Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

Dillon Rosel wrote:
hey, I was just curious to get your oppinion on my port. I've seen your port, looks like you know what your talking about smile

Hi Dillon, you definitely are very high fashion and as would be expected, agency signed.  You do have great looks and you're quite tall at 6'3".

Anyway, my oppinion of you is that from what I see in your images, you need more variety in expression, perhaps some images of you smiling or playfull and you need some with more formal attire such as a suite or tux to round out your set.   Otherwise you're doing quite fine as far I can see.

Feb 13 11 10:54 am Link

Model

Miss Bravo

Mesa, Arizona, US

I'm Game smile

Feb 13 11 11:11 am Link

Model

Evelyn Veesovata

Des Plaines, Illinois, US

I am just starting up, but I'd still love a critique and your thoughts on things I should work on! =]

Feb 13 11 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jailynn S wrote:
i owuld be very interested in seeing what your critique is.  Another point of view is always appreciated.  thanks!

Hi Jailynn,
   You're nice looking and I think you're in the right genre as far as your images go (glamour/nude).  I can't say anything about your nudity, but if I had to say something about your clothed work, I'd say that you need to build up your skills quite a bit because the posing and the expressing yourself properly are not there.  Since you haven't been doing this for very long I'm sure you'll attain the skills if you really are driven to do well, otherwise you'll just be one of 1000's on here that is just ok or average.   Learn to use your eyes to come up with all the different range of emotions to create the expressions.  Also, from what I see, you need to know how you look  in relation to the axis of the camera lens.  Know how to look tall and thin and stretch your neck as far as you can to give you elegance.

Feb 13 11 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jenna Lauray wrote:
I would love your opinion even though I am 25, which is about 60 in model years. Modeling comes natural to me and I believe if I put in a lot of time and effort, I could go somewhere with it. But maybe not and I'm fine with that because I love chocolate, ice cream, cake, and cookies too much and I don't want to abandon them for too long

Hi Jenna,
   Congratulations on your second anniversary here.  I really like your height and looks, but even more I like your humor as in the last sentence above.  However, I have to say that from your images, you're being cast for the wrong things.  I know you like edgy but I think you should use edgy properly because if you're doing some of the more horror type concepts, you need to be more into it, otherwise you're just someone who's scary looking without the expression to put people into the moment...in other words, you're just made up and had your pictures taken....but that's all.  You need to show expression big time.    Appropriate expressions that go with the poses. 
   Take a look at your expressions and poses and compare them with expressions of some of the girls on America's top model.  I believe you can potentially do very well, but you need to build your skills first.  That is what separates a model and anyone else who just gets their pictures taken.
   One of the things stressed on that show is to use your eyes to create the dramatic expressions and use proper poses.
   You have the physical looks already, so if you really are driven to do this and become outstanding, then do something that will make you stand out in the crowd.

Feb 13 11 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jailynn S wrote:
i owuld be very interested in seeing what your critique is.  Another point of view is always appreciated.  thanks!

Jailynn, please read the header...I don't critique nudes...sorry.

Feb 26 11 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

x Nikki x wrote:
ha ha I see most of the above read the bit about no childish, myspace type requests, it's like when castings state PM only and then has 20 messeges saying me,me I'm interested. Is it me or does that drive you nuts!

Anyway I've just upgraded up account and have lots of photo space, please could you give me some advice of what I should include more of and what Ishould take out. Also do you see a clear direction that you feel I should be going, if it's home then fair enough be as brutal as necessary but try and be constructive as I want to improve.

Thanks Nikki

Hi nikki, finally got to your critique.  I couldn't be brutal with you because you're a serious model.  You not only have a good head on your shoulders but are very pretty and know what you're doing as far as modeling I think.  I really like your avatar...it give you a bit of edge, which is nice when someone like you has the very natural beautyl looks.

One of the things I really like about your portfolio is the fact that you have a lot of variety in it, which says that you've actualy put a lot of effort into it.

AS far as what I think might help you is more or less just keep what you're doing.  However, here are some pointers:

1) make your pictures bigger on here and make sure you take up most of the image (example: next to the last image.  That is a good shot for the photographer as a fine arts images, but it doesn't do you much good).
2) some of your images are either a bit light(ex: row 15 image 2 or 4th row from bottom image 2.  I know Some of the overexposure is intentional, but for the ones I pointed out, it doesn't make sense), or too dark (row 3 image 3.  Especialy with sunglasses on...it's too made up if you know what I mean) or are not quite in perfect focus (ex: row 6 last image), and some even have a bit of lens distortions (the one of you standing on the toilet).  Also you might want to get the images to be a bit more contrasty   Also when you're not looking towards the camera, ensure that the eyes are focused on something and they are looking straight ahead rather than to the side.  Move your head rather than just the eyes  to the direction that you want to look (ex: row 6, 3rd image).

