Forums > General Industry > I was nearly robbed!! @Photographers in NJ/NY/PA

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

This just happened yesterday.  A model I have worked with many times was here for a video shoot.  I film various non-nude fetish videos.  This time she brought her new boyfriend and his Mom.  Apparently she doesn't get along with her real Mom so they took her in.

They all come in and down to my finished basement where I do all of my video work, as it's quiet and far away from my African Grey parrot upstairs.  I do my photography in my living room which has been converted into my studio space.

At one point during the shoot they ask if they can go out to their car to get cigarettes and have a smoke outside, and so they leave and do that.  They come back after a while and return to my basement.  After the shoot is over we gather all the models stuff and head upstairs.  The Mom and her son go to the car while the model stays behind to sign the release, get her check, and I need to take a photo of her holding her I.D., the release form and the check I'm paying her with.  But guess what, I can't find my D700 that was right on the piano in my living room.  I knew for a fact it was there, and it's nowhere to be found.  I come to the conclusion that I need to search their car, which I tell the model, and we both go outside and I start tearing the car apart in a rage - lol

I first find my old D70, which i didn't know was missing, so now I know for sure the D700 is here somewhere, and sure enough, the boyfriend was reluctant to get out of the front passenger seat of their small SUV as that revealed my D700 on the floor behind his feet and tucked under the seat somewhat.

I'm a very calm and forgiving person, so perhaps stupidly I didn't call the police.  I was a pretty bad kid in my day and did much worse, so I just told them to leave.

So I guess I'm now one of the photographers that does not allow escorts in my house.  They can come with, but they have to stay outside in the car - maybe go see a movie, shop at Walmart, etc etc - anything but come into my home.  I did scan my house and did somewhat of an inventory and nothing else seems to be missing, plus I did tear that car apart really well and found nothing else.

I know it's against the rules to out people in the public forums, so if anyone in my area wants to know who this model is they can message me privately.  Although I honestly don't think the model knew he was going to do that as I have worked with her many times, but I do think the boyfriend's mother knew, as she left with him and a D700 with a D70 is pretty hard not to spot if someone is carrying them.  Plus the fact that I found the D70 in the back and then the D700 in the front makes me think she was carrying the D70.

Apr 03 12 03:32 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Posts: 10164

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

thats blows...glad you got your stuff before they drove off..

That is the reason I don't allow escorts to shoots any longer.
I was robbed also but they got away with the stuff they took from me, bastards...

Apr 03 12 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

DanaColePix wrote:
I was robbed also but they got away with the stuff they took from me, bastards...

Wow, I would have been devastated.  The way things are now I can't afford to replace what they nearly got away with.  I forgot to mention I had my 17-35mm f2.8 mounted on the D700.  The D70 was just the body with a battery grip.

My wife told me that our home owners insurance would have covered it.  She called and asked.

Apr 03 12 03:53 am Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

She needed to bring the BF AND his MOM????

Apr 03 12 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Posts: 19225

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bill you are better then me.   I would have called the police.   Had him arrested and canceled the check.   Odds are he'll do it again as there were no consequences.   Maybe the model didn't know about her BF but she not you is responsible for him.   He's free to rip other shooters off and maybe the next person won't notice until they have left.   Its not too late to speak to the police and would strongly suggest you do.

Apr 03 12 06:35 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Posts: 441

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

cancel the cheque....and when you advise the llama that you did, tell her your professional relationship is over....don't trust her ever again, she knows damn well what type of boyfriend she has!!

If she puts up a fuss, ask her what her boyfriend and the mom's names are so you can report the incident to the police.  Then get a house alarm, they will be back!!
(hope you got the licence plate in case anything further happens)

Apr 03 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Posts: 7950

Imperial, California, US

If that were to happen to me, they would have had a gun in their faces and held till my buddies on the PD got here to take them into custody. I don't allow anyone I don't know into my house without my little friend in my pocket.

Apr 03 12 06:48 am Link

Photographer

O b s c u r a L L C

Posts: 616

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its not too late to speak to the police and would strongly suggest you do.

This. Although with no evidence....

I would, however, double check my insurance coverage.

Apr 03 12 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Posts: 19225

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kendra from Canada wrote:
cancel the cheque....and when you advise the model that you did, tell her your professional relationship is over....don't trust her ever again, she knows damn well what type of boyfriend she has!!

If she puts up a fuss, ask her what her boyfriend and the mom's names are so you can report the incident to the police.  Then get a house alarm, they will be back!!

