Model

Lindsay Ryan

Los Angeles, California, US

Sabot Images wrote:

Oh good, I am not the only one. +1

lol, i'm not really a diva :\ but i dunno. i'd still say its worth a shot. maybe if i get on and act classy i'll have more respect rather than scaring off the photographers?

Jun 04 11 11:17 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Jenah Doucette
After the show, Jenah moved to New York to pursue modeling. It wasn't for her, as she writes on her MySpace page:

ANTM did little to prepare me for modeling. Real-life, naked in a room full of strangers, "come back when you lose 20 lbs" modeling. Maybe that makes me weak. I don't think it does…. Never do I want to live a life in which I'm concerned about being a size four. Ever.

Jun 04 11 11:36 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Robert Jewett wrote:

well she could of done plus size lol. i mean its not for everyone. more people should do their research rather than thinking "well im pretty so here we go!"

i mean its a HUGE industry but there are certain things for everyone.

Jun 04 11 11:38 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

i've thought of this but they see so many tapes! I want to be remembered as the girl who met them in person and wowed them away you know?

90% of the girls that make it on the show never attended a casting....but they did send in a tape.

It's not possible to wow them when you walk in...you're with hundreds of other girls. Unless you walk in and set something on fire, no one is going to remember you.

Jun 04 11 01:33 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Sabot Images wrote:

Good point, also check your portfolio and make sure every image shown is of great quality, poses and more fashion looks.

They care about height- they don't give two shits about  portfolio.

Jun 04 11 01:36 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

I've done fashion shows before. I sort of agree but at the same time I've never had a chance to have a "strong look." i was hired for most shows because of my natural look. a lot of the agents told me i look young but i'm not sure. I myself agree with you though

You're in Oklahoma. Not the fashion capital of any world.

Hell, you can get into "fashion" shows here in NYC at 5'7. None of them are any good and are basically shit done at clubs.

Let's just say there is a fashion show and then there is a "fashion" show. There are no fashion shows in OK. Just "fashion" shows.

Jun 04 11 01:38 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:

90% of the girls that make it on the show never attended a casting....but they did send in a tape.

It's not possible to wow them when you walk in...you're with hundreds of other girls. Unless you walk in and set something on fire, no one is going to remember you.

this is true, but this could also go the same with tape auditions. they sit there and watch millions of tapes but unless mine wows them it won't be remembered either hmm i'm just saying i'm better at actual auditions than sending in a tape begging them along with 36473657657653684 other girls to be on the show. I'm good with presence more so than filming myself.

Jun 04 11 01:38 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

this is true, but this could also go the same with tape auditions. they sit there and watch millions of tapes but unless mine wows them it won't be remembered either hmm i'm just saying i'm better at actual auditions than sending in a tape begging them along with 36473657657653684 other girls to be on the show. I'm good with presence more so than filming myself.

90% of the girls that made it on sent in a tape

That is all the information you need.

I work extensively in reality television. I know exactly what the casting directors want. You will have zero chance to show them that you might have what they want if you go to a casting. Zero.

Jun 04 11 01:39 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:

You're in Oklahoma. Not the fashion capital of any world.

Hell, you can get into "fashion" shows here in NYC at 5'7. None of them are any good and are basically shit done at clubs.

Let's just say there is a fashion show and then there is a "fashion" show. There are no fashion shows in OK. Just "fashion" shows.

I've done some in LA as well. i go back in forth, or at least i did until mom got ill. i'm trying to start back up but i want to do more NY things now to be taken seriously. I started just by being in friends clothing line shows, didn't really take it seriously kind of just modeled to have something to do but now I've really looked into and want to venture more with it and see what i can do. I do agree with you on that though. and its a bit unfortunate for a lot of other young people who actually have what it takes because really the only agencies we have here are modeling "schools" if you know what i mean. then they get burned off money and think the entire industry is a scam. but yes i know what you mean.

Jun 04 11 01:42 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Greg Kolack wrote:
However, in person you have a much better chance to act like a diva bitch from hell, which may be exactly what they are looking for...

Here's how their castings work (even when you're scouted)-

You are shuffled into a waiting room with the misfits of the world. You will either be brought into a room with 50 other girls where you will say your name, age, height and hometown in order to the camera. They instruct the girls not to give an attitude, and to just give their name, age, height and hometown. Girls that try to be cute or bitchy are removed immediately.

