographers, had two hair & beauty shoots this week and just have NOT stopped trying.

Also decided to pay for some acting classes to improve on my poses & expression, I'm taking part in a fashion show on Sunday and I've got better ideas for shoots.. can't wait!

Hi Lauren,
  I did leave you a critique just a week ago I think and I said I really liked what you did.  Keep it up.

-Romel Evans

Nov 15 10 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

BreeannaRose wrote:
I would love your opinion. I really am just trying to have a variety from beauty, editorial, commercial, ect... i want to get signed with an agency.. What advice can you give me or what do you think. You can leave what you dont like as well. Sometimes the bad makes you better=] hhaha

HI Breeeanna,
  Well, I think you're very pretty, have a very nice figure and great looking eyes.  You have the right height for editorial, although at 140 pounds, I would think that you would be a bit overweight for the high fashion work.  However, you have a could come down to 125 which would be fine I would think at your height.  Or as you say you could do commercial work and you certainly have a very nice smile for commercial work.

The positive things I see in your portfolio are that you can pose seemingly and are expressive with your eyes...both very important qualities for a model.  I also like the variety of shots you've taken and the fact that you seem to think out of the box. 

You could also do very well with glamour if you wanted to.  You certainly are sexy not only in your figure but also in your eyes.  So you might think about that a bit.

In fact, if you're ever planning on a trip to the bay area, I would be willing to work with you.

So what I would say is that you have plenty of work displayed.  If I would have been you, I'd go to the agencies now looking for work.

Dec 13 10 12:15 pm Link

Model

Official_Cat

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

critiques about me?smile

Dec 13 10 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Crazy_Bear wrote:
I would love to know what you think of my port. I do nudes, but I'm definitely not a strictly nude model, i just got into those about a month ago. Thank you smile

Hi Crazy Bear,
   I saw mostly nude stuff in your portfolio, but I do have to say this, that you're doing more artistic nude than just plain nude without any direction.  I do like the facial expressions and your poses which are not vuglar like many nude models are, so I'll give you an exception.  I can understand why you're doing nudes since you're only 5-1 in height and it's difficult to get any recognition unless you do something like this. 

You're certainly sexy, but that wouldn't be the case unless you did show personality in your posing and expressions.  I think glamour work and perhaps artistic work is your way to go.  I would even consider (not sure if it would work) junior commercial work since you're so tiny. 

Either way, I think you can be succesful with what you're doing.  Since you're not far from hollywood, I would even throw my hat into the film industry as an extra to see if it got me anywhere.  You may have already tried this but it's a thought.

Dec 14 10 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Alessita wrote:
I'm taking my first steps and I really could use some input from you on my overall image, strong points and weaknesses . Thanks smile

Hi Alessa,
  OK here we go:

Strong points:  Good skin tones and clean looks and an OK figure.

Weakness:  Knowing how to show yourself in the best way possible.  You obviously haven't been in front of the camera for very long because you're don't look so sure of yourself in the images I saw in your portfolio.  You seem a bit tight and unsure.  If you really want to be a model, then you have to put the time into it.  Get a full length mirror and practice in the mirror.  Don't be affraid of looking goofy because that's how you learn and find out the range of your skills.  The skills include facial expressions and poses that combine together to look just right for the type of environment and the shoot concept.
Find a really good photographer and work with them to achieve this.  Watch how you face the camera, because you have the type of a face that may not look right depending on the angle of shot to the camera.

You're last image on the bottom of the page would have been lot better if you had your hands at different heights rather than at the same level, so perhaps your left hand should have been at your waist rather than all the way down. 

Learn what works perfect for you and get more full length and 3/4 length shots of you and come back here so I could see if you improved.

Dec 14 10 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Cristina Christy wrote:
alright, lets hear it yikes

Cristina,
   well to start off with, you need a better MUA person to work with, then you need to change your photographers and concepts.  Nothing works for you in your portfolio, except for the very first image (headshot) and the geisha thing,  from what I see. 

