Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Walking Dead Season 3

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Posts: 6429

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Caperucita Roja wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro

"These characters, who often possess special insight or mystical powers, have been a long tradition in American fiction."

The 'Magic Negro' isn't always necessarily magical, but the trait the character genre always has in common is a need to sacrifice themself in order to save the white character.

90% of the black characters in this show, (who have died), have ended up sacrificing himself for a white character. In fact I can only think of one black character (a woman in season 1 who decided to stay and get blown up in a science building), who didn't meet the usual fate.
And an aside note on that, none of them ever really have any character development, purpose or much in the way of lines to be said.
I waited for so long for T-Dog to get his chance to shine, but the only time he got to sort of do that was in his final episode- and even that got overshadowed by the death of Lori.

They have done at least two saving of white people's asses without getting killed in the process. In episode one, and last season's finale.

Dec 03 12 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

JM Studios wrote:
For those wondering why Michonne went after the Governer....do you guys not remember that the Governer sent Merle and the others to chase her down and kill her after she left.  She got shot in the leg and almost died, wouldn't that be enough to want her to get revenge?

You beat me to explaining this.  She knew when she left he was going to send his men after her. She read through his BS from day one.

Dec 03 12 08:23 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

JM Studios wrote:
For those wondering why Michonne went after the Governer....do you guys not remember that the Governer sent Merle and the others to chase her down and kill her after she left.  She got shot in the leg and almost died, wouldn't that be enough to want her to get revenge?

I DID forget, lol.

Dec 04 12 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

-Nicole- wrote:

I DID forget, lol.

It's also possible she just hates Jim Jones. Never know smile

Dec 04 12 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Posts: 3152

Belmont, California, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

You beat me to explaining this.  She knew when she left he was going to send his men after her. She read through his BS from day one.

Actually, now that you mention it, I did sort of forget about the posse and the shooting, sounds strange, but I did. Certainly as powerful a motivator as rape, I suppose.

The producer of The Walking Dead 'Cast (a great podcast on iTunes) is interviewing Danai Gurira (Michonne) today to be edited for a future podcast, maybe he'll ask her about her character's motivation. I hope so. She's my favorite newish cast member. Would love to see her in a good pictorial here, or anywhere!

Dec 04 12 10:31 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Danai is such a beauty!

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/121015/Red_Carpet_1014/smallcrops/1014-red-carpet-danai1sm.jpg

Dec 04 12 11:14 am Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Posts: 5444

Largo, Florida, US

-Nicole- wrote:
Danai is such a beauty!

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/121015/Red_Carpet_1014/smallcrops/1014-red-carpet-danai1sm.jpg

+1 

Its funny to watch her interview because she is so NOT Michonne.

Dec 04 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Posts: 2955

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

-Nicole- wrote:

I DID forget, lol.

+1

Dec 04 12 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

Posts: 15867

New York, New York, US

-Nicole- wrote:
Danai is such a beauty!

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/121015/Red_Carpet_1014/smallcrops/1014-red-carpet-danai1sm.jpg

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/economics/faculty/bios/HaneyDocs/attach/58978255/jaw_dropping_butch.jpg

Dec 04 12 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Posts: 14857

Dallas, Texas, US

-Nicole- wrote:
Danai is such a beauty!

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/121015/Red_Carpet_1014/smallcrops/1014-red-carpet-danai1sm.jpg

She's pretty there. I don't like her character though. I thought I would, but nah.

Dec 04 12 06:49 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

IrisSwope wrote:

She's pretty there. I don't like her character though. I thought I would, but nah.

I wish they'd discuss her past a bit more. I know who the chained zombies were only because people who read the comics told me. She's still very much a mystery.

Dec 05 12 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

-Nicole- wrote:

I wish they'd discuss her past a bit more. I know who the chained zombies were only because people who read the comics told me. She's still very much a mystery.

I agree with you Nicole. I thought they could have,should have showed her and Andrea a little more so we could get to know her a little better. Instead they just kind of plopped her into the show. Just like there new people in the jail. But the fact Michonne was with a character we already knew, they could have done a little more. Me thinks.

