Makeup Artist

BellusCreations

hey MUAs what is ur opinion on mary kay cosmetics, a friend of mine used to sell mary kay and now she is going out of buisness and selling eye sahows and lipsticks for $4...i never used mary kay products so i don't have any idea, do there foundations and lipsticks photograh well

Feb 16 10 07:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diana

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BellusCreations wrote:
hey MUAs what is ur opinion on mary kay cosmetics, a friend of mine used to sell mary kay and now she is going out of buisness and selling eye sahows and lipsticks for $4...i never used mary kay products so i don't have any idea, do there foundations and lipsticks photograh well

I am a fan of their colour cosmetics and have used them on many of my editorials including the image below.  As you can see it photographs perfectly well so in my opinion $4 each for shadows and lipsticks is a steal! smile

http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091201/08/4b153f14ce474_m.jpg

Feb 16 10 11:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Zuri

Los Angeles, California, US

My Aunts have been Mary Kay Beauty Cosultants for years and Love it. I myself grew up wearing the product. I do use thier foundations on my modeLs... (Check out my profiLe.)  I Like the consistancy, and I Love how you can bLend and mix the coLors so weLL. The consistency is smooth and gLides on, unLike other products that go on cakey and are much thicker in texture. You can choose from
Medium -  Full coverage. Its especiaLLy suited for NormaL To OiLy, Combination, Or Normal To Dry Skins. It comes in a 1 FL. oz./29 ml   tube that is safe for sensitive skin. It is CLinicaLLy tested for skin irritancy and aLLergy. OiL-Free, Non-comedogenic, DermatoLogist - tested. Its smooth on the skin for a fLawLess finish and it heLps controL excess oiL.   Hope this heLps!  If anything you can go to www.marykay.com for ordering!

Best Regards,

-Zuri

Feb 16 10 11:00 pm Link

Model

Australian Coco

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I did a shoot on the weekend where the MUA used it and I thought it looked great and photographed really well smile

Feb 17 10 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Le Art Nude

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

From my experience the foundations and concealers DO NOT work for photography . In the final images they look like they were made with bear fat the way they shine.

I do not allow models or MUA's to use any Mary Kay products when I shoot ---too much retouching.

Feb 17 10 05:01 am Link

Model

Solstice Rain

Davenport, Florida, US

Be careful with Mary Kay. It's the only make up I've had allergic reactions to. And I've heard the same from other people as well.

Feb 17 10 05:51 am Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

I love mary kay, they make  a really nice product

Feb 17 10 06:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tamika Patrice

I believe at one point in time Mary Kay was not considered when speaking of industry standards. I am not saying that it is today, but I hear they have improved their products tremendously. My sister sells it and I am supposed to help her learn some tips so I will really get to see if anything is kit worthy...

Feb 17 10 07:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Le Art Nude wrote:
From my experience the foundations and concealers DO NOT work for photography . In the final images they look like they were made with bear fat the way they shine.

I do not allow models or MUA's to use any Mary Kay products when I shoot ---too much retouching.

Hmmmm I'm wondering if that was the product, or instead if it was the model's skin plus maybe a lack of proper powder and oil mattifier. Mary Kay isn't super dewy, so it shouldn't shine that much.

Feb 17 10 09:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diana

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Meekeyo wrote:
I believe at one point in time Mary Kay was not considered when speaking of industry standards. I am not saying that it is today, but I hear they have improved their products tremendously. My sister sells it and I am supposed to help her learn some tips so I will really get to see if anything is kit worthy...

As mentioned, I really like their colour cosmetics.  Their shadows and blushes are lovely, lip/eye pencils soft and long wearing (though limited colour selection), and the lipsticks are great.. tons of colours there though they could use a few different formulations ie matte.

Other products that I really like:

Eyecicles (particularly the Vanilla which is great as a base for creating depth)
http://www.marykay.ca/makeup/eyeproduct … fault.aspx

TimeWise Age-Fighting Lip Primer - I use it with a cotton swab to 'clean' up without disturbing the base.
http://www.marykay.ca/makeup/lipproduct … fault.aspx

Cream Lipstick in 'Tanned' - One of my fav nude lippies

Jhaesayte wrote:
Hmmmm I'm wondering if that was the product, or instead if it was the model's skin plus maybe a lack of proper powder and oil mattifier. Mary Kay isn't super dewy, so it shouldn't shine that much.

I agree.  It does not give a dewey finish which is why a few of my friends who work in t.v. like it. I on the other hand, like a dewy finish so use none of their base products.

Feb 17 10 10:59 am Link

Model

Cindy Holiday

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Solstice Rain wrote:
Be careful with Mary Kay. It's the only make up I've had allergic reactions to. And I've heard the same from other people as well.

Me too! This is a very common problem. Something to consider since you are a MUA.

Feb 17 10 11:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diana

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cindy Holiday wrote:

Me too! This is a very common problem. Something to consider since you are a MUA.

?? 

Who is this directed to Cindy?

Feb 17 10 11:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Diana wrote:
?? 

Who is this directed to Cindy?

I think she means that she also gets allergic reactions to Mary Kay stuff and she's directing it to all MUAs as something to watch for.

