Photographer

DevonStewart

Posts: 276

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

So last week I had a thread about trying to find some "anti fizzy light beers" since then I have tired about 6-7 new beers..

and WOW.

My mind has completely changed about beer..

So I purpose a thread for beer drinkers!

Post your favorites, discuss your favorites!

Apr 26 12 11:02 pm Link

Model

K Allende

Posts: 14172

Columbus, Ohio, US

Dude, I just like beer. tongue

I buy the cheaper easy to find stuff for everyday drinking and then have a plethora of fancier beers from around the world.

The one that I'm not too excited to try? St. Peter's Sorghum Beer. It's the first gluten free beer I've picked up. But, this review has set my mind to ease.

http://noglutenrequired.blogspot.com/20 … -beer.html

Apr 26 12 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Posts: 4916

Yelm, Washington, US

I'm still an adamant cider drinker.

Apr 26 12 11:11 pm Link

Model

K Allende

Posts: 14172

Columbus, Ohio, US

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:
I'm still an adamant cider drinker.

Mmm, cider.

Apr 26 12 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

j_forbes

Posts: 413

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom

/Users/jasonforbes/Documents/Rattler bottles2.gif

Apr 26 12 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Posts: 27614

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sun Up Brewery. One small building. Brewed on site.

http://sunupbrewing.com/

Apr 26 12 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

DevonStewart

Posts: 276

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I had a bottle of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock and Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock tonight..the Aventinus was AMAZING..seriously..if you have never tried it..you need to. Im still trying to decide on the Celebrator...it sounds weird..but it smelled like my dogs food..but it did have a nice flavor to it...maybe my pallet hasn't strengthened enough to enjoy it yet..i will have to try it later in my beer career to really give a good opinion about it.

Apr 27 12 12:08 am Link

Photographer

MB-2

Posts: 4800

New York, New York, US

DevonStewart wrote:
I had a bottle of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock and Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock tonight..the Aventinus was AMAZING..seriously..if you have never tried it..you need to. Im still trying to decide on the Celebrator...it sounds weird..but it smelled like my dogs food..but it did have a nice flavor to it...maybe my pallet hasn't strengthened enough to enjoy it yet..i will have to try it later in my beer career to really give a good opinion about it.

Haha, I literally just finished my first bottle of Aventinus 30 seconds ago and I had my first Celebrator last night. The Schneider Hef is one of my all-time favorites and I preferred the Aventinus to the Celebrator.

Still in the fridge: Ovila Dubbel, Ayinger Brau-weisse, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier.

Apr 27 12 01:36 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Posts: 2444

Portland, Oregon, US

I have been brewing for years. Challenges welcome.

(ale) Speciality is Scottish styles, fruit ales, India Pales (english and american II)

Apr 27 12 01:46 am Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Posts: 10064

Middle Island, New York, US

ninja

Apr 27 12 01:57 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Posts: 45198

Detroit, Michigan, US

Whatever beer the Lord serves.

Apr 27 12 02:09 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Justin

Posts: 21912

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

http://beerimages.pintley.com/3568/breckenridgeoatmeal_large.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Omvr4HPc2cU/Tq4SBzikmvI/AAAAAAAABjk/LgD4vf9etmc/s1600/New+Belgium+1554.jpg

Apr 27 12 05:38 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Posts: 39293

Columbus, Ohio, US

Three Floyds - anything by them
Hoppin Frog - anything that isnt a lager
Great Divide - Hibernation Ale
Emellissee - Barleywine
Dogfish head - 60, 90, 120 Minute/Tweason'ale/Hellhound (I could go on)
Ballerstout
Left Hand Nitro Milk stout
Arrogant Bastard
La Fin Du monde 
Old Rasputin

Those are just beers i've had in the past 3 weeks. tongue

Apr 27 12 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

Posts: 16091

New York, New York, US

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:
I'm still an adamant cider drinker.

I'm still an Andaman Islander.

Apr 27 12 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Marks Fine Art

Posts: 35977

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

sdgillis wrote:
I have been brewing for years. Challenges welcome.

I got into home brewing back in 2008. I make tasty ales,pilsners and stouts. I order all my ingredients from MrBeer.com

Apr 27 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28092

Laguna Beach, California, US

sdgillis wrote:
I have been brewing for years. Challenges welcome.