Bill. Kendra is on point.   Cancel the check.   Tell the model why.   By allowing this to go unpunished you are almost saying it was fine expect, haha , I caught you.   If the model had a ounce of decency she would have returned your check and broke up with her criminal BF.   Women know their men.   There is also a chance he may return when you are not home.   Crap like this is part of why, I don't want escorts in my place.   He's not even smart.   Did he not think you'd not miss two cameras.   Call the cops.

Apr 03 12 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Posts: 14388

London, England, United Kingdom

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Bill you are better then me.   I would have called the police.   Had him arrested and canceled the check.   Odds are he'll do it again as there were no consequences.   Maybe the model didn't know about her BF but she not you is responsible for him.   He's free to rip other shooters off and maybe the next person won't notice until they have left.   Its not too late to speak to the police and would strongly suggest you do.

+1 you should have called the police. They would have performed a comprehensive search of his car, found any equipment you missed.

They would have searched his house, and found any other photographer's equipment he had stolen.

And of course they would try to dissuade him from doing it again.

Apr 03 12 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Posts: 19225

Chicago, Illinois, US

O b s c u r a L L C wrote:

This. Although with no evidence....

I would, however, double check my insurance coverage.

He's the evidence.   He checked the car and found his cameras.   Unless they can fly or walk somebody took them.   My suspicion would be that all three were in on it.

Apr 03 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Posts: 939

Los Angeles, California, US

That beyond sucks!!!
But why in the world would they let you search their car knowing dam well they had your goods?

Apr 03 12 06:57 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Posts: 441

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yani S wrote:
That beyond sucks!!!
But why in the world would they let you search their car knowing dam well they had your goods?

Cause they got caught with their pants down!!
dumb criminals!!!

Apr 03 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Posts: 2350

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

It's a pain in the ass, but going to the Police protects you.

At the moment it's just a story, so even if forum rules allowed, they can turn round and deny their boyfriend and mother did this and MM are stuffed, they can't know who is telling the truth.

Since she is a model who uses http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/88-90_Ford_Escort_Wagon.jpg/120px-88-90_Ford_Escort_Wagon.jpgs, perhaps it would be in people's interest to know who the model was.

They sound rather dumb as well, a missing camera makes it pretty obvious who took it, but if they had taken some other item, perhaps jewellery, you might not have missed it for days. Not only one camera, but two. If you had not found the first camera, you might not have found the second.

I've been very lucky myself, I've had crowds at my place before and the worst thing to happen, someone pinched my evening meal, instead of the lunch buffet. It's more a case of models leaving underwear all over the place and girlfriends raising their eyebrow.

Apr 03 12 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Peter Schroeder

Posts: 3388

New York, New York, US

lmfao... what would anyone expect? shoot fetish and think perps should hang at Walmart for the big score when they got double D's (D70 & D700) calling their name in a basement with a parrot in the penthouse... thanks for the laugh!

Apr 03 12 07:17 am Link

Photographer

White Lace Studios

Posts: 1719

Mesa, Arizona, US

Kendra from Canada wrote:
cancel the cheque....and when you advise the model that you did, tell her your professional relationship is over....don't trust her ever again, she knows damn well what type of boyfriend she has!!

If she puts up a fuss, ask her what her boyfriend and the mom's names are so you can report the incident to the police.  Then get a house alarm, they will be back!!
(hope you got the licence plate in case anything further happens)

exactly this!

I would have called the police and had all three of them arrested and let the police work it out.

And yes... it wouldn't surprise me if they come back. (buy a 9mm)


...and given the type of person the BF is, what does that say about the model? not much. People associate themselves with their own kind (and breed more of them)

Edit: just another reason I don't allow llama herders. I've had issues with them in the past.

Apr 03 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Optix

Posts: 225

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Can you give a description of the perpretators? You can leave out the model, if following MM rules is more important than preventing future criminal activity.

Apr 03 12 07:21 am Link

Photographer

EVEhome Productions

Posts: 37

Oakland, California, US

Post hidden on Apr 03, 2012 07:39 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Apr 03 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Posts: 3457

Austin, Texas, US

SAY WHATTTTTTTT!!! This can't be true because I just saw another thread here that said those of us that don't allow escorts are selfish, paranoid, assholes. Where are the white knights at? They have some explaining to do. lol

Apr 03 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Posts: 2342

New York, New York, US

Out the model.

You are lucky they were obvious amateurs.


What do you think would have happened if the escort had been packing some heat?
Things could have taken a turn for the worse rather quickly.

No outing, you say?

Guess what happens to the model if a crime is conmitted in the future and somene is hurt by her posse?

