Forums > Model Colloquy > Removed piercing; how to heal the giant holes

Model

Nichole Hopkins

Los Angeles, California, US

I removed my anti-eyebrow piercing near my right eye a few weeks ago....only to be left with two fairly visibly holes where the barbel went thru my cheek to my temple. I want them to heal if possible. The piercing was 4 years old so idk if it will.

Any good anti-scar products? Products you can use for shoots to fill in holes? smile

Feb 17 10 01:48 pm Link

Model

Vasilisa-art

London, England, United Kingdom

I've heard that tea tree oil is quite good, but that's just from other people - I've never tried it myself.

Feb 17 10 02:00 pm Link

Model

Ruca

Miami, Florida, US

mederma works wonders for scars.

I used it on multiple scars and it's great.

http://www.mederma.com/

Feb 17 10 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

It should be a simple outpatient procedure for a good plastic surgeon. But how well it heals or how much it shows in the end really depends on the amount of scar tissue present around the hole.

Feb 17 10 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Vitamin E oil, or Polysporin scar cream.

Feb 17 10 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Nichole Hopkins wrote:
I removed my anti-eyebrow piercing near my right eye a few weeks ago....only to be left with two fairly visibly holes where the barbel went thru my cheek to my temple. I want them to heal if possible. The piercing was 4 years old so idk if it will.

Any good anti-scar products? Products you can use for shoots to fill in holes? smile

Photo shop?

Feb 17 10 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

Photoshop!  ;-)  -JULIAN

Feb 17 10 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Miss Murder Photography wrote:
Vitamin E oil, or Polysporin scar cream.

agree...when speaking to my wife's surgeon about the scars she received after being in the hospital, he mentioned that it's not so much the cream you use, but the act of daily "rubbing it in" that reduces the scar.

I know it's too late now...but I wonder if anyone takes tattooing and piercing into account long-term when getting it done. (I've personally got tattoos AND piercings...but wouldn't remove either and thought them out for a long time before getting them done.)

Feb 17 10 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:

Photo shop?

This is really the best answer. 

I've heard good things about Mederma, as Ruca pointed out, as well. 

One friend of mine swears by using wart remover at the site of the scar as well.  Her theory was that it kills the skin in a slow and controlled manner that allows for easy regrowth (like removing a wart without leaving yourself with a dent or scar).  I tried it on a 12 year old burn on one of my ankles, and it truly did minimize the scar.  But that tissue is very different from the tissue on your face.  So I have no idea about how well that would work.  Honestly, unless your skin has developed a keloid or two, get used to covering it up with makeup.

Feb 17 10 03:00 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Annapolis, Maryland, US

You should message Heather LeStabbittyDeath, she's a model here and a piercer.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=19987

Feb 17 10 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Destin Images

Destin, Florida, US

Nichole Hopkins wrote:

None of that is going to work on a piercing that has been there 4 yrs....
The tunnel of the piering has epithelized.....that means the cells in the tunnel are the same as the rest of your skin...
Your skin will not 'heal' together because of this cells....you must have 'raw cells to get healing.
The tunnel has to be excised and the surface hole sutured....then it will heal...

Feb 17 10 03:06 pm Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

My piercer suggested tea tree oil for an old scar, though I'm pretty sure it's about as "healed" as it's going to get due to the reasons cited above.  It definitely did get smaller and much less noticeable over time after taking it out, though.

Feb 17 10 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Michael Allen Creations wrote:

The tunnel of the piering has epithelized.....that means the cells in the tunnel are the same as the rest of your skin...
Your skin will not 'heal' together because of this cells....you must have 'raw cells to get healing.
The tunnel has to be excised and the surface hole sutured....then it will heal...

Hence my earlier post to consult a plastic surgeon. smile

Feb 17 10 04:36 pm Link

Model

Roxy Vandiver

Houston, Texas, US

Michael Allen Creations wrote:

Truth.  A piercing is not the same at a straight cut.  It's a puncture.  Tea Tree Oil mostly just softens scar tissue, it doesn't remove or heal it.

Trust me.  I had my nipples, labret and side lip pierced.  The scars are barely noticeable, but definitely there.  And I didn't have any of those things pierced for more than 6 months.  4 years - you've got scars for life, baby.  Get 'em lasered or see a plastic surgeon.

Feb 17 10 10:22 pm Link

Model

Tegan Lynn

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

yep... you're pretty much stuck with them after four years. I've heard good things about vitamin E oil... but I think most of these scar treatments work best on recent scars... the older it is the more permanent it will be.

