Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Meanwhile, in Quentin Tarantino-land...

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

He's got a schtick that just keeps getting fresher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8VJ9aeB_g

Jun 07 12 09:59 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

he had me hooked with NBK

Jun 07 12 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

it looks a bit lame

I used to be a big fan

Jun 07 12 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Looks great.

Jun 07 12 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

C. Scott Photography

Wow, some shots look as beautiful as a Cohen Brothers film.

Can't wait.

Jun 07 12 11:46 pm Link

Model

Lesmouches

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I think it's time to forget about the Tarantino that made Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs now. He's a much more visual filmmaker at this point so expecting a film in his old vein is going to set you up for disappointment.

Yes, this does remind me of a Coen Brothers film, except I'm interested in this one in contrast to most of the Coen's works. Maybe Leo looks like he's pushing the overacting button a bit much, like Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds. They all want to be Samuel L. Jackson but can't quite pull it off.

Jun 08 12 03:48 am Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a die-hard Tarantino fan. The man can do no wrong for me.

And I wouldn't call it a "schtick". It's a style. A trademark. He may not stray from it, but that's okay with me. If I want to watch a Tarantino flick, I know what I'm getting.

Good action, good dialogue, and a whole lot of silliness and gore.

Jun 08 12 06:13 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Looks like a fun movie

and that's all that matters to me

Jun 08 12 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I just hope he doesn't interject a bunch of bizarre music that doesn't fit with the period or mood.

Quirk is fun, but not at the expense of the experience of the film.

Jun 08 12 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I just hope he doesn't interject a bunch of bizarre music that doesn't fit with the period or mood.

He'll use allot of the Spaghetti Western which will fit right in considering it's the Genre he's paying homage to, and of course that style of music is not really of the period for the most part. smile

Jun 08 12 06:51 am Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
Looks like a fun movie

and that's all that matters to me

Yeah, compared to most of the snooze-worthy movies that have come out recently, this one looks like it might be worth seeing.

I'm not a Tarantino fan by any means (I think he's quite a shitty person), but I don't avoid his movies just because he's a dickstain.

I just hope he didn't decide to play a character in this film.  He's really a horrible actor and tends to choose the most non-believable roles for himself.

Jun 08 12 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I hope at the end .. all the cowboys turn into vampires

Jun 08 12 12:20 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

paul best  wrote:

borat

Jun 08 12 12:53 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BorderlineBunny wrote:
I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a die-hard Tarantino fan. The man can do no wrong for me.

And I wouldn't call it a "schtick". It's a style. A trademark. He may not stray from it, but that's okay with me. If I want to watch a Tarantino flick, I know what I'm getting.

Good action, good dialogue, and a whole lot of silliness and gore.

+1
Agree with every thing you said

Jun 08 12 02:03 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'd like to see him go back and redo Natural Born Killers.

Jun 08 12 02:08 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I'd like to see him go back and redo Natural Born Killers.

why on earth would you redo perfect?

Jun 08 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Los Angeles, California, US

Lesmouches wrote:
I think it's time to forget about the Tarantino that made Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs now. He's a much more visual filmmaker at this point so expecting a film in his old vein is going to set you up for disappointment.

Yes, this does remind me of a Coen Brothers film, except I'm interested in this one in contrast to most of the Coen's works. Maybe Leo looks like he's pushing the overacting button a bit much, like Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds. They all want to be Samuel L. Jackson but can't quite pull it off.

+ 1

...although I think Leo will pull it off.

Jun 08 12 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Boulder, Colorado, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

I agree with you that it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be redone... it's just right as is, but the sentiment may be because he didn't get to direct that one.

Jun 08 12 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Boulder, Colorado, US

Lesmouches wrote:

LOL, I thought Brad pulled it off perfectly.  I think Leo will do the same.

Jun 08 12 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Lesmouches wrote:

I think Dogs and Pulp were both visually stunning movies, especially for the time. He created a genre with those movies that many writer/directors have tried to replicate but they usually end up looking like Grade B QT. If anything, I think today's QT movies have bigger budgets so he gets to exploit his visuals more.

And Brad Pitt played the American simple minded Nazi killer perfectly. His acting was a perfect mixture of doofness and respect for the job he was assigned. Part comedy/part drama. I crack up at his "Bon Jor No" every time I see that part.

Jun 08 12 03:44 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Kalico Clothing

Sacramento, California, US

paul best  wrote:

I think you're thinking of Shyamalan, sounds like his type of twist.
wink

Jun 08 12 03:46 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Svend wrote:
I agree with you that it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be redone... it's just right as is, but the sentiment may be because he didn't get to direct that one.

understood, but it was a brilliant collab. I would watch it, but it is probably my fav movie ever. I dont see how it could be better.

