Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > critique my retouch please

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

What do you guys think of this? Be as harsh as you want. I'm new to this. It's jus my 2nd try...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/unorthodox1/AmandaAlina-8901B4.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/unorthodox1/AmandaAlina-8901.jpg

Thank you!!

Apr 18 12 03:25 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Posts: 717

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

My advice would be to learn how to use photoshop basics first!!

And from there before you start retouching, have a clear idea of where you want to take the image. In my opinion the colours are all over the place, skin is blurred and nothing appealing so maybe have a look in google for some basic retouching tutorials and take it from there.

Less is more!

Apr 18 12 03:59 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Posts: 6688

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

what you have here is not a retouch yet smile

Apr 18 12 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

The Invisible Touch wrote:
My advice would be to learn how to use photoshop basics first!!

And from there before you start retouching, have a clear idea of where you want to take the image. In my opinion the colours are all over the place, skin is blurred and nothing appealing so maybe have a look in google for some basic retouching tutorials and take it from there.

Less is more!

Well I'm a graphic designer so i know pretty much all about photoshop/illustrator/indesign. I did watch some tutorials and thats how i learned to do what i did. I appreciate your opinion but i need you to be a bit more specific in order for me to learn from my mistakes.

Apr 18 12 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Koray wrote:
what you have here is not a retouch yet smile

what exactly is a retouch? (if you dont mind me asking)

Apr 18 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

you know NOTHING about those programs -

Apr 18 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

John Horwitz wrote:
you know NOTHING about those programs -

i may know nothing about retouching but i DO know about those programs. That's what i do for a living bud...

Apr 18 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

OK - I'll be harsh...you know next to nothing about those programs and suck at retouching

Seriously - if you can not tell the difference between everyone elses work and yours...you need to watch more videos

Apr 18 12 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

John Horwitz wrote:
OK - I'll be harsh...you know next to nothing about those programs and suck at retouching

i was looking at you portfolio and saying the same thing LMAO. You're the last person i need a crit from. At least the other too could teach me something. I've been doing this for 2 days. what's your excuse?

Apr 18 12 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I'm not the one who said he "Knows all about the programs"


& BTW "...the other too could teach me something." it's TWO...

Apr 18 12 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

925 image

Posts: 284

Martinez, California, US

we all start somewhere, we should be constructive and helpful , my 2 cents..

Apr 18 12 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Lett

Posts: 852

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I would go to the forum section here (MM) and hang out in the Digital Art and Retouching section reading and studying (I think that is the name off the top of my head). I would also look at retouching tutorials on YouTube and various other sites and try to bring yourself a bit more up to speed. Best Wishes!

Apr 18 12 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

John Horwitz wrote:
I'm not the one who said he "Knows all about the programs"


& BTW "...the other too could teach me something." it's TWO...

Yea maybe you should stick to teaching grammar, because photography's not for you...

Apr 18 12 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Roy Lett wrote:
I would go to the forum section here (MM) and hang out in the Digital Art and Retouching section reading and studying (I think that is the name off the top of my head). I would also look at retouching tutorials on YouTube and various other sites and try to bring yourself a bit more up to speed. Best Wishes!

thank you. will do

Apr 18 12 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

925 image wrote:
we all start somewhere, we should be constructive and helpful , my 2 cents..

Retouching is a poor career choice for you.

Apr 18 12 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

925 image wrote:
we all start somewhere, we should be constructive and helpful , my 2 cents..

i agree. that's all I want. Just wanna know what I should be doing better.

Apr 18 12 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

You could start by being truthful about 'knowing' how to use the programs you mentioned. If you knew what they did you would be better able to use them. I believe you may know 'about' them but certainly not 'all about them'

Software / Firmware    Adobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132}    2012:04:17 01:31:17
Artist {0x013B}    Leighton-Anthony Miller

Copyright Owner {0x8298}    Copyright: 2011 Leighton-Anthony Miller

Apr 18 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

John Horwitz wrote:
You could start by being truthful about 'knowing' how to use the programs you mentioned. If you knew what they did you would be better able to use them. I believe you may know 'about' them but certainly not 'all about them'

Software / Firmware    Adobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132}    2012:04:17 01:31:17
Artist {0x013B}    Leighton-Anthony Miller

Copyright Owner {0x8298}    Copyright: 2011 Leighton-Anthony Miller

U still talking?

Apr 18 12 06:15 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Posts: 6688

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

DJ Finn wrote:

what exactly is a retouch? (if you dont mind me asking)

A retouch improves the image. what you have up looks like playing around to me.

Apr 18 12 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

...and you might want to try it on your own work first
you are so Busted

Apr 18 12 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

BTW - I just contacted the orig. shooter to see what he says about your ability - this should be very interesting......................

Apr 18 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

John Horwitz wrote:
BTW - I just contacted the orig. shooter to see what he says about your ability - this should be very interesting......................

i know i dont have retouching ability. That's why I'm practicing. If you read the original post, you'd see that it's my second time doing it. Stop trolling bro. You must be able to find something else to do with your life...

Apr 18 12 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

taking others work - no matter how noble the cause will get you into trouble, better hope the mods take pity and lock & hide this!

Apr 18 12 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Euan Anderson

Posts: 21

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

it all really depends what kind of retouch your looking to achieve.

if its a digi/manipulated images your on your way, if its high end fashion retouching you have a long way to go.

the main thing with fashion retouching (if that's what your looking to do) is it should be very subtle and look like you haven't done anything at all whilst correcting all the faults in the images.

the main issue in your image is the skin seems blurred and overly smooth, have you used a plug in or filter effect? if so don't! blurring looks cheap and doesn't print well. Plug ins are a bad habit to get into but because it's so quick, fact is, retouching takes time, if you get an image done in under 5 hours you're doing it wrong! take your time study the picture and go at it piece by piece.

