Forums > Model Colloquy > What made you decide to pose nude?

Photographer

A K Nicholas - Art Nude Photography

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I've asked models the question "What made you decide to pose nude? What were your first thoughts on it", and have had some interesting responses. I'd love to hear from some more.

Here are some favorites:

"When I discovered my mother had posed for Playboy, I wanted to pose nude too."

"It seems like I've always wanted to."

"I hadn't given it much though until you approached me, and I figured 'why not'."

"I saw the work of [xyz photographer/model] and could see myself in the picture.]

... so models, what made you decide to do your first nude shoot?

Feb 03 11 07:51 pm Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

At some point, I realized that my favorite images were nudes. Didn't make sense to stay clothed after that.

Feb 03 11 07:54 pm Link

Model

Sweet Romance

Buffalo, New York, US

Peer pressure

Feb 03 11 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Olivet, Michigan, US

Sweet Romance wrote:
Peer pressure

Must be an interesting peer group.

Feb 03 11 10:11 pm Link

Model

MadameKitty

Palmer - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

I had no qualms with it.

Photographer

David Hirsh

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sweet Romance wrote:
Peer pressure

Lovely port - I would shoot you. You do nudes well; not awkward at all. Would you travel to Hamilton? It's between Toronto and Niagara.

cheers,

David Hirsh

Model

John Ujjjjjjj Xghp

Ķızıltepa, Navoi, Uzbekistan

Curiosity.

Feb 03 11 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

K Couples and Etc

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm in great shape, been modeling for years, and was offered a lot of money to for a great project.

~I know this is my photographer profile, but I'm not kidding! ;P

Feb 03 11 10:16 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

I was pissed off and my friend needed someone to tie up.

I'm comfortable with myself. I'm more comfortable nude than I am clothed, honestly.

Feb 03 11 10:29 pm Link

Model

Ko K

Popping back in with the right face: yes-confident and comfortable, well paid and good for my resume.

Had a great time !

Feb 03 11 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

OpenMinds

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Nude Photo Guides wrote:
I've asked models the question "What made you decide to pose nude? What were your first thoughts on it", and have had some interesting responses. I'd love to hear from some more.

Here are some favorites:

"I hadn't given it much though until you approached me, and I figured 'why not'."

"I saw the work of [xyz photographer/model] and could see myself in the picture.]

You probably forgot:  "I wasn't getting any work with my clothes ON, so... "  wink

Feb 03 11 10:39 pm Link

Model

Dane Halo

I modelled since childhood, and grew up to not be in-shape enough for fashion, and commercial work didn't offer me creative liberty.  Nudity is awesome, and I have a fine art background.  Just made sense.

Clothes for the LOSE.

Feb 03 11 10:43 pm Link

Model

Rae Johnston

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I had the opportunity to work with Wayne Quilliam - an amazing artist. I was at a point in my life I decided to just take opportunities that came my way, I has always admired his work and really enjoyed the experience.

Afterwards I had a HUGE adrenalin rush and felt so much more confident, womanly and "at one" with nature....bit hippyish I know - but true!

It really helped me love my body again after having a baby as well. It did the opposite of what I thought it would do. Covering up made me more insecure.

Feb 03 11 10:46 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

OpenMinds wrote:

You probably forgot:  "I wasn't getting any work with my clothes ON, so... "  wink

Cynicism isn't always an endearing trait.

Feb 03 11 11:12 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I forgot all my clothes at home, and was running late, and refused to cancel on someone who drove over an hour to get to me. Nude was my only option.

Feb 04 11 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Cynicism isn't always an endearing trait.

Your statement is true but so is his.  There was a very funny posting many years ago when the photography boards were independant about the transition of a web model. It started with having no viable picutres to show and not getting many work offers to better pictures and getting some work offers and continued on. On each step the model got some work but it ebbed so she took the next step, got more work but eventually that ebbed, and took the next step, etc, etc.

Btw, if any member knows where I can find the list or has a copying of it I'd appreciate dropping me a note......thanks.

Feb 04 11 03:10 am Link

Model

MadameKitty

Palmer - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

Vector One Photography wrote:

Your statement is true but so is his.  There was a very funny posting many years ago when the photography boards were independant about the transition of a web model. It started with having no viable picutres to show and not getting many work offers to better pictures and getting some work offers and continued on. On each step the model got some work but it ebbed so she took the next step, got more work but eventually that ebbed, and took the next step, etc, etc.