Generally, since you have the very classic beauty looks, you should probably inject a bit of edginess to your shots.  Right now as a whole you are very commercial.  If you want to look more high fashion, then get some edge to your work.

By the way, you're the type of model that I like working with.  If you lived around here I'd want to get together with you on shoots.

Feb 26 11 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Maggie Mae Schorsch wrote:
Hello
I would love your opinion on what I need to add in my port to make it better. Also I am a lot older than other models...is there a future for a 34 year old tattooed model?

well depends on how you look at it smile.  Yes, tattoos don't allow you to be very versatile, but there are plenty of successful models that have them...the rest needs to make up for tattoos for you to be successful.

You have a pretty face and very nice hair, and you're tall, so those are all good things.  You also have a sexiness about you naturally, so I'm sure you find plenty of photographers who want to work with you.

You probably wont be able to join major agencies because you're 34 but I'm sure you can find local venues that would cater to you.

Feb 26 11 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Gretchen JEAN wrote:
Funny how you started off the topic by stating you didn't want anyone saying "me please", "yes", "ok" and short replies, but that's what everyone did anyway.

Hi Gretchen,
   I like your looks and think you're in the right area of work which would be glamour and promotional.   I think you should try to fill your portfolio with more varienty to show more flexibility.  For example change your appearance through the use of makeup and wigs, do theme oriented photoshoots.

Another thing I think you should think about is, that since you're naturally sexy, perhaps tone down the concepts of the shoots so that you're wearing more clothing rather than less.  This would balance your sexiness.  Too sexy and flaunting can be negative and take away from you.  By being subtly sexy, you actually garner more attention.

Feb 26 11 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

JamesTawil wrote:
I'll bite if you're still doing this.
I'm thinking I need more expressions, just don't know what kind.

Yeah, a lot of people must be telling you this...try smiling or grinning or looking surprised...don't you know all the range of emotions?

Feb 26 11 09:10 pm Link

Model

-Cait-

Burley, Idaho, US

If you're still going (I see you've critiqued about a bajillion people!), your opinion would mean a lot to me. I like how in depth and detailed your responses are.
The reason why I'm asking is because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Although I like my portfolio, when I compare it to some other models', it seems to be not as professional. I've been told quite a few times that I need to work with better photographers who can also edit pictures better, but the thing is, I feel like it's really hard to find really GOOD photographers around here.
I like doing conceptual shoots, as well as lifestyle. I have a pinup calendar coming up, which I'm excited for, and after my foot heals, I would like to get me some ABS and start doing swimsuit modeling.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to critique me.
Sincerely,
-Cait

Feb 28 11 11:17 pm Link

Model

Jacqueline in LA

Anaheim, California, US

and how about me?

Mar 01 11 01:35 pm Link

Model

Elise Saint Marie

Antelope, California, US

I would love to know if I have a good look (and what you think of my look [hair, eyes, body type, etc]) If I'm pretty, Sexy, Cute, or plain. And where I fit in the modeling industry (print, runway, fashion, glamor, etc.). Thank you! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Mar 01 11 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jacqueline Hoffman wrote:
and how about me?

It would do you a lot of good if you read the header to the forum first before posting.

Mar 01 11 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Lin Mei wrote:
I'm looking for some helpful critique. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. smile

Hi Lin,
   It goes without saying that you're pretty.  You can do yourself a big favor by practicing your modeling craft however.  What I saw in your portfolio, although they fairly nice images because of your beauty, don't say much more about you as a model.  I get the feeling that you're wrapped up in your looks and want to look sophisticated and have too self conceince to allow yourself to take a chance.  That's how you grow as a model though smile.  If you don't take a chance on looking goofy, you'll never get to the next level. 
Perhaps it's just that you don't have the basic modeling skills down (posing and expression).  If that's the case, then it's going to take a lot of work by you to get further.  This place is littered with thousands of cute girls.  To stand out you'll need those skills and you need to show them at every shoot.  Don't just go to a shoot and think, OK, I'm pretty and think everything will turn out right.  It takes skils from all parties involved to get the right product out.

Mar 27 11 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Meant4 wrote:
Wow, you really are asking to do this for us! Thanks very much and I'd appreciate your advice.

Hi Meant,
   You need to do more work and get more pictures up in your porfolio.  It's disconcerting that you haven't been on since January.  If you really want to be doing this seriously, you need to work consistently on your skills and not doing anything just doesn't get you anywhere.  Come back here after you get more shots of you.

Mar 27 11 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Natalie Ann wrote:
I would love to find out your opinion. I have a very individual look and pride myself on my natural beauty.

