Forums > General Industry > Nudes, how much should I have to pay?

Photographer

NicRedding

Charleston, South Carolina, US

As a photographer I have shot a decent amount of nudes without ever having to pay anything other than TFCD.

Now I am being asked to pay $100 an hour to shoot nudes with the models I have asked, is that standard or is it just because I am considered maybe a little bit of a newbie?

Models what do you typically charge to shoot nude (and if you don't want to answer on here you can always just message me your thoughts).

thanks!

Jan 05 11 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

NicRedding wrote:
As a photographer I have shot a decent amount of nudes without ever having to pay anything other than TFCD.

Now I am being asked to pay $100 an hour to shoot nudes with the models I have asked, is that standard or is it just because I am considered maybe a little bit of a newbie?

Models what do you typically charge to shoot nude (and if you don't want to answer on here you can always just message me your thoughts).

thanks!

It depends on whether you are looking for an actual model or just a girl who wants to take her clothes off. You would need to pay more to get someone in the former category.

Also, models and non-models alike largely pluck 'rates' out of the air, so don't shy away from negotiation.

Jan 05 11 02:04 pm Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Sending you a message, Nic. smile

Jan 05 11 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

no name no more

Brooklyn, New York, US

Most rates will vary based on the extent of nudity that you want them to model for. Ex: implied nudes will usually cost less than erotic, and erotic will cost less than adult, and so on

Jan 05 11 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gaze at Photography

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US

Depends on her level of experience and limits, how bad she wants to shoot with you, and how bad you want to shoot with her...  all of these variables to be concidered.

But $100 an hour is a good starting point for negotiating up or down from there...

Jan 05 11 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

NicRedding

ok thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it.  Also I guess I didn't realize negotiating was part of the process.

Jan 05 11 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

That's about average. Varies depending on location, how good a model they are, how experienced they are, how much in demand they are, and the extent of the nudity.

I've paid everywhere from $35.00 an hour for artistic nudes in Memphis to $125.00 an hour with a four hour minimum at FetishCon in Tampa.

Jan 05 11 02:18 pm Link

Model

Rebecca Evans

Reno, Nevada, US

I actually do think that's about average. 
Even for implieds I'm offered between $100 and $120 per hour.  It ALL depends on the situation, the parties involved, location, and what the images will be used for.
I also TF implieds all the time.

Many people will do nudes for free.  Without badgering, it doesn't hurt to politely ask, nor does it hurt to negotiate.

Jan 05 11 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

NicRedding

i guess its kind of a hard question to ask, because no one wants to get pinned down by a number.

Jan 05 11 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

How much you should have to pay is a matter of opinion.

If you want my opinion, you should pay only if you are going to make money off the content, otherwise do what a lot of other photographers do and shoot for trade.

Jan 05 11 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dastardly Dave

Carver, Massachusetts, US

He who says a number first loses.

Jan 05 11 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

It depends on the model, but $100 an hour is a pretty standard rate I see quoted for nudes.

Sometimes models will negotiate if they like your work. I've never paid $100/hour. If a model is set on getting that much money, I pass.

Jan 05 11 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Big Pine Key, Florida, US

NicRedding wrote:

Personally I am amazed...I can't seem to get one at all for under $100, even then they won't travel down to the Florida Keys for the shoot.

thanks!

Couldn't say for sure...

Jan 05 11 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

NicRedding wrote:

I have gotten that once too. I told her:

"Oh thank you, but no thanks. I have other candidates already."

Jan 05 11 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

William Steel

Laguna Beach, California, US

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wstifel/Facefinger.jpg

Jan 05 11 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shop around you can do a lot better

Jan 05 11 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

NicRedding

Swank Photography wrote:

NicRedding wrote:

Personally I am amazed...I can't seem to get one at all for under $100, even then they won't travel down to the Florida Keys for the shoot.

Couldn't say for sure...

well i guess i should add, the nudes i shot without paying were shot with friends who wanted to go those kind of photos as much as i did, so it was an even trade.

Jan 05 11 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Rates for nudes depend on a lot of things:

1) What type of nudes?
2) For what are you using them? (e.g. portfolio building, web content, publication . . .etc.)
3) How experienced is the model?
4) Will you be giving the model images to use? AND does she even WANT them?
5) Your geographic location

and so on . . .

