Forums > General Industry > Michigan- Why don't we have more events?

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

This is a general question so I hope it is in the right forum as I hoped to hear from photographers and models both. I watch the events for shoots in Detroit and in Michigan and other than the DEAC I never see any events posted. Why is this? I see Ohio, Indiana, and every major and city and state around us but never anything here. It's not like we are lacking in quality models, maybe we don't have the abundance the warmer climate states have but damn. I just don't get it.
   So to other photographers and models of Michigan and even states close enough to travel to Michigan. Is there really that much of a lack of interest in organizing fun shooting events?  If you are interested what type of events would you be up for? Maybe we can organize a new group to have them.

Dec 10 11 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Most successful photographers in the area are simply busy with other projects or not on MM.  Midwest Photography Workshops has several a month but is not on MM:

http://www.mpw.com/Calender_page.php

Dec 10 11 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Tran

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I am definitely down to organize some shoots in michigan. I've been wondering the same thing, i feel like michigan just isn't  into this type of photography. Most photographers i know around my area are wedding photographers.

Dec 10 11 11:52 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

What, like group shoots?

Dec 10 11 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
What, like group shoots?

How about ANY type? Why limit the types of shoots? If would could get enough involved we could choose and plan different types of shoots at different locations. I know one photographer who plans a lake Michigan shoot every summer and has a pretty good turn out. I have not been able to make it due to the fact it has never fallen when I could make it. But I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Dec 10 11 04:34 pm Link

Model

Nyxiin the Vyxiin

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I don't think we lack, I just think no one ever gets around to do such things. Michigan I find seems to be a bit of a lazy state after the economy crashed. But I think it would rock if such events were available.

Dec 10 11 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Lilith Crimson wrote:
I don't think we lack, I just think no one ever gets around to do such things. Michigan I find seems to be a bit of a lazy state after the economy crashed. But I think it would rock if such events were available.

Lazy? Really?  The opposite has been my experience. Everyone I know is busting their ass to make things happen for them. Some friends of mine have started 2 companies in the last 12 months.  A lot of people have really come together and push their Michigan pride. But then that's just what I've seen and my experiences.
   Your in a great area to get some events organized, college town full of a lot of models/wanna be's smile

Dec 10 11 09:05 pm Link

Model

Nyxiin the Vyxiin

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

Lazy? Really?  The opposite has been my experience. Everyone I know is busting their ass to make things happen for them. Some friends of mine have started 2 companies in the last 12 months.  A lot of people have really come together and push their Michigan pride. But then that's just what I've seen and my experiences.
   Your in a great area to get some events organized, college town full of a lot of models/wanna be's smile

Lol I'm in the boondocks out here!

It is true. Perhaps when I go in for some local shoots I could talk to the photographers aboit this and get their two cents!

Dec 10 11 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Lilith Crimson wrote:

Lol I'm in the boondocks out here!

It is true. Perhaps when I go in for some local shoots I could talk to the photographers aboit this and get their two cents!

As long as it's not with a guy who goes by Kazo out your way I'd be interested to hear.  lol For your sake I hope ya dont know him

Dec 10 11 09:51 pm Link

Model

Nyxiin the Vyxiin

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

As long as it's not with a guy who goes by Kazo out your way I'd be interested to hear.  lol For your sake I hope ya dont know him

Nope, never heard of him.

Dec 10 11 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Start your own, perhaps?
Get a few people in your area interested, then invite a couple of guest speakers...

Dec 11 11 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

How about ANY type? Why limit the types of shoots? If would could get enough involved we could choose and plan different types of shoots at different locations. I know one photographer who plans a lake Michigan shoot every summer and has a pretty good turn out. I have not been able to make it due to the fact it has never fallen when I could make it. But I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Kinda depends on what one thinks is pretty good.

DEAC is the only thing I've seen of continuing decent consequence.

The rest I've seen over the years are cesspools IMO.

Dec 11 11 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

This is not new.  When I lived near Dayton, Oh, we had guys come down from Michigan to attend model shoots (15 years ago).  Long drive to participate.

Dec 11 11 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:
maybe we don't have the abundance the warmer climate other states have but damn. I just don't get it.

Now you get it.  We have very comfortable weather here thru-out most the year and an abundance of events every month.  Models are usually alittle thinner than your average female with alittle less insulation.  They get cold rather easily and HATE freezing their booties off during a photoshoot... wink

Dec 11 11 07:43 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I have often wondered the same thing.  I am mystified that with a town the size of Grand Rapids that there isn't more activity like workshops or group shoots.  I know a lot of people don't think highly of group shoots, but at least it would be something.

I have made a number of trips around the lake to Racine and Milwaukee for various events and have had a quite a good time.  I just wish that I didn't have to drive through Chicago..

Dec 11 11 08:43 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd love to see an outdoor group shoot within 100 miles of Detroit, perhaps on a farm or similar location where permission to use the property can be obtained and it is off the beaten path enough to shoot nudes comfortably. Would be awesome if there were older buildings and various decrepit equipment scattered around to use as well. Of course this would have to be in the "warmer" months between May and September or the models would complain.

Dec 11 11 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I went to a shoot in the Arizona desert in October.  It was 90 degrees.  smile

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#25664813

Dec 11 11 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I went to a shoot in the Arizona desert in October.  It was 90 degrees.  smile

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#25664813

Yeah thanks again Jerry, we chatted a couple years back about the Az shoots. They have a TON out there. My wife still talks about moving out there once in awhile. smile

Dec 11 11 03:25 pm Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

Lilith Crimson wrote:

you couldnt be more wrong.