Btw, if any member knows where I can find the list or has a copying of it I'd appreciate dropping me a note......thanks.

mmmkay...
that's a very generalized stereotype. since "everyone can do nudes", it takes talent to break through beyond "typical internet model".

Feb 04 11 03:16 am Link

Photographer

C Mirene

Toledo, Ohio, US

Sweet Romance wrote:
Peer pressure

I'm glad for your peer group.  They started an awesome thing.  You do some beautifil work.  smile

Feb 04 11 03:34 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I had modeled a few times for a local photography school doing workshops in the summer. After a few workshops with clothes (portraits, wedddings, etc), they called up and asked if I'd like to pose for a nude workshop. I said yes. That was that.

Feb 04 11 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I forgot all my clothes at home, and was running late, and refused to cancel on someone who drove over an hour to get to me. Nude was my only option.

Thank you for leaving your clothes home, we are all grateful for it.

Something similar happened with a model I worked with 5 years ago. She wanted a lingerie shoot and forgot all her panties. It seemed pointless to just wear a bra....

Feb 04 11 04:38 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I just wanted to at the time. now not so much but here and there, i'm sure it will change again wink

Feb 04 11 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

Nude Photo Guides wrote:

Here are some favorites:

The models i know , say it would help drive up their pic count LOL

Feb 04 11 05:25 am Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

6 years ago, a friend asked me to.
As an art student, I don't (and in fact can't) see nudity as a sexual thing. Its a form.
I'd never thought about it before, but his paintings and photographs were lovely, his concept was pretty interesting, and it sounded like a fun thing to do at the time. Life would see fit that without my even trying to make anything more of it, it exploded right underneath my feet.

Feb 04 11 06:20 am Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I don't have any nudes in my port yet but I am gonna do nudes because I am more comfortable with my body than I ever had been.

I also doing them to gain more experience with modeling in general.

Feb 04 11 06:25 am Link

Model

MissSybarite

Los Angeles, California, US

At my start I was asked in SF, then in NYC after a long hiatus I was asked again, now in SoCal I continue on big_smile

Feb 04 11 06:32 am Link

Model

Sophie LaRae

Avon, Montana, US

Because my co-workers at my day job then would have killed to look like me smile
And they would have burnt up the gossip lines if they knew:D

And I realized I looked good for my age and was comfortable with the genre. More comfortable doing than seeing the pics actually (which blew me away when I did see them) smile)

Feb 04 11 06:42 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I don't pose nude out of concern for the sensibilities of my models, but I really think the desire to do so, at least once, is very nearly universal for women, possibly less so for men.  And given the comfort, self-assurance and downright fun that the nude models that I've shot seem to get from the experience, I think it's a downright shame that our social mores force so many to repress that desire.  (end hijacking rant)

Feb 04 11 07:30 am Link

Model

JR Artistic

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Didn't really give it much thought. Shot with a few photographer/friends and I wanted to try a concept where nudity was required. I never thought "omg I'm a nude model" or thought it was weird at all.

Found most of the shoot concepts I had did not involve clothes. Therefore, a lot of what I shot was nude, because I wanted it to be. Eventually I got shoot offers where the photographer's work was not as strong as the work already in my portfolio, so they offered me money.

Feb 04 11 07:32 am Link

Model

l y n n e

Norwich, Connecticut, US

I haven't yet, but I plan to! The reasoning...? Curiosity, and the want to contribute to the art of it. I love the female body. :3

Feb 04 11 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I don't pose nude out of concern for the sensibilities of my models, but I really think the desire to do so, at least once, is very nearly universal for women, possibly less so for men.  And given the comfort, self-assurance and downright fun that the nude models that I've shot seem to get from the experience, I think it's a downright shame that our social mores force so many to repress that desire.  (end hijacking rant)

I have posed nude for several model friends. It was a role switch, they wanted to try their hand behind the camera and I thought it would be see what it was like in front of the camera. It was a good learning experience for both. They got to see how hard it was to control the lighting and exposure to get a good photo and I found how difficult it is to pose nude. It brought me new respect for nude models, it is a lot harder than it looks - especially for old men LOL!

It was fun, liberating and very natural. After a few minutes you "forget" you're naked.

P.S. Don't ask to see any, they will not see the light of day. No one wants to see me naked LOL

Feb 04 11 07:59 am Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Vector One Photography wrote:

I'm not saying it's not true. I'm just saying it's cynical. A lot of us pose nude because we enjoy it, not because we're desperate for money.

