This thread was locked on 2009-12-05 01:26:40
Forums > Photography Talk > started shooting stills & video simultaneously...

Photographer

malibucanyonphotography

Las Flores, California, US

here's my new rig for catching video & stills @ the same time:

http://45surf.smugmug.com/Other/dslr-wi … 4835_TcH5k

https://45surf.smugmug.com/Other/dslr-with-hd-video-dslr-stills/45surf-double-45-dueler-TM/swimsuit/728931993_bkGWP-M.jpg

https://45surf.smugmug.com/Other/dslr-with-hd-video-dslr-stills/45surf-double-45-dueler-TM/swimsuit/728920902_QjqT8-M.jpg

it rox to catch both video and stills of this:

https://45surf.smugmug.com/Other/dslr-with-hd-video-dslr-stills/45surf-double-45-dueler-TM/swimsuit/728934568_JPqeK-L.jpg

anyone else shoot video?

happy holidays!

Dec 01 09 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

No thanks. I don't want my videos to be all shaky and I don't want to shoot still which required smooth movements from one camera position to another. It's possible to brush your teeth and shave at the same time but you're likely to get cuts.

How much did you pay for that? I could probably rig one up for under $10 with a trip to Home Depot.

Dec 01 09 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

malibucanyonphotography

the videos and stills are both smooth as if you are shooting continuous stills, you need to keep the camera steady, just like if you are shooting continuous video.

smile

Dec 01 09 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

malibucanyonphotography wrote:
the videos and stills are both smooth as if you are shooting continuous stills, you need to keep the camera steady, just like if you are shooting continuous video.

smile

I don't know how you shoot but I shoot mostly portrait orientation. I shoot some frames, drop the camera to the side, give some instructions, bring the camera back to my eye, shoot some more, point the camera down and chimp, set the camera down, fix something, etc.

You get the idea. That video will look like crap.

Dec 01 09 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think not. I can't think of a better way to screw up both the stills and video. I move around when I shot, moving the camera from portrait to vertical, from eye level to down low, from left to right and so on.  Seems to me that using that rig would be about the same as shooting with still and video camera mounted together on a tripod. Very static!

Dec 01 09 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Here's a better way to shoot both video and still at the same time. If it's good enough for Time magazine, it's good enough for me. It's a little more expensive than the $10 I would have spent at Home Depot.

http://www.red.com/

Dec 01 09 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

malibucanyonphotography

It actually is quite steady as when one shoots stills, one must be steady; and when one one shoots video, one must be steady.

The mass of the Canon 5d Mark ii actually smooths out the ride of the hd camcorder.

I often shoot for a few minutes with the model changing poses in one place, and me walking about her, slowly changing the camera angles.

And when you put the camera down, you hit the stop button.

It changes my style a bit, but not much; and I get both awesome vids & pics. smile

And of course I don't use it all the time...  but there were just so may times I'd wished I'd had video...

Dec 01 09 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

What's the point?

Dec 01 09 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

malibucanyonphotography

i've been working on a documentary which features a lot of photography.

a lot more photorgaphers are shooting video now too...

smile

Dec 01 09 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

c_d_s wrote:
What's the point?

Exactly

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Not a chance. I think I see why you're all jazzed on it though... it's your product right?
And this is smelling more like SPAM than someone excited about a new product now.

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

i've been working on a documentary which features a lot of photography.

a lot more photorgaphers are shooting video now too...

smile

Yeah it's common for a model to show up for a nude shoot and the photographer just happens to have a video camera there without discussing it with her too. smile

Dec 01 09 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://45surf.smugmug.com/Other/dslr-with-hd-video-dslr-stills/45surf-double-45-dueler-TM/swimsuit/728920902_QjqT8-M.jpg

Sorry, but can you take this picture down so I stop looking at her ass and start reading the thread?

Dec 01 09 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

At the very least you should probably post some sample video and stills that were shot at the same time dontcha think?

Dec 01 09 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

Yeah it's common for a model to show up for a nude shoot and the photographer just happens to have a video camera there without discussing it with her too. smile

I keep mine well hidden behind a two way mirror in the changing room. wink

Dec 01 09 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

I'm not sure if you know but all the new dslr from major brands going forward will have video capabilities. Many have had that for over a year.

Dec 01 09 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

malibucanyonphotography

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
At the very least you should probably post some sample video and stills that were shot at the same time dontcha think?

yes!  working on it. smile

it's a bit of a different mindset, but it's way fun too... and productive.

Dec 01 09 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Living Canvas

Denver, Colorado, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

Sorry, but can you take this picture down so I stop looking at her ass and start reading the thread?