I've seen models advertise for art posing/reference shots (from $25-$40/hour,) up through glamour shots for portfolio use ($50-$125/hour) up through erotic web content ($75 - $200/hour)

There are huge ranges and what you pay depends on who you're using and what you need.  There's generally some room for negotiation and almost always multi-hour discounts.

Jan 05 11 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've paid anywhere from $30/hour to $125/hour and often there's a slightly discounted half-day rate. when i have funds i don't mind paying although i've done some nudes on trade as well.

you can always make them an offer and see what happens. maybe if they're not fully booked they'll decide to take it.

Jan 05 11 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Thornton Harris

San Francisco, California, US

http://thomashammel.com/rate.jpg

Jan 05 11 03:28 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

NicRedding wrote:
ok thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it.  Also I guess I didn't realize negotiating was part of the process.

I used to live and work in the Southeast, and I will just say that, for your area, $100 per hour seems like a lot. Even as an experienced nude model, living in the south, I was lucky to get $50 per hour for arts nudes and glamor - and when I say "lucky to get" that, I DO mean lucky.

Jan 05 11 03:31 pm Link

Model

Christie Gabriel

Chicago, Illinois, US

PM'ed you my rates and reasoning smile

Jan 05 11 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Thornton Harris wrote:

BRILLIANT!!!!

Jan 05 11 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Abdul Sharif

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Can't say i know the answer

Jan 05 11 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

In reality, exactly what you and the model comfortably agree upon.

smile

Jan 05 11 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Marathon, Florida, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

I used to live and work in the Southeast, and I will just say that, for your area, $100 per hour seems like a lot. Even as an experienced nude model, living in the south, I was lucky to get $50 per hour for arts nudes and glamor - and when I say "lucky to get" that, I DO mean lucky.

Agreed.

I'm in Savannah and my experience has been the average rate for experienced art models is nowhere near $100/hr. These are not just college kids with online portfolios, but women (and men) who do the work frequently, several times per week, for a wide variety of artists.

Jan 05 11 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If a "model" has different rates based on what is shown, as has been suggested, then I would say you are not talking with a model.  I would bet she also stops "modeling" when the song changes so shoot quickly.

A model is worth their rate or not based on their ability to model, and $100/hr for a good published model is not uncommon and worth it whether she is in a sweater or nude.  I would expect $50-75 would be more inline with average (for Atlanta)

Jan 05 11 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

J Kegley Photographer

Renton, Washington, US

My rates for fine art nudes ranged from 40-80 dollars an hour depending on the model.  Once I was forced to live on a disability income and social security, the models have been more willing to work for less such as images and/or copies of the table top books I produce.  All of the professional models I have seen in the area are 80-120 dollars at the regular nude photo shoots promoted via a meet-up group of some sort.  Check out the local Meet-up groups.  Here we have 4 photographers shooting in (3)5 minute intervals for an hour and then assisting the others with lights and reflectors.  Gives everyone a chance to see how others work, lets you meet some of the models you might not otherwise meet and negotiate privately with them after the session for a one on one session in the future

Jan 05 11 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

NicRedding wrote:
well i guess i should add, the nudes i shot without paying were shot with friends who wanted to go those kind of photos as much as i did, so it was an even trade.

I do get people who are willing to shoot nudes for TF*. Like you mentioned, you're just starting out, so that's going to be harder until you build up more of a port.

Some models feel like there is more of a reason for them to get paid for shooting nudes, and are more likely to do other types of shoots TF*. Some models care more about who they're working with and what the project is than whether it's clothed or not. It all depends on the person.

Jan 05 11 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

ESP NY

Southampton, New York, US

Dag, based on that chart, I've been paying WAY too much over the years :_(

Jan 05 11 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'd only pay that if I really liked the look of the model, and had verifiable work history / portfolio. Full commercial release would be a must also. I have paid that, but not to many.

Jan 05 11 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Thornton Harris wrote:

Some humour there but also, a not all that inaccurate, graph

Jan 05 11 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TFCD NY wrote:
Dag, based on that chart, I've been paying WAY too much over the years :_(

And you're dealing with a much higher class of models too. It shows in your work.
Eric smile

Jan 05 11 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Naples Photoart

Carlsbad, California, US

Models and Photographers sometimes have high standards.  The best work comes from both and neither are cheap!!!

Jan 05 11 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Stephen Markman wrote:
Rates for nudes depend on a lot of things:

1) What type of nudes?
2) For what are you using them? (e.g. portfolio building, web content, publication . . .etc.)
3) How experienced is the model?
4) Will you be giving the model images to use? AND does she even WANT them?
5) Your geographic location

and so on . . .

