Forums > Photography Talk > Models that don't know how to model

Photographer

Mosttry

Los Angeles, California, US

Demon Photographic wrote:

I thought he was a sculptor or is this why I've never seen any of his paintings. ;o)

http://slamxhype.com/art-design/jeff-ko … -coverage/

Heh...I'm actually not that much of a hater of Koons.  But I torn because I think his art is really hit or miss and I can't decide if it's because of his method of working (employing a factory of staff to do the work) or if it's because mebbe I really don't like the work.

...dunno if you'll check back so I'll msg you that link.  It...uh...gives one pause when it comes to thinking about having others do the actual painting while the artist sits and watches...or 'directs'.

Oct 19 11 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Rich Burroughs wrote:
I've directed actors, I directed plays professionally. You can coach and make small improvements, but someone knows how to act or they don't. You're not likely to get a great performance out of someone who hasn't trained and learned their craft.

Interestingly, I disagree.

I don't think every individual can be put into any role and come out with a great performance.  But.....I do feel a good director can get a good performance out of any actor.

*One* example: children.  Children have not necc become great actors in the sense that they've trained or learned their "craft".  True...some kids will be naturals.   But my point is that kids can be induced, cajoled, tricked and guided toward doing something that *works*...i.e. works for the script/scene.  And I believe any individual can, and it's up to the talents of the director.

I liken it to teaching.  The best teachers know how to recognize in their students, what, exactly, the student hasn't understood...not the lesson that the student has misunderstood, but the specific piece of information that the student needs to hear in order to 'get it'. 

I don't think Keanu Reeves is a particularly good actor in the sense that he has the training (or is capable of channeling the training) to do a wide variety of roles in a wide variety of movies.  But he's given some great performances, like "My Own Private Idaho".  Gus Van Sant *uses* that particular actor extremely well and Keanu ends up adding tremendously to the movie (I think).

I believe the above applies more to film than to stage, but I think even on stage, part of directing is guiding all the elements and making them work.  In the same vein, I *definitely* think a good picture can be taken of ANY model.  That's not a slight to modeling, it's just a comment on the nature of the way the process of taking still images works.  Unlike a film or a stage play the 'director' only needs to get ONE instant to occur and then capture it.  True, on stage, even getting a performer to project throughout an entire performance is sometimes impossible.  But...for modeling, those kinds of restrictions don't apply.

Ever see "All That Jazz"?  There's a scene where Roy Scheider's character is talking to an actress that really isn't very good but he's cast her because he thinks she's pretty.  When she realizes for herself his own diminished estimation of her abilities she's crushed but he tells her: "I can't promise you that I can make you a good [actress]; I don't even know if I can make you a *good* actress; but I know I can make you a *better* actress".   

I believe in that sentiment.  If you're given X amount of talent, a good director knows how to get SOMETHING out of it that will serve the piece.

EDIT:  p.s.   me saying: "I *definitely* think a good picture can be taken of ANY model." is not the same thing as me saying "anyone can model". My point is, if someone shows up on your doorstep asking for pictures, a good photographer, with the right 'directing' tools, will be able to pull it off.

And if someone shows up at my door asking for help as an actor...I figure I can at least make them a "better" actor.  : )

Oct 19 11 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
The thing I don't get about those of you guys saying the photographer should be responsible is:

Every pro photographer I've spoken to says, if the model can't model, you send her home and ring the agency for someone who can.

..and..

If what you're saying is true and anyone can model to a reasonable professional standard, why book a pro model? Why not just get some random pretty girl off the street?

Nopes.  Because that's not the scenario we're talking about.  We're talking about someone showing up at your door asking you to take good pictures of them.  Even your comparison to testing for agencies does not apply.  The agency *is* looking for an evaluation.  The person at your doorstep is asking you, the photographer, for good pictures.  The OP was savvy enough to ask for ways to successfully facilitate that when the 'talent' is obviously missing or underdeveloped.

EDIT: and remember.....the OP had no idea of the talent level until the model showed up.  Of course, we can refuse to work with anyone but if someone showed up at my door for shots after I agreed to take them, I'd want to have tools at my disposal to make 'em work.  I'm not tryin' to get her on the cover of COSMO...I'm just trying to get her what she asked for: good pics!  : )

Oct 19 11 01:58 am Link

Photographer

MK Images Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Again I'd like to thank all of you for your continued discussion on this matter.

