Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > MM...Future of DA&R Forums....

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

This place is going down lately.

Is there anywhere else to go and hang out online?

May 15 12 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

the wife is on a bunch of fbook groups. but i hate fbook.

May 15 12 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

looks around. Seems fine to me. No different since 2009.

May 15 12 06:47 pm Link

Retoucher

bobbydolan

San Francisco, California, US

although i've had an account since those days of old I wasn't too too active within the forums up until the last year or so... But just from what i've seen it seems to be split  2 if not 3 ways....
High End Industry Standard
Intermediate Hobbyist
Piss poor attempts

and the material usually falls within the first and third categories... which is pretty disenchanting to see so many poor edits and just gross edits yet some of these folks get freelance work, possibly crappy jobs but still work. And the high end tier is on a platform of it's own.
start a new form of sorts, i've heard lots of people going over to modeldesire but it just seems like a bot site

Ha now it's just my turn to climb upon the highest mountain of the lowest dungeon///

May 16 12 03:25 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Koray wrote:

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

May 16 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Peano wrote:

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

we just need a few more killer threads like why high pass sucks or lets talk carving or even decomposition X's work for new life....

May 16 12 08:56 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Julian Marsalis wrote:
we just need a few more killer threads like why high pass sucks or lets talk carving or even decomposition X's work for new life....

The point of my little quotation: Rather than grouse about the dearth of threads on topics that you prefer, why not start some of those threads yourself?

May 16 12 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Someone's got to start incorporating 3D compositing into their retouching.  Blender's up to no good.  Project Mango might be pretty bad-ass.  This could be a new trend to reinvigorate things.

May 16 12 10:24 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

I think that the easier digital creations get with newer and easier cameras and software that asking on a forum how to do something will and is fading

May 16 12 11:16 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Koray wrote:

I consider a site that lets you have a thread like this one discussing where would be a better place to go to be far superior to most likely anywhere else you'd end up.

May 16 12 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Lots of places.

Few with interesting discussions.

I say we stir the pot and discuss something 'scandalous' (from a PS perspective of course; SoapBox is what it is) just for oldtimes sake.

May 16 12 05:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Jostein Roalkvam

Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway

Eastfist wrote:
Someone's got to start incorporating 3D compositing into their retouching.  Blender's up to no good.  Project Mango might be pretty bad-ass.  This could be a new trend to reinvigorate things.

I've wanted to do this for a while. I actually think I will use my spare time this summer "vacation" to start learning either Maya or 3Ds Max, they are free to use as a student for non-commercial use big_smile Also read good things about Modo, but I'm not sure if I want to invest any money in it yet. Ideally I want to be able to model, texture, light and render my own different scenes or objects to use in composites with my own photography. The learning curve seems very overwhelming though... It wont be the first project I have shelved because I didn't commit enough.

May 18 12 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Jostein Roalkvam wrote:
The learning curve seems very overwhelming though... It wont be the first project I have shelved because I didn't commit enough.

I hear ya, the learning process is tough.  But I think it'll be worth it.  Blender's free, the ones you listed aren't. I'm thinking more of going the cheap route.  Say I can't afford to shoot in a luxurious, exotic location, I just download free hi-rez 3D models from Google Sketchup and composite them with the model.  Something like that.  Hopefully it's seamless and I save money in the process.  Of course, this is all theory.

May 18 12 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jostein Roalkvam wrote:

I've wanted to do this for a while. I actually think I will use my spare time this summer "vacation" to start learning either Maya or 3Ds Max, they are free to use as a student for non-commercial use big_smile Also read good things about Modo, but I'm not sure if I want to invest any money in it yet. Ideally I want to be able to model, texture, light and render my own different scenes or objects to use in composites with my own photography. The learning curve seems very overwhelming though... It wont be the first project I have shelved because I didn't commit enough.

You aint kidding! A year or so ago I started looking into Vue 9 and Cinema 4d because I was interested in matte paintings (still interested actually). But damn that learning curve is steep! Maybe one of these days though...

May 18 12 11:29 am Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

Koray wrote:

I stopped commenting on this side of the forum when I notice that things around the DAR were either a question about the same subject as first topic on the page, and/or having "Re-shoot" or "get it out of the camera" as the answer for a lot of questions.

My grammar is sooo bad that I'm not sure if what I just wrote is understandable! =P

May 18 12 09:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Jostein Roalkvam

Ruben Vasquez wrote:
Maybe one of these days though...

