Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Free Critique From Established Beauty Photographer

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Razeal  wrote:
Let me know what I need. Comment here not under my pictures plz!

You have an interesting look. Try to find any professional photographers that are willing to do a trade, and start building your port. I probably wouldn't use too many of the ones that you are currently using, but I do understand that they very well might be the best ones that you have received from those that you've worked with.

If you would like for me to critique any newer images that you submit, please let me know. This also goes for any general questions that you might have, just let me know.

My apologies for such a delayed critique.

Take care.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Elena Antonia Pappas wrote:

Thanks for your advice. I am studying Public Health graduating end of the year.Then going to do my masters degree...and then ???? I really love modelling I took a 2 year gap before starting university. I live in South Africa so its not so easy to get the exposure one needs to go far.I am still waiting for my big break!!!! You never know:) smile

Elana,

You're quite welcome. I hope all has worked out with your academic and modeling endeavors! Hopefully you also caught your 'big break'! Let me know if there are any questions that you might have.

My apologies for such a delayed reply as well. Take care.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Chelsea Kithcart wrote:
Liked :-)

Thanks for the 'like' Chelsea! Also, my apologies for such a delayed critique.

Your port is good. You have variety, which is important. It seems like some images take away from the overall quality of your port though. Always try to display the absolute best images that you can; quality typically is more important than quantity.

Please let me know if you have questions, or if you add new images that you would like for me to critique.

Keep at it!

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

BethanyKay wrote:
Chase, I'd love a critique of my port.  I liked your facebook page today smile

Thanks for the 'like' Bethany, and my apologies for such a delayed critique.

Your port is good. It has quite a variety of looks/feels, which is good. In addition, your look, within each shot, is different and this shows the diversity of your modeling talent. It seems like lifestyle, as you mentioned with respect to stock photography, suits you best.

Let me know if you have any questions. Take care.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Nadia Kaminskaya wrote:
27! please critique!

Thanks for the 'like' Nadia and my apologies for such a delayed reply.

Your port is interesting. The close-crop images are well-done. I read, in your bio, that this is mainly a hobby that you're interested in engaging with and so my advice is to have fun with it. Good look with your educational endeavors as well.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

ammie  wrote:
Hi, would love some feedback

Your port is interesting. I think that your lifestyle-type pictures work best and perhaps this is what I would ultimately recommend for you. I read your bio and understand that you are interest in charity work, does this correlate with modeling in any way?

My apologies for such a delayed critique.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

JustinSteven wrote:
Sure wink

Your port is good. There is a variety of pictures, with a variety of looks and this is important. I think that lifestyle, which is displayed most prominently on your page, is going to work best for you especially considering your height. Phoenix is an interesting place to be for models, especially racially diverse, male models. My biggest suggestion would be to seek-out the absolute best photographers who are willing to trade services and begin to build a book that displays the absolute best images from these shoots.

Keep at it, and my apologies for such a delayed critique. Please let me know if you have any questions.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

FranklinElsey wrote:
Always down for a good critique (:

You have a good way of varying your look, which is good. Your port is limited, but the pictures that are displayed aren't bad; some of them, however, take away from others. Study the art of modeling and practice your posing.

Take care and my apologies for such a delayed critique.

Keep at it.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Ella Wilkes Photography wrote:
I have liked your page, do I mention 27? I would love a good critique.

Thanks for the 'like' Ella, and my apologies for such a delayed critique!

Your port is good. I like the variation, but also the consistency with what you're most passionate with. You seem to have a handle on lighting, and composition, which is good. The more 'creative' images are quite interesting to me. The main advice that I would offer is to make your port more lean by not including some that you have. Some of the pictures that you've included take away from the overall quality of your port.

Please let me know if you would like for me to provide you with my thoughts on which ones that might be better left out. Also, please let me know if you have any other questions, general or specific, that I perhaps could be of some help with.

Take care and keep at it!

(((chace)))

May 22 14 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Alexandra Beck wrote:

Page liked! #83 <3 (Or should i write that on facebook?)

Thanks for the 'like' Alexandra!

Your port is good. I appreciate the variety of looks, and pictures. Some of the pictures that you've included, however, take away from the overall feel of your port and can possibly just be left-out. This would perhaps increase the overall quality of your port. You have an interesting bio and it seems like beauty work, in addition to perhaps lifestyle, would fit you best.

