Forums > General Industry > LA agency for 5'2"

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

rosemerry wrote:
Hello everybody I'm looking for agency which will accept 5'2" , please write

useful comments instead of negative words . I appreciate your time .

No reputable agency does rep 5ft 2in models

Jul 07 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

I don't think you have a strong enough look for modeling..
Your height is not the only issue...
Just have fun on Model Mayhem..
Why do you want to sign with an agency??

Whats useful is Model Mayhem.
Use it...
I don't know any modeling agency that would sign you.
Except the ones that scam and take your money.
Barbizon is a scam that give false hope and confidence..

Jul 07 12 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Star wrote:
No reputable agency does rep 5ft 2in models

Actually there is, Kimberly Van Der Beek (prior to getting married to James) did some modeling..
She's very small (I say under five feet) She was sign to an agency and did physicians formula ads and modeling.. She was with a very good agency..

Jul 07 12 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Philipe wrote:

Actually there is, Kimberly Van Der Beek (prior to getting married to James) did some modeling..
She's very small (I say under five feet) She was sign to an agency and did physicians formula ads and modeling.. She was with a very good agency..

I can find no mention of her ever being signed to an agency nor her actual height, nor when she might have been signed to an agency. The OP is not teen division or kids division, so I stand by my OP

Jul 07 12 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Philipe wrote:
I don't think you have a strong enough look for modeling..
Your height is not the only issue...
Just have fun on Model Mayhem..
Why do you want to sign with an agency??

Whats useful is Model Mayhem.
Use it...
I don't know any modeling agency that would sign you.
Except the ones that scam and take your money.
Barbizon is a scam that give false hope and confidence..

I agree with you.  She could post in critique section of the forum if she want more critical comments regarding her look, so you're treading on egg shells ... close to the edge of falling over.   However I know what you mean.  From what I see of her so far ... I would not hire her at this time.  However we are not to critique in this section of the forums.  So I digress ... back to the subject at hand, Modelmayhem is a place for her to have some fun.

Jul 07 12 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

Just what do you expect a modeling agency to do for you??? Do you think they will magically find you work?? They don't have enough work for all the models that they do choose to represent.

Jul 07 12 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Maybe the model agency will start a line of clothing for short women and put her in the campaign and Hire Steven Meisel to shoot it

Jul 07 12 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

rosemerry wrote:

The Barbie-Zone company  told you that you'll make it before they accepted your, or your parents cash!

Why don't you go back to them and ask them for listings of agencies since they wouldn't lie to you, because grown up business people would never lie to young people with pockets full of cash.

Always go back to the source  my dear!

Break a leg!

Jul 08 12 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mountain Image

Morgantown, West Virginia, US

The Dasha wrote:
At your height, if you want more work, it's get naked or get almost nothing.

My opinion

Sad but probably true.

Jul 08 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Star wrote:

I can find no mention of her ever being signed to an agency nor her actual height, nor when she might have been signed to an agency. The OP is not teen division or kids division, so I stand by my OP

Well its true... If you seen her (she is gorgeous) and you see why..
I'm not surprised you went out of your way to try to look her up.
LOL.. Its true though, I saw the magazine with the tear sheet.
It was in Cosmo..

Jul 08 12 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I agree with you.  She could post in critique section of the forum if she want more critical comments regarding her look, so you're treading on egg shells ... close to the edge of falling over.   However I know what you mean.  From what I see of her so far ... I would not hire her at this time.  However we are not to critique in this section of the forums.  So I digress ... back to the subject at hand, Modelmayhem is a place for her to have some fun.

I understand what you are saying, but me saying she is not strong enough to model professionally is pretty vague and not specific on what she is missing as far as "look" I said what I said because, agencies that sign small models are far and few.. And those that do sign smaller models.. Are very picky..
My advice (basically) was not to entertain the thought of trying to get signed with an agency. Emphasizing first, my reason why (in a brief generalization in why it would not work for her. With out getting in to detail, but to the point. NOTE: I did not say if her pictures are good or bad)... 
Unfortunately many schools like barbizon take advantage of people wanting to model.. Spending thousands of dollars after realizing, getting them work and making them successful was not in the contract..  and finding out after you are broke... they don't really care and they just take your money.......

