Forums > Events > LUCIMA Fashion Photog Business WS So. Cal. 9/24-25

Photographer

L U C I M A

Los Angeles, California, US

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6035451151_3f4e50f3fa_z.jpg
Portrait of a Socialite Project | Bekka. Location. D3/24-70mm f/2.8  1/200th f/2.8 ISO 640.

L U C I M A FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS WORKSHOP

You're tired of the 9-to-5 grind and you want to make money as a fashion photographer...

Where do you start? How do you find work? How do you make this a profitable business? And what the hell is a call sheet?

By combining business education (MBA, MA Psychology, BA Economics) with actual work experience in fashion photography. I've developed a 2-day course for serious fashion photographers that want to break into the fashion photography business.

On Day 1 we'll examine the fundamentals of the business-side of fashion photography and cover topics such as:

- Marketing & Positioning (finding clients)
- Sales & Negotiation (maximizing revenues)
- Budgeting (managing finances)
- Managing Talent (models, agencies, clients)
- Investing in Assets (gear, studio, and accounting)
- Professional Workflow (castings, call sheets, contracts, AND the photography-side of workflow!)

Additionally we'll conduct portfolio reviews and cover the criteria for creating a compelling portfolio.

On Day 2 we'll put your skills to the test in a day of lighting setups, interaction, shooting and retouching. We'll be shooting both fashion and beauty looks. Some of the highlights from Day 2 are:

- Understanding basic makeup
- Improving your model direction and interaction
- Understanding & Choosing the right modifiers
- Creating different lighting setups
- Demonstration of my post-shoot workflow
- Show retouch techniques such as liquify, dodge & burn, and selective masking

There are so many workshops out there that teach you lighting and shooting, but so few of them actually teach you the business-side of fashion photography. I'll be using my work experiences to demonstrate the successes and failures I've encountered in my journey. My goal is to navigate you through the pitfalls of becoming a professional fashion photographer so you can succeed!

Of course you'll be working with my favorite talents including models, makeup artist, and stylists. My workshops are only as good as my team and these individuals comprise my "circle of trust". You'll recognize them in the behind-the-scenes photos and videos as well as in the actual images I produce.

General notes:

-Since good models are paramount to getting "the shot" we'll provide experienced agency-represented models for the workshop. I'll be updating this page shortly with who we're shooting.

-One of the things I enjoy most is keeping the workshop small for more one-on-one attention. I will cap the attendance at 9.

-One-on-one time with models is critical to the learning process. At the workshop you'll have plenty of time to work with models. There will be at most 3 photographers per model.

-You'll be shooting with all the studio gear including the AlienBees system with all the light modifiers and the RadioPopper JrX system. Studio is privately owned, indoors with A/C and heat, plenty of white wall space and portable set walls/props, and plenty of parking.

Photographers should bring:
-Camera/assorted lenses
-Lightmeter
-Media cards
-Something to take notes with
-(optional) Pocket Wizards

Fee:
$749. Register by September 10th for 10% discount!
http://www.andreahoag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/paypal-logo.jpg

2620 Concord Ave. STE 120
Alhambra, CA 91803

Date/Time
Saturday and Sunday, September 24-25th, 2011, 10AM-6PM

Here are my last 5 workshops!
January, February, April, June
July

L U C I M A Modeling Agencies Workshop
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6188/6054482070_456532950d_z.jpg

Q/A:
Will update as inquiries come in!

Q: Do you also teach workshops from Calumet? What's the difference?
A: Yes, I have a non-exclusive partnership with Calumet Photographic that affords me the opportunity to teach my own workshops. So far all my classes at Calumet have been 1-day events at the Hollywood retail store with no location shooting.

