Forums > Photography Talk > Photographing older women *Nude*

Photographer

Rebel Photo

Posts: 11446

Florence, South Carolina, US

....let's discuss the techniques. (links acceptable) There are many women of this age group that look fantastic, so what are the do's and don'ts of photographing older women (40s-50s) in the nude. Is there a difference?


I've seen some images that would make a priapism shrivel permanently, while others were quite beautifully done.


How much retouching? or is it a faux pas to take off 20 years?

What's your take on the subject?

Aug 24 10 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Posts: 2257

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

3 of the 4 woman on my top row are 40 or over.

Minimal retouching but that is typical of my work,  I use the healing brush for blemishes and just a slight amount of dynamic skin softening from  Nik Color FX Pro.

This goes for young or more mature models.



Kevin Russo -Photographer
______________________________________
Got Portraits ???
Kevin Russo Photography
www.KR-Photos.Com
Kevin@KR-Photos.Com
We look forward to working with you.

Aug 24 10 03:51 am Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Posts: 1042

Falls Church, Virginia, US

in the general industry forum, their is an "over 40+" thread smile

Aug 24 10 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 28000

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I will be photographing a 40+ soon.
There are also 2 in my portfolio.

Aug 24 10 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Rebel Photo

Posts: 11446

Florence, South Carolina, US

So would you agree that really soft lighting is best?

Kevin- I really like what you've done with your 40+

Aug 24 10 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Posts: 2257

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
So would you agree that really soft lighting is best?

Kevin- I really like what you've done with your 40+

I think it depends on the subject, The woman that I have photographed have been in excellent shape.

I can't say that soft lighting is "Best" but it does tend to be more flattering, in my opinion.

Thank you for the compliment it is appreciated.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
______________________________________
Got Portraits ???
Kevin Russo Photography
www.KR-Photos.Com
Kevin@KR-Photos.Com
We look forward to working with you.

Aug 24 10 04:58 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

studio36uk

Posts: 21903

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Granny porn? Go for it! They tend to be ever so grateful.

Studio36

Aug 24 10 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Keyhole Imagery

Posts: 736

Woodstock, Georgia, US

studio36uk wrote:
Granny porn? Go for it! They tend to be ever so grateful.

Studio36

YAY!

Aug 24 10 05:11 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Posts: 13157

Houston, Texas, US

it does seriously depend on the woman being photographed. If she's 40 and has terrible skin, then of course good makeup and soft lighting are going to help. Good post production work with skin softening will work too. If she can pull off 20 years younger, then good for her. I don't typically use older women/models for workshops because many of my attendees don't have a lot of experience in post processing...especially skin softening.

Aug 24 10 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 28000

Dearborn, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:
Granny porn? Go for it! They tend to be ever so grateful.

Studio36

I don't photograph the ones that look like grannys!     smile

Aug 24 10 05:28 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22615

Salem, Oregon, US

we did boudoir for a pair of 50 years olds (they were friends and did back-to-back shoots). they were particular about the retouching and knew what could be accomplished with liquify. one 11x14 print had to be redone because it showed too many age spots. they had hired a MUA so overall it wasn't too hard. but definitely a bit more retouching needed than for the younger folks.

Aug 24 10 07:50 am Link

Photographer

B Ballard Photography

Posts: 1560

Savannah, Georgia, US

I've shot several 50+ models for my work.

None are in my folio now, but generally speaking, I don't differentiate between them and a 20 year old during the session or in post work.

Aug 24 10 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Posts: 17360

Billings, Montana, US

studio36uk wrote:
Granny porn? Go for it! They tend to be ever so grateful.

Studio36

My oldest nude was 68. 

My advice: buy more c-stands and some fishing line



Seriously though, some of them look just fine, and it's no different.

Aug 24 10 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Jon Ebling

Posts: 617

Cave Junction, Oregon, US

I accidently Photoshopped out a 50+ model's belly-button once. She got lot's of compliments on how great her [my] skin looked though

Aug 24 10 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Posts: 4447

Escondido, California, US

Jantana,  http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854 , in my portfolio, was 45 at the time of the shoot. She had two adult children, some stretch marks, and a slightly extended stomach. She also had one of the most beautiful faces I have ever seen on a woman, so I asked her to pose nude for me.
  I will admit that I used some very aggressive techniques to "get her into shape", including a digital "tummy tuck", and removal of the stretch marks. I added back a texture that matched her natural skin texture in those areas where I "repainted" her using Photo Shop's paintbrush. I did not feel that it was too much work, I considered it a labor of love, and not too different from what I did as an art major with paint and a brush on canvas.
  I would do it again, even though it is much easier to photograph a young woman who is already "flawless".
-Don

Aug 24 10 08:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

Vincent Wolff

Posts: 2866

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don Garrett wrote:
Jantana,  http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854 , in my portfolio, was 45 at the time of the shoot. She had two adult children, some stretch marks, and a slightly extended stomach. She also had one of the most beautiful faces I have ever seen on a woman, so I asked her to pose nude for me.
  I will admit that I used some very aggressive techniques to "get her into shape", including a digital "tummy tuck", and removal of the stretch marks. I added back a texture that matched her natural skin texture in those areas where I "repainted" her using Photo Shop's paintbrush. I did not feel that it was too much work, I considered it a labor of love, and not too different from what I did as an art major with paint and a brush on canvas.
  I would do it again, even though it is much easier to photograph a young woman who is already "flawless".
-Don

she has a great figure, Don

I have illustrated several over 40 models,  (samples in my port), 2 are over 50.  even in the reference photos, they are really beautiful.   I think it's great that women at our age have that kind of confidence.