Jul 08 12 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sekseeshotz

Phoenix, Arizona, US

rosemerry wrote:

Here are my useful (if you choose to accept and USE them) comments:

1. Barbizon lied to you and took your mom's money
2. There ARE NO modeling agencies that use 5'2" models
3. View "modeling" as a hobby for fun while it lasts.. which often isn't long in MOST cases.
4. Accept the realities for what they are,  REAL

Jul 08 12 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

LAM Photo Design

Butler, Pennsylvania, US

Sekseeshotz wrote:
Here are my useful (if you choose to accept and USE them) comments:

1. Barbizon lied to you and took your mom's money
2. There ARE NO modeling agencies that use 5'2" models
3. View "modeling" as a hobby for fun while it lasts.. which often isn't long in MOST cases.
4. Accept the realities for what they are,  REAL

+1

Jul 09 12 07:05 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

V Laroche wrote:
If there were an agency that signed 5'2" models, their models would NEVER book any work.

I do not understand why some women spend so much time and energy yearning after a really difficult job that does not even pay all that much and for which they are not the slightest bit suited. I wonder if there are basketball forums where 5'2" men ask each other which basketball teams would let them try out. And ask each other that again, and again, and again. Except that playing basketball is actually kind of fun, no matter whom you play with.

Can I ask you, OP, why do you want to be signed when you know you will never be hired? Why do you want to be a model at all?

Jul 10 12 12:30 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

rosemerry wrote:

I didn't post this for questioning my talent and it was rude that you told me why I do want this , because AS you can read U see I ask for agency name if you don't have answer don't write .......  and I do book job and I have better look than you so go in front of mirror and question your self *  MISS PERFECT *

Jul 10 12 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

rosemerry wrote:

rosemerry wrote:
I didn't post this for questioning my talent and it was rude that you told me why I do want this , because AS you can read U see I ask for agency name if you don't have answer don't write .......  and I do book job and I have better look than you so go in front of mirror and question your self *  MISS PERFECT *

Are you giving yourself an unsolicited critique?

Jul 10 12 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Sekseeshotz

Phoenix, Arizona, US

This is typical of wannabe models who refuse to hear the facts. They get defensive and blame everyone else.

Jul 10 12 12:42 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

First of all I didn't post this for critique but as you can see I ask for name if you don't have any I didn't ask you to talk about old conversation . Even though I accepted critique but some one saying rudely why I want to model is not applying to my subject specially if she is not good enough by herself

Jul 10 12 12:57 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

Anyway Thank you all specially those who give me useful advice's I appreciate your

time those who write useless negative word well it's ok !!! Thanks for making me

stronger .

Jul 10 12 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

rosemerry wrote:

rosemerry wrote:

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Are you giving yourself an unsolicited critique?

I think she is confused about how to quote.  Also I think you know that she meant to post that reply to this one.  wink

V Laroche wrote:
If there were an agency that signed 5'2" models, their models would NEVER book any work.

I do not understand why some women spend so much time and energy yearning after a really difficult job that does not even pay all that much and for which they are not the slightest bit suited. I wonder if there are basketball forums where 5'2" men ask each other which basketball teams would let them try out. And ask each other that again, and again, and again. Except that playing basketball is actually kind of fun, no matter whom you play with.

Can I ask you, OP, why do you want to be signed when you know you will never be hired? Why do you want to be a model at all?

Jul 10 12 01:12 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

V Laroche wrote:
It doesn't matter how good you can llama, if I have a dress that fits a 5'10", size 0-2 llama... you can be the best catwalker there is and the dress will never fit you and look good.

now just because im in a bad mood today.

Why is it that im the only person who this doesnt make a darn bit of sense to?? I can llama. I have the look. And every measurement but height. so because im the average height of a woman that would be purchasing your garments, you wont let me llama them? What goes through designers heads???

Jul 10 12 01:16 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

Patrick don't waste space if your so expert in replying Forums reply to topic which you already did so don't waste time sweetheart go do something useful  wink

Jul 10 12 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

rosemerry wrote:
Anyway Thank you all specially those who give me useful advice's I appreciate your

time those who write useless negative word well it's ok !!! Thanks for making me

stronger .

