Forums > General Industry > Need New Agent.

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Looking for a new Agent in the Lexington KY, or Cincinnati areas.

I have a current "Agent", who really doesn't care. I need an agency that actually does it's job for every model and not just for their Favorites.

*Edit; probably a few things I should have mentioned.
In my career so far I have done 3 indie movies and 6 paid shoots, all of these I found MYSELF, through friends and other sources, due to contractual obligations and for protection reasons(Union stuff) I had the work routed THROUGH my agent not FROM my agent.

I no longer do this because the last job that I routed through my agent, they screwed me out of and got the client to use one of their favorites.(The client was  friend of mine who showed me the emails afterward where they convinced him that I had turned it down.)

In the last two years they have only alerted me to 5 auditions/castings and gotten me only 1 (nonpaying) Booking.(which didn't matter cause the photographers were cool guy)

My point is I should not have to do my agent's job for them.

Apr 02 12 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

Have you read your profile?

Apr 02 12 01:13 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Yes I have, I also leave out the fact that my agent has only sent me on 5 auditions/casting in the past two years, and during those two years they only got me 1 actual booking that did not pay.

As I also have stated in my profile, not really about the money...

Apr 02 12 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

Your profile reads like you don't really have a passion for acting/modeling. You state that it's not about the money, you do it for fun and to boost your self esteem. Sounds more like a hobby to me.
If you were casting a gig would you want somebody who does it for fun or would you want someone that needs/wants to be in the show?

Your agent is not here for giggles, he's a person that wants to make a percentage off of your booking$. Let him know that you're serious about this as a profession and he may just try to get you some real work.

Apr 02 12 05:19 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

How do you not do something for fun and not want to do it? What?
Of the models I have worked along side, those who don't want to be there are the ones who are not enjoying it or having fun.

I also posted that I would like to do "well enough to travel in other counties."

Also money should not be the reason you do modeling, because while the pay sounds cool the dependability is is sparse and there is no guarantee you will make it.

I have made it clear to them that I am serious about it.

Let me give you an example of some of the things they have done.
Last fall Ford Models Chicago branch stopped by the agency, as the do every year, looking for Male models. I did not find out about this casting until the day after.
When I asked my agent about it they told me that Ford was looking for something specific. Anywho, circumstances led to me calling Fords Chicago's branch and it turns out that Fords visitation to the Agency was an open call looking for ALL MALE MODELS.... I was not happy, and I got on the phone with both Ford and my agent for a very awkward three way conference call.

So, yeah....

Apr 02 12 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
...When I asked my agent about it they told me that Ford was looking for something specific. Anywho, circumstances led to me calling Fords Chicago's branch and it turns out that Fords visitation to the Agency was an open call looking for ALL MALE MODELS.... I was not happy, and I got on the phone with both Ford and my agent for a very awkward three way conference call.

So, yeah....

The agency could be doing something wrong.
You could be doing something wrong.
Both the agency and you could be doing something wrong.

It's obvious you're not a good fit for each other, so get a different agent.

Apr 02 12 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I also posted that I would like to do "well enough to travel in other counties."

"Other counties?"  This doesn't sound like you have high aspirations.

Apr 02 12 06:31 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Mark Salo wrote:

"Other counties?"  This doesn't sound like you have high aspirations.

Ooops that is supposed to say countries. Guess I should proof read, huh?

Apr 02 12 06:45 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
It's obvious you're not a good fit for each other, so get a different agent.

That would explain the title of the thread.

Apr 02 12 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

btw... for the most part, agents aren't allowed on MM, so this would be the wrong place to be looking for one.  If someone from MM claims to be an agent... 99.8% chance that they're really not.

Apr 02 12 06:51 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
btw... for the most part, agents aren't allowed on MM, so this would be the wrong place to be looking for one.  If someone from MM claims to be an agent... 99.8% chance that they're really not.

I know I was hoping to get people to suggest Agents in those local areas...