Marks Fine Art wrote:
I got into home brewing back in 2008. I make tasty ales,pilsners and stouts. I order all my ingredients from MrBeer.com

i made beer a decade or so ago, but finally just stopped making it. the local place for grains and such went under. plus, i had a partner who just wanted to do extracts, while i was going all in on all grain brewing.

we made a few good ales, and had some duds too.

last month i drove my gf's daughter up to chico to look at the campus. we (naturally) had to go to the sierra nevada brewery. oh, god...they were brewing beer while we were there eating dinner. it brought back fond memories of sitting around a sawed off keg, smelling sweet wort as it cooks. smile

my gf and her daughter couldn't stand the smell, but i was in heaven. plus, the brewpub they have there is fantastic. the food was effing great, and the beers were as fresh as one could ever get. their pale ale is too hoppy for me now, but they had a rye beer that was fantastic.

the coast of ca. has fantastic small breweries. so does the greater denver area, as well as the north east.

with all due respect to my european friends, america is currently at the vanguard for beer brewing.

Apr 27 12 08:29 am Link

Photographer

MN camera

Posts: 1861

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I'm partial to Surly products, Flat Earth Brewery, and a few others.

Apr 27 12 09:05 am Link

Photographer

DevonStewart

Posts: 276

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Three Floyds - anything by them
Hoppin Frog - anything that isnt a lager
Great Divide - Hibernation Ale
Emellissee - Barleywine
Dogfish head - 60, 90, 120 Minute/Tweason'ale/Hellhound (I could go on)
Ballerstout
Left Hand Nitro Milk stout
Arrogant Bastard
La Fin Du monde 
Old Rasputin

Those are just beers i've had in the past 3 weeks. tongue

You are SO lucky to be in Ohio..I hear the craft beer scene is very nice up there...I would kill to get my hands on some Three Floyds stuff..

Apr 27 12 09:07 am Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Posts: 529

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

DevonStewart wrote:
I had a bottle of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock and Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock tonight..

I couldn't pronounce that even stone cold sober! I like something easy to order. Whiskey baby!

Apr 27 12 09:16 am Link

Photographer

DevonStewart

Posts: 276

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Chain Reaction wrote:

I couldn't pronounce that even stone cold sober! I like something easy to order. Whiskey baby!

Not that hard to pronounce..although I don't think you will be able to order it on tap anywhere near you..lol

Schneider ah-ven-TEEN-us

Apr 27 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Posts: 2375

Chicago, Illinois, US

DevonStewart wrote:
You are SO lucky to be in Ohio..I hear the craft beer scene is very nice up there...I would kill to get my hands on some Three Floyds stuff..

Three Floyds is available here in Northern IL. One of my favorite breweries.

As far as Southern beer, I've always been partial to Abita, especially Turbo Dog. Purple Haze is a good dessert beer.

Apr 27 12 06:51 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rogue, Wolaver's, and North Coast

Yeti Imperial Stout, and Old Rasputin are two of my favorite beers.

As for lighter-colored beers, I like Unibroue's "La Fin du Monde."


I'm about the crack open a "Saranac Imperial Stout" right now. I've never tried it before.

Apr 27 12 07:01 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Three Floyds - anything by them
Hoppin Frog - anything that isnt a lager
Great Divide - Hibernation Ale
Emellissee - Barleywine
Dogfish head - 60, 90, 120 Minute/Tweason'ale/Hellhound (I could go on)
Ballerstout
Left Hand Nitro Milk stout
Arrogant Bastard
La Fin Du monde 
Old Rasputin

Those are just beers i've had in the past 3 weeks. tongue

Dogfish Head fuck yeah!

Apr 27 12 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

Posts: 7582

New York, New York, US

i usually dont drink anything so fancy.. a lot of coors light and that kinda thing when i go out. a few weeks ago, i had yuengling at a bar and that was quite tasty. i usually dont go for dark stuff but they had a special and they are brewed not too far away.

somebody mentioned Arrogant Bastard.. i had that once and it was fuckin crazy. kinda kicked my ass a lil bit smile

Apr 27 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

MrWrightNow

Posts: 101

Nitro, West Virginia, US

Victory Brewing Company:
prima pils
wild devil
hop devil
hop wallop

Apr 27 12 07:59 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Posts: 39293

Columbus, Ohio, US

DevonStewart wrote:

You are SO lucky to be in Ohio..I hear the craft beer scene is very nice up there...I would kill to get my hands on some Three Floyds stuff..

Yep. My boyfriend is a sales rep for a craft brewing company so I get to taste a lot of things before they go out. I literally looked in our fridge and named that along with things I love.

Apr 27 12 08:01 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Posts: 39293

Columbus, Ohio, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

Dogfish Head fuck yeah!

Have you had the Tweason√°le? It's a gluten free beer. I was astonished at the flavor and texture of it. It's yummy.

