Forums > Photography Talk > FBI Called Me Today...

Photographer

norm la coe photography

Naples, Florida, US

fake id's are not uncommon.  how else do you think the teen-age girls who run away from home to escape sexual abuse get their jobs as nude and topless dancers.  i've know four or five.  i photographed one, relying on her id, before she 'fessed up.  i've never used the pictures and never will.  look at those id's carefully, guys and girls.

Dec 25 09 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So much fear. So much paranoia. I feel very sorry for several posting here and would suggest you might feel much safer photographing scenics.

Dec 25 09 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Engel

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Jeff Mason wrote:
I know a photog who did 5 years in the joint for ignoring this detail. I'm guessing that he didn't check ID, or more likely didn't even care. Good post! Hope people wake up and tend to this business.

5 years in jail??? I mean, yeah, illegal photos of kids is wrong. But if what you're saying is right: that this guy simply didn't verify that the girl was legal age, and he definitely didn't think she was under age, how can someone get 5 years???? 5 years is the kind of punishment you give to someone who knowingly, wantonly, commits an act of crime. Not someone who doesn't dot his i's and cross t's. I mean, what is punishment? It's supposed to be for the intent of the act.

I dunno, seems like either there's more to what he did ie, he INTENDED to do it, or he got royally screwed for a big mistake on his part.

Dec 25 09 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Doug Lester wrote:
So much fear. So much paranoia. I feel very sorry for several posting here and would suggest you might feel much safer photographing scenics.

Scenics? Ohhh nooooo. Didn't you hear about the new federal statute pertaining to the illegal photographing of public property without first verifying ownership? Oh yes, those seemingly innocent railroad track shots could land you in the pokey for 5 years.

Dec 25 09 09:23 pm Link

Model

MYS Britt

San Diego, California, US

work on prettier smiles for the authorities fellas!?!

Dec 25 09 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Willis

Huntington Beach, California, US

Jake Garn wrote:
Moral of the story.  Check photo IDs and verify ages for ANY style of shoot for any girl.  If they are under 18 I require a notarized copy of the model release with their parent's signatures.  These two things will ensure that you are protected in case something crazy happens.

For all of those that claim that you just don't shoot 'under-aged' girls it would behoove you to realize that the photographers in question most likely DID think they were shooting a girl over 18.

Why isn't the moral of the story get IDs on models who look like they might be under 18? There is nothing in this tale that helps me understand why would I need the ID of some 26 year old to shoot with her...

Dec 26 09 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Pixel Wave Productions wrote:
Why isn't the moral of the story get IDs on models who look like they might be under 18? There is nothing in this tale that helps me understand why would I need the ID of some 26 year old to shoot with her...

How do you know that she is actually 26?     smile

Dec 26 09 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Willis

Huntington Beach, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

How do you know that she is actually 26?     smile

Haha. yeah! She might be 24! (but more likely 32)... smile

Dec 26 09 01:21 pm Link