Forums > Photography Talk > canon or nikon?

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Session36 Photography wrote:
I really wanna focus on fashion photography and need an upgrade from my 20D  THANKS

3ti (600D) or 7D (getting cheap lately...)

D7000 or used D300s if your jumping ship.

Jun 24 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

CJ Standish

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

But there is obviously a need for better quality photo products out there or they would not be sold an with this in mind maybe I wanna craft my skills on a different  product.  Since the majority of the posts seem to agree it's more about the user and (I agree to an extend) how about you send me your high end camera and let the me suffer poor image quality as rookie and I'll send you my 20D and you can continue with your amazing images.  I'll cover shipping both ways.  The small LCD on the 20D is enough to make me wanna throw it against a wall.  The point of a better lens makes a lot of sense so will see if I can give it a try.  if my post is worthy of a YAWN", try skipping it next time as it will have the same impact (shrugging my shoulders)  Thanks for the kind feedback,

Excellent idea and I'm sure all who said it's about skill of shooter not camera will take you up on it.

I have in my household Canon 20d, 50d, 7d and Nikon d90. Last one I want is 20d. Why? Not as good a camera for fast motion, can't enlarge as big. Canons got progressively better in low light, 7d best of those 3 but Nikon d90 better by far but lower Res so can't enlarge as big.

They do get old, functions do get better, skills get better and you outgrow - just like you outgrow any starter camera.

Just so's you know Canon and Nikon lenses are not interchangeable. Best to stick with one. I pampermy Nikon and am ready for an upgrade. Doing much more action, low lightshooting. YOUR needs determine when you need upgrade. Not pictures in a magazine.

Jun 24 12 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good Egg Productions wrote:
The sensor has far less to do with the sharpness of the images it produces than the lenses.

Instead of investing in a new body, I would suggest investing in an L lens for your Canon.  Or rent one and see if that makes you happy.

I see no justification for you to switch brands.

Now, I have this urge to get a new camera and thinking of going NIKON as there is something sharp and HD looking about NIKON images or at least in my opinion...

I believe he's referring to how much more Dynamic Range images produced by Nikon cameras tend to have. I could be mistaken, however. I would note that in my experiences Canon's produce sharper images right out of the camera, but that's because the in-camera sharpening tends to be set sharper by default, and that only applies to jpegs anyhow (in-camera settings). So I agree with Good Egg, image-sharpness is no reason to switch brands. Unless you're shooting jpegs or TIFFs only yikes  (I've yet to find a point to shooting 8-bit TIFFs in-camera!)

IMHO alone, as always;

Ðanny
http://www.dbiphotography.com (Blog On Site)

Jun 24 12 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Come to the dark side, Luke...

Jun 24 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

PhilipJWalterPhoto

Omaha, Nebraska, US

The best camera is the one you have with you

Jun 25 12 12:05 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

If you buy an used semi-pro camera as a Canon 50d, you could have more margin for buy good bright lens and good studio light.

Jun 25 12 12:12 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I upgraded from a 20D to a 7D.

Not exactly an upgrade...bought a 7D to backup my T2i...  really wanted a 1Dx   not available...  no 5D3 at the time either   sucky   situation.   only  7D's... I think Canon has better lens quality...especially the "L" series. I have Nikon also.  I use whatever works.  It's a tool.   that's all it is.

Jun 25 12 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Sellberg

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

If you already own Canon, why on earth would you switch to a different brand? If you stick with Canon then all your lenses are interchangeable. Yes you can buy adapters, but unless you plan on completely switching over, I'd just stick with Canon.

Jun 25 12 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

On a budget, invest in lenses before investing in a new camera body. This will get you more bang for buck. If money were no object then I'd recommend getting a new body too, but it isn't so you need to decide..

And canon or nikon can produce equally sharp photos. It's the lens and the post production which are most important for this. The body is less important.

Jun 25 12 01:35 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

You have lenses with large zoom ranges. Not the best thing for getting images with great definition.

fast quality prime lenses help to create better definition in your photos. (can also turn out a lot cheaper.

learn how to use that lens if you buy it. each lens has strengths and weaknesses. if you like sharp subjects and blurry backgrounds, get a telephoto prime. I love my sigma 85mm f1.4 and my 105mm f2.8 macro is insanely sharp!

More megapixels means bigger photos, not better photos. Higher dynamic range is more important for events than it is for fashion and model photography. The reason is because you have more control over lighting in model shoots and if you make a mistake, you can shoot it again.

I would suggest investing in prime lenses for this reason. take some time with it and try using it at all f-stops to understand where you like it.
You may surprise yourself

Jun 25 12 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Digitoxin wrote:

Is your film from the 1940's too or do you buy it new?

Maybe not.  But perhaps most of the most famous and most iconic images ever produced were.  20's and 30's as well.

Jun 25 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I have this urge to get a new camera and thinking of going NIKON as there is something sharp and HD looking about NIKON images or at least in my opinion, so perhaps the Nikon D5100 or D700  as the price point is in my budget it.  THANKS

D5100 owner here... that little camera ROCKS... same sensor as the more expensive D7000 but in a more compact body with a swivel LCD screen.  I highly recomment it... borat

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/SpyderFairy.jpg

Shot with the D5100 at the Renaissance Faire a few months ago... using it again this Wednesday at the (3 model) Laguna Beach 'Weekday Beach Minishoot'... borat

Jun 25 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Almost everything in my portfolio is shot with a 20d.  Great little camera.

What exactly do you feel about the 20d is limiting you?

Need to make bigger prints?  Shooting for a stock company that demands 50 meg TIFF files?

Need faster focus in low light situations?

Need waterproof seals?

Need more bokeh?

Something else?