Why would you have fishnets on when the tattoos are showing through...it just doesn't work.

Having your mouth open so big in the b/w headshot is more scary than beautiful.  I know you're trying to get an expression, but it should be an expression that makes sense and should be done using your eyes rather than the lower half of your face.

And don't put images of you with other people in there.  Not only doesn't it do anything for you, but it shows you to be more into letting others know about your lifestyle than modeling.  And who really cares about that here?

Dec 14 10 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jessica Leigh D wrote:
Thank you very much for your advice smile

You're welcome.  I wish you the best.

Dec 14 10 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

muji eren wrote:

Is it still going?? smile

Yes, I finished your critique on the following page:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=64

Dec 14 10 07:21 am Link

Model

Celeste L

Theodore, Alabama, US

me please if your still going smile

Dec 14 10 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

mariah- taylor wrote:
i would really like to know what you like/ dislike smile

Hi mariah,
   I think you have very captivating eyes and you should use them to your fullest advantage.   Other than that, you need more experience.  All the time that you've been on here and you only have 8 images to show for it just doesn't cut it.  Get to work and start building more experience and more images to show.  Come back later after you have some content and let me see where you are then.

Dec 14 10 07:24 am Link

Model

nikolek

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'd like an honest no bullshit , no fluff critique on what I need to work on , how I can achieve my top potential in this industry..... If this thread is still going on  anyway. Thanks.

Dec 14 10 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

jenna luxe wrote:
I'd love to hear your opinion.

Hi Jenna,
   Well, you're very pretty and sexy at the same time which is a good thing.  You have a few ways that you can go.  It would have been nice if you were just one inch taller and perhaps that would have helped in the editorial/fashion areas.  I like you're posing as it is nice and angular but you need to do more with your eyes.  If you don't, than you can't make your images work no matter how good the pose is.  Build that drama in your eyes and show it.  That's what you need to make the right expressions.
  On a couple of the images, you have way too much makeup on so it's giving you more of a  clown look than beauty.  I'd take those down.

Watch how your neck looks as in the avatar image.  You should try to elongate it and make it look as elegant as possible.

Also you have too many angry/serious images of you and they don't do anything but take away from you.  I'd suggest more teasing, playfull type looks with the eyes than what I see there now.

You have a nice figure and as I said you're sexy, so glamour could surely work for you also.  But I would also work hard on the big smile for the commercial work that you should be throwing your hat in for.

Finally, your upper legs from the knees up, need to be more toned if you want them to look right in the images.  For example the first image of the first and third rows they look a bit big, so tone up.

Dec 14 10 07:37 am Link

Model

Kari Nautique

Miami, Florida, US

Sent you a message. Would love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks

Dec 14 10 07:54 am Link

Model

KatherineCoates

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd like to know if you think I'm going in the right direction. I'm moving away from the "girl-next-door"/athletic look and heading toward more fashion-oriented images. Do you think this is working so far? I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Dec 14 10 03:21 pm Link

Model

Krystal Newheart

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm having a hard time figuring out if my port is not only good, but shows that I have what it takes to shoot commercially. Thanks!

Dec 14 10 07:48 pm Link

Model

Alodie

Santa Rosa, California, US

I would love a good honest critique, I am a new model and there is nothing better then a truthful opinion. I am trying to grow and expand my knowledge to know what I can do better.

Thank you
Alodie

Dec 14 10 11:15 pm Link

Model

Shawna Kennedy

Dallas, Texas, US

I would like to know what I need to do to improve. I am new to modeling and want to get headed in the right direction. Please and thank you so much!

Dec 15 10 12:03 am Link

Model

jacky jmj

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

me please ... i'll give it a shot wink

Dec 15 10 01:25 am Link

Model

Sara Flower

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would like to know my strengths and where I could improve. Thank you!

Dec 15 10 03:50 am Link

Model

LockLee

YES...And thank you.