My primary advice would be to seek-out the absolute best professional photographers that you can, and try to negotiate tf. Then, select only the absolute best images that come-out of these shoots to display for others to view. This is not always the easiest thing to accomplish and it takes a lot of diligence, patience, and overall will.

Please let me know if you would like for me to give you specifics regarding the pictures that might be better left-out of your online port. Also, if you have any general questions at all, please feel free to ask.

Keep at it!

(((chace)))

May 22 14 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Pauline Yee wrote:
#27 plus liked page! Please do me!

Thanks for the 'like' Pauline!

Your port is good and you have an interesting look. There are a variety of looks in your port, which is important. Some of the pictures, however, that you've chosen to display take away from the overall quality and feel of your port. I think that beauty work suits you best.

Please let me know if you would like specifics on the pictures that might be better left-out. Also, please let me know if you have any general questions as well.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Kirk Westwood wrote:
Liked!  very much appreciate a critique.

What numer, 27? 83?

You have a good port. Since you come from film, as was mentioned in your bio, you have a thematic approach to your work, which is important. It seems, though, that controlling the theme of any shoot to serve a particular function or purpose is just as important, if not even more so, as having the approach to begin with. Put differently, there should be a direction behind any theme. Now, this idea is directly related to your overall purpose as a photographer. So, I ask you, what's your focus? Would you like to create commercial images for sale in commerce? These types of questions, I think, are important because they assist us with determining our direction; this goes for direction in our careers, but also direction in the particular assignments/projects that we embark upon in our career.

You seem to have a decent handle on lighting and composition. I might be able to provide you with some pointers with your studio work to improve the overall quality of the pictures.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like a more detailed explanation to some of my comments.

Take care and stick with it!

(((chace)))

May 22 14 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Jools Hart wrote:
I have liked....

Hi Im a professional retoucher by trade but would like to take up photography especially boudoir.

The shots in my profile were taken with a cheap bridge camera at a friends house with natural light and retouched by myself.

Any comments good or bad would be gratefully appreciated.

kind regards

Jools

Thanks for the 'like' Jools!

Your port is, of course, a bit limited as you've mentioned so there isn't much to critique that would be of any great value to you. I will say, though, that natural light must always be controlled just as studio light must. You might be well-served to utilize some diffusion and even bounce to achieve more depth with your pictures. Also, composition is, of course, a key feature of any memorable image. For what you're shooting with, you've done a good job. Is there other equipment that you work with?

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can provide further, once you've displayed more pictures.

Take care.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gaffney

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Liked smile Your work is wonderful and honest, thoughtful, critiques.  I would be interested in what you think.

May 22 14 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Nikki Shuffles wrote:
Critiques please:)

Hello. Have you liked our FB page?

May 22 14 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

A-M-P wrote:
Go ahead

Hello. Have you 'liked' our FB page?

May 22 14 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Distinct Edges  wrote:
83! I liked!

Thanks for the 'like'!

Your port is limited so it's difficult to provide you with anything of detail. Overall, the pictures are decently lit and composed. I would be very cautious of re-touching though because it's quite easy to overdue it when we are anxious to achieve the 'perfect' look. Also, I would really experiment with lighting because this is what makes an image, literally and figuratively, an image. If you're finding difficulty finding people who will get in front of your camera for hours of testing, don't be discouraged. You can always practice in a controlled setting to experiment with lighting.

Please let me know if you would like more critique when you've uploaded more pictures. Also, feel free to let me know if you have any general or specific questions about photography that I can answer for you; there truly is no such thing as a bad question.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Michael Gaffney wrote:
Liked smile Your work is wonderful, I would be interested in what you think.

Thanks for the 'like' Michael, and for the kind words!

Your port is good. The concepts that you've pursued are interesting. In your bio you mention that you, "...hope to create meaningful and artistic displays that define a particular idea, concept or cultural commentary". This was well put and you seem to understand your direction; seemingly, this is one of the more significant aspects of embarking upon any photographic endeavor whether small or large.

On the technical end, I would play with composition more than what is displayed through your pictures. Also, perhaps utilize a variation of lighting patterns to create more depth in your images. Lastly, I would recommend to display only the absolute best images that you have in your catalogue. This possibly will bring the overall quality of your port up a bit, because often times one decent picture can bring the feel of a great picture down a notch.