Apr 02 12 07:04 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
Last fall Ford Models Chicago branch stopped by the agency, as the do every year, looking for Male models. I did not find out about this casting until the day after.
When I asked my agent about it they told me that Ford was looking for something specific. Anywho, circumstances led to me calling Fords Chicago's branch and it turns out that Fords visitation to the Agency was an open call looking for ALL MALE MODELS.... I was not happy, and I got on the phone with both Ford and my agent for a very awkward three way conference call.

So, yeah....

I'm sorry I don't know of any agencies in Kentucky, but may I ask what was accomplished during this 3 way call? Pure curiousity.

EDIT: After looking at your stats I can honestly tell you that Ford would not have signed you simply based on your height. Most of their women are as tall, if not taller than you. Consider freelancing. It's becoming a much more acceptable way of making money and connections in the industry, and models are aren't exactly agency standard sizes can do fairly well given they have the drive.

(The women I'm speaking about are of course in their fashion category, not commercial.)

Apr 02 12 07:30 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Mainly I was showing them that I don't put up with BS. What they did was only let their favorites in on the casting.
I have no problem with them doing that. What I had a problem with was being lied to, as long as they are up front with me I am fine with it.

As for getting signed by Ford, yeah no chance but if they are going to lie about that, then what else? Fords lowest male standards are 5'10 140lbs fit, per the last Ford Audition I was at.(that was back in 2010, may have changed)

Apr 02 12 07:55 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
Mainly I was showing them that I don't put up with BS. What they did was only let their favorites in on the casting.
I have no problem with them doing that. What I had a problem with was being lied to, as long as they are up front with me I am fine with it.

As for getting signed by Ford, yeah no chance but if they are going to lie about that, then what else? Fords lowest male standards are 5'10 140lbs fit, per the last Ford Audition I was at.(that was back in 2010, may have changed)

Their website specifies 6' or taller.

Apr 02 12 08:25 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

6' is the Runway "standard" which most agency's use as a baseline, however the Runway range is from 5'10"-6'2". Fords cut off for male model height is 5'10", I have had 6 meetings with Ford Casting directors and I always just slip in at the base line which they always point out.

You also don't have to be 6 feet to be a model, especially on camera since you can use various lighting and angles to trick perspective.
Famous Actor Jason Stahom, started out as a model, and he is 5'9"...

My dilemma is that I live in what is technically considered the "Midwest" by advertising/modeling world, which is weird though my style seems to go over better in east or west cost territory.

Apr 02 12 08:37 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

My point was more to the effect that it would be much harder for you to be signed to ford due to height. Based on the 6 castings you have had with Ford I assume none of them worked out. As for Statham, I'm sure he was signed as talent and was getting modeling gigs, I could be completely wrong of course. Another thing to take into consideration is, that while it is possible to use "Trick" photography, it's much easier for agencies to simply use models who are of the correct height, especially when using multiple models in one shoot. However, I digress.

I'm still suggesting you free lance.

Apr 02 12 08:44 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Agencies that do largely fashion/live/runway modeling do insist on correct height. However for a lot of the photo stuff they honestly work with allowances.

My "problem" with Ford isn't my height, its my mild SAD(Social Anxiety Disorder) which makes it impossible for me to do runway/live modeling on the kinds of scale that they do.
Ironically modeling was supposed to help with that. The only Fashion/Runway show I ever did caused me to suffer a mild stress induced heart attack.
Cameras and small groups I am fine with, but you put me on stage in front of hundreds of people it could kill me.

Freelancing using my friends has yielded me some good results. With 6 actual shoots I have also had 3 times that many fakes, flukes, and bad situations. Having a license and Union agent ensures that not only do i get paid I am also not walking into a potentially bad situation.
Also I while I would love to do this full time, reality is not that kind and with three jobs I don't honestly have the time to spend looking, which in my local market is a lot harder than say LA and NYC.

Not to say that all agencies are perfectly safe. For example because of the job market being here being limited, the agency I am signed to fleeces gullible people to pad their profit line.