You are actually doing her (and a potential future victim) a favor by preventing a future incident.

Unlike typical "outings", this type of outing has benefits.

If you are lying, then she can always sue you for defammation of character or slander, but I doubt that will happen.

Apr 03 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Posts: 3457

Austin, Texas, US

Post hidden on Apr 03, 2012 07:39 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
quoting spam

Apr 03 12 07:30 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Posts: 15896

Southaven, Mississippi, US

She knew what the others were doing.  The police will have a report on file if you man up and go, and you never know how many others may have had this happen, or if they've already been busted.  You came across to them as a complete pushover or worse since you wouldn't even confront them about it. 

Do the right thing and go to the police and file charges.

Apr 03 12 07:30 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Posts: 2342

New York, New York, US

GCobb Photography wrote:
She knew what the others were doing.  The police will have a report on file if you man up and go, and you never know how many others may have had this happen, or if they've already been busted.  You came across to them as a complete pushover or worse since you wouldn't even confront them about it. 

Do the right thing and go to the police and file charges.

+1

Apr 03 12 07:34 am Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

Post hidden on Apr 03, 2012 07:39 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
quoting spam

Apr 03 12 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

Yani S wrote:
That beyond sucks!!!
But why in the world would they let you search their car knowing dam well they had your goods?

Oh I was really pissed off - and being pretty big guy - he had no choice.  I have yet to meet a boyfriend who wasn't afraid of me, at least at first, lol

Apr 03 12 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

GCobb Photography wrote:
She knew what the others were doing.  The police will have a report on file if you man up and go, and you never know how many others may have had this happen, or if they've already been busted.  You came across to them as a complete pushover or worse since you wouldn't even confront them about it. 

Do the right thing and go to the police and file charges.

She had just started dating this guy.  Like I said, I've worked with this girl many many times in the past. And I damn sure confronted them.  Her boyfriend was literally pissing his pants he was so scared of me.

Apr 03 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

MnPhoto wrote:
No outing, you say?

I meant it's against the rules to do it publicly in the forums here.

Anyone who sends me a PM will get her MM link.

Apr 03 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Posts: 15896

Southaven, Mississippi, US

I'm still saying the police will do you a lot more good than intimidating someone or just talking about it in here.  That guy may have been locked up for the same thing more than once.

She is guilty by association.  If she hasn't blown up your phone with apologies by now I'd write her off too.

Apr 03 12 08:00 am Link

Photographer

howard r

Posts: 513

Los Angeles, California, US

thanks for the reminder. i am way too trusting and way too disorganized. i do leave models alone in the wardrobe room and there are definitely a few things i can't find anymore.

i also leave models alone with my equipment all the time and i never do a equipment check until a few days later.

ps: you probably should have called the cops cause this sounds like what these people do. and if the model is still with the boyfriend, she's either in on it or has zero self-respect.

Apr 03 12 08:00 am Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

Posts: 1060

New York, New York, US

I'll bet that stuff like this is more cmmon than most think and many don't say anything about it an blow it off. I'm convinced that a small piece of equipment was stolen from me by a model one time And I'm pretty sure that I was being set up to be robbed another time but I had a bad feeling about it and called it off, The plans started out simple enough but there were too many last minute changes about where to meet up and shoot that it all sounded too fishy!

I'd love to know who it was if you PM me! Thanks!

Apr 03 12 08:04 am Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

Posts: 1060

New York, New York, US

double post!

Apr 03 12 08:04 am Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Posts: 5878

Troy, Michigan, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:

She had just started dating this guy.  Like I said, I've worked with this girl many many times in the past. And I damn sure confronted them.  Her boyfriend was literally pissing his pants he was so scared of me.

send a PM of whom please

Apr 03 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Posts: 2350

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

There's no way to tell from what we've heard, but I'm inclined to assume this was a distraction burglary. The model was the distraction and the burglars her escorts. It also might have been planned, not an opportunist activity. I say this because his mother came too. What boyfriend would bring their mother to watch her daughter posing for fetish/BDSM. There's no way to tell, but it seems like a planned distraction burglary. While I would love to see a girlfriend tied up, I would pass on having my mother present. With that in mind, I think it is definitely worth reporting, you don't know what will happen in future.

One question on my mind. Who was the driver?

It was an epic fail on their part and a godsend on yours.

Apr 03 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

GCobb Photography wrote:
She is guilty by association.  If she hasn't blown up your phone with apologies by now I'd write her off too.

Yeah she has.  She was hysterically crying and punching the boyfriend, so I'm pretty sure she had no clue that he had this planned, and she's told me she's already dumped him now.