Since you say you want to shoot fashion, I'd say stick with the 20d for a while until you have exhausted all its possibilities.

I agree with others who said put the money into sharp glass or lighting and don't chase the latest greatest camera bodies.  The glass and lighting will hold their value.  The camera bodies will be paper weights in 5 years.

Jun 25 12 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Faulty Focus

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

David J Martin wrote:
Wow, you held out past a couple of upgrades.  I'm a Canon user too.  Best thing you can do after establishing your price point is rent or borrow the camera and check the test shots on PS.  Might help you to test it with L glass too.  Don't really use Nikon, but same applies.

If I were in your shoes, I'd skip the 60D super rebel and go with a 7D if you're looking prosumer.  I'll be upping to a 5D3 from a 50D myself.  Check the MTF charts for your 28-135 vs. L glass to get an idea of what glass to try.

Many people seem to want to give the 60D a bad rap for whatever reason, and I have both the 60D and the 7D and use both while shooting. I can never tell which one I had used by looking at the images.

The 7D loves being matched to the 70-200 for outdoor action, but the 60D keeps up too.

Here is what I like about the 60D:

Swivel screen
SD card slot
Slightly smaller and lighter.
Better battery performance.
Built in wireless ( 7D has that too )
Less capital investment $$

If I am travelling, it is the 60D I pack. Next person that implies it is not rugged should try rapping one against their head and see what breaks first.. ( just joking ) Seriously it is a rugged camera and just becasue it doesn't have a magnesium frame doesn't mean it will not stand up. BTW, I heard they are building aircraft wings and fuselages out of fibre instead of metal.

7D has advantages like a better focus systema and wether sealing but it is also 25% more $$. 

Speaking of the 7D, any rumours about it being  replaced as it first came out in 2009?

Jun 25 12 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Don Olson Imagery

Eugene, Oregon, US

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the OP's glass isn't that good anyhow. What most people here are intimating is to put a $10,000 saddle on a $10.00 horse or there abouts.

One plus to jump ship is if anyone remembers Canon screwed their customers awhile back when they changed mounts. Nikon hasn't and has used the same "F" mount system for decades meaning there is a lot of excellent older glass out there that can be had very cheaply and still be used. Can't be said for Canon.
All the OP needs to look for is a body with both AFS and screw drive focusing systems and there are a lot of those out there too. D200, D300's, D3's, D700's, D7000's. Stay away from the little bodies with only AFS systems and can take only "G" glass.
Do a little research and you see the many possibilities available.

Jun 25 12 11:27 pm Link

Model

Tania Lin007

Tampa, Florida, US

A N D E R S O N wrote:
A photographer was telling me about this magazine issue he is being featured in where the photographers were asked to shoot with disposable cameras. Pretty cool, really shows that it's the artist not the gear.

Do you have the site?

Feb 13 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Get a new lens or rent one then try it out and see if it's the lens before you go and buy another camera. Sometimes a new lens just puts a spark of life back into your camera!....

Feb 13 13 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

This thread is 9 months old...

How is it they get resurrected?

Feb 13 13 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Tania Lin007 wrote:
Do you have the site?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/740003d1340027751-what-do-you-folks-think-about-bulova-watches-zombie_thread.jpg

Feb 13 13 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

I have a Canon 20D with a 28-135 and 19-55 mm lens. I do a lot of photojournalism and street photography as well as editorial and fashion shoots usually outdoors.. (I want to work on getting a backdrop and 1 or 2 lights). Now, I have this urge to get a new camera and thinking of going NIKON as there is something sharp and HD looking about NIKON images or at least in my opinion, so perhaps the Nikon D5100 or D700  as the price point is in my budget it. or I can perhaps get the canon60D and call it a day..  Any opinions?  I really wanna focus on fashion photography and need an upgrade from my 20D  THANKS

When I shot for Pulitzer then later Lee Enterprises it was Canon. First the worst designed piece of garbage camera the D30. The the most excellent 1D. During my time with Lee, I bought Nikon and later switched to shooting my own gear at Lee.

The big the difference was not the lens selection nor the senors it was how I like the action of the camera system. Basically the way the AF controls worked and the user interface. I like the ergonomics and and the way the shutter released. Also the lenses did not focus backwards like Canon lenses. wink

I would suggest trying the camera maybe renting the camera for a day or two. See how it feels and how like the action of the camera.

I would worry less about which camera system allows you to shoot lasers out of your ears and focus on building a good set of core lenses because cameras tend to change very quickly now while good glass lasts a lot longer.

So basically find what is comfortable for you to shoot and then focus more on glass first then camera second.

Feb 14 13 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I didn't realize that this was an old thread.

Feb 14 13 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
This thread is 9 months old...

How is it they get resurrected?

I've wondered this; could it be that people do a 'search' somewhere on a topic that interests them and when zombie threads get thrown up they hit 'reply' without really looking at the date of the original post?

I can't imagine they scroll down months and months of threads on the Forum pages.

*Waits to get Brigged for going off topic.  popcorn

Feb 14 13 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

TA Craft Photography wrote:
OP, I reckon you ought try some good glass before you invest in new a new camera. The 28-135 and the 18-55 are not top lenses for IQ, there are many better..

+1.  If you want sharp shots, get some sharp lenses.

Feb 14 13 02:40 am Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I only use a Quaker oat tin modified into a pinhole camera....

But I'm all hardcore like dat yo!

Feb 14 13 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

rfordphotos wrote:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/740003d1340027751-what-do-you-folks-think-about-bulova-watches-zombie_thread.jpg

I love how Domu has been warped in this country!!

Feb 14 13 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

DP

Feb 14 13 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

9 month old thread people - let it Rest In Peace smile

Feb 14 13 03:10 am Link