This is my take away:

First my confession...Yes, I am guilty of taking a massive amount of pictures thinking that some would be worth using. I was playing the numbers game. What all of you DO agree on, is that taking 800 photos was overkill. The Hail Mary method should not be my initial approach. As a professional, I need to invest more thought prior to pressing the shutter. I thank you for that direct and helpful slap to the face.

Second...I finished culling and came up with about 40 pictures I am happy with. That is a 5% success rate. Pretty pitifull for this shoot. The good news is that is not my normal rate. I usually don't "spray & pray" but resorted to that once I saw she was so stiff.

Third...A big fat THANK YOU to those of you that offered suggestions and links to examples and videos on shooting models. I will certainly soak those up to guide me in future shoots.

I agree that it is not my position to "Teach" models how to model, but I DO carry the responsibility to bring the best out of the person that I am shooting.

This experience, and your input, will make this a learning moment for me and other photographers that find themselves in the same position.

On a life imitates art moment:
Page 78-79 of the Victoria's Secret Fall Sale & Specials Catalog 2011 Vol 1. Features a model in several photos displaying only one expression: a look of disgust.

Maybe I am ready for the big time after all!  wink

Edit: I have failed to mention that the model had 4 clothing changes and 7 locations. Maybe 800 doesn't sound as bad now?

Oct 19 11 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:
I agree that it is not my position to "Teach" models how to model, but I DO carry the responsibility to bring the best out of the person that I am shooting.

And that, by itself, makes you an excellent photographer, my brother.  : )

Oct 19 11 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Mosttry wrote:
Nopes.  Because that's not the scenario we're talking about.  We're talking about someone showing up at your door asking you to take good pictures of them.  Even you comparison to testing for agencies does not apply.  The agency *is* looking for an evaluation.  The person at your doorstep is asking you, the photographer, for good pictures.  The OP was savvy enough to ask for ways to successfully facilitate that when the 'talent' is obviously missing or underdeveloped.

Umm.. that's not what we're talking about as far as I can see? We're talking about a model TFP session and she couldn't model:

"Or maybe it's me not knowing how to photograph?

I recently had a model ask for a TF session and I was happy to oblige. The first expression was a blank look that resembled minor digust. I snapped the photo and she tilted her head half an inch and kept the look. I asked for a smile, she smiles and raises her eyebrows high and widens her eyes like a crazy person. This went on for the entire session. Disgust peppered with crazy eyes. She kept her hands at her sides and when I asked for a particular hand placement it was always awkward with fingers crooked like she was casting a curse.

If I had asked for the session I would have stopped and found another model but this was HER session. Now I have 800 photos to choose from and am struggling to find 10 worth sending. I'd really like to give quality work even to those that don't know how to model.

Have any of you experienced this? How did you pull the emotions out of the model? What do you suggest I do if I am presented with this in the future?"

What you're suggesting is that this is a portrait session.

If it's a portrait or paid test session and the photographer is being paid, the rules are very different. If it's a TFP session and the model and photographer are bringing relevant skills to the session, the requirement is still on the model to be able to .... model. I direct, but the model models. That's the way it works.

Don't get me wrong. I know how to get the most from people and I do that every week at weddings, and I've very very good at it, and I also get the most from my models too. However if the most I can get from a "model" is the level of a random stranger on the street, then the photographer doesn't have the responsibility to turn that person into a professional model. Because it's not possible.

It'd be like me turning up to a TFP session and saying to the model "Umm.. how do I use this black thing in my hand.. I think they call it a camera". It's unprofessional and unreasonable.

Oct 19 11 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
Umm.. that's not what we're talking about as far as I can see? We're talking about a model TFP session and she couldn't model:

"Or maybe it's me not knowing how to photograph?

I recently had a model ask for a TF session and I was happy to oblige. The first expression was a blank look that resembled minor digust. I snapped the photo and she tilted her head half an inch and kept the look. I asked for a smile, she smiles and raises her eyebrows high and widens her eyes like a crazy person. This went on for the entire session. Disgust peppered with crazy eyes. She kept her hands at her sides and when I asked for a particular hand placement it was always awkward with fingers crooked like she was casting a curse.