They narrow it down to up to 3 girls who will move to the next round.

In the next round (which sometimes when you're scouted you will go right to) you will be asked to wear a swimsuit, do a runway walk and tell the camera "why you are America's Next Top Model" and why you would be "good for a reality show".

Getting to the second round is extremely difficult.

Send in a tape and get picked? Flight to LA and immediate casting director meeting.

Jun 04 11 01:42 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:
okay well since i am around 5'7, im between it and 5'6 but much closer to 5'7 do you think i should change my height?

If you make it to the second round, they will measure you.

Jun 04 11 01:43 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:

90% of the girls that made it on sent in a tape

That is all the information you need.

I work extensively in reality television. I know exactly what the casting directors want. You will have zero chance to show them that you might have what they want if you go to a casting. Zero.

i'd give you a big hug if i could lol. this has helped me a lot. i'll try and see. basically really though i just want to know if i get on there will still be taken seriously. i know a lot of things on your model record can hold you back, is this show one of them?

Jun 04 11 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

EXPOSURE...............is EXPOSURE !

Jun 04 11 01:45 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

i'd give you a big hug if i could lol. this has helped me a lot. i'll try and see. basically really though i just want to know if i get on there will still be taken seriously. i know a lot of things on your model record can hold you back, is this show one of them?

Don't worry about bridges you are not in the vicinity of.

But since you asked....every single reality show is what you make of it. I'm very good friends with someone over at ANTM, and he and I have had this conversation before. Basically, if you know how to use it, it can be positive.

Reality is a whole different world. So many people think they can do it....no one has any idea what it's really about until they work in it. It will blow your mind.

Jun 04 11 01:46 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:

Here's how their castings work (even when you're scouted)-

You are shuffled into a waiting room with the misfits of the world. You will either be brought into a room with 50 other girls where you will say your name, age, height and hometown in order to the camera. They instruct the girls not to give an attitude, and to just give their name, age, height and hometown. Girls that try to be cute or bitchy are removed immediately.

They narrow it down to up to 3 girls who will move to the next round.

In the next round (which sometimes when you're scouted you will go right to) you will be asked to wear a swimsuit, do a runway walk and tell the camera "why you are America's Next Top Model" and why you would be "good for a reality show".

Getting to the second round is extremely difficult.

Send in a tape and get picked? Flight to LA and immediate casting director meeting.

just now saw this one. WOW, i'm starting to reconsider. but i'm not bad on turn downs. i'll probably do both if thats not against the rules. you have helped me so much! i'm starting to think though that i'd have better chances, luck, and gigs if i just submitted to an agency myself rather than this

Jun 04 11 01:49 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:

Don't worry about bridges you are not in the vicinity of.

But since you asked....every single reality show is what you make of it. I'm very good friends with someone over at ANTM, and he and I have had this conversation before. Basically, if you know how to use it, it can be positive.

Reality is a whole different world. So many people think they can do it....no one has any idea what it's really about until they work in it. It will blow your mind.

thats EXACTLY what i was thinking myself! it's one thing to get on there and act classy, i think that could work in someone favor. but it's going to be hard for you to do ANYTHING if your the psycho diva going nuts. right?

Jun 04 11 01:51 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

just now saw this one. WOW, i'm starting to reconsider. but i'm not bad on turn downs. i'll probably do both if thats not against the rules. you have helped me so much! i'm starting to think though that i'd have better chances, luck, and gigs if i just submitted to an agency myself rather than this

It depends what you want to do.

If you want to work with an agency and be a legit model, don't bother with ANTM.

If you want reality show fame, and you're willing to put in the work it requires, then give every single show a shot.

I will say this- you should read www.newmodels.com and get as much info. as you can from there. Never try to market yourself as the exception to the rule. Frankly, there are tons of 5'9, rail thin girls in NYC that will get the jobs first. The fashion industry doesn't need an exception.

There is a genre of modeling for everyone. You have to be realistic though.

Jun 04 11 01:54 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:
It depends what you want to do.

If you want to work with an agency and be a legit model, don't bother with ANTM.

If you want reality show fame, and you're willing to put in the work it requires, then give every single show a shot.