Apr 03 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Posts: 2295

Montague, New Jersey, US

Rollo David Snook wrote:
There's no way to tell from what we've heard, but I'm inclined to assume this was a distraction burglary. The llama was the distraction and the burglars her escorts. It also might have been planned, not an opportunist activity. I say this because his mother came too. What boyfriend would bring their mother to watch her daughter posing for fetish/BDSM. There's no way to tell, but it seems like a planned distraction burglary. While I would love to see a girlfriend tied up, I would pass on having my mother present. With that in mind, I think it is definitely worth reporting, you don't know what will happen in future.

One question on my mind. Who was the driver?

It was an epic fail on their part and a godsend on yours.

I didn't think this was planned.  I think he spotted gold and grabbed it.  She was living with her boyfriend at his mother's house, and she was their ride - it was her SUV.

Apr 03 12 08:09 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Posts: 2552

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

George Ruge wrote:
If that were to happen to me, they would have had a gun in their faces and held till my buddies on the PD got here to take them into custody. I don't allow anyone I don't know into my house without my little friend in my pocket.

Exactly and my friend  is not little

Apr 03 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Posts: 5878

Troy, Michigan, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:
This just happened yesterday.  A model I have worked with many times was here for a video shoot.  I film various non-nude fetish videos.  This time she brought her new boyfriend and his Mom.  Apparently she doesn't get along with her real Mom so they took her in.

They all come in and down to my finished basement where I do all of my video work, as it's quiet and far away from my African Grey parrot upstairs.  I do my photography in my living room which has been converted into my studio space.

At one point during the shoot they ask if they can go out to their car to get cigarettes and have a smoke outside, and so they leave and do that.  They come back after a while and return to my basement.  After the shoot is over we gather all the models stuff and head upstairs.  The Mom and her son go to the car while the model stays behind to sign the release, get her check, and I need to take a photo of her holding her I.D., the release form and the check I'm paying her with.  But guess what, I can't find my D700 that was right on the piano in my living room.  I knew for a fact it was there, and it's nowhere to be found.  I come to the conclusion that I need to search their car, which I tell the model, and we both go outside and I start tearing the car apart in a rage - lol

I first find my old D70, which i didn't know was missing, so now I know for sure the D700 is here somewhere, and sure enough, the boyfriend was reluctant to get out of the front passenger seat of their small SUV as that revealed my D700 on the floor behind his feet and tucked under the seat somewhat.

I'm a very calm and forgiving person, so perhaps stupidly I didn't call the police.  I was a pretty bad kid in my day and did much worse, so I just told them to leave.

So I guess I'm now one of the photographers that does not allow escorts in my house.  They can come with, but they have to stay outside in the car - maybe go see a movie, shop at Walmart, etc etc - anything but come into my home.  I did scan my house and did somewhat of an inventory and nothing else seems to be missing, plus I did tear that car apart really well and found nothing else.

I know it's against the rules to out people in the public forums, so if anyone in my area wants to know who this model is they can message me privately.  Although I honestly don't think the model knew he was going to do that as I have worked with her many times, but I do think the boyfriend's mother knew, as she left with him and a D700 with a D70 is pretty hard not to spot if someone is carrying them.  Plus the fact that I found the D70 in the back and then the D700 in the front makes me think she was carrying the D70.

Girls who bring boyfriends or mommies to photoshoots are rank amateurs. Those people are part of their personal lives, not their business lives, so there's a major issue which should be addressed before a shoot.
If you really want to do something about what happened to you, go and leave her a PM on her page about the behavior of her "escorts," or as suggested earleir, make a police report.

Apr 03 12 08:11 am Link

Clothing Designer

Bone Shaker Designs

Posts: 6

New Haven, Connecticut, US

in the studio/living area i work and live in i always make sure the llama and any escort she may bring stay in a two room area where i can keep an eye on them at all times.  no one is allowed near any other spaces besides the make up room and studio (and obviously bathroom) all our expensive goodies are stowed away in a closed room during shoots to avoid this problem.

Apr 03 12 08:17 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Posts: 2048

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:

Yeah she has.  She was hysterically crying and punching the boyfriend, so I'm pretty sure she had no clue that he had this planned, and she's told me she's already dumped him now.

Or, she was mad that he got them caught, and it'll mess up future work/opportunities to steal.
Or maybe I am just too cynical today...

Apr 03 12 08:21 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Posts: 441

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

go check your bedroom for missing watches, rings etc and please check your wallet for missing credit cards!!

Apr 03 12 08:28 am Link