If I had asked for the session I would have stopped and found another model but this was HER session. Now I have 800 photos to choose from and am struggling to find 10 worth sending. I'd really like to give quality work even to those that don't know how to model.

Have any of you experienced this? How did you pull the emotions out of the model? What do you suggest I do if I am presented with this in the future?"

What you're suggesting is that this is a portrait session.

If it's a portrait or paid test session and the photographer is being paid, the rules are very different. If it's a TFP session and the model and photographer are bringing relevant skills to the session, the requirement is still on the model to be able to .... model.

Don't get me wrong. I know how to get the most from people and I do that every week at weddings, and I've very very good at it, but if the "most" I can get from a "model" is the level of a random stranger on the street, then the photographer doesn't have the responsibility to turn that person into a professional model. Because it's not possible.

Huh? 

If you hire me to paint your house, I'm going to do what I need to do to do a good job.  If I get to your house and I find out the old paint is peeling, hopefully I have the skills to know what to do with that old, crusty paint to get the new paint on.  ...and...no...I am not likening models to old, crusty paint.  : )

If *I* agree to take the shots, I *want* the model to be happy.  It has nothing to do with portrait vs model session.  She tells me what kind of shots she wants and sure as the sky is blue, I'm gonna get 'em.  Not because it's my responsibility, but because I've agreed to and I feel confident I can do it.  I believe with the right talent on the part of the photog, the random person off the street can get photos *they* will be happy with...not necc worthy of a magazine cover...but definitely worthy of my time and hers.  I just don't see the debate. 

...this is an AWESOME thread... : )

Oct 19 11 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It has happened over the years.

I had an agency model come once , she was the worst case scenario.

No expression, couldn't take directions, didn't have a clue.

It's hard to accept , but sometimes there is nothing between you and your subject, thus the results are equal to this=null.

IF you let this bother you, it shouldn't. Your next model is not the same person, and having this happen twice in a row are not going to happen. Well watch out for falling pianos, etc if it does!

Oct 19 11 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Mosttry wrote:

Huh? 

If you hire me to paint your house, I'm going to do what I need to do to do a good job.  If I get to your house and I find out the old paint is peeling, hopefully I have the skills to know what to do with that old, crusty paint to get the new paint on.  ...and...no...I am not likening models to old, crusty paint.  : )

If *I* agree to take the shots, I *want* the model to be happy.  It has nothing to do with portrait vs model session.  She tells me what kind of shots she wants and sure as the sky is blue, I'm gonna get 'em.  Not because it's my responsibility, but because I've agreed to and I feel confident I can do it.  I believe with the right talent on the part of the photog, the random person off the street can get photos *they* will be happy with...not necc worthy of a magazine cover...but definitely worthy of my time and hers.  I just don't see the debate. 

...this is an AWESOME thread... : )

I give up...

Oct 19 11 02:21 am Link

Photographer

El Roi Photography

Elizabeth, Indiana, US

I didn't read anything but your comment and I have this to say ..one you are the photographer yes, but two when you are not getting something that works you need to tell the model what to do, give directions, show her examples and help her to learn a some in the process. some of the models i have worked with have been happy to learn more about posing and what does, or doesn't work, during a shoot. you need to not be afraid to tell a model a look is not working or how to improve upon and fix the problem.
It is your job to take good photographs, once you give her those good photographs it will be her who sees what she has done wrong..unless she likes the poses and looks she gave, or she might not even realize she has done what you do not like ....

Oct 19 11 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

also...  I don't think anyone is stating that it's the photog's responsibility to turn the model into a "professional model".  The OP was just asking, basically, 'what *can* *I* do in a situation where the model doesn't know what she's doing so that the photos are of some value to her".

So, I'm def not saying any of the tips I mentioned are my way of "teaching" her how to be a good model.  They are just tools for me, who's in charge, to guide/manipulate/change what's happening in front of my camera *at the time of the shoot* so that some good pics are taken.