Aug 24 10 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Posts: 11048

Sun City, California, US

A lot of it has to pivot on their desires.

Those that are proud of their age, their lives and scars.

And those that are fine and proud to be presented with some help.

I have only had one of the first type - proud of her physical condition and her life and requested that minimal post work be done.

In that case, I shot her in a rich and warm light - with her adult daughter - also nude - with her.

The obvious connection and love, between them, transcended any wrinkles or stretch marks.

Aug 24 10 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Posts: 9785

Brooklyn, New York, US

Older to me would mean 60+ 40s would be too young.
Whats the point of shooting someone older than PSing the hell out of them into something they are not ??
Seems a bit backwards to me. To each his own I say but I dont follow your thinking ??
I hope to shoot a very popular 59 yr art model soon before the summer weather runs out.

Aug 24 10 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Posts: 4447

Escondido, California, US

Vincent Wolff wrote:
I think it's great that women at our age have that kind of confidence.

Hey, wait, who said they are "our age" ?
-Don

PS: OK, she was actually YOUNGER than me !

Aug 24 10 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Posts: 7208

Norman, Oklahoma, US

No different than a 20 year old.  I might not be as careful checking proof of age though.

Aug 24 10 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Posts: 4447

Escondido, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Older to me would mean 60+ 40s would be too young.
Whats the point of shooting someone older than PSing the hell out of them into something they are not ??
Seems a bit backwards to me. To each his own I say but I dont follow your thinking ??
I hope to shoot a very popular 59 yr art model soon before the summer weather runs out.

It's called art, and the love of creating a beautiful image, no matter how it is arrived at. Having come from a background as an art major, it is natural for me to "take license".
-Don
EDIT: Jantana was AMAZINGLY beautiful to start with, I just wanted to depict her as she probably looked 25 years earlier. It was fun, and artistically, very satisfying.

Aug 24 10 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Posts: 10591

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've often asked new or hopeful pro photographers just this question.  It isn't much of a test of a photographer's skill to photograph an 18 or 20 year old and make her look good in the photo. But what happens when ant overweight 59 year old with a wart on her nose and a large surgical scar on her belly wants to pay for a nude shoot. Do you turn down her money?

I have what I call y permanent collection, somethong over 5000 photos of women whose average age is about 40. Most of those range between 30 and 50 and only a handfull are models. The rest are everyday women from all walks of life being photographed nude for the first time. There are no real secrets about photographing more mature women, just learn to truly 'see' them and recognize what is photogenic and may not be. A pose which stretches out the torso can correct a multitude of potential problems.

This lady is about 45.
http://www.distinctiveimages.com/standing/pages/205.htm - 18+

Aug 24 10 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Posts: 3965

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I don't photograph the ones that look like grannys!     smile

I know a couple of "grannys" that put to shame many in their late 20's - early 30's. These in particular are in their early 40's... yeah, they started young but have held up really well!

I know, useless without pics... working on getting one of them nekkid soon!

Aug 24 10 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Eric Lauritzen

Posts: 1272

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

If they are going to be retouched to look like they are 30 or under why not just get a model that is 30 who you can retouch to look 20?

I do not think there could be a rule - it all depends on what is being accomplished.

Here's a article on having to do with retouching photos of mature women:

http://blog.avenaim.com/2010/02/16/to-r … o-retouch/

Aug 24 10 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Rebel Photo

Posts: 11446

Florence, South Carolina, US

Eric Lauritzen wrote:
If they are going to be retouched to look like they are 30 or under why not just get a model that is 30 who you can retouch to look 20?

I do not think there could be a rule - it all depends on what is being accomplished.

Here's a article on having to do with retouching photos of mature women:

http://blog.avenaim.com/2010/02/16/to-r … o-retouch/

some of us actually have clients/non-models....or can't be all that choosy  tongue
good blog BTW

anyway..
great thread, thanks all! I'm photographing my grammar school sweetheart and lover  .... finally!

Aug 24 10 10:36 pm Link

Model

Sophie LaRae

Posts: 290

Nashville, Tennessee, US

No, please do check our id for proof of age (even if you are faking it)...that is what really puts a smile on our face.....and that won't be fake. smile

Aug 25 10 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

CFL Photographics

Posts: 289

Minneola, Florida, US

I'm curious to know this as well. A lot of non-model older women want to get sexy pics done for their hubby's on Valentine's day, so I'd like to learn and practice.