Dec 15 10 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

GWCExtraordinaire wrote:
BRB....I'm makin Nachos for this one!!

LOL

Dec 15 10 05:12 pm Link

Model

Alice Alodia

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'd love to get a serious critique from somebody if you are still up and running and have the time. ^__^

Dec 15 10 05:30 pm Link

Model

Danielle Posh

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I would absolutely love an honest critique. I'm just starting out and absolutely need it!

Dec 16 10 02:23 am Link

Model

Heather112185

Jacksonville, Florida, US

please look at my port the industry that i feel best suits me is the fitness industry as well as lifestyle. Please let me know

Dec 17 10 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Carlie Lawson wrote:
Wow! This is still going? Awesome blossom. I would be interested in your critique since I am always looking to improve. Thanks in advance for your reply.

All the best,
Carlie

Hi Carlie,
  I think with you I'm going to go row by row and see if I could help you with your images:

Row 1:
   image 1) not very good.  You're expression frankly is not what a model wants.  Its a bit comical and gives the impression of a chipmonk backed up into a corner and growling.  Honestly I'm not trying to make fun, but really believe you should take that down since it only hurts you.
   image 2) same pose, without the growl.  The problem with this one is that it makes you look very old.  The hair style is a bit 80's Farah Faucet and the angle of the shot with your face that way is just not right.  Nothing people are going to go wow on.
   image 3) Too old looking and wrong gender to be a boyscout.  The muscles aren't tense making the image a fake and really nothing exciting about it.
   image 4) It may have been ok except for the expression and the gold tie in front...just a bit aritificial.
Row 2:
    image 1) the best one thus far.  It shows you naturally and the lighting is well suited for you.
    image 2) skipping as it's not flattering or in anyway likable
    image 3) I'm not sure what you're doing here.
    image 4) It's ok but that's all....it's too contrived and posed.  You should
                  should have been really play acting here as hiding and not
                  pretend hiding.
row 3:
    Image 1) A pretty good shot, except 2 things.  A) the photographer should
                  have removed the crease out of your neck and B) Your eyes
                  should have been focusing a bit to the left rather than the camer
                  directly.
   image 2)  Bad pose bad expression.  Try to lose that pose.  It's the same as
                  the first 2 in your portfolio.  The expression, well, just look at it
                  from a 3rd person's point of view...doesn't do anything for you.
   image 3)  this one is ok as far as you're concerned however, the
                  photographer got you with your nose as the only thing in the
                  light.  What happens is that it causes your nose to look too big.
  image 4)   No comment.  Shouldn't be in your portfolio
Row 4:
   image 1)  Body Part?  There's just nothing to it.  You're not super busty
                   that this would cause people to stop and look and not having
                  your face in it takes away from it.  Now if this was very sensual, it
                  may have bought you something but it's not so it's useless.
   image 2)  this image gives you the youngest look so far but it's got too
                  much makeup and the mirror doesn't do anything but show the
                  top of your head.  If I were to guess, this is a new photographer
                  and was experimenting with different techniques.
   image 3)  I like the dress and the fact you look natural in it.  The problem
                  here is the legs.  You should never have someone take your
                  picture with your legs directly in front of you. You should have
                  had them on the other side and knees together to look right here.
   Image 4)  The photographer cut your wrists.  That definitely shows a lack of
                  experience.  You never cut off at joints.....ever!   Too much
                  make up and the expression is wrong and too posed.
Row 5)        These look like the best of your images.  I'd keep these.

Work on your poses, and exporessions.  Get a big mirror and look at yourself honestly and know what works and what doesn't before you get there...and find a good photographer.

Dec 18 10 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Chantaille Elise wrote:
me?

Yup, I already did yours a while back.