I don't think any of the methods I suggested will guarantee the model will be better at her next shoot.  To go back to acting: that's the difference between a director directing an actor and an actor benefiting from an acting class.  As the director/photographer, I'm not concerned with whether or not any of my 'tricks' will clue the model in as to what to do on her next shoot.  I'm just guiding the proceedings taking place in front of my camera.

...and I don't think anyone is blaming the OP.  Even those who have said directly "Yes, it's your fault" (of which I was not one), are just answering his question that "yes, there are some things that *you* can do to get rid of that look of disgust".

Oct 19 11 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
I give up...

Mebbe it's just the difference between being willing to shoot an amateur as opposed to only shooting professionals.  *I* will take any assignment (probably).  And if the talent is weak, I will enjoy trying to make the job work.

Oct 19 11 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Mosttry wrote:

Mebbe it's just the difference between being willing to shoot an amateur as opposed to only shooting professionals.  *I* will take any assignment (probably).  And if the talent is weak, I will enjoy trying to make the job work.

...cuz what's the alternative?  Telling her to leave in the middle of the shoot that she's hired you to do?  ...or not working with anyone with whom you've never worked before so you can be assured what they'll be like once they show up?  (...the latter being logically impossible!).

Yeah.  I'd rather enjoy the challenge and have some tricks up my sleeve for the model who isn't very talented.

LOL....  I'm so bored I'm commenting on my own posts!

Oct 19 11 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Mosttry wrote:

lol!

Oct 19 11 03:24 am Link

Photographer

4QFiles

Riverside, California, US

Having a model that runs through poses with heart is the goal seldom achieved. I prepare for the blank stare with preproduction work. I build my plan with the model and collect example photos for the shoot. I then share both the examples and current shots with the model during the shoot. To get heart out of them, you need to set the mood via direction and don’t forget music, it’s huge. I sometimes even build a mix CD based on the shoot. I recently did a shoot where I asked for the model’s top ten tunes and burnt a CD for the shoot… worked like a champ.

Oct 19 11 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Thank Zeus some people who actually shoot models have chimed in here.

Oct 19 11 07:49 am Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

rapport , rapport , rapport..

Oct 19 11 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Jay Hooker Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Admittedly I have not read every post in this thread, But thought I would chime in anyways.

For the photographers that bear the sole responsibility of the image without the talent of the model I ask this. Why hire a model? In fact why are you on this site? If it is so easy to get the poses, emotions, looks your trying to achieve from someone with 0 talent or experience just find someone off the street or the classifieds.

Some models are not as good as others and yeah, I think as a photographer you can make a bad situation better but your not going to get a stick in the mud to pose like a supermodel. Prospective models go to school for this stuff, it's not something you teach in a two hour photo shoot.

So to the OP I would say that it is totally not your fault. However dealing with situations like this over and over again you will find that you learn how to rectify the situation as best as it can be done through your skills as a photographer.

jay

Oct 19 11 08:02 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

If they can't model they are not a model. They are a subject. They can if you are patient and they show promise or are a natural, and you are a good director be taught to model.

Or, you can take nice photos of a beautiful girl. That doesn't make her a model.

Model is a verb. If they can't do it the noun cannot be applied to them. I have seen stunningly beautiful women who just can't model. And likewise very plain ones who are brilliant. Photographers who think a pretty subject is bound to make a good model will frequently encounter this; it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. Just book models who can model it isn't rocket science to tell from a port who's who.

Oct 19 11 08:07 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Mosttry wrote:

borat

I laughed and laughed reading this post.

Oct 19 11 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Palssonphoto

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SEE MY COMMENT BELOW.

Oct 19 11 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

I am going to agree with Eliza here.

I think a big part of the problem of this discussion is using the right terms.   The OP, didn't have a model.  A real model knows how to model.  Knows her poses and expressions and can deliver on command. 

The OP didn't have a client.  A client is a person who pays you to make a good picture of them called a portrait. 

What he had was a subject or maybe an object.  LOL  The goal was for two to contribute to the session so both could get a valuable image.  She was unable to contribute, because she was a model.

Yes, as a true pro people photographer, you do need to know how to direct and cajole to get the best possible result.  Not all of "fashion" photographers are portraitists.  It is an additional skill set.