If there are any other specific question that you would like a possible answer to, please feel free to ask! Although I'm a 'professional' photographer, the title hasn't diluted my passion for the art so I always enjoy talking theory or the pragmatics of the form.

(((chace)))

May 22 14 05:43 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Chace! If you could give me some further advice on what photos that might be better left out, I would appreciate it.

May 22 14 09:59 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Santa Barbara, California, US

Liked 😄

May 28 14 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Pauline Yee wrote:
Thanks Chace! If you could give me some further advice on what photos that might be better left out, I would appreciate it.

Hello Paulina,

Yes, for sure; I would be happy to. In my professional opinion, your overall portfolio would show better without these pictures: (1,3,4,9,17). Now, there are a variety of reasons why I would subtract these particular pictures but the two main factors are images quality, and overall image feel.

I must say, though, this is from my professional opinion and doesn't at all mean that I'm asking/wanting you to subtract these from your online portfolio. I think they are great pictures, as a matter of fact, but to make the overall flow and quality of your portfolio stronger the pictures might be better left out. Another element of this whole piece really, also, depends on what exactly your intention is by displaying these pictures...if it is to try and get paid work, this is one thing. If your intention is to showcase the various creative pictures that you and your photography team has worked on for display only, this is another thing.

I think that all of your pictures are good, some just seem to have a better presentation than others.

I hope this helped! Please let me know if you have any other questions or need advice on anything. Take care.

(((chace)))

Jun 05 14 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Celine Sophia wrote:
Liked 😄

Thanks for the 'like' Celine. We are now on instagram too, follow us: http://instagram.com/chacephotography

Your portfolio is good. There is variation, which is good. I read your profile and I completely understand the connection that you've made between dance and modeling.

It seems like you would fit best in lifestyle modeling, and perhaps beauty work. This specifically involves things like clothing catalogues (for lifestyle) and make-up ads (for beauty). These two industries are huge and if you are passionate, committed, and willing to hear a lot of 'NOs' and still push forward, they are options for you.

Try to seek-out the absolute best professional photographers that you can to work with for TF.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Keep at it!

(((chace)))

Jun 05 14 12:02 pm Link

Model

May_Bee

Basel, Basel-Town, Switzerland

FB Done smile

Jun 05 14 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Reganato

New York, New York, US

Page liked!

Jun 05 14 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

May_Bee wrote:
FB Done smile

Thanks for the 'like'! We've recently got onto instagram as well... (http://instagram.com/chacephotography? Follow us for the most up-do-date images, news, and works.

Your portfolio is good. I like that there is variation within the styles. You have an interesting look that seems to go well with the camera. I'm not sure exactly what your direction is with modeling, but I see you perhaps in lifestyle/fitness...maybe even beauty work. Your facial features are strong and if shot right could yield some high-quality images.

My suggestions would be to seek out the absolute best professional photographers that you can that are willing to do TP; don't settle for less. Also, when you are ready to begin uploading your pictures and expanding your portfolio try to ask the photographer(s) for their advice on which ones to include and which ones to leave out. This all amounts to trust though and whether or not you trust their professional judgement.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all or need any advice and I'll be more than willing to provide you with whatever I can. Take care.

Keep at it...

(((chace)))

Jun 05 14 06:33 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I was the 450th like smile

Jun 05 14 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Steve Reganato wrote:
Page liked!

Thanks for the 'like' Steve! We've recently got onto instagram as well... (http://instagram.com/chacephotography?) Follow us for the most up-do-date images, news, and works.

The images on here were quite limited, as you stated in your bio, so I also went to your site. You obviously have a good understanding of lighting, and composition. I appreciated much of the images on your site and I think your bi-fold works are quite interesting.

Through your bio on mm and your work both on mm and your site, I gather that you're mostly interested in fashion? If this is so, my advice from one creative mind to another would be to push! Push the envelope as much as possible in your personal work and also push the envelope in your professional work to the degree that the art director, or client allows you the space to. I've been in the industry for over 10 years now and have worked with many major clients, but interestingly the higher the pay and prestige of the projects that I've worked on, the less and less creative control that I've had in the past. This is precisely my rationale for doing my 'own' work nowadays more than taking on clients or projects because I'm more interested, now, in creating images that I enjoy with a team of my own...

So, I'm sure much, if not all, of this you are aware of but nevertheless I'll say to shoot for the stars and don't let the 'stars' take away your ability to creatively express yourself through your work.