Hi Natalie,
   Yes, you do have natural beauty, but you have to realize that this place is full of beautiful girls.  To get noticed and go further in your modeling endevors, you'll need to do a lot of work mainly in the area of basic modeling skills.  Again, those are posing and creating expressions that are consistent with the poses. 

Also, ensure that all your images show your skin flawlessly.  your first image on the second row is in need of retouching.

Mar 27 11 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Danielle Zavala wrote:
I've enjoyed reading your other critiques and would love to get your feedback on my portfolio. I feel like I'm stuck and not sure which direction to go next. Thanks big_smile

Hi Danielle,
   you're certainly a pretty girl but you need to lose a lot of weight to fit in and have photographers seek you.  You're not way overweight but you certainly need to lose a bit and get firm (must work out and not just lose weight).  That's probably the biggest obsticle for you right now.

In the mean time, learn the art of posing and ensure that you don't do things like sitting completely down and facing the camera directly with your legs pointing to the camera or spread.  This not only doesn't give you an appealing image, it makes you look shorter and makes you thicker looking.  Always have your legs to the side.  They should never look like they're coming out of your stomach.

Mar 27 11 02:36 am Link

Model

Victoria Gail

Denver, Colorado, US

Hello and thank you. I just started and I'm only 16. So I'd like to know of course everything given your level of professionalism I know you'll have alot to say. I really really want to do this. I realize I'm too short for runway but there are other ways to be involved in this industry and runway really doesn't interest me. I want to be a part of the magic of creating beautiful images that speak to people in any way shape or form. This to me personally is art and the possibilities are endless. I'll find my niche or create one of my own. Your opinion again would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
victoria gail

Mar 27 11 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

JR Artistic wrote:
I do have a large amount of nude work, but its my passion, and its what I do best. If you'd prefer, I have a fashion/commercial account here, but it is not my main focus.

would love to know what you think about my portfolio and perhaps which direction I should focus on.

Hi JR,
   I did look at both portfolios.  You have a natural beauty and most important of all the camera likes you.  You also are not only good looking but have a natural sexy appeal to you, which is also very nice to have in this business.

I've photographed another model who looks sort of like you.  She's the one in the vinyl catsuit against the orange wall. The reason I point you to that is that I think you can look really cool if you add wardrobe to your skin.  I know you like being nude, but consider that nudity only gives one look.  A model needs to have a variety of looks to be successful. 

If I worked with you I definitely would have made sure that you had a lot of different outfits that worked with you.  It would be compromise but you'd have an edgy look without being nude.

I also want to give you 2 other pointers:
1) get your basic modeling skills together, so that you can make any shot have an impact.
2) if you're going to do nudes, at least learn artistic poses.  There is one model I know of that is great at doing that.  I think her id is katy_t.  I'm not sure how her MM images are but she has more on OMP, and although I'm not crazy about nudes, her form and posing were so good, I was very impressed.

Mar 27 11 03:02 am Link

Model

Hugo67

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Would love to know big_smile

Mar 27 11 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Gabrielle Stevenson wrote:
i would love for some more advice, thank you for your time smile

Hi Gabrielle,
   You're a pretty girl, but you need a few things to be successful. 
       1) good photographers
       2) MUAs
       3) a willingness to work hard on your posing and expressiveness.  Go to   
           every shoot as if your life depended on it.  Practice hard on your looks
           posing and expressiveness since that's what elevates your images to
           another level.

Mar 27 11 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Hugo67 wrote:
Would love to know big_smile

Hi Hugo, please read the header and respond accordingly smile.  Short sentences like this are really annoying.

Mar 27 11 03:17 am Link

Model

E R I K A

Rusnė, Klaipėdos, Lithuania

Image Designers wrote:
Show me your port and I'll let you know honestly and constructively(without being rude) what I think you need to 
do to be more marketable.   Please NO FETISH / NUDE ONLY models.
Also, please no more "me please" or "yes" or "yes please" or

Mar 27 11 03:18 am Link

Model

Hugo67

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Oh sorry mate..
In fact i'd really love to know what could be better in my port, what to improve and all.. I'm sure it'd be very good for me to have the opportunity to have advice from talented photographers.
And please excuse my messy english as i'm french :p

Mar 27 11 03:25 am Link

Model

Liam G

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi! I would love some feedback.
I've emailed shots from my portfolio to local agencies and have been knocked back a few times. Just wondering if you can offer some advice or tips? Maybe what shots I need to include in my portfolio.
Thank you so much!

Mar 27 11 05:39 am Link

Model

ooooo

Kentaū, Oņtüstik Ķazaķstan, Kazakhstan

Which photos should I definitely remove from my portfolio?
And what advise would you give me to improve my modelling skills?