Jun 08 12 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

understood, but it was a brilliant collab. I would watch it, but it is probably my fav movie ever. I dont see how it could be better.

I don't think it was a collab. From what I recall QT is angry and disgusted with Stone's interpretation.

But I love that movie as well. Brilliant interpretation, different style.

Jun 08 12 04:14 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Laurence Moan wrote:
I don't think it was a collab. From what I recall QT is angry and disgusted with Stone's interpretation.

But I love that movie as well. Brilliant interpretation, different style.

one wrote and one directed. I absolutely LOVED the characters, I  LOVED the flashing of the memories and the black and white back and forth. I LOVED the soundtrack. I LOVED the words flashing, I LOVED the ambiance, LOVED so many little screen shots, there were a few little boo boos I am aware of in the directing but other than that there are SO many amazing things to that movie that counter act that. I just think it was amazing. I also really liked the alternate ending!

Jun 08 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

one wrote and one directed. I absolutely LOVED the characters, I  LOVED the flashing of the memories and the black and white back and forth. I LOVED the soundtrack. I LOVED the words flashing, I LOVED the ambiance, LOVED so many little screen shots, there were a few little boo boos I am aware of in the directing but other than that there are SO many amazing things to that movie that counter act that. I just think it was amazing. I also really liked the alternate ending!

Right. But not collaboratively. Just pointing out that QT was not happy about that. HE wanted to direct it and stated that would be the last time he didn't have control of those decisions about his work.

And yeah. The back story on that movie is fascinating.

Jun 08 12 04:27 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Laurence Moan wrote:
Right. But not collaboratively. Just pointing out that QT was not happy about that. HE wanted to direct it and stated that would be the last time he didn't have control of those decisions about his work.

And yeah. The back story on that movie is fascinating.

understood. Overall, the end product was amazing regardless. Of course he would have liked to have done the whole thing. Not sure how they got put together to start but it was an amazing collab.

Jun 08 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Boulder, Colorado, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

On that, we totally agree.

BTW everyone...  This looks cool and all, but...  I just discovered that there is a Kill Bill Vol. 3 in the works. yikes

Jun 08 12 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Erik Manwaring - Philly

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Svend wrote:

LOL, I thought Brad pulled it off perfectly.  I think Leo will do the same.

I agree!

Jun 08 12 05:28 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

It was good, I just would like to see Tarantino's original vision.

When a guy(Tarantino) punches out another guy (Murphy) for ruining the movie his wrote. I personally wonder what the first guy's original vision was.

Originally the movie wasn't about Woody Harrelson's character at all, it was about Robert Downey Jr's charater.

Jun 08 12 06:46 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Ronin_LLC wrote:
It was good, I just would like to see Tarantino's original vision.

When a guy(Tarantino) punches out another guy (Murphy) for ruining the movie his wrote. I personally wonder what the first guy's original vision was.

Originally the movie wasn't about Woody Harrelson's character at all, it was about Robert Downey Jr's charater.

any cites for this? all I know about that is that they initially wanted geraldo for the part.

Jun 08 12 08:03 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Svend wrote:
On that, we totally agree.

BTW everyone...  This looks cool and all, but...  I just discovered that there is a Kill Bill Vol. 3 in the works. yikes

amazing.

Jun 08 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Oct 11 12 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Gabrielle Heather wrote:
one wrote and one directed.

Not quite.  Tarantino did the story but the actual screenplay was written by Stone and two others.

Oct 11 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I just love the blood splatter on the cotton! I love his movies because of the dialogue. He creates the characters and gives them the most interesting things to say.

Oct 11 12 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Woodinville, Washington, US

Looks like fun! I'm seriously behind in watching Tarantino movies. I haven't yet seen either Kill Bills.

Oct 11 12 09:57 am Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

I've always enjoyed Tarantino's bizarre music choices. This doesn't appear to be your run of the mill cowboy movie, even if he goes off the beaten path it would be fine.

Oct 11 12 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Looking forward to it. 

Give no fucks whether he uses modern music or not.

Oct 11 12 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Little Queenie wrote:

I've always enjoyed Tarantino's bizarre music choices. This doesn't appear to be your run of the mill cowboy movie, even if he goes off the beaten path it would be fine.

WW2-era Shoshanna preparing for her battle with the Nazis in "Ingolourious Basterds" to the tune of David Bowie's 1980s "Cat People."

Awesome big_smile

Oct 11 12 02:35 pm Link