Dec 11 11 04:12 pm Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:

Now you get it.  We have very comfortable weather here thru-out most the year and an abundance of events every month.  Models are usually alittle thinner than your average female with alittle less insulation.  They get cold rather easily and HATE freezing their booties off during a photoshoot... wink

I'll freeze my ass off at a shoot...

cause theres always spiked hot cocoa after!!!!

Dec 11 11 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

-Jen- wrote:

That sounds great.   smile

Dec 11 11 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

-Jen- wrote:

Is that what it takes Jen, spiked hot cocoa? smile  Hope you and your sister are doing well. Have a great Christmas.

Dec 11 11 05:52 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

david birdsong has events
https://www.modelmayhem.com/107091

Dec 12 11 05:13 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

StromePhoto wrote:
I have often wondered the same thing.  I am mystified that with a town the size of Grand Rapids that there isn't more activity like workshops or group shoots.  I know a lot of people don't think highly of group shoots, but at least it would be something.

I have made a number of trips around the lake to Racine and Milwaukee for various events and have had a quite a good time.  I just wish that I didn't have to drive through Chicago..

ferry?

Dec 12 11 05:14 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I have given some thought to that, but a round trip with a vehicle is about $300.  I would have to drive about an hour and a half in the opposite direction of Chicago in order to get to the ferry dock.

Dec 12 11 05:33 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Faith EnFire wrote:

david birdsong has events
https://www.modelmayhem.com/107091

Yes, David deserves a shout out for his workshops.  They are the only ones in Michigan that I can think of that are done on a regular basis.  David is located on the east side of the state, but there is nothing really going on over here on the west side.

Dec 12 11 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

StromePhoto wrote:

Yes, David deserves a shout out for his workshops.  They are the only ones in Michigan that I can think of that are done on a regular basis.  David is located on the east side of the state, but there is nothing really going on over here on the west side.

I am aware of and have met David, in fact his daughters used to babysit for us and we still deal with one for our phones. smile  But I'm not all that interested in work shop's. I'd prefer to see more group shoots throughout the state kind of like the ones Robert at RN2B does at Lake Michigan every summer. Props to Dave though, he does awesome work.

Dec 12 11 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Elevate your aspirations

Dec 12 11 09:17 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

I get quite a few people from Michigan who drive to my workshops here in Peoria, Illinois, so I know there's people around you with interest. 

Just as importantly as having people to market to though is to have a product that they will buy.  If you don't then they will drive right by your event to get to mine and some others that are out of your area.

So come up with a good plan and implement it correctly, and you'll be fine.

Dec 12 11 09:19 am Link

Photographer

RnR photography

Hopkins, Michigan, US

I posted an event at my studio this past spring, out of 5 models, 2 hairdressers, 1 makeup artist and two photographers, only two photographers showed up so we ended up shooting with my wife and shop talked a couple hours.  I just purchased 2 homes and 5 barns on 19 acres and would love to set up some group shoots but after the last one I have a sour taste in my mouth!

Dec 15 11 03:24 pm Link

Model

Nikki Heat

Novi, Michigan, US

It is frustrating to check the events page and come up empty all the time for Michigan.  As the OP said other than DEAC - nada!!  I'd be interested if something was available.

Dec 16 11 08:44 am Link

Model

Nikki Heat

Novi, Michigan, US

RnR photography wrote:
I posted an event at my studio this past spring, out of 5 models, 2 hairdressers, 1 makeup artist and two photographers, only two photographers showed up so we ended up shooting with my wife and shop talked a couple hours.  I just purchased 2 homes and 5 barns on 19 acres and would love to set up some group shoots but after the last one I have a sour taste in my mouth!

I don't get that.  If I say I'm doing something you best believe I'll be there prepared and on time!!  Maybe it comes with maturity.  Where is Hopkins?

Dec 16 11 08:45 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I just moved here (to Detroit) from East TN. When I was there I co-managed a few meet and greets (with mini shoots if people wanted to) in 2010. It's not that difficult if you can find a decent venue. The one we used there was a little community center. No nudity allowed at these though, not sure if that's an issue for you or not.

That being said, DEAC is pretty awesome. I posed for and helped with the last one and I think it's great. But of course I can see wanting more options too, or to shoot at different times or more times of the year, etc.

Dec 16 11 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Shankar Photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I would be interested to learn from you all. Please let me know if there is an event planned in MI. I know that Mary Dupui in Pontiac holds several events through her meet up group. However, they are in the evening / night and Pontiac is too far from ann Arbor for a late night event.

Jan 11 12 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian_Bacon

Swartz Creek, Michigan, US

There is also the Lansing Exposure Group Shoot (LEGS)  in which I attend. They set up around the Lansing area about twice a year.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=784805

There is also one around Port Huron

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/spamph/

One for the tri-cities (Saginaw/ Bay City / Midland)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/tri.c … phy.group/

and one more just forming for the Flint area.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/170551859709414/

Jan 11 12 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Brian_Bacon

Swartz Creek, Michigan, US

Jan 11 12 09:34 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

StromePhoto wrote:

there was another guy. photo name began with a b, but I don't remember his name.

(and yeah the ferry is expensive for regular trips...but I still want to go one day)

Jan 12 12 04:58 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

Nikki Heat wrote:

I don't get that.  If I say I'm doing something you best believe I'll be there prepared and on time!!  Maybe it comes with maturity.  Where is Hopkins?

a bit North of Kalamazoo

Jan 12 12 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

AlexanderPhotographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

yeah, I'd like to get involved in anything in MI! smile

Jan 12 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Tran

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

If any of you guys are looking to shoot, I have a shoot coming up in 3 weeks with a handful of models. Studio in GR.

Jan 24 12 01:26 pm Link