I will say this- you should read www.newmodels.com and get as much info. as you can from there. Never try to market yourself as the exception to the rule. Frankly, there are tons of 5'9, rail thin girls in NYC that will get the jobs first. The fashion industry doesn't need an exception.

There is a genre of modeling for everyone. You have to be realistic though.

that helped me A LOT! I am so glad you've told me this. i'm going to try everything honestly. like i said im not bad at turn downs and i know i'm not the tallest girl either. i'm going to work with what i have, i have high hopes for me as a model, not a type model you know? i know i'll never do runway but i want to do print anyways. i'm just glad i found all this out before i blew it on america's next top model. that was my main concert honestly because i don't want to mess up my chances of modeling in general with some crack tv show :p

Jun 04 11 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Robert Jewett wrote:

This is a great page to see if anything came out of appearing on the show. http://antm411.wordpress.com/

Jun 04 11 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:

They care about height- they don't give two shits about  portfolio.

Think what you want but

Reality TV World: How were you cast on America's Next Top Model and was it your first time applying for the show?

Monique Weingart: It was my first time applying for the show. I was on a website called Model Mayhem and my friend Amy -- well I call them my friends now because I love them -- but Amy and Tee had found me on there and invited me to the private audition in Chicago.

I was like, 'Hell yeah!' I always told myself that if I ever have an opportunity to try out for the show, I knew I would take it, but I would look for the auditions online, and I could never find anything. So when they contacted me, I was like, 'Oh my God! Yeah, I'll go!' I just did really well in every interview and I made it!

Jun 04 11 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Didn't a dude make it like 1/2 way through a season once??
I have watched some of the photo sessions, they are amazing sometimes, under water, fantastic makeup themes...
At least it's not as bad as idol with people who should have looked in a MIRROR before going downtown and making a FOOL of themselves!!!;-))))

Jun 04 11 04:41 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

George Ruge wrote:
Didn't a dude make it like 1/2 way through a season once??
I have watched some of the photo sessions, they are amazing sometimes, under water, fantastic makeup themes...
At least it's not as bad as idol with people who should have looked in a MIRROR before going downtown and making a FOOL of themselves!!!;-))))

i think there was a guy in next top model Italy. if not it i do know for sure there was one in another country. oh my gosh, idol is the worst!! at least they all look good once they've won!/lost! they've got to go through the machine :p

Jun 04 11 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

tired of idiots thinking that reality TV is real life.
it isn't .
Ive worked with a winner from that show, she was signed with Elite models since i first shot her at age 15 , she was signed with them DURING the shows filming , and she is still Signed with Elite now , she came to me two months AFTER WINNING the contest to RESHOOT her Portfolio because NOTHING she shot
during the shows filming was useful  for her Agency Portfolio .
People like the OP dont care to listen to anything but themselves and care only for the attention not for the business end of this. So regardless of what I or anyone else Posts The OP will still attempt to enter it I am sure.

here you
Cut and pasted from a tv guide article.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/pau … -1125.html

Paulina stating what every ANTM fan knew in a new bitchy interview
Paulina Packs a Punch

You know times are tough when even reality show judges can’t keep their jobs. That’s exactly what happened to former supermodel Paulina Porizkova who announced on CBS' The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson this week that she will not be back on America’s Next Top Model thanks to a little downsizing. We caught up with her after Wednesday’s season finale to talk about Cycle 12’s winner, the show’s true losers and what it feels like to no longer be in the running to be a Top Model judge.

What did you think of Teyona’s win?
Well, I was there. I had a hand in it. But you know what? Honestly, now that I’m off the show I can actually say it. I didn’t vote for Teyona.

Who did you vote for?
Allison. Well, I’m not going to name names. But two of us voted for Allison and two of us voted for Teyona and one of us had to cross the line over to the other one.

Of the three finalists, who do you think is the most likely to have an actual modeling career?

None of them.

Really? That’s sad.
I know. I’m really very sorry. But they’re not models. Look at the history of Top Model. When has a winner not fallen down into that great big hole where the other sock goes? When? That’s because you can’t pick models from a TV show. Those tall, long giraffe things that don’t really look real are rare freaks of nature. And finding a freak of nature with a personality, that’s like finding a double freak of nature. So you’d have a TV show once every 10 years.

