Forums > General Industry > Posing nude for a gay photographer...

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

My assumption would be that a woman might find it more comfortable posing nude for a photographer who is gay, while a heterosexual male model might find it less so - but I really have nothing on which to base that assumption. 

I'm sure there are many factors which are far more significant, like the level of professionalism with which the photographer approaches the shoot, the interaction between photographer and model, whether or not the shoot is paid v. trade, etc.

but everything else aside (and assuming there will be no groping, leering, or drooling), how much does the sexual orientation of the photographer affect the experience of posing nude?

Jan 06 12 06:17 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 27527

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

j laurence wrote:
My assumption would be that a woman might find it more comfortable posing nude for a photographer who is gay, while a heterosexual male model might find it less so - but I really have nothing on which to base that assumption. 

I'm sure there are many factors which are far more significant, like the level of professionalism with which the photographer approaches the shoot, the interaction between photographer and model, whether or not the shoot is paid v. trade, etc.

but everything else aside (and assuming there will be no groping, leering, or drooling), how much does the sexual orientation of the photographer affect the experience of posing nude?

How would I ever find out a photographers sexual orientation prior to shooting? I don't talk about my sex life when I'm trying to set up a shoot with someone, and I certainly don't ask them about theirs.

Jan 06 12 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

Posts: 15867

New York, New York, US

lol

this sounds like an issue for people that just got into the industry


in general - from my observations - sexual orientation isn't really an issue. its just: lets create sexy appealing and aesthetic photos

Jan 06 12 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Posts: 3474

Upland, California, US

How is one's sexual orientation relevant for a nude shoot? Hmm ...


Gabby

Jan 06 12 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Christian Nyback

Posts: 987

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I will definately be working on my lisp from now on wink

Jan 06 12 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Shy L

Posts: 584

Burlington, Vermont, US

how would you even find that out?  If someone mentioned their sexual orientation to me in shoot discussions I would find it a little odd.

Jan 06 12 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

Excellent point. 

The relevancy and appropriateness of that conversation would be questionable in one's first interaction, but realistically, being gay is more socially relevant than simply knowing whether someone prefers innies or outties. 

While I appreciate the fact that, in many situations, openly discussing one's private proclivities is decidedly gauche, in practice we regularly and necessarily make decisions based on our impressions of people whether we like it or not.

I was just wondering how much gender and orientation affect the act of posing nude, given that there's a certain level of vulnerability in the process.

Jan 06 12 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Christian Nyback

Posts: 987

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

j laurence wrote:
Excellent point. 

The relevancy and appropriateness of that conversation would be questionable in one's first interaction, but realistically, being gay is more socially relevant than simply knowing whether someone prefers innies or outties. 

While I appreciate the fact that, in many situations, openly discussing one's private proclivities is decidedly gauche, in practice we regularly and necessarily make decisions based on our impressions of people whether we like it or not.

I was just wondering how much gender and orientation affect the act of posing nude, given that there's a certain level of vulnerability in the process.

There should be ZERO difference based on gender or sexual orientation.  This is (or should be), a professional situation. If a model is posing nude, who or what is behind the lens shouldn't matter. Unless the photographers nickname is "uncle pervy".  wink

Jan 06 12 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Nelia

Posts: 2160

San Francisco, California, US

j laurence wrote:
My assumption would be that a woman might find it more comfortable posing nude for a photographer who is gay, while a heterosexual male model might find it less so - but I really have nothing on which to base that assumption. 

I'm sure there are many factors which are far more significant, like the level of professionalism with which the photographer approaches the shoot, the interaction between photographer and model, whether or not the shoot is paid v. trade, etc.

but everything else aside (and assuming there will be no groping, leering, or drooling), how much does the sexual orientation of the photographer affect the experience of posing nude?

Why would someone think to be concerned about an individual's sexual preference and why would you care less?  It baffles the mind the way some people think!

Jan 06 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Posts: 5213

Upland, California, US

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
How is one's sexual orientation relevant for a nude shoot? Hmm ...


Gabby

Actually, the answer is simple. A model should be more concerned with a gay photographer that is femine as while she is naked he may take advantage of her. Just think there she is naked out in the middle of nowhere and as she is distracted he leaves with her clothes. She is stuck somewhere strange naked and he has added to his wardrobe.