Q: I'll be flying in from [fill in the blank]. Where should I stay that's not too far from your studio?
A: Being that I'm 3-4 miles from Old Pasadena, I would suggest you book a hotel that's not only close to the studio but also has much to offer in terms of night-life and shopping.

a) Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town 
180 North Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103

b) Hilton Pasadena 
168 South Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101

c) The Westin Pasadena 
191 North Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101

Q: Will we be shooting nudes?
A: Nope. For that I suggest you go to Drew and Karl's workshops. I hear they're great smile

Q: Is [this workshop] basic knowledge or does it go into some more advanced industry secrets?
A: You're not coming to my workshop for Marketing 101. You can get that at your local community college. What you'll get is the application of all that I've learned in real world situations. I don't want to call them "advanced industry secrets" but they are my strategies smile

Q: What about digital medium format? Do I need to buy a Hasselblad?
A: Great question! This theme is one we'll discuss throughout the workshop; how to build value into your business. It's something that a Hasselblad represents but the cost of ownership prohibits many photographers from making such a purchase. I'll give you my experiences as a Hasselblad owner and also some demonstration on the differences between digital MF versus digital 35mm. Along with workflow differences.

Q: Do I really need a light meter?
A: Yes and no. But basically I'll be showing you how to light with AND without light meters. But for a long-winded version of this answer please see my official stance on light meters.

Q: Will we be shooting outdoors?
A: Being that this is a small group, we will be venturing outdoors and exploring the different types of lighting afforded by natural light. As fashion photographers, we must be able to not only control but also utilize the situational factors that exists. This includes taking advantage of available light and neutralizing the problems that available light creates.

Q: At what point will you know whether you will register enough students to confirm the workshop?
A: I never cancel my workshops. If there is even 1 photographer, then the show goes on! Yes, I will teach to 1 photographer if only 1 registers! 

The only workshops that I don't have control over are through partnerships (like with Calumet) or another third party organizer. If they fail to make ends meet then they might cancel the workshop, but that's out of my control. But that is also totally different from the one that you've registered. Our show will go on!

Aug 17 11 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

REN LARA PHOTOGRAPHY

sign me up!!!

Aug 18 11 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Stevierayphotography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Maybe, might be able to go smile

Aug 18 11 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Stevie! Hope to see you there smile

Aug 19 11 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Is [this workshop] basic knowledge or does it go into some more advanced industry secrets?
A: You're not coming to my workshop for Marketing 101. You can get that at your local community college. What you'll get is the application of all that I've learned in real world situations. I don't want to call them "advanced industry secrets" but they are my strategies smile

Aug 20 11 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

TawnyHortonPhotography

Anaheim, California, US

Do you offer Financial Aid? lol or scholarships? trade for my first born?
I would be WOWed out if I could ever attend one of these!

Tawny

Aug 20 11 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Hi Tawny! smile LOL! I take trade for Hasselblad digital backs, need an upgrade from my 31MP smile Cheers!

Aug 22 11 10:48 am Link

Model

lorena123

Fontana, California, US

If you need a model I'm available

Aug 22 11 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Thanks Lorena! smile

Aug 22 11 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: What about digital medium format? Do I need to buy a Hasselblad?
A: Great question! This theme is one we'll discuss throughout the workshop; how to build value into your business. It's something that a Hasselblad represents but the cost of ownership prohibits many photographers from making such a purchase. I'll give you my experiences as a Hasselblad owner and also some demonstration on the differences between digital MF versus digital 35mm. Along with workflow differences.

Aug 23 11 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Texter Photography

Burbank, California, US

A few questions:
Do you have any student testimonials? I would like to hear what your students thought about the workshop they attended by you.

I am a photographer just starting out and would love to leap into the professional world of fashion and editorial photography. (My background is in entertainment design.) I have only been shooting for about 2 years now. By looking at my portfolio do you think I could have what it takes?

Also NICE portfolio!

Aug 23 11 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

A S H

Huntington Beach, California, US

Are there any workshops for beginner fashion photographers?

Aug 23 11 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

@Texter: There are a few short testimonials littered throughout the video on the first post smile Also feel free to join the Facebook workshop fan page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/185656974814125/

Also, don't let anyone tell you if you're ready or not. It's a decision you simply have to make on your own! wink

Aug 24 11 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

DEL GENO

Beaumont, Texas, US

"...don't let anyone tell you if you're ready or not. It's a decision you simply have to make on your own!"

I REALLY needed to read that.

Thanks.

Aug 25 11 08:43 am Link

Photographer

RScarlett DCPhotography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sounds cool.... I may have a business trip out west the coincides.  If so, I'll sign up.