So if this is the kind of person the OP runs into often, he should decide if he want to put in that amount of effort and direction for a TF shoot.  In other words, doing a portrait session for free.  Or recognize it for what it is and say, I am sorry, but this isn't working for me and unless we can fix it, I either want to stop or you start paying me.

Oct 19 11 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Mosttry wrote:
I don't think every individual can be put into any role and come out with a great performance.  But.....I do feel a good director can get a good performance out of any actor.

You've directed? It's hard for me to imagine anyone who has directed novice actors making that statement.

The examples you cite are exceptions. For every really good child actor you see there are many bad ones. Someone like Dakota Fanning was so amazing exactly because she was a freakish exceptional talent. Keanu has give a lot of bad performances. I don't even think he was that great in Gus's film but he wasn't bad enough to wreck it. And I'm sure there was rehearsal that went into it, Gus didn't get him to that point in a few hours.

If a novice model shows up at my door and is at that stage where she doesn't even know what to do with her hands, I might get a few good images but it's not likely to be a very good shoot. There's only so much you can do, especially in a few hours. I strive to get good images with everyone I shoot, but what they bring to the table has a lot to do with it.

Sometimes I take chances on newer people and it doesn't work out. In those cases I deliver the best images that I can.

Oct 19 11 08:40 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:

One thing I've discovered in this line of photography, is that the Photographer and the model do a LOT more creating TOGETHER! With modeling photography, It's more about "creating" photos than "taking" photos. This falls on BOTH the photographer and the model. A "collaboration".

So, if you have a model that doesn't "LIKE you" (or your concept) from the beginning it could be damned hard to get any kind of 'good chemistry" or "energy" to show in the photos. Add a distracting or passive-agressive "escort" to that, and it becomes even more difficult.

One of the things I have learned is that there WILL be people that you just can't please (or, get to "like you")...no matter how hard you try. There WILL be those (few) folks that are always "pissed at the world" and you just can't break through!

Just "be yourself", and try to stay "positive", even try a few corny jokes and disney-like stories. wink If even after all that, it STILL fails....then rest easy knowing you gave it ALL you had. Just do your best to be a "people person" and 99% of the time it will work out.

But, there are those (few 1%) folks who are NEVER happy, unless they are unhappy...and get their kicks out of trying to sap your energy (I call them energy vampires) and make YOU unhappy too. Just try to identify those types EARLY, and give them MUCH less than 800 shots of your energy! smile Stay positive, don't let them drag you down.

Oct 19 11 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Palssonphoto

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I agree with both Eliza and Jay above. Before I started getting seriously into model photography, I didn't recognize how much modeling is dependent on a combination of real natural talent and carefully practiced professional skills. It makes all the difference to have a talented and professionally capable model to work with. Sure, you can do directing to a certain degree, but unless you are a truly brilliant director, you are never going to get the elegant visually pleasing poses or great facial expressions that a top-notch professional models can give you, even if your amateur or novice model is highly motivated.

I specialize in artsy/artistic nudes, and I suspect that the contrast between amateur and professional models is even bigger there, because the professionals know how to flex their muscles and angle their whole bodies for the most beautiful effect overall and it is hard to direct that. After working with more than 50 different models of all levels of experience, I now find myself increasingly seeking to book repeat sessions with experienced full-time professional models like Danielle Trixie (MM#109506) and Adrina Lynn (MM#1017067), who I know will reliably give me outstanding results. I'm only a hobbyist photographer, so hiring this kind of top professional talent for my shoot is heavy on my wallet, but it is worth it to me because I'm really picky about what I want to create, and such professional models are far more likely to give me the quality work I'm looking for. I can direct models, but models who are experts at their trade will generally produce something better than the best I can create with an unskilled model of equal looks. (Of course, I'll work with beginning models occasionally as well - for who knows where new talent may be discovered, but I save up my dollars for booking professionals most of the time to get enough good quality work done).