You announced this week that you aren’t coming back.
I didn’t announce that. I announced that I was fired on my birthday—April 9th They timed it beautifully.

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic.
Oh, yeah. I don’t think they meant anything ill [by doing it] on my birthday. They just didn’t check. They’re not bad people by any means. None of them. Not Tyra. Not the producers. And I actually had a really good time with Nigel and Ms. Jay and Mr. Jay. It was great. It was a really fun job.

Why did they let you go?
Well, they said that Top Model needs to trim the fat. So they cut me. It came as a little bit of a shock. I was a little upset that I was fired roughly four weeks before the new season was starting. I was being told to go have a physical for the show and then I got fired. I think they could have done that better.

Who is going to pick up your duties?
Oh, I’m sure they’ll have plenty of guest judges doing that stuff. Clearly they didn’t need me so they got rid of me. That’s pretty much the end of the story. And I am refusing to go the polite route of [saying] we had scheduling differences because, frankly, people get fired. I got fired. That’s the way it is.

Stupid recession.
Actually a lot of my friends from the show got booted, too. Makeup and hair people. And I shouldn’t say this because this sounds bitter. But if Tyra came in on time, they would save somebody’s salary. If she actually showed up on time for the judgings and they didn’t have to pay a lot of overtime, they would save a lot of money.

Was that the case even when you traveled?
Uh-huh.

Is this a cut that affects all CW shows or just Top Model?
I have no idea. But I assume it probably affects everything. But obviously Top Model is one of the top CW shows. So there are ways of arranging budgets if you don’t want to lose somebody. So it’s pretty clear that they didn’t so much mind losing me. That’s where my hurt ego comes in.

Do you think you did something to bring this on?
I did get pissy about Tyra being late a couple of times. I said, "I don’t think that’s right." And they told me I had a big ego. So maybe that had something to do with it.

So what do you have planned next?
Well, the nice thing about being fired is that after you get over the hurt part of I-can’t-believe-they-can-do-without-me, there’s a kind of freedom. I’ve been in L.A. all week beating doors for a job. “Hello, I’m available! Would you like to cast me in a TV show?”

If they ask you to come back as a guest judge would you go back?
No. I think there’s a little too much bad blood. I mean I don’t wish them ill. But do I want them to blossom without me? No. I’m not going to lie.

ere.

So they have to hide the fact that they were on the show?
Yeah. And if you’re a winner you can just flush yourself down the toilet. Unless you marry a Brady, in which case you have a career.

But some of the models, like Ya-Ya DaCosta, have found showbiz success.
Yes. Some of the ones who did not win have done much better than the winners for sure. But none of them have approached top model [status]. Out of the girls that we had this season: I think Aminat might have a future in shows because she’s a terrific walker, she has a great body, and she’s very tall. But that’s the closest anybody’s going to get to fashion.

Can you make a good living being a show model?
Used to be in the good ole’ days. But I don’t know now. She might have to do Starbucks on the side.

A lot of young girls look up to the show and it really hasn't produced a top model.
They haven’t and they won’t. And now they’re doing the short girls. Like that’s ever going to catch on in fashion. It might be terrific TV. But it’s not about reality.

Jun 04 11 04:55 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

Thats what i was thinking. I honestly haven't really seen many of the girls from that show in ads. do you think they would of done better by just going to the angencies themselves?

Adrianne Curry is on MM..

you could ask her..

Jun 04 11 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nikki Magnusson wrote:

Adrianne Curry is on MM..

you could ask her..

She is the Loudest of the people AGAINST the show , she is the one who will just repeat was has been said Several times before!

Jun 04 11 05:01 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Escalante wrote:
She is the Loudest of the people AGAINST the show , she is the one who will just repeat was has been said Several times before!

yup..and she was a winner on the show..

Jun 04 11 05:03 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Escalante wrote:

yeah i saw her on the E! True Hollywood Story about ANTM and she pretty much ripped them a new one. I've actually been thinking about that. she said yeah that she won but she had to do everything herself and that the contract was a bs one and the show didn't do shit for her :\

Jun 04 11 05:14 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

yeah i saw her on the E! True Hollywood Story about ANTM and she pretty much ripped them a new one. I've actually been thinking about that. she said yeah that she won but she had to do everything herself and that the contract was a bs one and the show didn't do shit for her :\

yup..

