Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > retouching hair...

Photographer

Deirdre Holmes

Posts: 1264

San Pedro, California, US

Any one know of any great free tutorials about retouching hair.  Or just an explanation on how it's done.
For example like this http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/gallery
Is it frequency separation?
Is it cloning and warping?
It is straight painting?
Combination of all?
Thanks.

Jun 22 11 12:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Posts: 2238

Wenatchee, Washington, US

Deirdre Holmes wrote:
Any one know of any great free tutorials about retouching hair.  Or just an explanation on how it's done.
For example like this http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/gallery
Is it frequency separation?
Is it cloning and warping?
It is straight painting?
Combination of all?
Thanks.

You were almost there!
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/22156120/
I think that it requires a combination of all!
It also depends on what type of picture you have
https://www.digitalphotoshopretouching. … ir-retouch

Good luck!

Jun 22 11 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Deirdre Holmes

Posts: 1264

San Pedro, California, US

Chaviit0 wrote:

You were almost there!
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/22156120/
I think that it requires a combination of all!
It also depends on what type of picture you have
https://www.digitalphotoshopretouching. … ir-retouch

Good luck!

Thanks Chavito!  Awesome video.  There's not a lot of hair retouching though...

Jun 22 11 04:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Posts: 2238

Wenatchee, Washington, US

Deirdre Holmes wrote:

Thanks Chavito!  Awesome video.  There's not a lot of hair retouching though...

Grr... I think I showed you the wrong video
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/28623923/ =P
It's not a tutorial, but you can get some ideas.

Jun 22 11 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Deirdre Holmes

Posts: 1264

San Pedro, California, US

Chaviit0 wrote:
Grr... I think I showed you the wrong video
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/28623923/ =P
It's not a tutorial, but you can get some ideas.

smile downloading now
wow - perfect.  Thanks!

Jun 22 11 04:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Nona Emanon

Posts: 421

New York, New York, US

without before/after, how could you know what is retouched and what's not?

Jun 22 11 07:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Alexey Adamitsky

Posts: 226

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

Nona Emanon wrote:
without before/after, how could you know what is retouched and what's not?

A retoucher with trained eye usually can. It comes with experience.

Jun 22 11 09:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Nienna1990

Posts: 568

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel Aviv, Israel

Deirdre Holmes wrote:
Combination of all?

This.

With all the techniques you've learned, use the ones that best suit your work flow. Every technique has its benefits. Learn how to make the best out of each.

Jun 22 11 10:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Nona Emanon

Posts: 421

New York, New York, US

Asiris Creative wrote:

A retoucher with trained eye usually can. It comes with experience.

you can guess. but you never know.

Jun 22 11 11:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Nienna1990

Posts: 568

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel Aviv, Israel

Nona Emanon wrote:

you can guess. but you never know.

But thats what he is telling you. To a trained eye, you can know...

Jun 23 11 01:13 am Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Posts: 2064

Bangalore, Karnataka, India

You sure do magic with hair, don't ya Natalie? Why didn't you mention about the fairy Natalie wand technique? tongue

Jun 23 11 02:02 am Link

Retoucher

Nona Emanon

Posts: 421

New York, New York, US

Nienna1990 wrote:

But thats what he is telling you. To a trained eye, you can know...

I find it presumptuous to claim that you can know. if i took a small brush and raise the luminosity of a pixel by the smallest unit, can you tell? clearly the image has been 'retouched'.

Jun 23 11 03:23 am Link

Retoucher

Nienna1990

Posts: 568

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel Aviv, Israel

Nona Emanon wrote:

I find it presumptuous to claim that you can know. if i took a small brush and raise the luminosity of a pixel by the smallest unit, can you tell? clearly the image has been 'retouched'.

I think hair retouching is a littlemore than that, dont you think so?

no, I would know if a single hair was removed. But I would if a bunch was removed.

Jun 23 11 05:45 am Link

Retoucher

Alexey Adamitsky

Posts: 226

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

Nienna1990 wrote:
I think hair retouching is a littlemore than that, dont you think so?

no, I would know if a single hair was removed. But I would if a bunch was removed.

I agree here with Nienna. Of course it's impossible to tell on pixel level which pixel was changed and which wasn't, but in general for a trained eye it's possible to tell what was done to an image to achieve certain result.

Jun 23 11 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Deirdre Holmes

Posts: 1264

San Pedro, California, US

Nona Emanon wrote:
without before/after, how could you know what is retouched and what's not?

The example I posted is a before and after.  It's a scroll over.  That's how I know.  (Yes I can tell too because it's impossibly perfect, but mostly by the scroll over.)

Jun 23 11 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Deirdre Holmes

Posts: 1264

San Pedro, California, US

Nienna1990 wrote:

This.

With all the techniques you've learned, use the ones that best suit your work flow. Every technique has its benefits. Learn how to make the best out of each.

Nienna!  Thank you for your wonderful photo and video.  It does look like magic even watching it happen.  The hardest part of hair retouching for me is making it look symmetrical.  For example, when you heal your stray hairs you get symmetrical hair at the end.  When I heal stray hairs I get little blobs in the hair afterwords.  Still trying to work through the process, but dang it's not easy to say the least...

Jun 23 11 07:47 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Posts: 1068

Chicago, Illinois, US

Asiris Creative wrote:

A retoucher with trained eye usually can. It comes with experience.

+1

Jun 23 11 08:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Megan E Griscom

Posts: 453

Bordentown, New Jersey, US

Deirdre Holmes wrote:
Nienna!  Thank you for your wonderful photo and video.  It does look like magic even watching it happen.  The hardest part of hair retouching for me is making it look symmetrical.  For example, when you heal your stray hairs you get symmetrical hair at the end.  When I heal stray hairs I get little blobs in the hair afterwords.  Still trying to work through the process, but dang it's not easy to say the least...

I get the little blobs too...but for some reason no one does in the tutorial videos....grrr....very frustrating!

And none of the video links in this thread seem to work...sad

Nov 29 12 01:15 pm Link