Apr 02 12 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

it should be accepted that it isn't the fault of the agency.  if a model isn't marketable to the agency client base there isn't much either the model or agency can do about that.

seek better fitting representation or go it alone.  there really isn't much in-between.

Apr 02 12 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

or, put on your big boy pants and go get one real job (career) and stop dreaming about being a model. That's real life...

Apr 02 12 09:37 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

291 wrote:
it should be accepted that it isn't the fault of the agency.  if a model isn't marketable to the agency client base there isn't much either the model or agency can do about that.

If I(a person with no agent skills, training or connections) can find nearly a dozen paying jobs, in the same area that the Agency pulls their clients from. I honestly don't think Marketability is the problem. Especially when one of their top male models has nearly my exact identical build, height, weight, hair, etc etc, and they have found him non stop work for the past three or four years.

I don't and haven't posted all the issues with this company, and I am sure that if I posted their name a lot of people would not be surprised.

So, if it is all the same to everyone else can we actually address the topic posted?

Apr 02 12 09:41 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
or, put on your big boy pants and go get one real job (career) and stop dreaming about being a model. That's real life...

I have three jobs actually, this is on the side. Like I said I would love to do this full time but I have no illusions.

As for careers, my last one well, I don't know if you have ever been shot but it tends to make one change their priorities and look for new lines of work and maybe try to do somethings they otherwise wouldn't.

One last thing, if having your face in an ad on a building doesn't make you a model, then please do in lighten me to what does make you a model?

Apr 02 12 09:47 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

I have three jobs actually, this is on the side. Like I said I would love to do this full time but I have no illusions.

As for careers, my last one well, I don't know if you have ever been shot but it tends to make one change their priorities and look for new lines of work and maybe try to do somethings they otherwise wouldn't.

One last thing, if having your face in an ad on a building doesn't make you a model, then please do in lighten me to what does make you a model?

You were in the mob?? o.0

Apr 02 12 11:42 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

E M E R S O N wrote:
You were in the mob?? o.0

This is why I don't like to were nice clothes, people either think I am in the mob, or dealing blackjack. LOL.

No back when I was 21 I was young, dumb, and wanted to do something exciting. I was part of a Tactical and High Risk Entry team in Philly. We did a lot of dangerous jobs and one bad day I ended up getting shot, luckily I was wearing a vest and only ended up with three broken ribs.

That wises a dumb kid up quick.

Apr 02 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

EVEhome Productions

Oakland, California, US

Post hidden on Apr 03, 2012 08:00 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Apr 03 12 07:33 am Link

Model

Samantha Carly

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If agents aren't sending you out, the clients don't want you. Agents want to make money too they're not just hiding you away so that you can make them 0 dollars a year.

Perhaps you should have this talk with your agent.

Apr 03 12 10:09 pm Link

Model

Samantha Carly

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If agents aren't sending you out, the clients don't want you. Agents want to make money too they're not just hiding you away so that you can make them 0 dollars a year.

Perhaps you should have this talk with your agent.

Apr 03 12 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

If I(a person with no agent skills, training or connections) can find nearly a dozen paying jobs, in the same area that the Agency pulls their clients from. I honestly don't think Marketability is the problem. Especially when one of their top male models has nearly my exact identical build, height, weight, hair, etc etc, and they have found him non stop work for the past three or four years.

I don't and haven't posted all the issues with this company, and I am sure that if I posted their name a lot of people would not be surprised.

So, if it is all the same to everyone else can we actually address the topic posted?

Someone who's had 9 jobs isn't working enough to need an agent.

What makes you think that another agency would get you more work?

If an agency makes money from getting you work, it's in their best interest to get you work, so why would you think they are not trying?

What you may be running into is that you're not a match for an agency, but since it doesn't really cost them anything to add you to a list they're doing it kind of like a free lottery ticket.

The reality with any agency is that you will always be more interested in your career than they will. Until your at the point when you have too much work and need an agency to screen it for you, you're going to be the driving force in getting your own work.

Apr 04 12 10:56 am Link