The other problem with filters is they it don't actually sort the issues of spots and blemishes it just sheen's over them. Your models cheeks are still covered in spots - as i've mentioned the only way to retouch skin properly is with time, pick out the blemishes one by one and you'll have a much better image with intact skin textures ( i use the healing brush mostly, but that's not gospel).

hope this helps

Apr 18 12 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Euan Anderson wrote:
it all really depends what kind of retouch your looking to achieve.

if its a digi/manipulated images your on your way, if its high end fashion retouching you have a long way to go.

the main thing with fashion retouching (if that's what your looking to do) is it should be very subtle and look like you haven't done anything at all whilst correcting all the faults in the images.

the main issue in your image is the skin seems blurred and overly smooth, have you used a plug in or filter effect? if so don't! blurring looks cheap and doesn't print well. Plug ins are a bad habit to get into but because it's so quick, fact is, retouching takes time, if you get an image done in under 5 hours you're doing it wrong! take your time study the picture and go at it piece by piece.

The other problem with filters is they it don't actually sort the issues of spots and blemishes it just sheen's over them. Your models cheeks are still covered in spots - as i've mentioned the only way to retouch skin properly is with time, pick out the blemishes one by one and you'll have a much better image with intact skin textures ( i use the healing brush mostly, but that's not gospel).

hope this helps

thank you

Apr 18 12 08:30 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Posts: 717

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Well if you want some guidance, I would start by looking for retouching tutorials on skin.. Dodge and Burn.. also preserving texture.. understanding of colour..

Your image looks blue and the original colours look way better. If you see the skin in your finished image, it looks blotchy and muddy, with D&B you can fix that! Also maybe learn about Camera Raw or Capture One to process your image and adjust it before even start retouching.

Good luck

Apr 19 12 01:51 am Link

Retoucher

Robert LC

Posts: 944

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

John Horwitz wrote:
...and you might want to try it on your own work first
you are so Busted

John Horwitz wrote:
taking others work - no matter how noble the cause will get you into trouble, better hope the mods take pity and lock

Apr 19 12 07:58 am Link

Retoucher

Robert LC

Posts: 944

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

DJ Finn wrote:
Well I'm a graphic designer so i know pretty much all about photoshop/illustrator/indesign. I did watch some tutorials and thats how i learned to do what i did. I appreciate your opinion but i need you to be a bit more specific in order for me to learn from my mistakes.

Couple things.

- If you have no retouching experience, you're almost guaranteed to lack a lot of knowledge, not only of certain functionality in PS you most probably dont use for graphic design (and acr, which is part of PS), but for sure the applications thereof.
I come from a design and even some retouching background (post work for cgi) and I learned a lot (and still am) by experimenting, from other people and sites like retouchpro and modelmayhem.

- Learning from youtube is tricky, since you have to know about retouching to learn about it.. tongue
Why? Because 90% is junk so you have to be able to weed that out (talking about 'retouching' tutorials, not ps tuts in general).

- You can start by doing some searching here (there's a search link above the forum and in every thread).

Search on MM (try searching for 'youtube channels' here as well, since you'll get the ones that are actually good).
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/

I did one search for you
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/?tex … rt_order=0

Then when you've got some basic knowledge and a good share of practicing, consider retouchpro's webinars and dvd's like Gry Garness' one or the last 2 on www.digitalphotoshopretouching.com

For general tips and photomanipulation stuff, I'm kicking off a site (end of the month)
www.tasty-pixels.com

Apr 19 12 08:13 am Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Robert LC wrote:
Couple things.

- If you have no retouching experience, you're almost guaranteed to lack a lot of knowledge, not only of certain functionality in PS you most probably dont use for graphic design (and acr, which is part of PS), but for sure the applications thereof.
I come from a design and even some retouching background (post work for cgi) and I learned a lot (and still am) by experimenting, from other people and sites like retouchpro and modelmayhem.

- Learning from youtube is tricky, since you have to know about retouching to learn about it.. tongue
Why? Because 90% is junk so you have to be able to weed that out (talking about 'retouching' tutorials, not ps tuts in general).

- You can start by doing some searching here (there's a search link above the forum and in every thread).

Search on MM (try searching for 'youtube channels' here as well, since you'll get the ones that are actually good).
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/

I did one search for you
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/?text=retouching tutorials

Apr 19 12 03:26 pm Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Posts: 2201

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Well, it looks a bit too contrasty, really. And you can still see a lot of flaws and raises in the skin via shadows. That's where D

Apr 21 12 02:47 pm Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Posts: 2201

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

P.S. NEVER blur the skin. That's how I used to do my retouching back in my major uneducated days, before doing some reading on industry standards. Blurring is damaging. Pores are good.

Apr 21 12 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

DJ Finn

Posts: 31

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

BorderlineBunny wrote:
P.S. NEVER blur the skin. That's how I used to do my retouching back in my major uneducated days, before doing some reading on industry standards. Blurring is damaging. Pores are good.

Thanks. I'll definitely take all that in to consideration. Like I said, I just learning so it's very humbling but I'm not too proud to ask for help. thanks once again

Apr 24 12 03:30 pm Link

Retoucher

bobbydolan

Posts: 168

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Koray wrote:
what you have here is not a retouch yet smile

+1

May 09 12 05:31 am Link