Case in point. I worked with two models on the same afternoon in Arizona in April, in the same location. The first one was relatively new to modeling, and even though she had a fine figure and a beautiful face, I just could not get the images I wanted, no matter how we both tried. Well, a couple of hours later it was Adrina Lynn's turn: She walks onto the scene, and mere four or five shots into the session, without a single word of direction from me she had gotten me exactly the beautiful figure images what I was striving for in that setting: Every muscle, every limb and facial expression just right to look good. That's talent, and worth paying good money for. (BTW - here is a sample of her from that shoot, taken less than a minute after beginning to work together with no direction, so that you can see what I'm talking about (18+ image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22571006

So I think directing and good intentions and efforts on photographer and models' part only can accomplish a limited amount without adequate talent and experience. When you can afford it, hiring top professional talent (especially models who clearly are expert posers based on their portfolios), even if just occasionally, will therefore boost the quality of your output greatly. I should also add that among those professional models, I think even more valuable are those with a strong creative streak and desire to really push the limits in their modeling. Those you most certainly do not want to direct too much, but rather encourage them to be creative and do their thing. One of the best examples of that fine breed of models I've encountered so far is Katlyn Lacoste (MM# 1227596). All you need to do is tell her that you want something very unique and unusual, and she'll come up with really striking things in a flash (like in these two 18+ examples https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20387705 and  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25379841 undirected and spontaneously created by her. That type of originality on top of good professional skill makes a model a veritable artistic collaborator and is worth every penny you pay the model, in my opinion.

Oct 19 11 09:57 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

This is really a very interesting thread. I have read some of the responses several times and the links are helpful.

My response just by reading the OP's statement/question is that obviously the model is a newbie or needing help to build her portfolio. That is why she contacted the OP. I just do not see a very experienced model wanting to shoot with any photographer not among the top photographers here on MM tf to help build thier portfolio. The top/very experienced/elite models here can demand "paid" shoots even from the best of the best photographers. Therefore I think that in keeping with the newbie or model wanting to improve her work needing help is where this thread is meant to go.

While I do not say that I am among the best I do know that first I would have done some homework had she contacted me. I would have looked at what she had in her port to give me some idea of what she can do. Before I even work with her I get an idea of her comfort level of what kind of pics she is interested in too. When she arrives I first work on getting her comfortable with me so we talk a bit. I may even shoot a few frames just to get her relaxed and into the shoot. Again saying that this is a newbie or model needing help to improve her port. I know from experience that it may take longer to shoot this model so I set aside the time. After all I agreed to shoot with her knowing that more than likely she will need direction with poses, expressions, following my directions. Shooting tf with a model like this is what I already expect. One of the things that I like to do with newbies or models that I think need help is to select a small number of looks and poses from models portfolios here. I explain that the pose, looks, expressions are a guideline and what I am looking for is for her to be able to give me something close to that but wanting to have her create her own pose/image that is hers and not try to exactly duplicate what I show her. Many times the end results from the shoot I find that the best work I get from the model is none of the poses that we started with but instead that she found herself experimenting and creating poses and looks that worked best for her, that we worked together as a team to make it happen. For me that is what it is all about, the model giving me her best look. And I like to take breaks to go over what we are getting, giving her an idea of what she looks like, maybe even discussing how we could do a look over to get it better. This is the part that I love because this is many times when I get my best work from newbie models that have little to no experience. Other photographers can say all they want about who is to blame, about the model should have the experience or that they would have ended the shoot and looked for another model but for me I look at it as I am the one who made the committment to the model to shoot her tf and I am going to do my best to give her pics that are more than what she would have been happy with. I want her to understand what is a good pic. As a photographer myself and still working on improving my own work I want the lighting and colors to be as close to perfect as possible. I want the setting to be right and I look at each image so that if something that does not belong in the picture is removed and we shoot it again. I could fix it in photoshop but why not fix it before I take the pic.