Dec 18 10 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

C A T H Y     wrote:
I would love to hear what you have to say...smile

Hi Cathy,
   Need a lot of polish in your work. There were only 2 images I liked in your portfolio That I really liked. The 3rd image of the first row and the first image of the 3rd row.  The rest don't do anything for you.  It just looks like you're trying too hard with the same style.  Most of your expressions are serious ones.  You need to come up with other expressions...and use your eyes for the expressions...the bottom 1/2 of the face shouldn't be very involved in the expression except to either part lips or smiles or smirks, etc.
   For the S-Curve pose(first row - last image) the elbow is cut off, and that shouldn't happen...means you have to find an experienced photographer.
   Fashion shouldn't be something you're going to go after since you're only 5-3.  You won't find success there because of that, and being too old for junior wear.
  Some of your images are too dark, thus too flat.  Flat images don't generate interest.
  Too much editing of the skin is done which means the original image wasn't well lit, so the photographer has to do too much noise reduction causing too soft an image.  They should be razor sharp.

Dec 18 10 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Dana DeLange wrote:
Would love to know what you think ;D I need some direction!

Hi Dana,
   If you read the top of this forum, you'll see I don't do mostly nude critiques.  I will say do less nudes and more substance as far as your modeling.

Dec 18 10 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Erickson Miller wrote:
please

Hi Erickson,
   You need to get more expressive in your images.  Just having one expression doesn't cut it.  Get a better photographer also.  There should be better lighting done for a model.  The low key lighting techniques with all the shadows should only be used to light portraits of older men with a lot of miles on their faces.  It gives a lot of drama to the person.  For you as a model, if you're trying to make it into an agency, you need to be well lit.  You need to wash your face in the light.  Always look for the direction of the light since that's a requirement for a model to know where the light is coming from.  You shouldn't have hard shadows across your face.
Anyway, you need more images that include headshot,
3/4 length and full length.  Also have a different wardrobe for each shot.  Having different photographers also shows you in different styles, so make sure you get a lot of variety.

Dec 18 10 04:59 pm Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Cathy,
   Need a lot of polish in your work. There were only 2 images I liked in your portfolio That I really liked. The 3rd image of the first row and the first image of the 3rd row.  The rest don't do anything for you.  It just looks like you're trying too hard with the same style.  Most of your expressions are serious ones.  You need to come up with other expressions...and use your eyes for the expressions...the bottom 1/2 of the face shouldn't be very involved in the expression except to either part lips or smiles or smirks, etc.
   For the S-Curve pose(first row - last image) the elbow is cut off, and that shouldn't happen...means you have to find an experienced photographer.
   Fashion shouldn't be something you're going to go after since you're only 5-3.  You won't find success there because of that, and being too old for junior wear.
  Some of your images are too dark, thus too flat.  Flat images don't generate interest.
  Too much editing of the skin is done which means the original image wasn't well lit, so the photographer has to do too much noise reduction causing too soft an image.  They should be razor sharp.

Thanks!! smile

Dec 18 10 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Andrea Soh wrote:
Me if you arent too busy?
Im kinda new here though

Hi Andrea,
   You're a pretty girl, but don't rely on your looks.  This is a very a hard career with a lot of rejection in it.  You need to work on your poses.  Find out if you can get into any posing classes where you are and see if you can get better at them.   Your images look like they've been taken by a family friend or family member.  Get a real photographer to work with you and show you the techniques (if you're lucky enough to find a fashion oriented photographer).  You need to be very expressive also, so learn to get yourself in different moods and convey the moods with your eyes.  That should help you build better images and then come back here and let me look at you again.

