Forums > General Industry > Top Fashion Models with Tattoos - A Reality Check

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Mark wrote:
ok - its an idiotic western world trend.

Tattooing has a long tradition (and controversy!) in many non-western cultures, as well. I wrote my senior thesis on Japanese woodblock prints of the Edo period (1603-1868), and images of heavily tattooed warriors was a big sub-genre of ukiyo-e. Their interest in tattoos as an aesthetic practice furthermore was influenced by Chinese imagery of the same thematic substance. Not to mention countless tribes throughout the world who use tattooing as a ritual.

Obviously this is tangential to the original OP and I apologize for being nit-picky but I have to speak up about this particular fact smile

ETA: I still have some of the books from my research. Just found one! Here is an interesting one for anyone who cares. "Tattoos of the Floating World: Ukiyo-e motifs in the Japanese Tattoo", Takahiro Kitamura, KIT Publishers.
https://images.us.viewbook.com/b69a42e7962d15fc2f11c3097881b4a0_small.jpg

Jan 24 12 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I like tattoos, doesn't mean I would shoot a model with crazy, massive colour tattoos all over their body.

Tattoos have their interesting factor but at the end of the day, the models that get them are models that have been in the industry for awhile and have "made it". So getting a tattoo now that they are more well known and have a client base they aren't worried about who will hire them if they get a little tattoo.

Models have to be smart when going into this industry. You want a tattoo, cool go for it but be ready to get less jobs because you are pretty much a nobody. Why would they hire a nobody with a tattoo when they can hire a nobody without a tattoo and make it less annoying for them when it comes to retouching etc.

I'm all for tattoos but people have to be smart and realistic. It's like a 5'6 model saying she wants to do fashion/runway.... NOT going to happen LOL

Jan 25 12 03:31 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

John Fisher wrote:
I dunno, Udor. Recently I was discussing a model who had a tattoo with a booker here in South Beach. He said: I like her, however I really don't want to start every discussion with a client by saying, "I have this great new girl for you to see, but..........."

Well... I think that my point was that many fashion models do have tattoos and not automatically a career ender as constantly guaranteed by the glamour/art doomsayer crowd, when giving advise about a segment that they are not part in...

Honestly, I really don't have a clue about the fashion scene in Miami..., never shot Miami fashion week. I only shot a promdress catalog once in DelRay Beach (for Alfred Angelo) in runway style... not recalling if the models had tattoos...

But here... it seems to be a little different. Not desired... but more accepted.

Jan 25 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

op.  All fine an dandy.

You may hire them.

Jan 25 12 07:54 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

glumpy wrote:
I want to learn tattoo removal.
It's going to be a boom industry pretty soon when people realise they are just a fad and look like crap when they get older and the tatts fade. There will be more people trying to get the things removed than put on.

Why the hell anyone would do something so permanant and expensive and painful to have recitfied to themselves as a trend or fashion thing is beyond me.

Yeah, yeah, I'll cop a load for saying all this but like other things I have said that have been unpopular, the fullness of time will prove what i'm saying to be perfectly true.

Right... roll

Jan 25 12 08:05 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Also, if a photographer does not like my tattoos, well tough shit. Don't work with me, the end. I probably wouldn't want to work with someone with that type of mindset anyway.

Jan 25 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Well, I shot the ads and catalog stuff for Easyrider's Roadware, and if the models DIDN'T have any ink, they was "outta here"  .  .  .  wink  That being said, small tats in out of the way spots never seem to be a deterrent, and for specific markets (sk8, urban, surf, bike, motorhead), they're almost a necessity  .  .  .

SOS

Jan 25 12 08:16 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Natasha Ferguson wrote:
Also, if a photographer does not like my tattoos, well tough shit. Don't work with me, the end. I probably wouldn't want to work with someone with that type of mindset anyway.

I like yer tattoos  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jan 25 12 08:17 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

sosdezign wrote:

I like yer tattoos  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Thanks! smile

Jan 25 12 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

udor wrote:
P.S.: My pet peeve is people calling tattoos "tats"  https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

An old friend of mine would drive you nuts then. He's been a tattoo artist for over 45 years and hardcore biker for longer.

He is universally known (by his choice) as ... "Tatts".