Oct 19 11 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IMO, a 'professional model' is one who takes direction well and energetically. I modeled for nearly 2 years before I began shooting, and my best work was shot when the photographers I modeled for gave me good direction. I shot one of my publications as a photographer with a 16-y/o girl...it was her first time modeling in her life. As the others have said and I agree with, sadly the onus is upon the photographer of how the images turn out entirely sad  The images are ours neutral

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110727/20/4e30d33a43881_m.jpg

IMHO alone, as always;

~Danny
http://dbiphotography.co.cc
https://www.modelmayhem.com/2401686
https://www.modelmayhem.com/1983551

Edit: I *did* mean that all this was true, provided s/he took direction well, and had a positive attitude. Nobody can get blood from a stone, or lead a horse to water when that horse is a stubborn mule! A 'bad' model is a stubborn brick, not one who lacks skill - IMO. Just wanted to be clearer on my position yikes

Oct 19 11 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mosttry wrote:

+1

I enjoy the challenge, and I dislike that most semi-experienced models are typically stuck doing repetitive poses and expressions, and are mules about taking directions. The pros...well, they are 'pros' for a reason! Lmao!

IMHO alone, as always;

~Danny

Edit: most semi-experienced mod's I've shot with. Or dealt with, but decided against shooting unpaid hmm

Oct 19 11 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

-Koa- wrote:
The point is that my response was accurate. We as photographers have to take full responsibility for what we produce. So, if my work comes out like crap, do I tell everyone it was the models fault? Better yet, if the images turn out terrific, do you say, "It was because of the model"!? Right, did'nt think so.

Actually I say that all the time. My strongest images are very much due to the work of the models.

Of course the model can't do it alone. I've seen some of the better models I've worked with in some really poor images, they were working with novice photographers just to pay the bills. Certainly in that scenario it's not the model's fault the images weren't good. It works both ways.

Oct 20 11 12:23 am Link

Photographer

STUDIO 236

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

+1

took the words right out of my mouth.

i 2nd that.....

Oct 20 11 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Awesometographer

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-Koa- wrote:
Remember, when given lemons, make lemonade.

But I don't want lemonade (poor posing / facial expressions) I want Diet Coke (Coco Chanel facial expressions.)

So if life gives me lemons, I go to the store and get Diet Coke... the lemons get thrown in the trash.

Oct 20 11 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Rich Burroughs wrote:
You've directed? It's hard for me to imagine anyone who has directed novice actors making that statement.

>>>>> Yep.  In fact, I make that statement precisely because I've had to work with a lot of novice actors.  And I really do enjoy it.  You have to enjoy putting in the effort.

The examples you cite are exceptions.

>>>>> Exception to what?  Are you saying most actors are good actors and bad actors are the exception?  Or are you saying bad actors turning in a good performance due to the efforts of a good director are the exception?  Either way...my point is still: there are plenty of bad actors out there that at some point or another give a good performance.  I'm willing to bet that a decent percentage of them are due to the efforts of a good director.

Keanu has give a lot of bad performances. I don't even think he was that great in Gus's film but he wasn't bad enough to wreck it. And I'm sure there was rehearsal that went into it, Gus didn't get him to that point in a few hours.

>>>>>> My 'ex' worked with Gus on that film.  I think it was more about Gus using Keanu well...though we obviously disagree on the quality of the work to begin with.

If a novice model shows up at my door and is at that stage where she doesn't even know what to do with her hands, I might get a few good images but it's not likely to be a very good shoot. There's only so much you can do, especially in a few hours. I strive to get good images with everyone I shoot, but what they bring to the table has a lot to do with it.

>>>>>> Absolutely.  No one's debating that.  The question was again from someone who wanted to get the most out of the shoot and was wondering if there was anything *he*, the photographer, could do.

Oct 20 11 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:

Thank you all so much for the advice.

Here are some of my scenic shots:

Taken with my Canon mark II 5d:
http://mkimageshawaii.photoshelter.com/ … FYpAvJU1M/

and

Taken with a Kodak Z981:
http://mkimageshawaii.photoshelter.com/ … k3oH201pk/

Beautiful scenery.  I gotta get to Hawaii some day!

Oct 20 11 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Mosttry wrote:
>>>>> Exception to what?  Are you saying most actors are good actors and bad actors are the exception?  Or are you saying bad actors turning in a good performance due to the efforts of a good director are the exception?  Either way...my point is still: there are plenty of bad actors out there that at some point or another give a good performance.  I'm willing to bet that a decent percentage of them are due to the efforts of a good director.

I'm saying that bad actors giving a good performance are exceptions. I don't think there are plenty of them. You've named one that I think is even debatable. And the exceptions are usually when someone is basically playing themselves.