Jan 06 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Posts: 6012

Fairfax, Virginia, US

j laurence wrote:
My assumption would be that a woman might find it more comfortable posing nude for a photographer who is gay, while a heterosexual male model might find it less so - but I really have nothing on which to base that assumption. 

I'm sure there are many factors which are far more significant, like the level of professionalism with which the photographer approaches the shoot, the interaction between photographer and model, whether or not the shoot is paid v. trade, etc.

but everything else aside (and assuming there will be no groping, leering, or drooling), how much does the sexual orientation of the photographer affect the experience of posing nude?

If a photographer is a professional, sexual orientation should make no difference.

Now, for an inexperienced model, they might be more comfortable getting nude for a particular sex..but that's the model's hangup.  And frankly, there are things that a photographer can do that have nothing to do with sexual orientation that can make a model uncomfortable.

Ed

Jan 06 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Catnapping

Posts: 3774

Lakeville, Massachusetts, US

I'm sure most female models feel comfortable with me, and my partner is comfortable with me shooting females.

wink

Jan 06 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

End of the Road Studio

Posts: 168

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Huh?
Does this matter?

Jan 06 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Catnapping

Posts: 3774

Lakeville, Massachusetts, US

Step Above Photography wrote:

Actually, the answer is simple. A model should be more concerned with a gay photographer that is femine as while she is naked he may take advantage of her. Just think there she is naked out in the middle of nowhere and as she is distracted he leaves with her clothes. She is stuck somewhere strange naked and he has added to his wardrobe.

That was fabuloussssth.

Jan 06 12 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Posts: 5213

Upland, California, US

Another thing about a gay photographer is that he may know more about how to dress than she does. He may have better taste. And he may know more about make up. So, in a way she is bested by a man   smile

Jan 06 12 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
lol

this sounds like an issue for people that just got into the industry


in general - from my observations - sexual orientation isn't really an issue. its just: lets create sexy appealing and aesthetic photos

Aha!  Well, seeing as I've just got into the industry (assuming I passed the backiground check) then the issue is relevant to me.

:Given that I've never modeled and have little experience being notably naked (sadly) in front of unfamiliar people, the question didn't strike me as being all that off.  Sorry for wasting your time.

Jan 06 12 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Siren Chaser

Posts: 179

Denver, Colorado, US

If the photographer and model are professionally minded, it will not matter. You are to busy trying to get the shot to worry about your base thoughts kicking in.

Jan 06 12 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Posts: 1756

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Are we supposed to all feel obligated to fuck after a nude shoot? Am I missing something?

Jan 06 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

afplcc wrote:

If a photographer is a professional, sexual orientation should make no difference.

Now, for an inexperienced model, they might be more comfortable getting nude for a particular sex..but that's the model's hangup.  And frankly, there are things that a photographer can do that have nothing to do with sexual orientation that can make a model uncomfortable.

Ed

Frantically licking one's lips or maniacally wringing one's hands are gonna tip the scales regardless of whether or not the photographer is attracted to men or women. 

I suppose seasoned professional nude model would probably be much less affected by the environment, gay photographer or not.  Unless he (or she) is exceptionally noteworthy or creepy.

Jan 06 12 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Posts: 13233

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Shouldn't matter to someone who is the least bit professional.

Jan 06 12 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

Christian Nyback wrote:
There should be ZERO difference based on gender or sexual orientation.  This is (or should be), a professional situation. If a model is posing nude, who or what is behind the lens shouldn't matter. Unless the photographers nickname is "uncle pervy".  wink

My perspective on identifying as queer is more social than sexual, it seems.

Jan 06 12 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Shon D.- Homme

Posts: 3210

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

neutral

Jan 06 12 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

White Lace Studios

Posts: 1719

Mesa, Arizona, US

I got nothing....Seriously nothing... *facepalm*

Jan 06 12 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Posts: 1756

Boston, Massachusetts, US

White Lace Studios wrote:
I got nothing....Seriously nothing... *facepalm*

+1

Jan 06 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Catnapping

Posts: 3774

Lakeville, Massachusetts, US

my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

Jan 06 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Posts: 3606

Temple City, California, US

Unless Flames are comming out of the photographers behinde dont worrie if he Happier than Gay or if his name is Marvin Gay just enjoy the shoot and hope he or she gets you fantastic images.