I've seen models advertise for art posing/reference shots (from $25-$40/hour,) up through glamour shots for portfolio use ($50-$125/hour) up through erotic web content ($75 - $200/hour)

There are huge ranges and what you pay depends on who you're using and what you need.  There's generally some room for negotiation and almost always multi-hour discounts.

That pretty much sums it up!

Jan 05 11 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

$100/hour is the rate the majority of experienced nude models I know tend to charge. Having said that, many of those models may negotiate a lower rate depending on the shoot. A stellar location or the photographer providing transportation or meals might help lower the rate. I know a few that charge more and rarely budge. On the other hand newbie models often overestimate their talent level (or the gullibility of photographers) and try to charge what experienced models charge. For instance I know one model that charged $150/hour the moment she turned 18. She was very cocky about her abilities and claimed to be worth it. (I later learned she bragged as to having posed nude many times as a minor..even for Jock Sturges.) Regardless of whether her claims were true, I'm guessing she didn't get many takers, because within a year she was charging $100/hour.

Jan 05 11 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

BodyartBabes

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Davepit wrote:

It depends on whether you are looking for an actual model or just a girl who wants to take her clothes off. You would need to pay more to get someone in the former category.

Also, models and non-models alike largely pluck 'rates' out of the air, so don't shy away from negotiation.

I only shoot nudes TF and always have.  Professional models which wanted to work with me had to make that choice.  But I prefer unknowns for most of my work.  I don't want recognition of the model to take away from the "image".

Its up to you.  But *most* nude rates are in the $20+/- range for non commercial or web (eg art) work.  Most commercial or web work us not per hour but per session/job based on the job

Jan 05 11 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

BlackArts - Jenna Black

Riverside, California, US

A normal rate ranges from her paying you $100/hr to you paying her $100/hr.

Of course, by "normal" I mean normal for the top 20% of Mayhemites. In The Real World you'll see people charging $2500 for a 45 minute boudoir shoot or pro models charging five, six, or seven figures for a shoot. If you could even imagine the money it would take to convince, say, Tyra Banks to come shoot with a newbie photographer, I would expect that to be even higher than she got working for some of the top magazines and designers our species has to offer.

I personally have never paid for a model to take her clothes off. I have paid models to put clothes on, because I was getting paid to shoot them that way. I offer models commission on print sales. Models who are very good and work well with me make money, because the shots turn out well and I put them in shows. Models who are not as fabulous do not tend to make money, because if a print isn't good enough to put in a show it lives its whole life in a webstore, where virtually none of my sales originate.

Some models do not want to be paid on commission basis, so they don't work with me. I don't tend to like to pay on an up-front basis, because if the shot doesn't sell I've thoroughly lost in life. So there is a very broad spectrum of really talented and beautiful models I will probably never work with. I'm ok with that.

If you offer $500/hr, a large number of the models on Mayhem will want to work with you. If you offer $50/hr, fewer models on the site will want to work with you. If you offer $5/hr even fewer will want to work with you. Determine how much money you are willing to part with in order to obtain a shoot with a particular model, and then offer her that figure. The less you have to offer a model (whether that's talent, money, free Disneyland tickets, etc), the smaller will grow your available talent pool. The more you have to offer, the bigger it grows. There's really no right answer though. Figure out what you want to pay, and see if you can get good talent for that amount. If you can't, consider raising it.

Jan 05 11 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Des Moines, Iowa, US

What's reasonable is what ever you are willing to pay and she's willing to accept.

What I've paid models for nude (art nude) has been roughly split between $30/hour and trade work.  Most of the trade models did not come from MM.

That's also based on a willingness to shoot them when I can get them and go without when I don't.

Jan 05 11 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Davepit wrote:

Not necessarily.

I've seen rates of $7.50/hr to $150/hour for good to fantastic models.  Many excellent models charge $35-$60 an hour.

Meanwhile, some "girls who want to be paid to take her clothes off" see the $100 and above rates, don't understand the skills they lack, and charge those rates.  And some fools apparently pay it, when they could get fantastic models for that rate.

The professional model would, generally, rather get $50-75 than nothing, and will adjust if the market calls for it in a specific situation.  The amateur may not.

Jan 05 11 05:50 pm Link