Feb 17 10 11:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tamika Patrice

thanks Diana I will be sure to check those products out! wink

Feb 17 10 12:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JaDe Rain Designs

Arlington, Texas, US

I noticed a bunch of Mary Kay lipliners in a mua I admire's kit. I was surprised, having not heard a lot of good reviews, so I asked her what she liked about them. Turns out she is actually one of the artists MK calls when they shoot. So they had given her gobs of gratis. She said she didn't enjoy working with the product I think mostly she was referring to the foundations and powders. She still had the lipliners in her kit. So I figure the lipliners aren't so bad. She keeps her kit very compact so she wouldn't have room to carry stuff she doesn't use.

The skin care is great for personal use if you aren't allergic. I have also heard of the allergy product. I used MK religiously every day and night for years. I do carry their eye make up remover in my kit. I am a huge fan of that.

Feb 17 10 07:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Totally love MK color cosmetics too.  I love their foundations for ME, not for photo because I'm used to only camera ready formulas.  Their pencils for brow, eye and lip really are great.  Soft to the touch and they don't seem to travel at all.  Their eyeshadows are very silky and pigmented as well - and I recommend MK for any bridal touchup palettes if you have access to MK for that.  MK gets a bad wrap due to the sales and it's an old brand name.  Like Avon.  Most all product brands have something good.  I like the MKs old skincare system better than Timewise, personally.

Diana wrote:

As mentioned, I really like their colour cosmetics.  Their shadows and blushes are lovely, lip/eye pencils soft and long wearing (though limited colour selection), and the lipsticks are great.. tons of colours there though they could use a few different formulations ie matte.

Other products that I really like:

Eyecicles (particularly the Vanilla which is great as a base for creating depth)
http://www.marykay.ca/makeup/eyeproduct … fault.aspx

TimeWise Age-Fighting Lip Primer - I use it with a cotton swab to 'clean' up without disturbing the base.

Cream Lipstick in 'Tanned' - One of my fav nude lippies

I agree.  It does not give a dewey finish which is why a few of my friends who work in t.v. like it. I on the other hand, like a dewy finish so use none of their base products.

Feb 17 10 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Faye Lauren

Brooklyn, New York, US

i'm not a fan of mary kay.. but if your looking for something affordable MARK cosmetics is good some of their stuff i love..

Feb 17 10 11:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brandie Hopstein

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I love Mary Kay. I think it's a great product. I still sell the line but not with home parties and recruting and all that jazz. Mostly just to get the the 50% discount and for easy access for friends and family to order it.

Feb 18 10 05:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the post and Dianas commentary. I too, have thought of Mary Kay is just junk. Its obvious I am wrong. You learn something new every day...

Feb 18 10 07:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Keke Vasquez

San Francisco, California, US

DavisWebb wrote:
Thanks for the post and Dianas commentary. I too, have thought of Mary Kay is just junk. Its obvious I am wrong. You learn something new every day...

+1
I thought the same but a friend that is now a beauty consultant had me try the Age-Defined line (I can't think of the name... it's in the bathroom cabinet)... but I've seen a significant change over the two weeks I've used my products for my face from Mary Kay... it's a huge improvement.

I've also purchased the eye shadow primer out of curiosity... I haven't used it in a shoot yet, but need to test it first...

Feb 18 10 11:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BellusCreations

thanks every one on reviewing marry kay cosmetics, i did buy few glosses and eye shades...

Feb 19 10 01:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ShannonCrystalMUA

West Orange, New Jersey, US

I love Mary Kay's skin care products and foundations. I don't like the eyeshadows too much b/c I like a variety of colors and mostly the MK eyeshadows are neutral. If you like neutral looks, then MK has a large variety. I also sell, but it's for the discount as well.

Feb 26 10 09:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diana

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ShannonCrystalMUA wrote:
I love Mary Kay's skin care products and foundations. I don't like the eyeshadows too much b/c I like a variety of colors and mostly the MK eyeshadows are neutral. If you like neutral looks, then MK has a large variety. I also sell, but it's for the discount as well.

I love their skin care too but the foundations don't work for me as I like a dewier finish.

On the topic of their shadows, I don't agree... While their colour selection has been downsized, blues, purples and greens are still available and while they may be subdued, they're far from neutral.

http://i45.tinypic.com/s60yn4.jpg

Feb 26 10 09:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

ElegantFacesbyDesiree

New York, New York, US

I'm learning to look closer at the ingredients of my products and Mary Kay contains many toxins that I'm not comfortable putting on my clients. check out their ratings on

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/company/Mary_Kay_Inc./

Feb 26 10 12:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tina at Verde Beauty

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I have always used MK in my kit more so than any other product line over the past 7 years and have been very happy with it. The foundations photograph beautifully and wear well even in South Louisiana humidity when a primer is used. I prefer a silicone based foundation and the MK ones are a combination of silicone/ water based.

The brand has gone through a lot of changes since Mary Kay Ash passed away 10 years ago. Recently MK did make up for Cesar Galindo's Fall 2010 Fashion show at Fashion week, has been featured on Tyra by mua Luis Casco and it's used in all of Robert Jones' make up books. big_smile

I recently became an active consultant again (and am on target for my car this month, go me!) so you may think I'm biased but for the past 5 years of working as a make up artist I've been comparing brands and have had a hard time beating the MK in my kit when it comes to quality & value. big_smile

Sorry if I ramble, but after watching the forums for years it's nice to be able to voice this opinion and not feel like I'm going against common perception. If y'all have any questions about the product or company, feel free to ask, I know way to much about it big_smile

Mar 05 10 09:27 pm Link