Acting is a skill. Modeling is a skill. You're just not going to take someone who hasn't trained and doesn't have talent, and get really good work out of them. You can get less bad work out of them. Maybe ok work. If someone is awkward and doesn't know how to use their hands, good luck getting good images out of them.

Oct 20 11 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Saxon

Gadsden, Alabama, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:

Why not?

Cause then you have look through 800 photos...

I wouldn't do that even if I was getting paid.

I've started realizing that just the ~100-200 I shoot is too much and have been trying to cut that back.

Oct 20 11 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:
Thank you Koa!

When it is my shoot, I already have images in my mind. This was her shoot and she already had a location that she wanted. I had not seen it before. I was not a fan of it when i saw it. She said she only wanted head shots and wasn't interested in full body shots. I really wasn't "feeling it" but wanted to give her what she asked for. So for this session, yes, I was winging it hoping something would come out.

I did show her some images on my camera but that didn't seem to make her adjust.

I know that the responsibilty rests on my shoulders as I can see through the lens, not her. Are there any techniques that can be done? I tried making her laugh to get a natural smile but she would turn her head away as she laughed.

I would try avoid shooting when you're not "feeling" it; or else learn a way to make yourself feel it.

Oct 20 11 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I did a shoot  a model asked me for once.   We were on location and she complained it was cold.   I said, it was chilly but you knew that before you came out.   She stop complaining but it was oblivious that she was cold and her expressions showed it.   So, I stopped shooting.   She said she wanted to continue but, I said no.   You have to know when to cut your losses and 800 images is WAY past that line.    The ideal of TF is that we both benefit if that isn't going to be the case.   Then  why are you shooting?   Koa has said it correctly.   We as photographers are totally responsible for what we shoot.   If things aren't right then stop shooting.   Correct it if possible but don't continue hoping things will improve on their own.

However sometimes models loosen up and get into the session.   It can be hard to know if that will happen.   Yet if after 25 or so shots it hasn't odds are it may not.   You have to know to when to stop.

Oct 20 11 04:29 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why would you shoot 800 photos?

You do realize some of the best photographers in the world take maybe 2 or 3 pictures?

As a photographer, you must know how to direct the model and tell them what you want, as a model, we cannot read your mind. Also, what is your energy level?

As a model, if we work with someone who is dull and has no energy, it is hard to be like ALL HAPPY and full of energy like we just consumed 10 cans of jolt or redbulls.

A good photo shoot has to have lots of energy, has to be fun, otherwise it will be awkward and the pictures will suck.

Oct 20 11 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

With this thread in mind after my last post, I went out and shot me a non-model. An MUA, who hadn't done any modeling for a bonafide photographer before. Modeling INHO isn't having the skill to pose & express with zero-direction, but rather the ability to take direction *well*, and perhaps occasionally come up with some sh** on her own while I'm fiddling with my equipment or wtvr. A stubborn mule of a model is no model, but a *person* who takes direction well and tries to follow it energetically...that is the type of model I prefer shooting with. I may be biased however, as my preference goes to the noobs with pleasant dispositions...

One of my MUAs, as-captured by me when we planned a shoot regardless of whether or not we ever secured a model...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111020/19/4ea0d8f9a3f76_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111020/19/4ea0d8f5db92f_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111020/19/4ea0d900d004b_m.jpg

IMHO alone, as always;

~Danny

Oct 20 11 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Janos - wrote:
Why would you shoot 800 photos?

You do realize some of the best photographers in the world take maybe 2 or 3 pictures?

As a photographer, you must know how to direct the model and tell them what you want, as a model, we cannot read your mind. Also, what is your energy level?

As a model, if we work with someone who is dull and has no energy, it is hard to be like ALL HAPPY and full of energy like we just consumed 10 cans of jolt or redbulls.

A good photo shoot has to have lots of energy, has to be fun, otherwise it will be awkward and the pictures will suck.

Well-said. I agree, the high-energy needs to be on BOTH sides of the camera. The two need to feed off of each other (model/shooter), and practice some teamwork! Lol!

IMHO alone, as always;

~Danny

Oct 20 11 11:14 pm Link