Dec 18 10 05:18 pm Link

Model

Chloe Model

Staines, England, United Kingdom

You've already critiqued me but wow, still going!
What a great thread x

Dec 18 10 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Eliza Cortez wrote:
Surely this thread must be some MM record right? smile lol

I would love to know your thoughts, I would also like to add that your work is exceptional its vibrance is very stand out from the crowd, just ashame you are the other aide of the state to me sad

Love E xxx

Hi Eliza,
   Thank you very much for the nice compliment.  I just read your bio and and read the interview from the link you supplied.  I like the fact that there's more to you than just looks.  And looks you certainly have with the facial structure and of course the blue eyes against the dark skin are quite mesmorizing. 
  The thing I like most however is that you adapt well to the environment and are exressive with your eyes.  You have a great figure of course to top that off. 
   Rather than tell you what you should do to improve, I could tell you that if you traveled the 8 or so hours to the Bay Area smile, I would probably try to photograph you in theme based shoots to use your expressiveness or the potential of it to the greatest extent.  If I were just now to come up with some idea, I'd say a victorian theme would work well with you because of your very nice hair and the figure to fit the dresses properly.  But if you were to come here I think we'd get more elaborate than that perhaps.
   You do have the right looks to do even better than you have thus far...and I have to say, that I see a bit of humor in you when I looked at your gallery smile.
Humor really helps me a lot and I'm always open to people that can make me laugh.
  Anyway, to summarize, you have all the physical features anyone could ask for except maybe if you were 2 inches taller...lol...but I see you've done runways and look pretty good in them.   You have a good handle on the posing and expressiveness which is excellent for someone in MM.  I can see you doing a range of different genres here, including fashion orienet ones, glamour, art, fitness, commercial, lifestyle, etc.
  Let me know if you're ever in this area.  I'd be interested in working with you for sure.

Dec 18 10 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Chloe Model wrote:
You've already critiqued me but wow, still going!
What a great thread x

Thank you very much.  I see you're doing very well.

Dec 18 10 05:48 pm Link

Model

Erin aka Dolly Darling

Spokane, Washington, US

Hello, I'm not sure if you will critique my portfolio or not.  I have many nude (I believe tasteful) pictures, but I also have many other pictures.
I would appreciate it if you could take a look.  I seriously need direction.
If not, I completely understand.
Thank you,
~Heather

Dec 18 10 05:52 pm Link

Model

Heather Lackey

Vancouver, Washington, US

What area(s) of modeling do you think I would do best in?  How can I improve?

Dec 18 10 08:02 pm Link

Model

JasmineNikita

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I'd love to hear your feedback. I promise to take it seriously.

Dec 18 10 09:03 pm Link

Model

Sadaf Lucero

Houston, Texas, US

i'm new to modeling.  so any advice on my port/style would be great.  thanks!

Dec 19 10 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Hirisha Bayramovska wrote:
I would love to hear what you have to say, as I am new to this business and any constructive critisism or opinions you may have will be very usefull to me. As an amateur model I know i have a lot to learn but I think i may need some guidence. Any thing you say will be greatly appreaciated!

Thank you!

Hi Hirisha,
   You're a good looking girl but have a bit of work to do to refine yourself and change from someone who just happens to get pictures taken to a real model.  As you can read from the many critiques so far, I refer to basic modeling skills often. 
These include 2 major skills.  1) posing of course, which is different for each type of modeling genre to some degree.  2) expressiveness. 

These two skills must be combined into one look that should match the shoot concept, hair/makeup, wardrobe, and environment.   To get the right images, all of these things must integrate well.

Since you're new to this, you should note that in some your images you seem lifeless and uncomfortable.  I'd say you seem unsure of what to do and are very self concience which would lead to what I'm seeing.   You have to take risks as a model to look goofy or not exactly what you want.   That is the only way you'll get to know your range of moods, and expressions that follow those moods.

Please take note that expressions are made mostly with eyes and upper half of your face.  The lower half of the must support this of course but must stay symetric and only add slight and subtle smirks, smiles, gasps, etc.  Again, this all must be consistent with the pose and concept.

Dec 25 10 02:06 pm Link

Model

Desirae Walker

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm definitely interested in your critique. I want to downsize my port a little, and I want to be smart about which pics I choose. I don't want to offend the photographers, but I also know some pics are a little old. It's hard to pick which ones. Thanks for your help.

Dec 25 10 02:12 pm Link