Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > HIRING all MODELS > Would I pick YOU?

Photographer

TRC Photography

East Brunswick, New Jersey, US

I am a fashion and editorial photographer who hires models regularly, often from right here on MM. My screening usually involves a search that is based on the attraction of your Avatar. I'll tell you if your Avatar would have me read your profile, look at your portfolio, and consider you for hire... and if the answer is no, I'll tell you why.

Apr 05 12 05:15 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Apr 05 12 05:37 am Link

Model

Sarah_

Denver, Colorado, US

Let's see. smile

Apr 05 12 05:40 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Sarah_ wrote:
Let's see. smile

Hi Sarah,

Your Avatar is perfect... It shows a pretty girl with great natural camera presence that is clear and easy to see. In fact, even in this context, it made me go in and look over your port (which is exactly what it should be designed to do)

Your work is excellent and I would absolutely consider you for hire.  Come to NJ.  smile

Apr 05 12 05:44 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Next?

Apr 05 12 05:57 am Link

Model

Axioma

Gent, East Flanders, Belgium

smile

Apr 05 12 06:10 am Link

Model

christine charneco

Miami, Florida, US

What would be your thoughts about me?

Apr 05 12 06:14 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Mini_ wrote:
smile

for Mini,

Your Avatar does exactly what it should do... persuade the viewer to want to see more... It shows that you have a great shape, are pretty, and that you have the ability to give the camera something other than a blank stare.

I would definitely consider you for hire should you ever cross the pond and visit the NYC area.  smile

Apr 05 12 06:15 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

christine charneco wrote:
What would be your thoughts about me?

Hi Christine,

So what you should know is that sometimes I have plenty of time to review ports and sometimes I am really in a hurry to get some conversations going...it is much more of a challenge to find and secure a qualified (and reliable) model than you might think.

When searching, we are looking at thumbnail size images... In full size, your Avatar is quite beautiful, but in thumbnail, it does not attract.  I might pass you by based on your current Avatar simply because I can't see your body shape, and your face is very dark. If I was on a slow roll to find someone, I'd definitely look further, but you might get missed in the rush for the 'quick find'.  smile

PS: as a general rule, my personal preference is that models use full-length shots as Avatar... I am much more likely to look further from there. If you are going to use a headshot, you should be confident in your absolute beauty, and the image should clearly show it.

Apr 05 12 06:22 am Link

Model

Mea Culpa

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I would like to know..

Apr 05 12 06:29 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Mea Culpa wrote:
I would like to know..

for Mea,

Your Avatar absolutely invokes interest, and there is no question I would look further into your profile and portfolio to see if we might be a match for work. 

I'd definitely consider you for hire based on your Avatar.  smile

Provided, of course, that you would be willing to travel to the other side of the globe to the NYC area.  smile

Apr 05 12 06:36 am Link

Model

Aly Catt

Oneonta, New York, US

smile ?

Apr 05 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Aly Danielle wrote:
smile ?

Hi Aly,

Its not likely I would choose to look past your Avatar. Although it is a perfectly nice snapshot of you, there is nothing about it that is particularly inviting. Your face is overexposed and hard to see, and because of your closed body shape, you appear shorter than you probably are.

Keep in mind that I am making this observation based solely on your Avatar... but this is key, since that is exactly how I go about finding models to work with. 

Good luck to you!

Apr 05 12 07:31 am Link

Model

Victoria Gail

Denver, Colorado, US

hit me!

Apr 05 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Victoria Gail wrote:
hit me!

Hey Victoria,

Your Avatar is awesome in that it immediately shows your very emotive camera presence... This coupled with a nicely composed image draws the viewer in, and that's exactly what happened to me. I looked at the rest of your port.... first.. I'm stunned that you're only 16... your work is mature and commercially viable already. Nice.... although I don't hire under 18, so we would have to wait a bit.. smile

Apr 05 12 08:32 am Link

Model

V marie

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

smile

Apr 05 12 08:39 am Link

Model

Isserley

Gent, East Flanders, Belgium

? smile

Apr 05 12 08:41 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

moi?

Apr 05 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

v marie wrote:
smile

Hey V Marie,

Its likely I would skip right over you since I can't see your face or eyes at all. I have no aversion to this type of moody shot, I just don't think it belongs up as being representative of your port. Your Avatar (imo) should kind of showcase either your extremely pretty face, or be a full body shot that shows your shape, ability to pose, and camera presence. It should draw in the viewer!

