Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Blending tan lines

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I imagine that this will be several layers using curves or color balance and masking in the portions that I need...but...I'd love to hear how other people do it.

Full sized sample is available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8527271@N07/3802227297/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3802227297_578843c987.jpg

Obvious tan lines and glowing cleavage. It's my photo so go ahead and have some fun if you like. I have done NO editing whatsoever other than resizing and changing resolution for web posting. This was just a "hey dad, I wanna do some photos" night. smile

Aug 10 09 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Posts: 14635

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Wanted to give it a try.  You will get much better  from others but wanted to give it a practice.

I left some trace of it I think.  I wanted to keep it looking somewhat natural.  I didn't try to tackle the shadow under her chin smile


http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii472/bernieBsc/3802227297_578843c987_bccc.jpg

Aug 10 09 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

yeah, I caught the shadow later. I didn't see it with the modeling lights. Bad on me! damn.... smile

Aug 10 09 04:12 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Posts: 1343

Agoura Hills, California, US

About five minutes of work painting on the low frequency layer. This kind of thing is where frequency separation really shines.

http://a1.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f01101640dbe9860b-pi

Aug 10 09 04:21 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Posts: 1343

Agoura Hills, California, US

Looking back, I should have painted cleavage. It looks a little flat now.

Aug 10 09 04:24 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Posts: 1343

Agoura Hills, California, US

(deleted post)

I confused this thread for another where the topic creator said "have fun." I posted a version with painted in cleavage, but it seems inappropriate.

Aug 10 09 05:49 pm Link

Model

Ekaterina Vladi

Posts: 36

Los Angeles, California, US

mikedimples wrote:
(deleted post)

I confused this thread for another where the topic creator said "have fun." I posted a version with painted in cleavage, but it seems inappropriate.

lol ur funny!

Aug 10 09 05:54 pm Link

Model

Ekaterina Vladi

Posts: 36

Los Angeles, California, US

J Nicholas Photography wrote:
I imagine that this will be several layers using curves or color balance and masking in the portions that I need...but...I'd love to hear how other people do it.

Full sized sample is available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8527271@N07/3802227297/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3802227297_578843c987.jpg

Obvious tan lines and glowing cleavage. It's my photo so go ahead and have some fun if you like. I have done NO editing whatsoever other than resizing and changing resolution for web posting. This was just a "hey dad, I wanna do some photos" night. smile

Use me next time I have no tan lines :}

Aug 10 09 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ekaterina Vladi wrote:
Use me next time I have no tan lines :} [/quote
If you were my daughter, and just happened to live at my house, then I would use you. smile

wait,..... that sounded really wrong didn't it?

Aug 10 09 08:18 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Posts: 1343

Agoura Hills, California, US

J Nicholas Photography wrote:
If you were my daughter, and just happened to live at my house, then I would use you. smile

wait,..... that sounded really wrong didn't it?

Okay you don't seem the type to be offended by some cleavage. Here's some boob-o-rama.

http://a0.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f011016c08678860d-pi

Aug 10 09 08:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Posts: 4106

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

1. Open a curves or levels adjustment layer.
2. Click on the curves icon so the layer mask isn't active (no white frame around the mask icon). Inside the curves or levels dialog box, double-click the white dropper icon to open the color picker.
3. Click the dropper on the tanned skin to set that color for the white dropper.
4. Close the color picker and click the white dropper on the untanned skin.
5. Invert the mask and paint with white to darken the white areas.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5759/tanlines.gif

Aug 11 09 06:12 am Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I'll try my hand it it tonight and see what happens. Super good tuff!

Aug 11 09 07:13 am Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

mikedimples wrote:
Okay you don't seem the type to be offended by some cleavage. Here's some boob-o-rama.

Uhh nope...not easily offended at all... smile

Thanks! That is great work.

Aug 11 09 07:14 am Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

mikedimples wrote:
About five minutes of work painting on the low frequency layer. This kind of thing is where frequency separation really shines.

Mike: you are talking about working on a Low frequency LP filter layer, correct? Maybe I need to go read the "why LP sucks" thread again!

Aug 11 09 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Posts: 8239

Mobile, Alabama, US

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_ … up_id=&ua=

Had to o it on this image.

I simply created a new layer, and painted the tan line with a soft brush, sampling the skin color often (CTRL+ Click with the brush tool).

Adding back skin texture:

I then applied a bit of Gaussian blur to that layer.

I click on the new layer in the layers palette and clicked select pixels.

Go back to the background layer and hit Ctrl+J to create a new layer containing the original tan line area.

Move that layer to the top and put it into softlight mode.

Desaturate that layer Image Adjustments Desaturate

Run Filters Other High Pass on that layer to bring back skin texture.

Change Opacity on both new layers to taste.

Aug 11 09 07:22 am Link

Photographer

NotInUseAnymore

Posts: 11

Sacramento, California, US

wow, this one looks great!!!

I want to know how to do this, can somebody give me the tutorial

Aug 11 09 03:09 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Posts: 476

Los Angeles, California, US

Peano wrote:
1. Open a curves or levels adjustment layer.
2. Double-click the white dropper to open the color picker.
3. Click the dropper on the tanned skin to set that color for the white dropper.
4. Close the color picker and click the white dropper on the untanned skin.
5. Invert the mask and paint with white to darken the white areas.

That's not how I did the last one, but it's how I'll do the next one...

It never occurred to me to start by setting the white point to my target color. Thanks, Peano.

PS make sure the Adjustment Layer's mask is not highlighted, or you'll just get white...

Aug 13 09 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Peano wrote:
1. Open a curves or levels adjustment layer.
2. Double-click the white dropper to open the color picker.
3. Click the dropper on the tanned skin to set that color for the white dropper.
4. Close the color picker and click the white dropper on the untanned skin.
5. Invert the mask and paint with white to darken the white areas.

I finally got some time to try this out. So far this seems to be the easiest "quick and dirty method" to do it. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Aug 14 09 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Posts: 1375

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

mikedimples wrote:

Okay you don't seem the type to be offended by some cleavage. Here's some boob-o-rama.

http://a0.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f011016c08678860d-pi

Great edit..Love the booby-illusion smile  Can you list the steps for removing the tan lines, I really want to learn how to do this smile

Aug 14 09 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Posts: 1375

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Peano wrote:
1. Open a curves or levels adjustment layer.
2. Double-click the white dropper to open the color picker.
3. Click the dropper on the tanned skin to set that color for the white dropper.
4. Close the color picker and click the white dropper on the untanned skin.
5. Invert the mask and paint with white to darken the white areas.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7885/tan2o.jpg

Amazing Peano.. Excellent edit

Aug 14 09 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Posts: 1419

Glendale, Arizona, US

Just out of curiosity what is that on her right shoulder/neck?

Aug 14 09 08:40 am Link

Photographer

J Nicholas Photography

Posts: 1485

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Prose Photography wrote:
Just out of curiosity what is that on her right shoulder/neck?

It was jewels from the thingy (technical hairdresser term) holding her hair up.

Aug 14 09 08:43 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Posts: 4106

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Rafael Telles wrote:
Amazing Peano.. Excellent edit

Many thanks.

Aug 14 09 09:32 am Link