Jan 06 12 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

karenjerzykphotography wrote:
Are we supposed to all feel obligated to fuck after a nude shoot? Am I missing something?

I guess it would all depend on who is naked and why, and if somebody spiked the punch.  It also depends on what TFP stands for. smile

Jan 06 12 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lifestyle_Images

Posts: 4004

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

MeowMix wrote:
my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

Jan 06 12 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 22405

Portland, Oregon, US

I would think that the sexual orientations of both participants are irrelevant.  Unless, of course, Model Mayhem really is a dating site, despite what every one says.

Jan 06 12 07:34 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

studio36uk

Posts: 22196

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

MeowMix wrote:
my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

No worries, I'm a committed vagitarian.

Studio36

Jan 06 12 07:34 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

MeowMix wrote:
my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

You and your BORING VAGINA.

Jan 06 12 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Siren Chaser

Posts: 179

Denver, Colorado, US

MeowMix wrote:
my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

: - )

Jan 06 12 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Catnapping

Posts: 3774

Lakeville, Massachusetts, US

V Laroche wrote:

You and your BORING VAGINA.

BaHAAAAAAAA

This is why us and our boring vaginas are in Brooklyn on a Friday night posting on the MM forums. Yup.

Jan 06 12 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

j laurence

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

Step Above Photography wrote:
Another thing about a gay photographer is that he may know more about how to dress than she does. He may have better taste. And he may know more about make up. So, in a way she is bested by a man   smile

Pluis it's harder to focus through the viewfinder while you're smiling with your eyes.

Jan 06 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix

Posts: 1304

Vallejo, California, US

i make images of gay models and i make images of straight models and my sexuality or theirs has nothing to do with creating great images. it is the model and it is the light that creates the image, i just capture it at the right moment, frozen in time. i think this is the reason that the models who i have worked with over the years have all enjoyed not only the photographs we create but the time we spent doing so and every model who i have had the pleasure of working with would work with me again. that is part of being a professional at what i do.

Jan 06 12 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Shirley Zhong

Posts: 2156

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

MeowMix wrote:
my vagina and I feel left out.

*pouts*

lol

Jan 06 12 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Posts: 3457

Austin, Texas, US

j laurence wrote:

Frantically licking one's lips or maniacally wringing one's hands are gonna tip the scales regardless of whether or not the photographer is attracted to men or women. 

I suppose seasoned professional nude model would probably be much less affected by the environment, gay photographer or not.  Unless he (or she) is exceptionally noteworthy or creepy.

Welcome to the industry. If this is something you want to do for a living you may want to drop these preconceived notions. People on my set are expected to act professional. Clients and producers alike. Gay, Straight, Rich, Poor, Black, White. Doesn't matter. This is less a comfort thing and more a maturity thing and their is no place in a professional work environment for immature people. This is when you get the GWC and flake claims. People being immature and unprofessional. There is no denying that women and men feel more comfortable naked in front of the same sex but on this board we are talking about professionals and it must be assumed that no sexual desire exists between the co-workers. Personally I have found several of my models very attractive and as a single male it would have been easy to cross that line but as a professional the thought never crosses my mind.

Jan 06 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Posts: 1574

Brooklyn, New York, US

karenjerzykphotography wrote:
Are we supposed to all feel obligated to fuck after a nude shoot? Am I missing something?

Have you heard of Terry Richradson ???

Jan 06 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

j laurence wrote:
I was just wondering how much gender and orientation affect the act of posing nude, given that there's a certain level of vulnerability in the process.

I haven't noticed a lot of vulnerability in the nude models I've shot - if anything they generally seem happier, more confident and empowered with their clothes off.

I'm also somewhat confused by the OP's apparent assumption that everybody wears a badge announcing their sexuality to the rest of the team. I've worked with plenty of people in the industry and on the whole I could probably identify with certainly the sexual orientation of about 10% of them. And regardless, whether they announce their sexuality or not, what people do in their private lives is really not relevant at a photo shoot, nude or otherwise.



Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 06 12 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Korn

Posts: 373

Seattle, Washington, US

This post is absurd.

Jan 06 12 08:05 pm Link