Mar 27 11 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Erika Otis wrote:

not sure if you've done me before, if not here i am smile

Hi Erika,
   As a matter of fact, you were one of my favorites on here.  Your critque is at teh following location:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … 31&page=63

Mar 27 11 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Hugo67 wrote:
Oh sorry mate..
In fact i'd really love to know what could be better in my port, what to improve and all.. I'm sure it'd be very good for me to have the opportunity to have advice from talented photographers.
And please excuse my messy english as i'm french :p

Thank you and that is much better.  I'm sorry if I sounded a bit crusty. smile  I'm really not it's just that after hundreds of reviews, I'm amazed that some people don't see it.  In fact some don't see it when I say it to someone in a post just above theirs.

Mar 27 11 07:50 am Link

Model

Shawntal Tsukino

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was just passing through this and just wanted to state that its not fair that you ask for no fetish/ nude models to participate in this. While scanning through this, reading that part made me sad. Some people out there still don't see these things as being art... or positive forms of expression, even. I get that that stuff may be freaky or gross to some people, but it just sounds like you were 'segregating' those two types out. I was actually curious to know your opinion, because I know I can do a lot better and love honest feedback. I, myself happen to have a few nude photos up...So What? Do you think of these types as degrading?  I am proud to say that I nude model, and that, at the same time, I can hold a conversation, and possibly have some intelligence and good character. If you do feel negatively towards nude and or fetish models, well... I'm sorry to hear that. That's all.

Take care,
Shawntal

Mar 27 11 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Shawntal Tsukino wrote:
I was just passing through this and just wanted to state that its not fair that you ask for no fetish/ nude models to participate in this. While scanning through this, reading that part made me sad. Some people out there still don't see these things as being art... or positive forms of expression, even. I get that that stuff may be freaky or gross to some people, but it just sounds like you were 'segregating' those two types out. I was actually curious to know your opinion, because I know I can do a lot better and love honest feedback. I, myself happen to have a few nude photos up...So What? Do you think of these types as degrading?  I am proud to say that I nude model, and that, at the same time, I can hold a conversation, and possibly have some intelligence and good character. If you do feel negatively towards nude and or fetish models, well... I'm sorry to hear that. That's all.

Take care,
Shawntal

Hi Shawntal,
    First off, I didn't say no nudes at all if you read it correctly, in fact, I said mostly nudes.  Second, it's not that I don't think nude can't be artistic or is vulgar.  There are a couple of reasons for why I don't want to critique nudes.  1)  Most of the models here, whether they decided for themseleves or were coerced by the photographers to do nudes, often go way past the point of acceptable level of nudity and border on porn.  I don't like porn!  it's not artistic or in any way a form of modeling to me.  2) once you've seen a nude from a model then the rest is pretty much all alike.  Wardrobe gives a model ways to show variety whereas your skin will always look the same. 3) I'm barely keeping up with non-nude critiques, and adding nudes would completely keep me from catching up.   
   In your case, since all of your images aren't nude, I would take a shot at it, but it'll be a while since I'm behind quite a bit.

Mar 28 11 10:55 am Link

Model

Bronwyn Kellie

Johnstown, Colorado, US

Your work is all very visual powerful, whether it be through powerful color or strong image composition. I would love to read your thoughts on my portfolio - I know that even though I've been modeling for 3+ years, I have things to work on. Thank you in advance!

Mar 28 11 12:37 pm Link

Model

Miranda Read-Wilson

London, England, United Kingdom

me please xx

Mar 28 11 12:45 pm Link

Model

Annabelle Lyttle

New York, New York, US

Tonight is the first night I ever looked at the Forums on MM and I came across your thread. I am all ears when it comes to critiques and advice. I'd like to say that I have a good sense of self actualization, but no one ever really knows how other people view them unless they ask. So this is me asking, what can I do to utilize my look to its fullest potential? Do you see me as more commercial or fashion? I know that my measurements are a few inches above standard straight sized models, and I have also been told that I might be "too pretty" for high fashion. Any suggestions on other types of images I should consider adding to my portfolio?

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this!

Annabelle

Mar 29 11 08:13 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Sha-Lynne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sure

Mar 29 11 10:45 pm Link

Model

Catherine Mariee

I'm in smile

Mar 29 11 11:00 pm Link

Model

Rylee

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Trying to grow as a model and weed out what doesn't work. Thank you!

Mar 30 11 05:38 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ernst

Los Angeles, California, US

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Mar 30 11 06:21 pm Link

Model

Rae Johnston

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm always open to an opinion... smile

Mar 30 11 06:23 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I'm not sure that traditionally marketable is a relevant goal at my height/weight/lack of a good girl next door commercial face and thus I've been trying to walk on the more fashion and art influenced side of alternative/edgy, and to focus on hair/beauty as it seems to be a good niche for me.

I'd appreciate any comments or thoughts, if you are still doing this.

Mar 30 11 06:30 pm Link