Feb 04 11 10:29 am Link

Model

E_V_A

Redondo Beach, California, US

I don't have any of my nudes in my port here, but I started doing it because I had always always wanted to be a playmate, and once I dropped my robe I had honestly never felt more comforadable, beautiful, or liberated ever!

Feb 04 11 08:03 pm Link

Digital Artist

Spimagry

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Wara Model wrote:

mmmkay...
that's a very generalized stereotype. since "everyone can do nudes", it takes talent to break through beyond "typical internet model".

You know... I believe you are be sarcastic... but... you would THINK everyone could do nudes.. but it's just not true.

Not to long ago I had a model WANT do do a nude shoot with me (yeah I know.. who asks photographer to get naked?) but nonetheless, It happened, I kept telling her, she doesn't have to prove anything to me and she doesn't have to do this at all if she doesn't want to (hopping she would back out)...

Well.. long story short, she didn't back out.. I got some pics.. and she was awkward the whole time... I think I just said "OK, I think we got what we need" at only about 30 min into the shoot... so we reviewed... she got some pics... and I found out right then and there.. everyone can do nudes.. BUT not everyone can do them well!

Feb 04 11 08:14 pm Link

Model

V I C T O R I A

Los Angeles, California, US

JR Artistic wrote:
Didn't really give it much thought. Shot with a few photographer/friends and I wanted to try a concept where nudity was required. I never thought "omg I'm a nude model" or thought it was weird at all.

Pretty much ditto to this. I've been acting since forever and modeling almost as long. A photographer whose work I loved contacted me about an idea, it required nudity, I did it. Poof.

I've always been extremely comfortable in my skin. Nudity was never a "thing" for me. No big deal really.

Feb 04 11 09:07 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Money.

But I never really seriously considered not posing nude.  The non-nude work I've done is mostly just playing dress-up and hardly worth consideration.

Feb 05 11 01:42 am Link

Photographer

photodorset

Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom

Isn't it just so much easier to do nudes. I've seen models struggling with huge suitcases but the nudes just show up wearing a couple of pieces of clothing and then just take them off.

I love this thread, some of the models look fantastic and yes, doing good nude work is a skill, sometimes harder than clothed shoots.

Feb 05 11 02:15 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The option of modeling with clothing was never there, and I never cared, so it didn't really matter. I was 22, had never modeled before - had never even thought about it - and a random guy approached me in a bar, with a business card and a portfolio, and asked if I wanted to model for art nudes. I wanted to very much, and set up a shoot with him a couple weeks later that worked out well. For the next couple of years, I casually modeled for arts schools, and a few photographers occasionally, but did not get into it seriously until 2007 or 2008, when I realized that people really, genuinely enjoyed shooting me, and that there might be potential to make income from it. Before then, I just never thought of myself as good-looking enough to be widely valued as a model.

Feb 05 11 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Mark Harris Photography

Edison, New Jersey, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
I have posed nude for several model friends. It was a role switch, they wanted to try their hand behind the camera and I thought it would be see what it was like in front of the camera. It was a good learning experience for both. They got to see how hard it was to control the lighting and exposure to get a good photo and I found how difficult it is to pose nude. It brought me new respect for nude models, it is a lot harder than it looks - especially for old men LOL!

It was fun, liberating and very natural. After a few minutes you "forget" you're naked.

P.S. Don't ask to see any, they will not see the light of day. No one wants to see me naked LOL

I took a class a few years ago where the first assignment was to create a nude self-portrait. The difference was we had to display them for the class for critique. Once they were up on the wall, and we started talking about them, I felt proud of the result and the feeling the process gave me.

You are correct, of course, that it does give you a different perspective on what our models must feel when they look at photographs of themselves nude. Like you, these will likely never be seen except for some very special viewers:-)

Feb 05 11 06:00 am Link

Model

OxanaA

Crestline, California, US

Answer = $

I took my daughter to a shoot in the park when she was 15.  A photographer asked my if I wanted to model and he would pay me.  I was always comfortable nude so said, "Why not".  I enjoy being nude so why not model nude, especially when I can make some money.

Feb 05 11 06:13 am Link

Model

JakeModel

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

OxanaA wrote:
Answer = $

I took my daughter to a shoot in the park when she was 15.  A photographer asked my if I wanted to model and he would pay me.  I was always comfortable nude so said, "Why not".  I enjoy being nude so why not model nude, especially when I can make some money.

Thank god Im not the only one doing it for the cash haha

Feb 05 11 08:28 am Link