Gah!!! Noooo! Don't do that... I like her ass... It's purty smile

Dec 01 09 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

45surf Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Dec 01 09 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

fLOVE PHOTOGRAPHY NYC

New York, New York, US

I'll pass, on this or DSLR video.  If I'm gonna shoot motion picture I'll shoot motion picture, and preferably not video but film.

As for all the rest......I think half of being a photographer is making the decision of when to press the shutter

If you're shooting video you're not a photographer, you're a videographer, if you're shooting film you're a cinematographer.

I don't understand what some people, and Canon with their latest commercial, are trying to do by seemingly trying to kill the still image.....makes me sad.  -f

Dec 01 09 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

fLOVE PHOTOGRAPHY NYC wrote:
If you're shooting video you're not a photographer, you're a videographer, if you're shooting film you're a cinematographer.

"Director of photography" - look it up sometime, you'd be surprised.

Dec 01 09 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

fLOVE PHOTOGRAPHY NYC

New York, New York, US

"Director of photography" - look it up sometime, you'd be surprised.

Okay,

director of photography 
–noun Movies.
the person who is responsible for all operations concerning camera work and lighting during the production of a film.
Also called cinematographer.

cin⋅e⋅ma⋅tog⋅ra⋅pher  [sin-uh-muh-tog-ruh-fer]  Show IPA
–noun
1.    a person whose profession is motion-picture photography.
2.     director of photography.

pho⋅tog⋅ra⋅phy  [fuh-tog-ruh-fee]  Show IPA
Use photography in a Sentence
–noun
1.    the process or art of producing images of objects on sensitized surfaces by the chemical action of light or of other forms of radiant energy, as x-rays, gamma rays, or cosmic rays.
2.     cinematography.

vid⋅e⋅og⋅ra⋅phy  [vid-ee-og-ruh-fee]  Show IPA
–noun
the art or process of making films with a video camera.
Related forms:
vid⋅e⋅og⋅ra⋅pher, noun

Hmmmm....funny, I still don't see where they call him a photographer.

Let's not confuse words here.  Photography is a process...as you can see, when you add motion to that process, it becomes Cinematography.  Vittorio Storaro seems to agree with me,

AC:Why do you prefer the title of "cinematographer" to "director of photography" in the credits?

Storaro: Because we aren't directing. That is Warren's job. We are writing with light and motion to tell a story. That distinction is very important.

....and to finish, the definition of a photographer

pho⋅tog⋅ra⋅pher  [fuh-tog-ruh-fer]  Show IPA
–noun
a person who takes photographs, esp. one who practices photography professionally.

See -graph means 'drawn' or 'written', -graphy means the process of the drawing, writing, recording, cine is adding the motion picture aspect, and -er is used in forming nouns designating persons from the object of their occupation or labor.

Thanks for the recommendation to look up these terms, makes me feel good when I am reminded I know what I'm talking about.

Dec 01 09 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I totally agree witht the concept of shooting with different media for the same shoot/set up for film/memory/cameras are cheap compared to talent, manhours, set fees, location fees, etc.

I have done light painting jobs with 7 cameras set up to capture a different viewpoint or type of film/digital.

Film/cameras are cheap.

Time and talent even assistants are expensive.

A week of a good assistant pay is equal to buying a new camera let alone just renting one.

Dec 01 09 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:
I keep mine well hidden behind a two way mirror in the changing room. wink

That would be illegal.
And quite pervy.

Dec 01 09 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

anyone else shoot video?

happy holidays!

Yes, I shoot video!  I've done some two fisted shooting, but I don't use a rig like that, plus I'm picky about when and where I do it.  I've done it fairly successfully at well lit concerts and red carpet events, but I'm pretty close up for those things and I'm rolling with auto focus.  I tried two fisted shooting at a fashion show and failed badly!  It's too hard to do both stills and video well.  I could see that the quality of my work suffers.  Much better to partner up with another photographer of videographer.

Dec 01 09 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

空 wrote:

That would be illegal.
And quite pervy.

It's only illegal if you get caught and only pervy if a pet chimp is operating the camera.

Dec 01 09 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

It's only illegal if you get caught and only pervy if a pet chimp is operating the camera.

good luck in jail

Dec 01 09 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

空 wrote:

good luck in jail

My chimp cannot be compelled to testify against me.

Dec 01 09 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

My chimp cannot be compelled to testify against me.

Too true.
that was funny.
Back to the topic shall we?

I believe the future is multlple recordings of big shoots.

Especially as the big flicker free HMI's are used more.
But hey, photographers have been shooting on film sets with silent boxes for ages.
This concept is not new.
Stills from movie sets have most often been a separate entity/separate person shooting than the actual film.
Look it up to those that do not know.

Dec 01 09 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

William Steel

Ithaca, New York, US

That's retarded. Thanks for the gratuitous ass shot; it has spared you from further mocking.