Dec 05 12 06:45 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

I agree with you Nicole. I thought they could have,should have showed her and Andrea a little more so we could get to know her a little better. Instead they just kind of plopped her into the show. Just like there new people in the jail. But the fact Michonne was with a character we already knew, they could have done a little more. Me thinks.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens smile

Dec 05 12 07:33 am Link

Model

Cynthia Serrano

Posts: 12650

Newark, New Jersey, US

Why must the seasons be so damn short!!!!!

Dec 05 12 07:44 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Posts: 9149

Dayton, Ohio, US

Cynthia Serrano  wrote:
Why must the seasons be so damn short!!!!!

Season 3 is not over, it is a mid season break. If you notice, all serials are doing this. People are very busy this time of year and their ratings take a hit.

Dec 05 12 08:28 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

Season 3 is not over, it is a mid season break. If you notice, all serials are doing this. People are very busy this time of year and their ratings take a hit.

Is that why they have breaks?

Dec 05 12 08:33 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Frances Jewel wrote:
Season 3 is not over, it is a mid season break. If you notice, all serials are doing this. People are very busy this time of year and their ratings take a hit.

I never realized that was the reason, lol.

Dec 05 12 08:33 am Link

Model

Cynthia Serrano

Posts: 12650

Newark, New Jersey, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

Season 3 is not over, it is a mid season break. If you notice, all serials are doing this. People are very busy this time of year and their ratings take a hit.

Ahh I see! Always leave em wanting more but it's just annoying to wait lol

Dec 05 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Posts: 905

Gardena, California, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

I agree with you Nicole. I thought they could have,should have showed her and Andrea a little more so we could get to know her a little better. Instead they just kind of plopped her into the show. Just like there new people in the jail. But the fact Michonne was with a character we already knew, they could have done a little more. Me thinks.

I was surprised by this too, especially since in the comic series, they had a special issue solely dedicated to her back story. If you think about it, other than Rick (and his family) and Shane, there hasn't been much back story on anyone really. Maybe that's part of the charm of the show, that we don't know everything and have to speculate a lot?

Dec 05 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Posts: 905

Gardena, California, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

Season 3 is not over, it is a mid season break. If you notice, all serials are doing this. People are very busy this time of year and their ratings take a hit.

Nailed it. It's a new trend in TV. And I guess it's working because evidently the ratings for TWD have been through the roof! It's gonna be a long wait but at least AMC is doing a full series marathon New Years eve and New Years day. That will help a little I hope!

Dec 05 12 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Posts: 2955

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

-Nicole- wrote:
I wish they'd discuss her past a bit more. I know who the chained zombies were only because people who read the comics told me. She's still very much a mystery.

Malbe they will tell us more about her incoming episodes... that would be interesting...

Who are really the chained zombies that she chopped them in pieces?
Brother & her boyfriend?

Dec 05 12 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

Gallery 59 Photography wrote:

I was surprised by this too, especially since in the comic series, they had a special issue solely dedicated to her back story. If you think about it, other than Rick (and his family) and Shane, there hasn't been much back story on anyone really. Maybe that's part of the charm of the show, that we don't know everything and have to speculate a lot?

It's true they never really went into people background in detail. But they had them on screen enough for you to love em or hate them.  I really liked Dale and was so bummed when he died. Even though they  didn't give much detail about his past you knew he was a good man who cared.  Carol you knew was abused, Lori you knew was an idiot.  Glen, he's from Michigan right?  smile

Dec 05 12 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

Quang Dang wrote:
Malbe they will tell us more about her incoming episodes... that would be interesting...

Who are really the chained zombies that she chopped them in pieces?
Brother & her boyfriend?

"Michonne herself had two zombies in tow, her boyfriend Mike and his best friend Terry. Both in shackles and having had their jaws and arms cut off, Michonne mentions that after a while they stopped trying to attack her and their presence decreased the chances of other zombies attacking. Having survived in the wilderness for quite some time alone, she decides to join the group of survivors at the prison when offered the chance." 

   I found this searching for the answer.

   If anyone is interested in reading more about her comic character .

http://www.comicvine.com/michonne/29-46819/

Dec 05 12 08:22 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

"Michonne herself had two zombies in tow, her boyfriend Mike and his best friend Terry. Both in shackles and having had their jaws and arms cut off, Michonne mentions that after a while they stopped trying to attack her and their presence decreased the chances of other zombies attacking. Having survived in the wilderness for quite some time alone, she decides to join the group of survivors at the prison when offered the chance." 

