Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Building a makeup station. HELP!!!!!

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Posts: 15723

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm building a makeup station in my studio and I would like to hear from you makeup artists to help me with the lighting.

I've got a large mirror on the wall and I'm wondering about what kind of lights to use. I want LOTS of light but am worried about the heat.  What do you prefer? What help can you offer?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 25 10 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

Posts: 5426

New York, New York, US

Daylight temperature neon or LED all around the mirror?

Dec 25 10 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Posts: 5214

Pomona, California, US

This could give you ideas for station
http://www.iowabeauty.com/html/cabinets.html

http://www.belvedere.com/product_famili … &TypeID=13

Natural light light is good, nothing cool or too warm....
No matter what type of light, do test shots, let the make up artist know what kind of lights your using

Dec 25 10 07:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Posts: 548

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I'm building a makeup station in my studio and I would like to hear from you makeup artists to help me with the lighting.

I've got a large mirror on the wall and I'm wondering about what kind of lights to use. I want LOTS of light but am worried about the heat.  What do you prefer? What help can you offer?

Thanks in advance.

See Portable Lighting. In general a large source, diffuse, continuous spectrum and bright light is desirable for make-up application.

Dec 25 10 07:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

RYDER make-up labs

Posts: 270

Beverly Hills, California, US

The make-up trailers used for motion picture production alternate fluorescent tubes. Two on each side and two on the top. 3 day lights and 3 tungsten balanced lights. By alternating warm and cool lights around the mirror you get neutral light. http://www.moviemovers.com/mh502.htm

Star Wagons has recently designed a trailer with both fluorescent and halogen lighting, "to allow for both daylight and tungsten lit scenarios". http://www.starwaggons.com/site/index.p … 40_ft_mg/#

I worked in one of the new Star Waggons and the halogen lights did not give the soft even result that you get with all fluorescents.

Another option is to use full spectrum natural light. Vitalights are great for make-up and there is no need to alternate warm and cool tubes. http://www.lightbulbkenny.com/vitalite. … bAodvy7log

Dec 26 10 05:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tai MUA

Posts: 783

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RYDER make-up labs wrote:
The make-up trailers used for motion picture production alternate fluorescent tubes. Two on each side and two on the top. 3 day lights and 3 tungsten balanced lights. By alternating warm and cool lights around the mirror you get neutral light. http://www.moviemovers.com/mh502.htm

Star Wagons has recently designed a trailer with both fluorescent and halogen lighting, "to allow for both daylight and tungsten lit scenarios". http://www.starwaggons.com/site/index.p … 40_ft_mg/#

I worked in one of the new Star Waggons and the halogen lights did not give the soft even result that you get with all fluorescents.

Another option is to use full spectrum natural light. Vitalights are great for make-up and there is no need to alternate warm and cool tubes. http://www.lightbulbkenny.com/vitalite. … bAodvy7log

Wow I love those trailers!

Dec 27 10 12:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupbyTrish

Posts: 660

Hershey, Pennsylvania, US

Since we are on the subject any makeup artist have your personal studio at home?  I want to create one since I have an extra room.  Would love any links or ideas where to get some of the things.

Dec 27 10 11:52 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Posts: 5382

Lake City, Florida, US

I have wondered if having these around the mirror:

http://www.adorama.com/AZV11465512.html

Would work. Daylight balanced, cool.

Dec 27 10 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Posts: 548

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MakeupbyTrish wrote:
Since we are on the subject any makeup artist have your personal studio at home?  I want to create one since I have an extra room.  Would love any links or ideas where to get some of the things.

I have my own light and chair which I take with me on shoots since I've found that many studios just don't have the type of lighting I want. I chose the lighting and chair for maximum portability. Easy to set up at home or take with you. I use a Lowel Omni-light with a super spot reflector and a Tota-brella to give me a broad, bright source of light (500w, 3200K). It is mounted on a Manfrotto 1005BAC Ranker Stand so I can position it as needed. The light is continuous spectrum (black body radiation) and is somewhat less inclined to produce metameric failure since many sources of light used in photography are or closely match continuous spectrum light. For make-up application you want a bright source that does not create deep shadows. Here is the light and umbrella set up mounted on a C-stand.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/cas_sim/lighting2.jpg

Fluorescent lamps emit a spectrum with spikes. Here is the spectrum of a typical natural sunlight fluorescent.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/Spectra-Philips_32T8_natural_sunshine_fluorescent_light.png/800px-Spectra-Philips_32T8_natural_sunshine_fluorescent_light.png

Compare with the smooth curves from a black body (halogen lights and the sun are two examples). http://schools-wikipedia.org/images/705/70553.png

The chair is a director's style, bar stool height in black. I purchased it from Pier One (price about $100). It is comfortable to sit on (fabric seat and back) and holds the model high enough so I can work on him/her without bending over. The chair is similar to this one. http://www.images.asidatabuilder.com/images/prodbigimgs/5390000/5396277.jpg

Dec 27 10 03:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Posts: 1915

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

MakeupbyTrish wrote:
Since we are on the subject any makeup artist have your personal studio at home?  I want to create one since I have an extra room.  Would love any links or ideas where to get some of the things.

I'm also considering setting up a makeup studio at home so this information will be very helpful.
Thanks, Barry, for the details of your setup.

Dec 27 10 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

AMDG Fine Arts

Posts: 10

Rockport, Massachusetts, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I'm building a makeup station in my studio and I would like to hear from you makeup artists to help me with the lighting.

I've got a large mirror on the wall and I'm wondering about what kind of lights to use. I want LOTS of light but am worried about the heat.  What do you prefer? What help can you offer?

Thanks in advance.

I am a photographer, but I often do make-up as well for some of my on shoots to get the make-up perfectly what is needed at times. I tend to go super light on cosmetics are I want the persons skin to shine and almost be radiant on the camera, but I get this radiance from the skin, not form the make-up. I do extremely subtle make-up, almost to the point of the make-up being so light that you can not see it.

I prefer to shoot using continuous lighting, preferable hot lights (tungsten) as this arms the skin, and provides with a creamier complexion (but not if I use heavy applications of MU).

hen I apply MU, I use two large soft-box, set 90 degrees apart to light the person, and use a 1000 watt bulb in each fixture, in a 36x48 white or silver soft-box (Wescott or Photoflex) and this softens and spreads the light out really well.

If I need a smaller lighting source then I use the smaller 28x32 inch sized boxes, and only a 500 watt bulb in each, but have found it unwise to go much smaller then this.

Mar 27 13 02:29 pm Link