Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup Artist Contracts for ASSISTANTS

Makeup Artist

Allie Underwood

Manitou Springs, Colorado, US

I did a search for this subject and didn't find anything specific to what I'm looking to find out.

I just relocated to Colorado and I am in the process of interviewing assistants for when I have wedding parties that are too big to handle by myself.

So, here's the thing....back in Connecticut I had an assistant who didn't understand that she was my ASSISTANT. She thought I was REFERRING her extra work I couldn't handle. I must have explained it to her in person, on the phone, and in writing over 20 times. I explained to her that, because I was the one booking the brides, covering the overhead, collecting the payments, and assuming ALL the risk, she was my SUBCONTRACTOR for which she would be paid (quite handsomely by the way) BY ME IN CASH for her assistance with bridal parties too large for me to handle alone.

Needless to say, we parted ways, but I absolutely do not want this to happen again. So I am starting to book a lot of weddings, and I find myself once again needing to find assistants. So, I figure I need to find a contract, or compose one myself, that basically states that the person in question will be my subcontractor, representing my business, stipulate the rate of pay and how she will be expected to dress and behave on a job.

Has anyone ever seen a contract like this? And if so, could you point me in that direction? I'm not afraid to tweak it to fit my specific set of circumstances, but I would love to find a good general basic contract from which to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sep 18 10 05:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LizW_Makeup

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'll be interested to see responses. I recently started assisting a local artist - I've assisted with two bridal parties so far, and it's a really nice way to work weddings. I haven't yet been asked to sign a contract like this, but I would if she wanted me to.

Sep 18 10 08:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tina at Verde Beauty

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Bumpy Bump Bump!

I REALLY wanna know about this too! I have the same issue with subcontractors!

Sep 18 10 09:21 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

LeStylist

Nashville, Tennessee, US

today it's VERY difficult to arrange this sort of relationship.  there are so many variable...and unless you work in a salon with ppl on a regular basis..as a freelancer, and actualy as a salon worker too...alas, it is just very difficult to find ppl to trust.  i just refer now....i no longer subcontract.  it's too cutthroat here, and also...you cannot trust others as much as you'd like in this economy and the fact ppl have no scruples much. hmm

Sep 18 10 10:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Hampton

Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia

I have a copy of one!

I worked as an assistant in 2008 for a bridal company. It didn't work out but I kept my copy of the contract.

Not long after we parted ways I started working for another bridal company. We don't have a contract agreement, but I know I work for that company and it has worked out well.

I will remove all of the personal details and get it scanned in the morning. Hopefully it will help you all out smile

Sep 19 10 04:38 am Link

Photographer

James Ryder

Los Angeles, California, US

There is a huge difference between a subcontractor and an assistant. It sounds like you want a team of artists (licensed professionals) that you can call on to provide services when needed. Is that the case or do you need an assistant (like a student) to make you more efficient? Usually bridal services do not fall under the "theatrical umbrella" and in some states you need a license to provide hair and make-up services for pay to the general public in or out of a salon unless you are doing product demos. Are you licensed in Colorado and do you have a business like a salon? A contract for hire can vary vastly depending on your situation. Are you an employer providing workers comp or an agent, etc.. Do you carry business liability insurance or will your "assistants" be responsible for damages if they spill something on a dress or injure someone. A good attorney might be the answer to make sure you are covering yourself. You should also call the state board of cosmetology to see what the licensing requirements are in your state for this type of business. A contract could come back to haunt you if you are providing services without a license. You are asking for legal advice and I doubt many here are qualified to give it.

Sep 19 10 06:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

MelodyMoher

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, US

RYDER make-up labs wrote:
There is a huge difference between a subcontractor and an assistant. It sounds like you want a team of artists (licensed professionals) that you can call on to provide services when needed. Is that the case or do you need an assistant (like a student) to make you more efficient. Usually bridal services do not fall under the "theatrical umbrella" and in some states you need a license to provide hair and make-up services for pay to the general public in or out of a salon unless you are doing product demos. Are you licensed in Colorado and do you have a business like a salon? A contract for hire can vary vastly depending on your situation. Are you an employer providing workers comp or an agent, etc.. Do you carry business liability insurance or will your "assistants" be responsible for damages if they spill something on a dress or injure someone. A good attorney might be the answer to make sure you are covering yourself. You should also call the state board of cosmetology to see what the licensing requirements are in your state for this type of business. A contract could come back to haunt you if you are providing services without a license. You are asking for legal advice and I doubt many here are qualified to give it.

+1 great advice and questions.

Sep 19 10 07:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kristen S Makeup

Plymouth, Massachusetts, US

I do a lot of this kind of work as an assistant for a bridal company.  It was made very clear to me in the beginning that I was a subcontractor, and she refers to herself as almost an "agent" for the company because she does the scheduling, negotiates the rates, and doles out the money.  She gives us 1099s at the end of the year. 

We don't have a written contract with her or a no compete clause.  We don't have a dress code, but everyone on our team has the smarts to show up dressed appropriately.  We discussed her expectations in the initial conversation and the audition.  If anyone doesn't honor the agreement, or just simply doesn't work out, they not scheduled any more. 

She does carry liability insurance on us.  I'm not sure of any other insurances she carries, but again, that's something she handles and comes out of  her take from each job.

Sep 19 10 10:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Allie Underwood

Thanks for all the input! Especially you, Kristen! And Danielle, thank you so much for being willing to forward a copy of your contract to me! My email address is [email protected].

Sep 19 10 10:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

CEHV

Walnut Creek, California, US

I just had a similar problem a while back
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 239&page=1

To get a bunch of assistant contracts for you to look at you might want to ask in the photographer's forum for second shooter contracts.  Almost all the photographer's I know who use second shooter's require a contract to be signed.  The contracts are all independent contractor contracts and they state a dress code, have a no poaching clause etc. 

Essentially an assistant is like a second shooter to a makeup artist because they are there to support you.

Sep 19 10 05:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

Los Angeles, California, US

Allie Underwood wrote:
Thanks for all the input! Especially you, Kristen! And Danielle, thank you so much for being willing to forward a copy of your contract to me! My email address is [email protected].

hmmmm....trying to think of people I can send your way.....so you dont have to worry as much wink

ill PM you when i think of a few

Sep 19 10 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Allie Underwood

bump

Sep 21 10 08:22 pm Link

Model

Nicole_Fae

Bloomington, Minnesota, US

Hi Ladies,
I would be interested to see the contacts/non competes that you have created that work with your business models. If anyone would be interested in sharing with me, I'd like to be sure that I am being fair with my artists based on what other artists are doing in different markets. [email protected]

Also, I have a question for you, is it necessary for us to also have a written contract with the clients that we send our artists out to meet? I know that it should be assumed that they should reach out to us in the future if they want to rebook our artists, business is business and as we all know you have to have things in writing.

Thanks
Nicole Fae

Sep 22 14 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Have you checked with the forms available from pro resources, like ASMP? While it is a photographer's resource, there are many forms available, potentially including those for MUA's, along with assistants, stylists, and other related services to the pro photog.

Sep 22 14 09:03 am Link