   I found this searching for the answer.

   If anyone is interested in reading more about her comic character .

http://www.comicvine.com/michonne/29-46819/

borat

Dec 06 12 06:41 am Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Posts: 5444

Largo, Florida, US

February = too far.

Dec 06 12 09:31 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Lets talk zombie survival plans.

I was going over my proposed plan with a friend on FB til he threw some curveballs and fucked my plan up. I liked his better. Take over an island. Zombies can't swim smile

Dec 13 12 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Posts: 5444

Largo, Florida, US

they need a Christmas special...

Dec 16 12 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

-Nicole- wrote:
Lets talk zombie survival plans.

I was going over my proposed plan with a friend on FB til he threw some curveballs and fucked my plan up. I liked his better. Take over an island. Zombies can't swim smile

AT some point you would probably run out of resources. Unless you were in Hawaii and could make trips to a main island. They thought to go to an island in the remake of Night of the living dead. They all died. lol

Dec 17 12 04:54 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Posts: 4904

Richmond, Virginia, US

-Nicole- wrote:
Lets talk zombie survival plans.

I was going over my proposed plan with a friend on FB til he threw some curveballs and fucked my plan up. I liked his better. Take over an island. Zombies can't swim smile

In the novel World War Z, zombies sometimes find their way underwater: infected thrown overboard from ships; zombies aimlessly wandering into waterways or even the ocean in search of prey.  Unable to drown, they wander the bottoms of the ocean, lakes and rivers occasionally making their way to shore.  Even after the main zombie plague is dealt with, underwater zombies remain a threat to marine travel and commerce, swimmers and people living close to any body of water.

Dec 17 12 06:21 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

AT some point you would probably run out of resources. Unless you were in Hawaii and could make trips to a main island. They thought to go to an island in the remake of Night of the living dead. They all died. lol

I have a kayak smile

Dec 17 12 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Posts: 2373

Milford, Michigan, US

-Nicole- wrote:

I have a kayak smile

You can have your kayak, I'd rather stay on one of those luxury cruise ships. smile First thing I would try is to head north somewhere where there is less population and if I remember right the zombies kind of thinned out during the winter.  I thought at the end of one episode they kind of implied that they seemed to migrate. Remember when they suddenly seen the chopper fly over and they all followed it?  Then the herd passed them on the road like they were going somewhere. So the best place to is NORTH!  smile

Dec 17 12 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Posts: 2955

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I just can't wait to watch the next episode 9

Here's sneak peek of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en … ahxpQ&NR=1


What you guys gonna watch during Xmas holidays? any suggestions similar to this show?

Dec 17 12 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Posts: 5524

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Dec 21 12 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

Posts: 7611

New York, New York, US

Quang Dang wrote:
I just can't wait to watch the next episode 9

Here's sneak peek of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en … ahxpQ&NR=1


What you guys gonna watch during Xmas holidays? any suggestions similar to this show?

Nothing like it but Suits, Shameless and House of lies are coming back.  Well not till Jan. This is a slow time for TV. I  am busy working.anyways so it helps.  Saw a bit of Homeland.which likes good.

Dec 21 12 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Posts: 6429

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/379308_494279870638090_227022293_n.jpg

Jan 16 13 05:43 am Link

Model

Kaley King

Posts: 1027

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Anyone know when it's coming back this month?

Feb 04 13 09:36 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 37589

Boston, Massachusetts, US

La Lana  wrote:
Anyone know when it's coming back this month?

I'm pretty sure it's this coming weekend.

Read that somewhere online, though it might have been erroneous information.

Feb 04 13 09:38 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19211

Madison, Wisconsin, US

La Lana  wrote:
Anyone know when it's coming back this month?

This Sunday the 10th! smile

Feb 04 13 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Posts: 2260

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Feb 04 13 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Posts: 905

Gardena, California, US

If you haven't watched these, you should check them out. Nicely done!

Time Warner Walking Dead "Vacuum" Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2iVBLyZ0I

Time Warner Walking Dead "Trash" Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shc8Hu1zams

Time Warner Walking Dead "Hamper" Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwadXMMvd0

And the best one, the Super Bowl commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuCSGd4EZRk

Feb 04 13 10:37 am Link