Give it time, and the scaars will become less noticeable once your body adapts to the jewellry being gone... but nothing is going to get rid of the scars entirely.

photoshop or surgery...

Feb 17 10 10:41 pm Link

Model

Kristina Vassilieva LDN

Bio-Oil.... BEST thing you can get.

http://www.bio-oil.com/

Feb 18 10 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Rybansky

Bayonne, New Jersey, US

I hate that hole ! and ring to !

Feb 18 10 05:20 am Link

Model

Kes1

Morgan Hill, California, US

If the piercing was healed up and had a fistula (tube of skin inside) and at four years it most likely is, then while it will shrink over time without the jewelry holding it open, in all likelihood it will never fully close.

I still have small holes where my belly button piercing used to be.  I can still run a fishing line through them.  They've closed up quite a bit, but still require cleaning.  When the jewelry holds the piercing open, all the skin cells turning over, sweat etc is easier to wash away.  When there is no jewelry to do that, you still have to wash away those cells.  Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get irritated by that build up.

Feb 18 10 06:06 am Link

Model

JamieKay Darque

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

the only peircing you can get that will close over no matter what is your tongue, because its not flesh.

i have old scars from navel rings that i had to remove because they were growing out crooked and i use Palmers Cocoa butter formula for stretch marks.

you cant really seem them unless you look real closely, or i move too far in one direction. yes they are still open and can fit a regular earring in them still (one has been out for 8 years now)

thanks god for photoshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 18 10 11:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Belle_Morte

Moorestown-Lenola, New Jersey, US

I took my eyebrow rings, both lip rings, and all three nose rings out over 8 years ago.  I have tried everything available short of surgery.  The holes remain.... because they were healed long before they ever came out.

Feb 18 10 11:12 am Link

Model

Steph Clare

Argyle, Florida, US

they holes should eventually heal over themselves... i say should to you because each body is different..

I've had multiple piercings i've taken out that have healed fine.
apart from my tunnels... i'll have big holes in my ears for the rest of my life lol

bio oil is a rip off in my eyes, i wouldn't bother using that for scars. just make sure you regularly rub in natural products you can get from lush etc.. cocoa butter is great

Feb 18 10 11:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Jessica Louise

Los Angeles, California, US

I had a lip piercing and had it sewn up at my dermatologist office.
http://jessicalouise.com/2012/how-to-fi … ing-holes/

Apr 04 13 05:09 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
I know it's too late now...but I wonder if anyone takes tattooing and piercing into account long-term when getting it done. (I've personally got tattoos AND piercings...but wouldn't remove either and thought them out for a long time before getting them done.)

Didn't you answer your own question there?

Apr 04 13 05:10 am Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

if it's a scar, then those oils might make a bit of a difference

if it's a hole however, and a hole that old... chances are it won't just close on its own, and if you want it completely closed and healed you might need surgery.

Apr 04 13 05:29 am Link

Photographer

sybarite photography

Zwolle, Overijssel, Netherlands

I'm amazed nobody has tought of this...

"Why don't you travel back in time, and prevent yourself from having the piercing in the first place?"

If that doesn't work out, I would suggest a plastic surgen.

Apr 04 13 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Leighthenubian

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nichole Hopkins wrote:

Ummm...this belongs with a Doctor who specializes in that kinda thing. Asking MM people for that is a recipe for disappointment.

Apr 04 13 05:50 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Chicago, Illinois, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Ummm...this belongs with a Doctor who specializes in that kinda thing. Asking MM people for that is a recipe for disappointment.

Since the question was originally asked over 3 years ago, it either healed by now or never will.

Apr 04 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

GeM Photographic wrote:
Since the question was originally asked over 3 years ago, it either healed by now or never will.

Not unless she took Marc's advice.  It no doubt cost more to correct then it did to get done.

Apr 04 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

This is a lesson not to have piercings. Except for the tongue because that's easily concealed.

Apr 04 13 05:21 pm Link

Model

Scoria

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Hey, I'm a piercer smile not much you can do while the holes are still there and deep. Once they heal up a bit you can try all the scar-removal remedies: tea tree oil etc.

Edit: Just saw how old this post is... lol

Apr 04 13 05:44 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Scoria wrote:
Hey, I'm a piercer smile not much you can do while the holes are still there and deep. Once they heal up a bit you can try all the scar-removal remedies: tea tree oil etc.

Edit: Just saw how old this post is... lol

omg yes yikes.
3 years??? zombiethread!

Apr 05 13 12:58 am Link