Apr 05 12 09:14 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Isserley wrote:
? smile

Hey Ms Isserley,

Boy, tough one... I'd probably look further into your port, but I am really not a fan of an Avatar that is close up, but covers any part of your face. I dunno.... maybe?

smile

Apr 05 12 09:16 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Kendra from Canada wrote:
moi?

Hey Kendra,

Another stunner... 16 years old? REALLY?  Hard to believe from any shot in your portfolio. Your Avartar is a good example of what I was referring to earlier... if you are going to use a close up, make sure it is showing just how beautiful your face is, and your avatar does exactly that.

I would definitely consider you for hire, although I have yet to hire someone under 18... its just too complicated... I might make an exception here. smile

Apr 05 12 09:18 am Link

Model

Egle Aida Damulyte

London, England, United Kingdom

i'd like to know smile

Apr 05 12 09:38 am Link

Model

Victoria Gail

Denver, Colorado, US

TRC Photography wrote:

Hey Victoria,

Your Avatar is awesome in that it immediately shows your very emotive camera presence... This coupled with a nicely composed image draws the viewer in, and that's exactly what happened to me. I looked at the rest of your port.... first.. I'm stunned that you're only 16... your work is mature and commercially viable already. Nice.... although I don't hire under 18, so we would have to wait a bit.. smile

Thank you so very much! and 15 months to go ♥ have an awesome day!!

Apr 05 12 10:06 am Link

Model

AndreaJ

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Okay?

Apr 05 12 10:10 am Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm game!

Apr 05 12 10:13 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

thank you, and I will be 17 in two weeks

Apr 05 12 10:14 am Link

Model

Rachel Fox

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

My turn? smile

Apr 05 12 10:20 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Egle Damulyte wrote:
i'd like to know smile

Hi Elge,

Absolutely would open your port based on your Avatar... You have that very sultry expression nailed down beautifully, and again, I'm so impressed that you are just 17 years old...  stunning.

Apr 05 12 10:59 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

AndreaJ wrote:
Okay?

Hi Andrea,

Its likely I might pass you by since again, when looking at a search, I am seeing only thumbnails... There is nothing about it that says, "come see what else I can do".

It is very small, very hard to see your face, and your body is not showing at all.

Apr 05 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Abby Hawkins wrote:
I'm game!

Hey Abby,

I'm not a fan of the distracting stuff (don't know what it is) in frame with you, but your image has enough to make me look into your port... and I know from doing this so often that the body of your work would have to attract me instantly once I opened it, since I feel like the Avatar is not strong, and I would not be expecting much, hoping to be pleasantly surprised. (I was.)

smile

Apr 05 12 11:04 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

rachel lynn wrote:
My turn? smile

Hi Rachel,

In understanding that when I am doing a search, I am often looking through up to a hundred or more avatars, its likely yours would not catch my eye. There is an underlying feeling with me that if there is an effect on the image, it is not accurately presenting who you are or what you are capable of... its presenting the capabilities of the person responsible for post-production. (which I have zero interest in) If I was going through a second or third time and couldn't find someone else, maybe...

Apr 05 12 11:08 am Link

Model

Jeneva Jones

San Diego, California, US

Curious on your thoughts

Apr 05 12 11:12 am Link

Photographer

TRC Photography

Jeneva Jones wrote:
Curious on your thoughts

Hi Jeneva,

I am not a fan of your Avatar... especially after seeing other work in your port that is much better...

BUT...

It goes back to the rule of a closeup... if it shows you are pretty enough, it will attract a closer look, and that's what happened... so...  it works for that reason.

Apr 05 12 11:20 am Link

Model

Amber H Model

Tampa, Florida, US

What about me?

Apr 05 12 01:07 pm Link

Model

Juliet Hilvera

Miami, Florida, US

SHOOT!!! smile

Apr 05 12 01:23 pm Link

Model

Sarah_

Denver, Colorado, US

TRC Photography wrote:

Hi Sarah,

Your Avatar is perfect... It shows a pretty girl with great natural camera presence that is clear and easy to see. In fact, even in this context, it made me go in and look over your port (which is exactly what it should be designed to do)

Your work is excellent and I would absolutely consider you for hire.  Come to NJ.  smile

Hooray! big_smile  Thank you!

My best friend is from NJ, so we may be taking a trip there, actually... smile

Apr 05 12 02:58 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I recently changed my avi due to public opinion, so lets see if it works!
Oh, and if not, could you by any chance let me know which picture in my port (if any) would have grabbed you?

Apr 05 12 03:51 pm Link

Model

Audrey Dasia

Santa Rosa, California, US

What do you think?

Apr 05 12 06:37 pm Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

London, England, United Kingdom

Ok smile

Apr 06 12 12:55 am Link

Model