Aug 25 11 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

PicLicorice

I so wish I could afford this!!

Aug 26 11 02:07 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Edit

Aug 26 11 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Red Bean Photo

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would love to come to this. Is there still room ?

Aug 26 11 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

@Red Bean Photo: Yes! There is still space smile Just Paypal to register. Cheers!

Aug 27 11 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Paul Photography

New York, New York, US

Looks cool...

Aug 28 11 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Erik_dphoto

New York, New York, US

Booked! coming in from NYC.

Aug 28 11 09:50 am Link

Photographer

DaussFOTO

Fishers, Indiana, US

WOW! how I would LOVE to make it to this!!!!!!

Aug 29 11 09:37 am Link

Photographer

AFMFashion

L U C I M A wrote:

Hello Charles,

I am interested. Am i invited?

Aug 29 11 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

ChristiansPhotography wrote:

Hello Charles,

I am interested. Am i invited?

Hi Christian, yes you are invited wink

Aug 31 11 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Troy

Ontario, California, US

Hi,
Would love to attend your workshops, but unable to attend on Saturdays. Will you be offering workshops on alternative days in the future.

Troy B.

Aug 31 11 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Bogar Photography wrote:
Hi,
Would love to attend your workshops, but unable to attend on Saturdays. Will you be offering workshops on alternative days in the future.

Troy B.

Hi Troy,

Most of my workshops are held on the weekends. PM me if you need a private workshop on another day though. Cheers! smile

Sep 01 11 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

DaussFOTO wrote:
WOW! how I would LOVE to make it to this!!!!!!

Hope to see you there! smile

Sep 03 11 12:22 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

erik_dPhotography wrote:
Booked! coming in from NYC.

Cheers Eric! smile

Sep 04 11 01:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sayuri mitsumori

Gardena, California, US

If you need make up artist Let me know!

Sep 04 11 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

jovn_ph

i'd love to be a part of this, neighbor.

Sep 05 11 12:03 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

fotoconcerto: Would love to have you at our workshop! smile Cheers! smile

Sep 05 11 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

sayuri mitsumori wrote:
If you need make up artist Let me know!

Cheers! Sayuri we have our MUA set! smile Thanks!

Sep 07 11 07:48 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Will we be shooting outdoors?
A: Being that this is a small group, we will be venturing outdoors and exploring the different types of lighting afforded by natural light. As fashion photographers, we must be able to not only control but also utilize the situational factors that exists. This includes taking advantage of available light and neutralizing the problems that available light creates.

Sep 08 11 01:08 am Link

Photographer

ManfredC

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Too bad i am too far away, but Charles i am a big fan of yours

Sep 08 11 08:13 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

ManfredC wrote:
Too bad i am too far away, but Charles i am a big fan of yours

Hi Manfred! smile Just a flight away ;P but thank you for the kind words!

Sep 09 11 03:09 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

RScarlett DCPhotography wrote:
Sounds cool.... I may have a business trip out west the coincides.  If so, I'll sign up.

Sounds good! Let me know smile

Sep 09 11 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Do I really need a light meter?
A: Yes and no. But basically I'll be showing you how to light with AND without light meters. But for a long-winded version of this answer please see my official stance on light meters.

Sep 11 11 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Patofoto

Greenwich, Connecticut, US

Arhhhggg.  I'm shooting that weekend.  Sunday.  Have to keep my eye on these courses.  Would love to take one.  Soon I swear.  Teach them to see...to be aware.  Talk soon.

Sep 12 11 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Patofoto wrote:
Arhhhggg.  I'm shooting that weekend.  Sunday.  Have to keep my eye on these courses.  Would love to take one.  Soon I swear.  Teach them to see...to be aware.  Talk soon.

Hey Patofoto! No worries, just message me your email if you would like to be on the workshop email list smile

In fact, anyone who is interested can just message me to be on the email list. Thanks! smile

Sep 13 11 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Just realized some of my articles are on MM EDU if you'd like to get a taste of my "teaching style" LOL smile

Sep 14 11 07:49 am Link