Dec 01 09 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

William Steel wrote:
That's retarded. Thanks for the gratuitous ass shot; it has spared you from further mocking.

Get a grip.
It is called a bikini at the beach.
What a concept.

Dec 02 09 12:00 am Link

Photographer

William Steel

Ithaca, New York, US

空 wrote:

Get a grip.
It is called a bikini at the beach.
What a concept.

no, click his link

Dec 02 09 12:06 am Link

Photographer

fLOVE PHOTOGRAPHY NYC

New York, New York, US

空 wrote:

Too true.
that was funny.
Back to the topic shall we?

I believe the future is multlple recordings of big shoots.

Especially as the big flicker free HMI's are used more.
But hey, photographers have been shooting on film sets with silent boxes for ages.
This concept is not new.
Stills from movie sets have most often been a separate entity/separate person shooting than the actual film.
Look it up to those that do not know.

Well the person shooting a feature film, and the one taking the stills in the blimps have two different goals out of their respective materials. 

I feel that the OP has different feelings in mind.

I work in the motion picture industry, so I know all about that, but how I view what I shoot in motion picture film vs what I shoot in my still photography, are two different things.

The only exceptions to this to me are photojournalism and event documentation(a la weddings)....the unpredictable and unrepeatable nature of moments in these fields make them ideal candidates.

While I can see the appeal of this to use on models, I just have different views on it all.

In photojournalism and say for a wedding, you're there capturing someone else's moments.  That news story, or those vows.....aren't yours, they're someone else's.  So to be sure to capture every possible moment that they want....makes sense.

In say fashion photography though, it is your moment, yours and the model's.  You two decide what moments are special as you go, as we all know, most moments captured here aren't special, it's the few that make it, while in the other fields, those people tend to cherish a good many of those moments from you, because that whole event was special for them.  Either that or it's that one image or action that summarizes a story, and you want to maximize your odds of getting it. 

For these approaches for fashion photography would be like every shoot is a wedding, which is silly, or like covering the same news story every time, I'd figure we'd eventually figure out the best places to be etc. 

As for multiple format recordings, we're already there.  They send video crews along to document still shoots, and still photographers along to document film shoots.  I just don't see the two as interchangeable in this context as the OP at least seems to.  It'd be like taking a screen-grab off a video shooting behind the scenes for SI swimsuit and putting it in the magazine as final product, think how the photographer on that shoot would feel.

I love motion pictures, and for certain things seeing a video can tell more than a still, but I could never replace the still image because often that frozen moment can be even more powerful than the moving one.

Dec 02 09 12:10 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

William Steel wrote:

no, click his link

Hey, when you're selling a C bracket with hole in it, you have to spice it up with some T&A.

Dec 02 09 12:11 am Link

Photographer

fLOVE PHOTOGRAPHY NYC

New York, New York, US

William Steel wrote:

no, click his link

Clearly the OP is an ass man.......and maybe a little pervy.

Dec 02 09 12:14 am Link

Photographer

William Steel

Ithaca, New York, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Hey, when you're selling a C bracket with hole in it, you have to spice it up with some T&A.

lul

Dec 02 09 12:20 am Link

Photographer

William Steel

Ithaca, New York, US

the entire fucking website doesn't even mention how much it costs. arent there MM rules against this kind of plugging?

youre supposed to enter your email for more info. this scheme is less convincing than the chinese/korean spam i get in my inbox every day asking me to send bank account info to some dude in africa. you should rename this website DEAREST LOVELY ONE. maybe its an honest hook, and you find out the c bracket costs nine easy payments of $9.99, just pay a s&h fee of $59. maybe Joe Francis is behind this. maybe Joe Francis broken into Ron Popeil's house and planted this idea in his ass. hard to say.

Dec 02 09 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

anyone else shoot video?

happy holidays!

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the biggest issue for me in using a dual camera for still and moving image isn't the camera but rather being cognizant and trying to deal with the barrel throw vis a vis focus pulls (for instance). You probably don't care about this issue with a lens if you're just using it for stills, but for a motioned picture, different needs/issue.

That plus modern AF lenses for still cameras don't have an witness marks and why would they? So then you have to start thinking about accessory focus rigs ala redrock which are of course more money.   And focusing with your eye through the viewfinder vs attaching a monitor for critical focusing.  And what about audio?

etc etc.

So the photograph of a hot model shooting with a dslr video is nice, but it's not realistic to me as a real world solution to shooting quality video.

Dec 02 09 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Uncle Tim Orden

Makawao, Hawaii, US

here here ... but don't take it down...

Dec 02 09 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Kung-Fu-Flavor

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I will have to try this I'm curious of the actual turnout. the perspective of the video might be useful.

Dec 02 09 02:04 am Link