Apr 27 12 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Posts: 32271

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iAS-S4Becf4/T3ccw__NiQI/AAAAAAAADNE/TV2iFAoGXdM/w597-h397-k/IMGP3739.JPG

Apr 27 12 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Posts: 2055

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have been around the beer block and have come to the conclusion that the majority of the craft beer market is over done. US craft brewers are trying way too hard to be different and stand out, kinda like going to Hot Topic. I always find myself returning to the traditional german beers, and when I drink outside the box it is usually Belgian.

Apr 27 12 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Posts: 5169

Brooklyn, New York, US

Allagash Black

Apr 27 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Posts: 2375

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'll also add Sprecher in Milwaukee to my favorite breweries list. My favorite is one of their seasonal special editions (IPA^2 a Double IPA at 7.7%ABV). The black lager is a year round favorite. Other great seasonals include the Irish Stout and the Imperial Russian Stout.

Apr 27 12 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Posts: 10714

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

John Jebbia wrote:
Sun Up Brewery. One small building. Brewed on site.

http://sunupbrewing.com/

I just got back.  Emily was my server tonight.  My bill was $10, she got $10 tip smile  I'm feeling good right now.  smile

Apr 27 12 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

DevonStewart

Posts: 276

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Yep. My boyfriend is a sales rep for a craft brewing company so I get to taste a lot of things before they go out. I literally looked in our fridge and named that along with things I love.

Send me some! tongue

Apr 27 12 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

MB-2

Posts: 4800

New York, New York, US

penn wrote:
I have been around the beer block and have come to the conclusion that the majority of the craft beer market is over done. US craft brewers are trying way too hard to be different and stand out, kinda like going to Hot Topic. I always find myself returning to the traditional german beers, and when I drink outside the box it is usually Belgian.

German Hefs and Belgian Ales.  Can't beat em.

Apr 28 12 12:30 am Link

Photographer

MB-2

Posts: 4800

New York, New York, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
As for lighter-colored beers, I like Unibroue's "La Fin du Monde."

There's something about Unibroue - I enjoy the taste up front, but it always gets less drinkable the closer I get to the bottom of the glass.  I've had it happen with La Fin du Monde, Blanche de Chambly, and Don de Dieu.  There's something about the texture/aftertaste that I can't get over.

Apr 28 12 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Mer Soleil Photography

Posts: 221

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

MB-2 wrote:

Haha, I literally just finished my first bottle of Aventinus 30 seconds ago and I had my first Celebrator last night. The Schneider Hef is one of my all-time favorites and I preferred the Aventinus to the Celebrator.

Still in the fridge: Ovila Dubbel, Ayinger Brau-weisse, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier.

Those are great "go to" German beers. I love the Aventinus.

Apr 28 12 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Mer Soleil Photography

Posts: 221

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Three Floyds - anything by them
Hoppin Frog - anything that isnt a lager
Great Divide - Hibernation Ale
Emellissee - Barleywine
Dogfish head - 60, 90, 120 Minute/Tweason'ale/Hellhound (I could go on)
Ballerstout
Left Hand Nitro Milk stout
Arrogant Bastard
La Fin Du monde 
Old Rasputin

Those are just beers i've had in the past 3 weeks. tongue

Can I drink with you? That is one excellent list! My current favorite stout is the Hoppin' Frog BORIS the Crusher. Of course, I am not alone (Gold Medal at GABF in 2008 and 2011). I always have those in the fridge. I even have one Destroyer in there right now.

I had two Dogfish 90's last night before switching to Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my current favorite IPA).

I propose a TFB shoot, asap. :-)

Apr 28 12 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Mer Soleil Photography

Posts: 221

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

MrWrightNow wrote:
Victory Brewing Company:
prima pils
wild devil
hop devil
hop wallop

Oooh Victory is good stuff. I grabbed a 6 pack of Golden Monkey Belgian Trippel yesterday. It wasn't cold last night but I will have some of them today.

Apr 28 12 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Mer Soleil Photography

Posts: 221

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Whenever I can get it, I love Pliny the Elder (IPA) from Russian River Brewing. In February, I was lucky enough to visit the brewery during the fortnight of Pliny the Younger release. It was Super Bowl Sunday. What a day!

http://media.365project.org/1/2558514_efgklmvy02_m.jpg

Apr 28 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

beta

Posts: 2055

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Actually going to a 2yo b'day party and if it is like her 1yo party I will be hurting tomorrow. The dad has a basement full of home brew. 5 different beers, all on tap from mini kegs. Now this would be the definition of craft beer.

The sight of it all is quite amazing, yes it is a young ones birthday party complete with a cake and games for kids, but also responsible adult sized bonfire, Bluegrass band, oh and that door to the basement.

Apr 28 12 07:44 am Link