Forums > Newbie Forum > Wilhelmina Rochester & Affiliates

Model

CasaDiBerardi

New York, New York, US

Ok, so I went to an open call at Wilhelmina Rochester last week. They want to sign me and then charge me for a photo shoot and all of the marketing materials (comp cards, online portfolio etc.) I have read a myriad of articles on the web about Wilhelmina affiliates being so called "scams". I understand they need to make money, but isn't this just ridiculous? So if a drop dead gorgeous model was working a minimum wage job wanted to sign, but someone mediocre looking with more money could foot the bill, the drop dead gorgeous girl doesn't have a shot? Just look at the models on their website, they're models look pretty average to me, but I guess they had the $$$$. They said I could have my own photo shoot and deduct $1200 off the total "bill" on what I would owe them, but then proceeded to tell me that there would be a 98% chance that those photos wouldn't be accepted! What are your thoughts on this??

May 17 12 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

May 17 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Flair Photography

Rochester, New York, US

I may be wrong on this but I think the guy who started that agency is currently serving 25 years in prison for fraud if that tells you anything.

May 17 12 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

TXPHOTO

Fort Worth, Texas, US

The "real" Wilhelmina in NYC is legit and very well respected.  Most, if not all of the "affiliates" are mostly scams.  It is beyond me how Wilhelmina allowed their name to be used in this manner.

May 17 12 05:53 pm Link

Model

CasaDiBerardi

New York, New York, US

J Emmett Fertic wrote:
http://www.newmodels.com/myths.html

jf

Precisely!!

May 17 12 06:01 pm Link

Model

CasaDiBerardi

New York, New York, US

DBVE Imaging wrote:
The "real" Wilhelmina in NYC is legit and very well respected.  Most, if not all of the "affiliates" are mostly scams.  It is beyond me how Wilhelmina allowed their name to be used in this manner.

Guess it was the $$$ they got paid from the licensing.

May 17 12 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Flair Photography

Rochester, New York, US

CasaDiBerardi wrote:
Guess it was the $$$ they got paid from the licensing.

Not really worth it if your good name becomes synonymous with scam agencies.

May 17 12 06:23 pm Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Flair Photography wrote:

Not really worth it if your good name becomes synonymous with scam agencies.

+1

May 17 12 06:32 pm Link

Model

CasaDiBerardi

New York, New York, US

QuietAsKept wrote:

+1

Totally

May 17 12 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

We call it the Mayhem for a reason.

May 17 12 07:01 pm Link

Model

Leo Chan

New York, New York, US

wow I'm really glad I read this...I've been trying to get in contact with them. I need to just focus on the NYC legit one

Jan 29 13 09:17 am Link