Forums > Photography Talk > To get skin to "Glisten" - Baby Oil?

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pam Cooking Spray....spray it on, rub it in, wash it off.  Just be careful not to get it in the ends of your hair or it'll end up looking greasy.

Aug 11 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
(SIGH....)

Take a science class someday - or ask any 6th grader who has.

https://www.scienceclarified.com/images/uesc_04_img0179.jpg

.... for the science 101 challenged - Water is on the bottom because it is "heavier" than oil, and the cork on top is lighter than the oil it is floating on.  Google "density."

-Glenn

well, Dr Science you gave the correct answer  but perhaps accidentally.  it is not the weight that places water at the bottom, but rather density.  mass per unit volume.  since you seemed so cocksure of yourself this just HAD to be pointed out smile

while we are at it the refining industry calls it catalytic cracking.  you may have seen those tall stacks at a refinery.  compounds of varied boiling points- or vapor pressures are sucked off the stack at different points.  gasoline is a mixture of several organic compounds.

Aug 11 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
I would like to do an artistic nude shoot with the model having "glistening" skin. My first thought is ask her to put on baby oil. Has anyone done this? Does if cause light to refract off the skin in a way that ruins the effect in a photo? Is it a pain in the neck? Is there a good alternative to baby oil that will accomplish the same thing?

I saw it posted somewhere to use "Pam cooking spray" and it sounded gross.  I went to a photo shoot and wouldn'tcha know it. . .there was a can of it there so I guess it's true.

Aug 11 06 01:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Los Angeles, California, US

The Best thing in the world is Ban De Sole gel... it has a less greasy thick looking shine to it.. There it is, I gave you my secret!!! &&&&& If you were to use it with water applied on the skin after the use of the gel then it beads up well & holds the beads of water....... AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Aug 11 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Z_Photo wrote:
well, Dr Science you gave the correct answer  but perhaps accidentally.  it is not the weight that places water at the bottom, but rather density.  mass per unit volume.  since you seemed so cocksure of yourself this just HAD to be pointed out smile

Nothing wrong with my explanation exactly as I said it.  Density determines weight.

BOYANCY FORCE: This is the force that causes some objects to float in water. Suppose you want to dissolve 1 cubic cm of oil in water. For this to happen, the oil has to displace 1 cubic cm of water. The buoyancy force on the oil is equal to the weight of that 1 cubic cm of water. Oil is less dense than water, so 1 cubic cm of oil weighs less than 1 cubic cm of water. Therefore, the upward buoyancy force on the oil, which is equal to the weight of water displaced, is greater than the downward force of gravity on the oil, also known as the weight of the oil. This inequality of forces causes the oil to rise in the water. If the oil were denser than the water, the oil's weight (the downward force) would exceed the buoyancy force (the upward force), and the oil would sink in the water.

by: Philip Zell, Ph.D. Physics, ACT, Inc.

Z_Photo wrote:
while we are at it the refining industry calls it catalytic cracking.  you may have seen those tall stacks at a refinery.  compounds of varied boiling points- or vapor pressures are sucked off the stack at different points.  gasoline is a mixture of several organic compounds.

correct: Mineral Oil is a by-product of gasoline production and this is a partial answer as to how it is done.

-Glenn

Aug 11 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

emkay media design

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Glenn Francis has put together the perfect answer in his post.

I have spent considerable time with physique models and body builders while working as one and the trade secret was..................almond oil. It lets off a moderate sheen that is not accelerated by too much light and does not reflect so you can keep details/shadows. Everyone would smirk when an individual would start unpacking and low and behold...baby oil. Baby Oil is highly reflective and will blow out your highlights, even with dark complexions. Almond Oil my friend. It's lightly scented, comfortable, applies and absorbs evenly.

Unless of course you want the highlights blown out and your model to look wet.
From your original post it appears you want a sheen.
Go with Almond Oil.

Yes I am new here.

Aug 11 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

emkay media design wrote:
Glenn Francis has put together the perfect answer in his post.

I have spent considerable time with physique models and body builders while working as one and the trade secret was..................almond oil. It lets off a moderate sheen that is not accelerated by too much light and does not reflect so you can keep details/shadows. Everyone would smirk when an individual would start unpacking and low and behold...baby oil. Baby Oil is highly reflective and will blow out your highlights, even with dark complexions. Almond Oil my friend. It's lightly scented, comfortable, applies and absorbs evenly.

Unless of course you want the highlights blown out and your model to look wet.
From your original post it appears you want a sheen.
Go with Almond Oil.

Yes I am new here.

Good to know someone here knows their stuff.  Almond oil would be my first choice of "consumable" cooking oils.  Almond oil is the primary nut oil ingredient of the Bio-Tone brand massage oil that I use.  When I used to teach massage, we used almond oil alot.

-Glenn

Aug 11 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mock

New York, New York, US

what about water base lubricant???

Dec 18 14 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Baby oil gel sprayed with a 50/50 mixture of water and glycerine.

Dec 18 14 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

8 year old thread.  Holy crap!

Dec 18 14 03:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Wow... entertaining post... I would go down a different route and use a finely milled pigment... using loose pigments for highlighting the face work perfectly well.. to cover a larger area I would pop some in a spray water bottle give a shake and spray to desire areas... Avoiding clothes and such...

i am sure everyone has their own opinions on what works and what doesnt and have their own tested methods...

Dec 18 14 04:30 am Link

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

Palma, Balearic Islands, Spain

Dec 19 14 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

This thread on another forum might be of interest:  Models: Please DO NOT USE BABY OIL.

Dec 20 14 08:52 am Link