And for you my petite friend of 5' 2" ... here is a song for you from another petite ... Fighter! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstrAfoMKlc   wink

Jul 10 12 01:18 am Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

your done and happy , good boy . Goodnight " patrick "

Jul 10 12 01:20 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

rosemerry wrote:
those who write useless negative word well it's ok !!! Thanks for making me stronger .

Dear rosemerry!

Don't take the negativity personal!

You are NOT the first short Barbiezonian that comes here with a skewed and unrealistic view of the fashion industry after having paid thousands of dollars to that school.

I work in NYC with agencies and am involved in various aspects of the fashion industry and can assure you that if you mention proudly in the real industry that you've graduated from the Barbie-Zone, it is the equivalent of having an infected, oozing skinrash on your forehead that forms the letters S.U.C.K.E.R. ...

It is THAT bad!

Those other "graduates" always come in with attitude and refuse to accept info that is diametrically opposit to what they were told at that company.

It's stereotypical and happens so often that people here are really short fused.

Best!

udor

Jul 10 12 05:44 pm Link

Model

Holly Harding

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom

V Laroche wrote:

To the op:

Im not sure how agencies are in your parts, in the UK its entirely possible to be signed AND booked.
Ive only just begun, but I have since met plenty of girls more petite like us, who are signed and full time.

Many do glamour or promo work.
Unfortunately the likes of runway may be out of pur reach (quite literally, haha)

Its widely known that modelling becomes a career for the lucky and talented few.
But if this is something that makes you feel good and you enjoy, then keep at it.

Ignore the entirely discouraging comments you will recieve, there will be many, but why the hell should you stop?

Good luck to you smile

Jul 10 12 05:55 pm Link

Model

Holly Harding

Sekseeshotz wrote:
This is typical of wannabe models who refuse to hear the facts. They get defensive and blame everyone else.

It is incredibly frustrating to be put down all of the time because you lack a couple of inches.

If the op were asking "how do i become a famous runway model?"
I would understand all the negativity. Shes asked for names and lists.
Thats all.

And if there aren't any in her area, whats the problem with her enjoying what she does?
She will either find some niche in which shes good at, or in her own time realise its not for her.

Jul 10 12 06:03 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

The answer is almost absolutely no.

Sometimes agencies make exceptions. But considering how many 5'10, size 0 girls agencies turn away all the time, what would make them want someone who doesn't fit any of the requirements?

There are a few 5'5ish girls out here that do ok (not amazing, but ok) ]-- and are with reputable agencies. They are on the commercial boards, though, and even then they were huge exceptions, AND two inches taller than you are.

Now, who's to say you aren't an exception? You can post in critique to see what people think of your look and stats for agency modeling.

Also, you can apply to agencies, show up to open calls, etc. If they want you, they want you.

I'd rightly prepare myself before going through that though.

I think you'd be better to hone in on your dancing skills and find some representation with that.

Or just sign up for LA Casting. It costs a few bucks a month and you can submit yourself to things. A lot of times they need dancers for music videos and don't care about height.

Jul 10 12 06:06 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

rosemerry wrote:

Good luck with that attitude, sweetheart.

Jul 10 12 06:13 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

V Laroche wrote:

Marry me.

Jul 10 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Syowa - permanent station of Japan, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

B R E N N A N wrote:

Marry me.

Don't do it, it's a trick!

Jul 10 12 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mark wrote:
Maybe the model agency will start a line of clothing for short women and put her in the campaign and Hire Steven Meisel to shoot it

Mark you made me spit my soda out my nose lol!

Jul 10 12 06:14 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Holly Harding wrote:

It is incredibly frustrating to be put down all of the time because you lack a couple of inches.

Thats all.

And if there aren't any in her area, whats the problem with her enjoying what she does?
She will either find some niche in which shes good at, or in her own time realise its not for her.

Holly, you should hear the rejections at real world castings. People here are positively polite in comparison to some of that.

I'm 5'7" and I'm considered far too short for many jobs. At 5'2" there is very little fully clothed work to be had, and agency representation is near impossible.

If she wants to model as a hobby and have some fun, I'd understand getting up in arms.

However, when working professionals are telling you that the school makes its money on lying, and the expectations they instill are extremely unrealistic, the OP should take heed.