Jun 04 11 05:14 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Sabot Images wrote:

Think what you want but

Think what I want?

Nope- I know what I know.

It's best to leave the advice to people in the know...not the people guessing...

Jun 05 11 07:09 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

George Ruge wrote:

Many of the auditioners for Idol are planted.

Jun 05 11 07:10 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

Doing everything for yourself is typical with every single reality show.

Once you're done with the show, your 15 minutes can be over very quickly. You have to know what to do with it and how to handle it. You have to be smart as hell.

Jun 05 11 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:
sooo a friend and I were thinking of auditioning for America's Next Top Model next month when they come to our city. I want to know, is it a joke to you or do they really go on to do better things? Is this show bad or good for an upcoming model?

If you made it on the show...the Exposure would not hurt you and only be a benefit. In the U.S. almost any form of fame can lead to big a paycheck if you know how to milk it. Look at the people on reality shows that have careers manifest out of nowhere and make quite a bit of money.

So it does not matter if it's a joke or not, if you have any fame or recognition you will get more work than if you had not. It might not be the same high fashion work, but getting paid $10K for a night to host a party at a night club does not suck all that bad.

Just have fun do what you want and never listen to haters that want to slam everything. If you have a shot take it!

Jun 05 11 07:21 am Link

Model

cancellondon

London, England, United Kingdom

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

thats what i was thinking too but if it's a joke than it could end up really badly. I just want to know if models from that show are taken seriously or if that show kind of sets them back :\ I want to do it, but only if it doesn't affect my modeling career

There's different areas in modelling and everyone seems to just notice the high fashion ads, commercial work gets the most money!! if you look at vogue Italia they have had quite a few models from antm
toccara mostly does presenting which I've notice
eva acting and beauty work
while the others I've noticed have done work for boutique brands that are big in other countries!!smile
take a chance and go for it....

Jun 05 11 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

getting your name out , what could hurt ..? maybe meet people at the audition and network .. well its called work in any other feild

Jun 05 11 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

An yet somehow you're still thinking it is a good idea?

Seriously, don't waste your time or attention pursuing it, unless your real goal is to be on a "reality" tv show, because it will not help you get a career in modeling.

Jun 05 11 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

JD200

Dallas, Texas, US

So whats the cost/benefit ratio? Cost? Nothing. Benefit? You gain experience, how to work under pressure, check out your competition and maybe  just maybe.......you move on to the next round. I dont really see a downside.

Jun 05 11 07:18 pm Link

Model

Little Alice

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sabot Images wrote:
If you are afraid of trying something new then you are wasting your youth. If you do not try out then you will always wonder "what if"? What is the worst that could happen, they say no. If they say yes then you have a chance to get some really good photos, free trip, experience, have some fun and maybe win.

I would love to hear from people who actually have experience working in the fashion and modeling industry in New York, LA, Paris, or Milan.

just my 2 cents but I think you should go for it!

For this situation, this really isn't good advice.  ANTM is not a good opportunity, even if you do somehow get on the show.  It's a waste of your time.  It's good to take chances and try out opportunities, but not when you know that the consequences are not going to benefit you and may possibly be detrimental.

The castings are a joke and a waste of time.  I've heard from past girls on the show that there are cameras everywhere- even in the bathroom.  Also they edit the footage to make the girls look as crazy and bitchy as possible.

Jun 05 11 07:24 pm Link

Model

Egypt Jordan

San Antonio, Texas, US

Being a former fan of ANTM, I will honestly say "NO!"

I think you would do so much better getting things done on your own than, trying out for that show. I think now days, many people want the easy way out of things. They think that being on a reality show or getting "discovered" is the way to go.

When it comes to high fashion models, there are people do go through blood, sweat, and tears to get the perfect portfolio and into an agency.

And I have noticed each season just gets faker and faker, after the "short" season, I quit watching it all together. It is all entertainment and the models will not get anywhere. I've noticed that if any model gets somewhere, its always a non winner, with the exception of Eva, but Im sure she did things and worked hard outside of being a ANTM winner to get where she is now.

Jun 06 11 09:25 am Link