Jan 25 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Raquel Rayne wrote:

Tattooing has a long tradition (and controversy!) in many non-western cultures, as well. I wrote my senior thesis on Japanese woodblock prints of the Edo period (1603-1868), and images of heavily tattooed warriors was a big sub-genre of ukiyo-e. Their interest in tattoos as an aesthetic practice furthermore was influenced by Chinese imagery of the same thematic substance. Not to mention countless tribes throughout the world who use tattooing as a ritual.

Obviously this is tangential to the original OP and I apologize for being nit-picky but I have to speak up about this particular fact smile

ETA: I still have some of the books from my research. Just found one! Here is an interesting one for anyone who cares. "Tattoos of the Floating World: Ukiyo-e motifs in the Japanese Tattoo", Takahiro Kitamura, KIT Publishers.
https://images.us.viewbook.com/b69a42e7962d15fc2f11c3097881b4a0_small.jpg

I have been "studying" tattoo history, collecting books... had an anthropological interest in it... and especially about Japanese tattoos.

I am sure you came about the name Horicho of Asakusa... he's the one that tattooed my sleeves, chest and shoulder blades (hikae).

Jan 25 12 11:09 am Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:
I have been "studying" tattoo history, collecting books... had an anthropological interest in it... and especially about Japanese tattoos.

I am sure you came about the name Horicho of Asakusa... he's the one that tattooed my sleeves, chest and shoulder blades (hikae).

Sorry, I am not very familiar with contemporary Japanese tattoo artists.

I studied the Pre-Meiji Edo period woodblock print depiction of and fascination with irezumi...not tattoos themselves. Even that wasn't the main focus of my thesis, so I am certainly no expert in this sub-genre of mass-produced art of the period.

Jan 25 12 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

noticeably absent from this thread ...contributions from any fashion models who actually have tattoos

Jan 25 12 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

Garry k wrote:
noticeably absent from this thread ...contributions from any fashion models who actually have tattoos

Unfortunately very few fashion models frequent MM.  I would imagine that is why none have chimed in.  I know quite a bit with tattoos, but they're all small and in places usually out of plain sight if wearing most wardrobe.  Usually the wrist of back of the neck.

Oh, almost forgot...girl in my avatar had a couple; the most visible being the one on the side of her hand (which is to say, it's not that visible if you're not looking directly at it).

Jan 25 12 11:52 pm Link

Model

Rental Car Industries

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Tattoos have been around since ancient times. They aren't going anywhere. They, like swearing and unnatural hair color, are being more widely accepted across the board. This does not a fad make. Fads are things like silly bands. Tattoos have been around long enough that they are a staple if anything. There are people that will get them and people that will not. Just because you do not like them does not mean that they will just go away. Especially when they've always been around and always will be.

Funky colored hair, piercings, swearing, tattoos are more widely accepted because people are realizing the way you dress or speak has nothing to do with your moral compass. It's your actions.

As for the industry, I have been around fashion for a long time. I've seen newbie models get runway with a half sleeve. It's not about a nobody with or without tattoos. It's about the quality of a portfolio and your walk. Let's face it, industry knows an amazing port accompanied by a flawless walk are few and far between. They aren't gonna pass it up over tattoos.

Ability to book jobs with tattoos are going to come down to a few factors: The photographer, the designer, and the agency. If a clothing designer is against tattoos, they will pass you over. If a photographer is against tats they'll pass you over. If an agency is against tats they won't sign you. If they like them, no issue.

Let's face it, retouching after or covering with make-up before takes no time. I would think for often than not, it's not going to be an issue in getting paid jobs. Unless the above stated are just completely against them. Generally though, in what is considered an artistic industry, that kind of closed-mindedness is going to be rare.

I will say, if you have racist, pro-hate tattoos or something similar, that would probably harm you more than a tattoo itself. Clothing designers don't want a nazi symbol associated with their designs. Probably even if they believed it. Also, copyrighted characters. Winnie the Pooh, Hello Kitty, etc. Marketing 101.

Also, Alessandra Ambrosio had tattoos before she got into the industry. For the record.

Jan 26 12 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

In the Telegraph today, a feature author suggested that the number of tattoos a person has is inversely proportional to their IQ. I lolled.