Jul 10 12 06:17 pm Link

Model

BonnieAdele

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Unfortunately for agency modeling, 5'2" is considered very short, sad to say.  Unless you go to the agencies suggested above such as :

1). Talent/Acting
2). Some Alt if you have tattoos
3). Lifestyle which would be along lines with the talent agency that does commercial stuff
4). Art modeling for classes, ie,figure, sculpting etc.(sometime nude, sometime not)
5). Promotional work
6). Glamour, ie bikini although they usually have certain figure sizes with "hourglass" shapes being the norm
7). Fitness, especially if you are into the workout route
8). Private photographers that have specific requirements for a certain look
or maybe for someone who is a petite height
9). Parts but you have to have meticulously groomed hands,nails and feet if I remember correctly. They are very choosy about that.

Most shorter models get some work but not through a big modeling agency.  There are so many models who are taller and the agencies have their pick of them so they really don't even look at shorter girls.  It isn't meant to be critical but just stating facts.  If you have two girls who are the same look, same colouring, same facial features but one is 5'2" and the other 5'8", the agency will always choose the taller one because they can not only do runway and fashion but they can also do the parts,the commercial work even the fitness (unless they are super thin). The shorter gal just isn't as marketable and versatile for the agency's requirement as the taller one. A sad but real truth. 

Hope that helps.  Good luck !

Jul 10 12 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Star

rosemerry wrote:

stronger .

I have no idea what that means

Jul 10 12 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Holly Harding wrote:

Thats all.

Why would an agency sign a model who could not also do fashion and runway?  There is no incentive to hire a shorter model with limited bookings when there are lines of 5'10 models trying to get into the business.  Shure you don't have to be 5'10 for a beauty ad, but those 5'10 girls are also pretty and can do both.

It's about money, the agency is earring commissions and that is the bottom line.  They don't give a f*** about anyone's dreams and goals.

Jul 10 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Paige Morgan wrote:

Holly, you should hear the rejections at real world castings. People here are positively polite in comparison to some of that.

I'm 5'7" and I'm considered far too short for many jobs. At 5'2" there is very little fully clothed work to be had, and agency representation is near impossible.

If she wants to model as a hobby and have some fun, I'd understand getting up in arms.

However, when working professionals are telling you that the school makes its money on lying, and the expectations they instill are extremely unrealistic, the OP should take heed.

+1

Like Udor I shoot quite a bit here in NYC, and I have yet to see any client that has hired a model under 5'8", and those 5'*" girls were always from commercial divisions, you know the girl flipping pancakes in the kitchen etc.

At 5'2" no reputable agency that I know of will represent you. As some other have said when agencies are turning away 5'11" size 0 girls away and being even more selective in their direct/commercial divisions, you would have to match Aphrodite herself in beauty to get signed.

Jul 10 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Why would an agency sign a llama who could not also do fashion and runway?  There is no incentive to hire a shorter llama with limited bookings when there are lines of 5'10 llamas trying to get into the business.  Shure you don't have to be 5'10 for a beauty ad, but those 5'10 girls are also pretty and can do both.

It's about money, the agency is earring commissions and that is the bottom line.  They don't give a f*** about anyone's dreams and goals.

Jul 10 12 06:26 pm Link

Model

Holly Harding

Paige Morgan wrote:

I don't dispute what the majority of ahencies look for and the type of girls they hire.
And it is incredibly fierce competition in any case.

In the UK there are more opportunities for petite girls.
It just saddens me to see that in forums where you can get such good advice which can lead to creating amazing images, some individuals decide to ignore the original questions and create a hostile place to swap experience.

Jul 10 12 06:34 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Presley ONeil wrote:

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

V Laroche wrote:
It doesn't matter how good you can model, if I have a dress that fits a 5'10", size 0-2 model... you can be the best catwalker there is and the dress will never fit you and look good.

now just because im in a bad mood today.

Why is it that im the only person who this doesnt make a darn bit of sense to?? I can model. I have the look. And every measurement but height. so because im the average height of a woman that would be purchasing your garments, you wont let me model them? What goes through designers heads???

Clothes looks better on taller people...shows off lines much better.

Jul 10 12 07:30 pm Link