I do agree that a lot has to do with the condition on the woman, has she excercised regularly, maintained a steady weight, how many kids has she had, etc. Usually if a woman has had to drop 20-40 lbs with-in the last 12 to 24 months the skin will not be as smooth and other issues will be present.

Aug 25 10 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

JD200

Posts: 424

Dallas, Texas, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
.


How much retouching? or is it a faux pas to take off 20 years?

What's your take on the subject?

Aug 25 10 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10557

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

my take on it is slightly different. For me retouching is retouching.  Some 19-year old with acne scars wants porcelain skin it's no different than a 49 year old wanting to smooth out a few crows feet.  In some cases the smoothing out is easier to do than the porcelain skin or the 'half-porcelain'  yes I got a request for half today and I'm not sure what that means?

  Flattering lighting is flattering lighting no matter what the age.  working with gravity and not against it.  If the customer wants something and is paying for it...

Aug 25 10 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

RiverGrizzly

Posts: 688

Annandale, New Jersey, US

Kevin Russo Photography wrote:
I think it depends on the subject, The woman that I have photographed have been in excellent shape.

I can't say that soft lighting is "Best" but it does tend to be more flattering, in my opinion.

Thank you for the compliment it is appreciated.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
______________________________________
Got Portraits ???
Kevin Russo Photography
www.KR-Photos.Com
Kevin@KR-Photos.Com
We look forward to working with you.

I hate you Kevin Russo becuase you shot Jess Hoffman before I did and you did such a supurb job with every image, as you usually do, she'll never shoot with me now.

BTW, my wife's been 29 for many, many years now so I better learn fast.

John ==

Aug 25 10 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

bastardartist

Posts: 287

Los Angeles, California, US

I never retouch. Censoring such beauty is against the law!

Aug 25 10 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

bastardartist

Posts: 287

Los Angeles, California, US

I never retouch. Censoring such beauty is against the law!

Aug 25 10 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Posts: 10637

Clearwater, Florida, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
...

How much retouching? or is it a faux pas to take off 20 years?
...

If they are asking for it and paying for it, no.

If you are doing it for your own purposes, it's a lot easier to start with a younger model.

Aug 25 10 09:08 pm Link

Model

Carmen the MILF

Posts: 964

Sanford, North Carolina, US

just ask....we'll tell you our bad sides....lol

Aug 25 10 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

wynnesome

Posts: 5431

Long Beach, California, US

There are really two very different schools of thought here.

1. You're shooting "older" women who want to be made to look younger in their photos. In this case, a lot of careful posing and lighting is required, to minimize flaws of skin, face, and figure in camera, and then you'll need to retouch from there.

2. You're shooting "older" women who are happy with themselves and comfortable with how they look at this point in their life. The aim on both sides is for images that show the model as she really is, not as she "wishes" she looked like.

It's pretty important to be on the same page for which of these cases applies.

Incidentally, same thing really applies to any model and any shoot. Are you trying to create an idealized image? Or are you trying to "capture" a person's natural beauty as they appear in life?

Aug 25 10 09:13 pm Link

Model

MissSybarite

Posts: 11863

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 25 10 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Manuel Rego II

Posts: 434

Attleboro, Massachusetts, US

Use lots of diffusion.

I've shot quite a few "older" women.  The general rule of thumb is not to use harsh lighting on them.  Every flaw will pop right out in the image if you do.  Use large softboxes, bounce lights off of surfaces, use natural light, etc.

A good makeup artist is a valuable asset here too.

Depending on your subject, use flags and reflectors to draw attention to your subject's strong points and to minimize attention to their flaws.

It takes practice but once you get the techniques down, it's pretty easy to make an older individual look their best.

Rebel Photo wrote:
....let's discuss the techniques. (links acceptable) There are many women of this age group that look fantastic, so what are the do's and don'ts of photographing older women (40s-50s) in the nude. Is there a difference?


I've seen some images that would make a priapism shrivel permanently, while others were quite beautifully done.


How much retouching? or is it a faux pas to take off 20 years?

What's your take on the subject?

Aug 25 10 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dev

Posts: 310

Pleasanton, California, US

Kevin Russo Photography wrote:
Minimal retouching but that is typical of my work,  I use the healing brush for blemishes and just a slight amount of dynamic skin softening from  Nik Color FX Pro.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
______________________________________

I agree with Kevin.  I don't want to make them look 20+ yrs younger, just appreciate their beauty and make them smile at the results.
Published in : Project 40+: Mature and SEXY....
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/481271
Published in: Project 40+: Mature & Sexy (Book 2a)...
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1112613
Published in: Project 40+: Mature & Sexy (Book 2b)...
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1112799

smile

Aug 25 10 09:21 pm Link

Aug 25 10 09:26 pm Link

Model

Nicki Rogers

Posts: 10

Asheville, North Carolina, US

All you photogs, attention, some of us "grannies" as you call us have less photo shopping in our portfolios than our 20 year old counterparts. Most of my pics are unretouched proofs! See for yourself!  I  am available for work too, just drop me a line!

Nicki

Aug 25 10 09:39 pm Link