Jan 26 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Raquel Rayne wrote:

Sorry, I am not very familiar with contemporary Japanese tattoo artists.

I studied the Pre-Meiji Edo period woodblock print depiction of and fascination with irezumi...not tattoos themselves. Even that wasn't the main focus of my thesis, so I am certainly no expert in this sub-genre of mass-produced art of the period.

Well... although he is a contemporary, he is one of the last old masters (in his 70's) who is a traditionally trained artist. His designs are based on the old woodblock prints, such as Kuniyoshi etc. The motifs are deeply rooted in Japanese tradition.

Jan 26 12 08:19 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garry k wrote:

Most of them aren't on MM.

Jan 26 12 08:20 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fashion Photographer wrote:
In the Telegraph today, a feature author suggested that the number of tattoos a person has is inversely proportional to their IQ. I lolled.

Oh the lollery. Yeah. That's hilarious, dude.

Jan 26 12 08:22 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:

Natasha Ferguson wrote:
Most of them aren't on MM.

Not only that... I think some of the fashion models on MM do not participate in the fora (forum participation are only about 1,000 members... my personal guess... maybe completely off), I know a lot of members who never go to the fora at all!!!

I also think that some of the smarter fashion models don't see the reason to defend themselves against negative arguments by mainly glamour photographers who do not pay their bills.

Jan 26 12 08:57 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Fashion Photographer wrote:

There were actually research being done about the demographics of who has tattoos and about their educational and income levels... and, lo and behold... they were above average.

Also, it was said that many tattooed people are in the creative and intellectual fields.

Although you do have some pretty stupid people who are tattooed as well... and if that group was the focus of the author of the article... it pretty much hit bullseye... smile

Jan 26 12 09:00 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

udor wrote:

There were actually research being done about the demographics of who has tattoos and about their educational and income levels... and, lo and behold... they were above average.

Also, it was said that many tattooed people are in the creative and intellectual fields.

Although you do have some pretty stupid people who are tattooed as well... and if that group was the focus of the author of the article... it pretty much hit bullseye... smile

Just like there's lot of stupid people without tattoos.

Jan 26 12 09:11 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

udor wrote:

Garry k wrote:

Not only that... I think some of the fashion models on MM do not participate in the fora (forum participation are only about 1,000 members... my personal guess... maybe completely off), I know a lot of members who never go to the fora at all!!!

I also think that some of the smarter fashion models don't see the reason to defend themselves against negative arguments by mainly glamour photographers who do not pay their bills.

Damnit, stop making sense udor!!!!! tongue

Jan 26 12 09:11 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Natasha Ferguson wrote:
Just like there's lot of stupid people without tattoos.

Looking at just the numbers... stupid people without tattoos are countless more than stupid tattooed people... in the 100's of Millions... big_smile

udor wrote:

Natasha Ferguson wrote:
Damnit, stop making sense udor!!!!! tongue

Sometimes, I just can't help it! wink

Jan 26 12 10:06 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Who cares if a photographer likes or dislikes tattoos, it only matter what the client likes or does not like for their brand.  I shoot what I am hired to shoot and ideally don't care whom the client casts for a model; There is a tendency to not want tattoos models, just looking at commercia and advertising ork out their today.  Granted it may be totally different based on ones clients.

Jan 26 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Who cares if a photographer likes or dislikes tattoos, it only matter what the client likes or does not like for their brand.  I shoot what I am hired to shoot and ideally don't care whom the client casts for a model; There is a tendency to not want tattoos models, just looking at commercial and advertising work out their today.  Granted it may be totally different based on ones clients.

Well said! I also want to add the geographic differences and concentration of the market (e.g. NYC has a different concentration of models, clients and agencies... then, let's say a town with population 853 in a less densely populated region).

Jan 26 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Cross-posting this from another thread:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lza4wqYwfg1r270a3o1_1280.jpg

Feb 12 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Matty272

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom

glumpy wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I'll cop a load for saying all this but like other things I have said that have been unpopular, the fullness of time will prove what i'm saying to be perfectly true.