Exactly big_smile This is how it was with Photoshop for me as well, you just need to get to that point where the fundamentals are down, so you don't need to rely on a bunch of youtube tutorials etc. to remind you of what this and that does. I feel that 3D CG is a very different beast though, with so many more aspects to learn and master; llamaling, texturing, lighting, rendering etc etc.

May 19 12 02:03 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

The Art of Churchwell wrote:
looks around. Seems fine to me. No different since 2009.

Exactly nothing much has changed same old stuff ...high end pass blah, blah.
Same handful of contributors.
There are probably many more retouches on MM but don't wish to share their knowledge or just find DA&R Forums NOT that interesting.
plug ins rule a lot simpler and easier than going through the motions of physical retouching. The quick fix.

May 19 12 03:55 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Exactly nothing much has changed same old stuff ...high end pass blah, blah.
Same handful of contributors.
There are probably many more retouches on MM but don't wish to share their knowledge or just find DA&R Forums NOT that interesting.
plug ins rule a lot simpler and easier than going through the motions of physical retouching. The quick fix.

Plus those 'high end" magazines ain't so high end anymore but don't mention that around here. but it is always the same thing, "how do I get this look?" and usually the best answer never given is "instagram"

May 19 12 04:12 am Link

Digital Artist

araielpl

Garwolin, Mazowieckie, Poland

start learning either Maya or 3Ds Max (...) The learning curve seems very overwhelming though...

Maya and 3ds Max are really amazing but if you want to make some organic stuff which you can add to the photos you should learn ZBrush/Mudbox (Sculptris if you want free sculpting software). 3ds Max is good for architecture and hard-surface modeling. Also Vue is a good addition for creating digital landscape.

And as you noticed, there is a huge amount of things to learn - modeling, texturing, making shaders, lighting, rendering, sculpting, rigging etc. All of these make 3d a bit hard to learn but if someone has motivation and patience I think that there will be no problem with learning process.

May 19 12 05:55 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

araielpl wrote:

Maya and 3ds Max are really amazing but if you want to make some organic stuff which you can add to the photos you should learn ZBrush/Mudbox (Sculptris if you want free sculpting software). 3ds Max is good for architecture and hard-surface modeling. Also Vue is a good addition for creating digital landscape.

And as you noticed, there is a huge amount of things to learn - modeling, texturing, making shaders, lighting, rendering, sculpting, rigging etc. All of these make 3d a bit hard to learn but if someone has motivation and patience I think that there will be no problem with learning process.

Bryce is free and I think so is Terragen

May 19 12 08:31 am Link

Retoucher

Jostein Roalkvam

araielpl wrote:

Your avatar, THAT is exactly what I want to be able to achieve. I've also seen some amazing architectural (both exterior and interior) renders while browsing different CG forums, and I feel that is the way to go for my intended use. Any suggestions to where i should start would be very welcome big_smile

May 19 12 04:37 pm Link

May 20 12 02:56 am Link

May 20 12 04:13 am Link

Photographer

WIP

The Art of Churchwell wrote:

"how do I get this look?"

Cross processing seems to be the answer to all 'how do I get this look'.

May 20 12 04:30 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Jostein Roalkvam wrote:
Your avatar, THAT is exactly what I want to be able to achieve. I've also seen some amazing architectural (both exterior and interior) renders while browsing different CG forums, and I feel that is the way to go for my intended use. Any suggestions to where i should start would be very welcome big_smile

I do all my work using The Maxwell Renderer

I recommend you start with Blender, and maybe add Sculptris into the mix, since it's free. Blender alone is capable of a lot, since Blender now has a 'Maxwell-like' renderer called The Cycles Renderer.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/09/16/ … er-engine/

May 20 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

brutal honesty can help this forum to survive.
some maestros are too "politically correct", others are damned by moderators.
we need "like" button, we need somebody established to allot the marks and the lowest graders automatically go to the proper (sub)groups etc.

unfortunately, all this isn't supported by the current software.
but it could be done manually using what you already got.

May 20 12 10:39 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Jostein Roalkvam wrote:

I feel that 3D CG is a very different beast though, with so many more aspects to learn and master; modelling, texturing, lighting, rendering etc etc.

I don't think people realize how much there is to learn in CGI; friend who's working 7 years in CGI, text me ' tutorial 65 done, 4 hrs and now moving onto a 2 hour tutorial'.

May 20 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Vladimir Chopine

South Jordan, Utah, US

Post hidden on Jun 13, 2012 06:20 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam.

Jun 13 12 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Personally, being new to retouching, I'd be at a loss without his forum. I hope to be able to post pictures soon.

Jun 15 12 09:20 am Link