On another note...it seems like your wardrobe stylists are quite solid. I would like to see some more avant-garde type images that really suspend the viewer into a place where they will have the image etched into their visual memory.

Please let me know if you put-up some new images so I can check them out. Take care.

Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jun 05 14 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

J Jessica  wrote:
I was the 450th like smile

Thanks for the 'like' Jessica, and especially for being our 450th! smile Follow us on instagram as well if you don't mind (http://instagram.com/chacephotography).

I think your port is quite good. The variation of styles is important.

What specific type of modeling do you see yourself getting into? It seems, for me, that you would do quite well in beauty or perhaps even lifestyle types of work. You have interesting facial features that can be truly accentuated with the right stylists and photographers; seek them out.

Also, there are some pictures in your collection that seem to take away from the overall feel of the portfolio. The aim is to showcase your absolute best images and go for quality over quantity.

On a personal note...I've seen many African American models who were, and to some degree still are, put into a specific box by fashion designers, fashion houses, editors, and major clients. This box, often times, is portraying them as ethnically exotic or marginalizing them to the point where they are only seen in one certain way. Hopefully you will not experience this, especially if you're trying to get into fashion because it's a very difficult thing that these women are confronted with. My advice is to stay true to yourself and know that beauty, or your place in the world, cannot be defined by an industry!

Keep at it and please let me know if you have any questions at all. I'll be glad to answer anything that I can for you.

(((chace)))

Jun 05 14 07:46 pm Link

Model

MaelaB

Columbus, Ohio, US

LIked:) would love to here your feedback.

Jun 05 14 07:52 pm Link

Model

NothingnesssEver

New York, New York, US

452th like. would love your feedback please

Jun 05 14 11:03 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Chace!

Jun 06 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

MaelaB wrote:
LIked:) would love to here your feedback.

Thanks for the 'like' Maela! It's much appreciated smile

Your portfolio is limited, as you've stated that you're just starting out. So, there isn't much that I can offer in the the way of a constructive critique. I will give you my thoughts in general though.

You have an interesting look that photographs well, and this is a good start of course. Your background in dance will help you with posing and body mechanics, which is an important part of any type of modeling. Perhaps you would work best in lifestyle type of work, or perhaps even beauty.

Seek out the best photographers that you can who are professional and willing to do a TF shoot. I'm sure that you will be able to find many of these types of photographers; I will caution, however, be careful because there are many photographers soliciting women for shoots under false-pretenses.

Keep at it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any further advice when you upload more images and I will answer anything that is within my scope.

(((chace)))

Jun 06 14 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Phan Nguyen Nguyen wrote:
452th like. would love your feedback please

452nd! Thanks you for this...It's much appreciated smile

Your portfolio is good. You have a lot of variety and this is a good thing. It seem like beauty work or lifestyle would fit you well. You have interesting facial features which would seem to photograph well for the beauty/cosmetic industries. Also, your body mechanics are pretty good as well which is important for posing.

Now, I would, though subtract some of the pictures within your portfolio because they take away from the overall feel and quality of your portfolio. Choosing which pictures to showcase in your portfolio, and which ones to leave out is always a difficult thing to do.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all and I'm glad to help in whatever way that I can.

Keep at it!

(((chace)))

Jun 06 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Pauline Yee wrote:
Thanks Chace!

You're quite welcome Paulina...anytime. Take care.

(((chace)))

Jun 06 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kemikal Photographz

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Very interested in some feedback on the latest 8 photos in my port. Just started shooting again with a brand new camera.

Jun 07 14 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Kemikal Photographz wrote:
Very interested in some feedback on the latest 8 photos in my port. Just started shooting again with a brand new camera.

Hello.

Your lines and composition seem good. The pictures show a little flat though so perhaps work a little on DOF and your angles. Also, the natural light isn't serving you any justice either so I would attempt to control it as much as possible with bounce or reflection.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep at it!

(((chace)))

Jun 10 14 02:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Nellie Anger Designs

Dallas, Texas, US

Liked. If you will critique retouchers?

Jun 23 14 04:37 pm Link

Model

niquehaggs

Los Angeles, California, US

I would appreciate some feedback smile

Jun 24 14 12:14 am Link

Model

Jade Wimer

New York, New York, US

Liked your Fb page!

Jun 24 14 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Robt W Hall Photography

Burbank, California, US

Can you help pic out the best portfolio picture and why?

Jun 24 14 01:58 pm Link