As you appear to be extremely confident about how the future will pan out, I wonder if I could trouble you for the UK national lottery numbers for this coming Saturday? A PM will be good as I'd rather have the win to myself, selfish as that might be

Feb 12 12 12:36 pm Link

Model

Natalie-M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Matty272 wrote:
As you appear to be extremely confident about how the future will pan out, I wonder if I could trouble you for the UK national lottery numbers for this coming Saturday? A PM will be good as I'd rather have the win to myself, selfish as that might be

https://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/flirtysmile3.gif

Feb 12 12 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

udor wrote:
Cross-posting this from another thread:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lza4wqYwfg1r270a3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329135597&Signature=nFSYJ9l%2BufVdiM%2Bbf3Lq2grHTyo%3D

DISCLAIMER: I have no opinion either way on the subject. If anyone wants a tatoo he or she should be free to get it. I have no experience in the subject. I just have two questions as I want to learn.

1) Are those tatoos on that model permanant?

2) At fashion shows, do they ever use temporary tatoos?

3) When a fashion model with a permanant tatoo is used either in a campaign or a runway show, is she ever used another time for a campaign or a show?

4) Does the 'look' of the photographers, make up artists and other behind the scenes people influence at all the look of the models or what is considered to be fashionable AND do those behind the scenes people follow conventional mainstream fashion?

(I have been on TV or movie sets either as security, first aid, or risk management/underwriting. I have seen all sorts of personal style among the crews and I would see the same faces regardless of the genre.)

Feb 12 12 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Another question I have is about the photgraphers.

In a fashion show or a major ad campaign, what influence, if any, does the photographer have over the model hired? Either the individual model selected or such things like whether he or she has tatoos?

Feb 13 12 08:02 am Link

Model

Jordayne Wise

Baltimore, Maryland, US

to everyone.............. freedom of speech.. i love my tattoos lol. that is all. i love this forum post...

Feb 13 12 12:00 pm Link

Model

Kivan Tatlitug

Adana, Adana, Turkey

I think models with tattoos could go far with modelling depending on their talent and work, if a model is really talented and got what it takes then some tattoos won't be a great obstacle, I have had two tattoos since I started modelling and My tattoos appeared in most of my photoshoots, moreover I won the best model of the world and best model of Turkey years ago.

Feb 17 12 09:15 am Link

Model

Shine Kyors

New York, New York, US

Its funny. I was looking on google for models with tattoos and i saw this i am glad to know that there are many models with tattoos because i have tattoos and am working on building a career in modeling. i honestly feel like if your work is great and its something your really passionate about some tattoos wouldnnt really effect the model getting work. Though there are photographers out there who wouldnt agree .

Dec 15 12 09:33 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

veypurr wrote:
Models with tattoos should be banned from all runways worldwide and be forced onto there hands and knees to be used as human chairs backstage at NY fashion week so that the true high fashion models without tattoos can sit on there backs while they are getting there hair and make-up done.

Tee hee! Oh I love this one. Sarcasm can be fun.

Good one.
I know this is being posted to again, (love the thread...) yet I overlooked this post before.

Yup, I love resurrected threads, I missed posts since I last visited and yes, I follow the tattoos threads.

Really, banned from all runways.

Even at my age, and with my NON small tattoos, I really enjoy doing local runways and am not the only one with ink. Granted, I probably have the most on any of the models I walk with. wink!
Jen

Dec 16 12 08:26 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Interesting, Udor....
And I, too, have seen models with tattoos on the runway, in shoots, ect.

I still feel that it is up to the casting call, the clothing designer, the runway coordinator(s).

As a tattooed model, I have been blessed with a list of designers that were happy to have me collaborate with them, on a runway as well as in editorial form.
I have also come across the photographer or designer that won't budge from their personal preference and take on a tattooed model for ANYTHING.

It's not status, it's no expertise, its to the individual(s).

Dec 17 12 01:46 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Tattoos like modeling and photography are a form of expression. I find it funny how many people in the industry don't see it that way. *shrug*

Dec 17 12 01:52 pm Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Jojo West wrote:
Tattoos like modeling and photography are a form of expression. I find it funny how many people in the industry don't see it that way. *shrug*

*claps* +1000 ...agreed, Jojo!

Dec 17 12 04:09 pm Link